South African bliss for Oprah's U.S. dis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToPdOg

Oprah Winfrey is firing back at critics of her decision to build a $40 million school complex in South Africa - saying she didn't build it in the U.S. because inner-city kids here don't appreciate the value of a free education.

"I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn't there," the TV talk-show maven says in the current issue of Newsweek.

"If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers. In South Africa, they don't ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school."

The tough talk comes as the famously philanthropic Winfrey unveils her Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa - a sprawling, 28-building complex for impoverished teens that features a yoga studio and beauty salon, among other luxuries.

The 22-acre complex has taken more than five years to build and has raised eyebrows in the U.S. and abroad, she said.

"I understand that many ...feel that I'm going overboard, and that's fine," Winfrey said. "This is what I want to do. I wanted to take girls with that 'it' quality and give them an opportunity to make a difference in the world."

Winfrey handpicked the 152 girls who will attend out of an application pool of more than 3,500. Winfrey has also supplied millions of dollars to educate needy children in the U.S. through the Oprah Winfrey Scholars program.

Link to article

Go head, Oprah! It's YOUR money!!!!
The main ones to complain are the ones who don't put in time and/or money for education or things to help our youth.

So it's cool for her to run to Africa and build a school for those kids instead of building one here in the U.S. where she recieved her education, where WE are the majority supporting her...simply because she is pissed at inner city kids?

I wonder if the kids at McDonough down in New Orleans would appreciate a school....or.....a home.

Interesting.

So it's cool for her to run to Africa and build a school for those kids instead of building one here in the U.S. where she recieved her education, where WE are the majority supporting her...simply because she is pissed at inner city kids?

I wonder if the kids at McDonough down in New Orleans would appreciate a school....or.....a home.

Interesting.

Didn't she just donate home(s) to Katrina victims?
Doesn't she donate money to HBCU's/schools throughout the U.S.?

Daymn...how bout you build a school!!!

Interesting.

Mark, she does give money in the US and in education too.

And you really need to keep up, dear. She has donated MILLIONS to the Hurricane Katrina victims. And has not only donated millions of her OWN money but has spearheaded many others to give.

Do your research.

She made a point a couple of years ago about why she was helping the young people in Africa in this particular endeavor over helping in the U.S.
Her response was (and I'm paraphrasing): Over here (in the U.S.), we have opportunity. The opportunity is here-- whether we take advantage of it or not. Over there, there is no opportunity like it is here. So, she is helping where there is NO HOPE!!!!

And she's absolutely right! It's called putting your money where it's most needed.

Still for her to say that she thinks inner city kids don't appreciate schools to me is reaching for justification. As a black man, generalizing is not our best friend if you know what I mean.

Didn't she just donate home(s) to Katrina victims?
Doesn't she donate money to HBCU's/schools throughout the U.S.?

Daymn...how bout you build a school!!!

I'm doing my part with what I have and the money I have will never leave the US. I will NEVER donate to another country. There are so many children in the US who are in need. It bothers me every time I see some millionaire who became rich off of US citizens running to Africa on some type of crusade when each morning I wake up I see US children going to school hungry.

I digress....

I'm doing my part with what I have and the money I have will never leave the US. I will NEVER donate to another country. There are so many children in the US who are in need. It bothers me every time I see some millionaire who became rich off of US citizens running to Africa on some type of crusade when each morning I wake up I see US children going to school hungry.

I digress....

And she isnt?

I digress....

I can respect your feelings. Because after all, how you spend your money is your business. As is with Oprah.

She could have just said, "Fukk y'all. These are MY damned millions, and I'ma spend 'em where I damned well please, and I DO NOT OWE any of you futhamuckas an explanation, and those who don't like it can KISS MY ENTIRE ASS."

That's what I would have said. :nod:

She could have just said, "Fukk y'all. These are MY damned millions, and I'ma spend 'em where I damned well please, and I DO NOT OWE any of you futhamuckas an explanation, and those who don't like it can KISS MY ENTIRE ASS."

That's what I would have said. :nod:
:lmao:
AMEN - I would have said something like that, she was being nice.

Good job O!!!

Everything this woman does people hate on her for it...black folks are black folks own worst enemy....I just have to :smh: at my people. It is just sickening....and we wonder why ALL of us don't prosper like Oprah, as a people. :tdown:

If this is this woman's calling/purpose, then to hell with what you haters are saying. The Lord is constantly blessing this woman, so she must be doing something right, regardless of how you Oprah haters feel.

Let's see how many of you broke-down bustas can go build a damn school anywhere for anybody and do what she's doing. How many of you can give away the amounts of money, this woman is giving? How many of you can donate some houses to Katrina victims?

Stop complaining so gottdamm much when you see someone clearly doing good for others. Maybe she feels the U.S. has the resources to do for their own, and Africa doesn't. Who TF are you to judge her about how and what she does w/her money?

y'all are so simple.

Keep doing your thing, O~...you don't have to answer to anyone but Christ. Let em talk about you, all they want. That just means you're doing something right...when you leave this place, He'll say, "well done, my good a faithful servant." :tup:

You don't have to say a word. We all know that anything that deals with Oprah, you'll come running!

NO....................Anything OPRAH DO...............YA'LL ACT LIKE YA'LL GETTING A CUT TO ADVERTISE IT.
Ya'll post about her like you on her PR Payroll. :lol:

Who cares........................She ain't doing nothing that other rich people have/are already done/doing in Africa. :nod:

As for me running to Oprah threads...................Please............I post on most threads. :goof:
Sorry I gotta get permission to post on the Queens thread. :shame:
Not getting into it any deeper because when it comes to Oprah...................Ya'll are only going to see and read what you WANT TO SEE AND READ. :nod:

But anywho....................Continue on................have fun. :nod:

NO....................Anything OPRAH DO...............YA'LL ACT LIKE YA'LL GETTING A CUT TO ADVERTISE IT.
Ya'll post about her like you on her PR Payroll. :lol:

Who cares........................She ain't doing nothing that other rich people have/are already done/doing in Africa. :nod:

As for me running to Oprah threads...................Please............I post on most threads. :goof:
Sorry I gotta get permission to post on the Queens thread. :shame:
Not getting into it any deeper because when it comes to Oprah...................Ya'll are only going to see and read what you WANT TO SEE AND READ. :nod:

But anywho....................Continue on................have fun. :nod:

Calm down, man! :lol: We all know how passionate you are about Oprah.

Everything this woman does people hate on her for it...black folks are black folks own worst enemy....I just have to :smh: at my people. It is just sickening....and we wonder why ALL of us don't prosper like Oprah, as a people. :tdown:

If this is this woman's calling/purpose, then to hell with what you haters are saying. The Lord is constantly blessing this woman, so she must be doing something right, regardless of how you Oprah haters feel.

Let's see how many of you broke-down bustas can go build a damn school anywhere for anybody and do what she's doing. How many of you can give away the amounts of money, this woman is giving? How many of you can donate some houses to Katrina victims?

Stop complaining so gottdamm much when you see someone clearly doing good for others. Maybe she feels the U.S. has the resources to do for their own, and Africa doesn't. Who TF are you to judge her about how and what she does w/her money?

y'all are so simple.

Keep doing your thing, O~...you don't have to answer to anyone but Christ. Let em talk about you, all they want. That just means you're doing something right...when you leave this place, He'll say, "well done, my good a faithful servant." :tup:

I have taught in an Alternative setting and have yet to see one that liked school. There goal was to reach 16 or 17 to drop out. AND THEY DID!!By the way, I taught in a predominantly white setting. The best thing you can offer them in a school is free time on a computer. So Oprah, put your money where it will be appreciated.

I have taught in an Alternative setting and have yet to see one that liked school. There goal was to reach 16 or 17 to drop out. AND THEY DID!!By the way, I taught in a predominantly white setting. The best thing you can offer them in a school is free time on a computer. So Oprah, put your money where it will be appreciated.
hmmm, interesting...maybe this is one of the reasons why she didn't open a school here, in the U.S. You never know what her reasons may or may not be...bottom line is she's helping someone. That SHOULD BE ALL THAT MATTERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back