South African bliss for Oprah's U.S. dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
jag, topdog

I agree with those posts.

I was watching Good Morning America this morning. Diane Sawyer is over in South Africa with Oprah covering this story. She asked Oprah why she didn't build a school in America. Oprah responded that she's already doing a lot here. She mentioned how she had put 100 young men thru Morehouse.
I can respect a response like that. :tup:

It's nothing like her negative generalization in the article posted here.

Much better response.

I was watching Good Morning America this morning. Diane Sawyer is over in South Africa with Oprah covering this story. She asked Oprah why she didn't build a school in America. Oprah responded that she's already doing a lot here. She mentioned how she had put 100 young men thru Morehouse.
I can respect a response like that. :tup:

It's nothing like her negative generalization in the article posted here.

Much better response.

Yeah, you know how we don't like the truth! GOOD PR response, Oprah! :tup: You know how we have to appease our people.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
We, as a people, do tend to generalize some about each other, the opposite sex, etc... (we do it all the time on this board).... but one other thing I've noticed about US: We just don't like the truth! And that's real!
We'll never heal as a people until we can own up to our reality. We love to cover up things, hate, judge, point fingers and find fault in others who don't do things as we would---- as if our way is the ONLY right way. :tdown:

My thing is that we blame the WRONG folks. The kids are in a terrible state... some are bad, some are good, some are downright terrible and some are exceptional. The blame for the good ones usually goes to the parents. The blame for the bad ones many times goes straight to the kids. The parents need to be blamed for the bad kids...and if the bad parents do not try to do better, do we STILL blame the kids totally?

I KNOW the truth... see it every day. I also know where it starts... AT HOME!

My thing is that we blame the WRONG folks. The kids are in a terrible state... some are bad, some are good, some are downright terrible and some are exceptional. The blame for the good ones usually goes to the parents. The blame for the bad ones many times goes straight to the kids. The parents need to be blamed for the bad kids...and if the bad parents do not try to do better, do we STILL blame the kids totally?

Agreed. The children are not to blame. But what do we do about the parents without trampling all over their civil rights?

We all know it starts at home.
When Oprah was talking about her views of inner city kids, she wasn't placing blame. She was stating part of her reason for putting money in Africa.

But if we're going to talk about blame for the state of how these kids are, it does belong on the parents!

Give the kids an "out" while away from home.. i.e. AT SCHOOL. :idea:

We do that already. I have donated, as have others, thousands of dollars and thousands of hours for after school, extra curricular activities. What next?

How do you solve the gang culture? How do you solve the lack of ambition? How do you solve the safety issues? How do you fire incompetent teachers? How do you solve any of these issues when the parents and the unions fight against you?

We do that already. I have donated thousands of dollars and hours for extra curricular activities. What next?

We need to lead by example and connect with kids. We need to be more hands-on and involved in their lives. We need to communicate. Hell, we need therapy. :lol:

Hell, we need therapy. :lol:

Now that's the truth right there! :tup:

Oprah didn't sugar-coat her reasons on why she did what she wanted to with her money. If I was in the same position, I would have been just as up front about it and maybe, just maybe it would kickstart somebody to step up and make a change.

If you're living that life daily, it is up to you to make a change in YOUR neighborhood. Stop sitting back waiting on somebody else to step in. People will see the things you're doing to make YOUR neighborhood better and blessings will pour in you want be able to contain...:nod:

We do that already. I have donated, as have others, thousands of dollars and thousands of hours for after school, extra curricular activities. What next?

How do you solve the gang culture? How do you solve the lack of ambition? How do you solve the safety issues? How do you fire incompetent teachers? How do you solve any of these issues when the parents and the unions fight against you?

You don't stop... you have given your time (more valuable than money most times), but you (and me) are in the minority. Get our friends to come along with us when we go to these schools, etc.

Teachers...there are bad ones but most that I come in contact with get excited when they have kids who want to learn.

...Teachers...there are bad ones but most that I come in contact with get excited when they have kids who want to learn.

Of course, but those kids who get excited about learning are usually not the ones from the problem family situations.

I said teachers who get excited about kids who want to learn... not many kids get EXCITED about learning, but many want to succeed. I was speaking of your comment about bad teachers.

I said teachers who get excited about kids who want to learn... not many kids get EXCITED about learning, but many want to succeed. I was speaking of your comment about bad teachers.

Gotcha! :tup: But it's easy to get excited about the kids who want to learn. What do we do about the rest?

I don't think you can do much for the kids who truly don't want to learn.

I would venture to say that most kids do want to finish high school, and the ones who truly have no goals are almost a lost cause, until they get to an age where they realize they need at least a GED.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It's Oprah's money and she can do what she wants with it, that's her right, and I applaud her for all that she's doing to help those girls in Africa, but I certainly would hate to think that what she said about inner city kids applies to all inner city kids. I don't think it's right to give up on them though. Just think if teachers felt the same way and gave up on these kids as well. I do have a question though. Why is she only helping the African girls? Does she not think that African boys deserve an education too?

GLAD YOU ASKED. This is the first school. Another will be opening at the end of the month for boys and girls. And if I heard it right, another will open for boys. She started with girls and she saw herself in these poor young girls as she was once one of them. She chose Africa for obvious reasons. Good question!

I don't think you can do much for the kids who truly don't want to learn.

I would venture to say that most kids do want to finish high school, and the ones who truly have no goals are almost a lost cause, until they get to an age where they realize they need at least a GED.

She told the girls they will go to any university of their choice when they finish that school. A little girl asked "and who is going to pay for that". She told the girl, "I am going to pay for it"....The girl wept because she was excited at the THOUGHT of and education!

That IS A DESIRE TO LEARN! Oprah said she believes that an educated person can change the world!

She told the girls they will go to any university of their choice when they finish that school. A little girl asked "and who is going to pay for that". She told the girl, "I am going to pay for it"....The girl wept because she was excited at the THOUGHT of and education!

That IS A DESIRE TO LEARN! Oprah said she believes that an educated person can change the world!
She also told them they could NOT get pregnant or do drugs and/or alcohol.

Good Job Oprah.

I aint gonna hate on her for this. She is doing a GREAT thing and mofos need to step back and acknowledge what she is doing for the greater good of humanity.

Kids in the US have something, those young people in Africa have NOTHING.

You dont like what Oprah is doing....Get your own d@mn money and start a school in "your town" USA.

:jump:

I am with you there! I wish I could have put up her press conference that was on XM 156 this morning. It says so much about her compassion!

Hell I would cry too...lol

I was speaking of a desire to learn at the pre-college level of course... and if they have aspirations of college I am sure they are trying to learn in high school.

Good Job Oprah.

I aint gonna hate on her for this. She is doing a GREAT thing and mofos need to step back and acknowledge what she is doing for the greater good of humanity.

Kids in the US have something, those young people in Africa have NOTHING.

You dont like what Oprah is doing....Get your own d@mn money and start a school in "your town" USA.

How did I miss this! :lol:

Good post Sonny! :tup:

Oprah Winfrey Opens School in South Africa
By CELEAN JACOBSON
AP
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Jan. 2) - Oprah Winfrey opened a school Tuesday for disadvantaged girls, fulfilling a promise she made to former President Nelson Mandela six years ago and giving more than 150 students a chance for a better future.

"I wanted to give this opportunity to girls who had a light so bright that not even poverty could dim that light," Winfrey said at a news conference.

Mandela, 88, attended the opening ceremony of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in the small town of Henley-on-Klip, south of Johannesburg. He looked frail as he was helped on to the stage by his wife, Graca Machel, and Winfrey. But he beamed with joy and his speech resonated with pride.

"It is my hope that this school will become the dream of every South African girl and they will study hard and qualify for the school one day," he said in a firm voice.

Mandela thanked Winfrey for the "personal time and effort" she devoted to the school.

"This is not a distant donation but a project that clearly lies close to your heart," said the anti-apartheid leader who became multiracial South Africa's first democratically elected president in 1994.

Hell I would cry too...lol

I was speaking of a desire to learn at the pre-college level of course... and if they have aspirations of college I am sure they are trying to learn in high school.

Yes, I agree. Also, she said that she had already helped some girls in the states because AT THAT TIME, she thought the "projects" was the problem. The girl graduated and did well, but she went back to the projects and her mother beat her up for doing it.

Also, she began taking entire families out of the projects but she said that program failed because she felt that she could not change people's thinking by simply moving them from one place to another.....so fell back on her father's teaching "To whom much is given, much is required..." and she realized that educating them is much better than simply giving them shoes etc. It was a greater thing to her. They could use some shoes only for a time, but educating them is far greater because it lasts a lifetime.

I saw it on Entertainment Tonight.

How is mofo's hating when she is trying to do something for the Greater Good of Man.

She said that she aint giving to mofos that just want iPODS and a new watch. And I dont blame her on that one. Those girls looked excited about being at a clean school with new Uniforms and clean bathing and drinking water.
I think they also live at the school too. Its like a Xavier's (X-men referrence) to where they live and get their education.

REAL TALK, it did touch a brother to see those young girls getting at a shot to really ACHEIVE and have the chance to change their lives and the society around them.

I may not like some stuff that O does but you cant hate on her for this one.
Like Chris Rock said...."Its her Money and she's doing with it what she feels like doing with it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back