South African bliss for Oprah's U.S. dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is this woman's calling/purpose, then to hell with what you haters are saying. The Lord is constantly blessing this woman, so she must be doing something right, Keep doing your thing, O~...you don't have to answer to anyone but Christ. Let em talk about you, all they want. That just means you're doing something right...when you leave this place, He'll say, "well done, my good a faithful servant." :tup:

Clapping over here :nod:

hmmm, interesting...maybe this is one of the reasons why she didn't open a school here, in the U.S. You never know what her reasons may or may not be...bottom line is she's helping someone. That SHOULD BE ALL THAT MATTERS!

AMEN ^^^^

I just watched the ribbon cutting and it was a beautiful moment, especially to see Oprah in that pink dress in line with all those girls in their green uniforms. :winkgrin:

Yall can say what you want. For Oprah to say inner city kids don't care about schools and goes to Africa to open one if crazy. Like I said I will never give any money to another country as long as there are homeless Americans starving and lacking the educational tools to be viewed as the top students in the world.

Sad part is some of your children are in school and what if she made her opinion based off of their school, which you may speak highly of? Would you be offended?

Let me hush...this is Oprah...the pillar of all that is good.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The isht wouldn't bother me if I knew it was the truth. Hell, parents know when their kids are apathetic. Usually, when the KIDS are apathetic, the PARENTS are, as well.

Having taught for a dozen years, and in both inner city and suburban schools, I can say with some conviction that her comments weren't too far off the mark. I have kids right now just waiting to turn 16 so they can drop out (I know this because they tell me these things). Kids don't appreciate isht, try to learn even less, and have a lack of respect for themselves and others that I have not seen in damned near a decade, and I teach in the suburbs.

In my opinion, what is most unfortunate about this entire situation is that the state of public education is so fukked that the people with the MOST wherewithall to make a difference choose not to do so.

Again, I'm not a fan of Oprah, but I respect the fact Oprah's money is just that. It ain't my place to tell her where to spend it, or judge how she chooses to spend it.

Having taught for a dozen years, and in both inner city and suburban schools, I can say with some conviction that her comments weren't too far off the mark. I have kids right now just waiting to turn 16 so they can drop out (I know this because they tell me these things). Kids don't appreciate isht, try to learn even less, and have a lack of respect for themselves and others that I have not seen in damned near a decade, and I teach in the suburbs.

Vinita,

Should we just give up then? See I look at McDonough in NOLA. I went and visited the school with the President of my company to begin the adoption process of the school. Those kids were not stupid are cared less, they were angry....their anger is what is placing them in complacent part of thinking or for that matter life.

Oprah is, whether we like it or not the pillar of America. Not just the black community anymore, there are so many kids who want a quality education but don't recieve it because teachers are not getting paid enough, crime in schools, and host of other problems.

Why ship her money, that she recieved from AMERICANS, and when she was the bottom talk show host who ran in to watched her? Black people in inner cities.

Again, I digress.

:smug:

I don't know what y'all gonna do. I'm going to work in the morning, and Oprah's going to give her money to young people who appreciate the gesture, instead of those who might think she "owes" them something because they watch her show, or watched one of her movies, or bought her magazine.

Hell, if she gave a millions to a school district in Chicago, you'd have futhamuckas wondering why she didn't give millions in Tennessee, where she went to college, or Mississippi, where she was born, or in some other place, just because she passed through there on her tour with Gayle and bought some gas. :rolleyes:

The isht wouldn't bother me if I knew it was the truth. Hell, parents know when their kids are apathetic. Usually, when the KIDS are apathetic, the PARENTS are, as well.

In my opinion, what is most unfortunate about this entire situation is that the state of public education is so fukked that the people with the MOST wherewithall to make a difference choose not to do so.

Again, I'm not a fan of Oprah, but I respect the fact Oprah's money is just that. It ain't my place to tell her where to spend it, or judge how she chooses to spend it.

Vinita is that the majority of the kids, though? I mean, I renmember it being the case when I was younger too, but it was far from even being most of the kids.

Nope, it isn't the majority. Well, at least not in my building.

When I taught someplace else though, yeah ... it WAS the majority.

Nope, it isn't the majority. Well, at least not in my building.

When I taught someplace else though, yeah ... it WAS the majority.

Wow.. I hope you mean the majority of the ones in YOUR class. :(

But for real the only place I see that ANY change could start is at home. Teachers can only teach those who want to learn.

Oprah Winfrey is firing back at critics of her decision to build a $40 million school complex in South Africa - saying she didn't build it in the U.S. because inner-city kids here don't appreciate the value of a free education.

"I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn't there," the TV talk-show maven says in the current issue of Newsweek.

"If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers. In South Africa, they don't ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school."

The tough talk comes as the famously philanthropic Winfrey unveils her Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa - a sprawling, 28-building complex for impoverished teens that features a yoga studio and beauty salon, among other luxuries.

The 22-acre complex has taken more than five years to build and has raised eyebrows in the U.S. and abroad, she said.

"I understand that many ...feel that I'm going overboard, and that's fine," Winfrey said. "This is what I want to do. I wanted to take girls with that 'it' quality and give them an opportunity to make a difference in the world."

Winfrey handpicked the 152 girls who will attend out of an application pool of more than 3,500. Winfrey has also supplied millions of dollars to educate needy children in the U.S. through the Oprah Winfrey Scholars program.

Link to article

THE MAIN REASON I LIKE OPRAH IS THAT SHE DOES WHAT SHE DAMN WELL PLEASES AND IT ALWAYS HELPS SOMEBODY. I heard her specifically state that she liked that the children in Africa WANT to learn....and it reminded her of herself. Not to mention many of lived in tiny shacks with no running water or electricity. Also some of those children WANTED and KNEW THEY NEEDED to learn so much so that they would walk barefoot for 2 miles before day just to get to the school. The desire was there and her heart felt it!

Uhm, the organization is a non-profit 501 3c academy.

It's Oprah's money and she can do what she wants with it, that's her right, and I applaud her for all that she's doing to help those girls in Africa, but I certainly would hate to think that what she said about inner city kids applies to all inner city kids. I don't think it's right to give up on them though. Just think if teachers felt the same way and gave up on these kids as well. I do have a question though. Why is she only helping the African girls? Does she not think that African boys deserve an education too?

Truth is some ya'll wouldn't like it if somebody told you how to spend your cents, but you wants to judge somebody on how they spend their dollars.

:smh:

"I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn't there," the TV talk-show maven says in the current issue of Newsweek.

"If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers.

Still for her to say that she thinks inner city kids don't appreciate schools to me is reaching for justification. As a black man, generalizing is not our best friend if you know what I mean.
I agree. And we all know that, for the most part "inner-city schools/kids" mean black schools/kids. And to make such a negative stereotype is out of place. Especially from someone with her background.

It's great that she is building the school, but she's wrong in slamming our kids here at home.

It's great that she is building the school, but she's wrong in slamming our kids here at home.

Is it slamming or is it some truth to it?

Let's not act like our kids these days are truly interested in education. Many of us can look at our younger relatives and TV to see how this current generation is. It may not be everybody, but it's a good deal of our kids who don't care anymore and definitely have a HUGE lack of respect for themselves and others.
So, let's not act like Oprah is just flatout lying.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SOME truth is there... but it is not all kids. They already have books and a building... they won't ask for that. An Ipod... I understand... but she also said some African kids wanted some of the same things the inner city kids wanted. She should do whatever with her money, just don't justify it with a generalization of the kids here.

Is it slamming or is it some truth to it?

Let's not act like our kids these days are truly interested in education. Many of us can look at our younger relatives and TV to see how this current generation is. It may not be everybody, but it's a good deal of our kids who don't care anymore and definitely have a HUGE lack of respect for themselves and others.
So, let's not act like Oprah is just flatout lying.

If a white person would've said the exact same thing as Oprah said about those inner city kids, I think some people would see it as slamming.

SOME truth is there... but it is not all kids. They already have books and a building... they won't ask for that. An Ipod... I understand... but she also said some African kids wanted some of the same things the inner city kids wanted. She should do whatever with her money, just don't justify it with a generalization of the kids here.

I guess it she would've thrown in that: It has been MY experience or when I asked SOME inner city kids what they wanted or that SOME inner city kids don't SEEM to take a serious interest in education... then it'll would've been better.

We, as a people, do tend to generalize some about each other, the opposite sex, etc... (we do it all the time on this board).... but one other thing I've noticed about US: We just don't like the truth! And that's real!
We'll never heal as a people until we can own up to our reality. We love to cover up things, hate, judge, point fingers and find fault in others who don't do things as we would---- as if our way is the ONLY right way. :tdown:

We, as a people, do tend to generalize some about each other, the opposite sex, etc... (we do it all the time on this board).... but one other thing I've noticed about US: We just don't like the truth! And that's real!
We'll never heal as a people until we can own up to our reality. We love to cover up things, hate, judge, point fingers and find fault in others who don't do things as we would---- as if our way is the ONLY right way. :tdown:

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Now you sure did tell the truth about that! That sugar-coating is messing us up big-time! :tdown:

jag, topdog

I agree with those posts.

I was watching Good Morning America this morning. Diane Sawyer is over in South Africa with Oprah covering this story. She asked Oprah why she didn't build a school in America. Oprah responded that she's already doing a lot here. She mentioned how she had put 100 young men thru Morehouse.
I can respect a response like that. :tup:

It's nothing like her negative generalization in the article posted here.

Vinita,

Should we just give up then?

...their anger is what is placing them in complacent part of thinking or for that matter life.

... there are so many kids who want a quality education but don't recieve it because teachers are not getting paid enough, crime in schools, and host of other problems...

:smug:

No, of course not. We should not give up on the kids! But how do we fix the problem? New Orleans government and public services are the most disfunctional imaginable, the public schools included. :upset:

Money is not the entire problem. If it were, why do some parochial schools send well prepared students to college with less per pupil expenditures? :uhoh:

I am not saying that great teachers do not deserve great salaries, but there are a lot of teachers that are just plain bad. Years ago, I taught Junior Achievement for two second grade classes at the school outside the gate at the Naval Station on the West Bank. The teacher for the first class was well organized, and appeared to be firm but fair, patient but demanding, and disciplined but loving with each child in the class. Her students were focused and well behaved (with her constant help). The teacher for the second class presided over chaos and immediately demanded to know from me, "Where's my brief case?!?" Apparently she expected a gift from Junior Achievement, and that was her primary concern. Her students were neither focused nor well behaved. :scared:

The parents aren't much better. I don't know which kind of parent is worse at a PTA meeting: the absent, non-engaged parent who could care less, or the angry illiterate idiot who fights every kind of reform intended to provide for safety and set high expectations. Both kinds of parent exist in abundance in New Orleans. How will money solve that problem? ...and how do you solve that kind of problem without interfering in the parents' civil rights? :no:

Should we just give up then?

Does Oprah need to lead the race for other people to help? Are people going to give up helping because Oprah didn't give where "they" thought she should? You have to do what YOU can and not worry about who will step to the plate with you. Oprah doesn't owe anyone an explanation on where she spends her money.

Hell, if she gave a millions to a school district in Chicago, you'd have futhamuckas wondering why she didn't give millions in Tennessee, where she went to college, or Mississippi, where she was born, or in some other place, just because she passed through there on her tour with Gayle and bought some gas. :rolleyes:

Say that!!!

Good Job Oprah.

I aint gonna hate on her for this. She is doing a GREAT thing and mofos need to step back and acknowledge what she is doing for the greater good of humanity.

Kids in the US have something, those young people in Africa have NOTHING.

You dont like what Oprah is doing....Get your own d@mn money and start a school in "your town" USA.

Keep doing your thing, Oprah...JESUS is smiling. Don't worry about the haters...they'll be here hatin' until you die and after you're dead and gone. :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back