Shawn Gibbs to FAMU?

Its a helluva hire but they wanna do things "the FAMU way". But to get a coach off the Broadway Tree, where his disciples have multiple Celebration Bowl rings, is not a bad way to go. Plus, Gibbs understands the importance of staff chemistry and continuity. It's not a bad hire, at all.

But Rattlers are gonna be emotional about it.

A big part of the problem with FAMU is the fact that factions leak stuff to Rattler Nation. This whole thing is unfair to Coach Gibbs, AD Sykes, President Robinson, and the FAMU BOT.

Plus, most of the Rattlers waving sabers against this do not donate!

When you say outside hire, what do you mean? I just want to make sure that my thoughts are in line with the question.

When you say outside hire, what do you mean? I just want to make sure that my thoughts are in line with the question.
Alumni and players want someone who is currently on that staff to be the HC.

However, the AD is very familiar with Coach Trei Oliver and Coach Shawn Gibbs from her days at Grambling with them. She also stays in touch with them and they are friends. So, they're all Broadway Disciples.

This would be an outside hire because Gibbs has no FAMU ties, as he's a NCCU Grad.

Leave that man alone.
Dave Chappelle Smirk GIF

I don't think it's a home run hire but I also don't think it's a bad hire. My biggest concern is that the players are all in for who they want. It's a lot trickier to navigate because of the season they just had.

Can you, as an administrator, make a hire based on what the players want, who most of them won't be around in 1-2 years?
I think you can take who they want into consideration. They are currently the most important ambassadors to the program. They can make the optics of this look really good or really horribly and that can be influential with alum and supporters who you just asked for money a week ago because of the coaching situation. Not only will they have to play for whomever is picked but they will be alum in 1-2 years and we'll be asking them for money too. If she gets this wrong she might not be there in 1 - 2 years.

I was referring to someone outside of their current regime. Apparently, the alumni and players want to keep the hire in house.

I think you can take who they want into consideration. They are currently the most important ambassadors to the program. They can make the optics of this look really good or really horribly and that can be influential with alum and supporters who you just asked for money a week ago because of the coaching situation. Not only will they have to play for whomever is picked but they will be alum in 1-2 years and we'll be asking them for money too. If she gets this wrong she might not be there in 1 - 2 years.
But what if the AD goes with who the players want, and that guy sucks?

Alumni and players want someone who is currently on that staff to be the HC.

However, the AD is very familiar with Coach Trei Oliver and Coach Shawn Gibbs from her days at Grambling with them. She also stays in touch with them and they are friends. So, they're all Broadway Disciples.

This would be an outside hire because Gibbs has no FAMU ties, as he's a NCCU Grad.
That's what I was thinking. If you think about it, Willie Simmons was not a FAMU graduate. He went to Clemson. What made it easy for him is the fact that he is from Quincy. I hope whoever we (speaking as a fan) get is the right fit.

The players shouldnt have the final say. Any pick could ultimately prove to be unsuccessful. Optics matter. Getting buy in from your
constituents matters. Part of the job of being an AD is being able to sell the decisions you make. If they lose trust in your decision making ability then your time will be short.

Last edited:

Gosha was polarizing. He has some really notable highs and some well published and self inflicted lows. Either way he left his mark on FAMU. For as many people that don't like her there were as many people that thought he was too young and inexperienced to be hired in the first place (ironically it was probably his inexperience and ambition that cost him the job). Not being liked comes with the job unfortunately. Her decision will eventually come down to if she wants to bet her job on her own intuition or the desire of others. Get it right and the people won't have a choice but to respect her. Get it wrong and she better start hoping she's gained favor with the right people. The safe choice would be to hire in house. The safe choice isn't always the right choice though.

His past 2 seasons at FVSU were 8-2 and 8-3 with only Benedict standing in their way in the SIAC

It’s a tough one. However, Billy Rolle and Ryan Smith who created a TOUGH defense during this run that Willie Simmons had at FAMU both probably deserved serious looks as head coach…especially Rolle.

His past 2 seasons at FVSU were 8-2 and 8-3 with only Benedict standing in their way in the SIAC
The thought then shifts to “Why not hire Quinn Gray?” if tapping the SIAC coaching pool.

Gray beat Gibbs’ FVSU team this season as reached the SIAC Championship.

FWIW, I do think Gibbs could do well at FAMU…but he would be walking into a situation where he would have earn the trust of Ratter fans immediately. FAMU alumni are absolutely terrified of falling into the funk that 2012-2017 was. That was the worst stretch of Rattler football in school history.

That's what I was thinking. If you think about it, Willie Simmons was not a FAMU graduate. He went to Clemson. What made it easy for him is the fact that he is from Quincy. I hope whoever we (speaking as a fan) get is the right fit.
What made it easy for him is that FAMU sucked. Right now, FAMU is coming off of a CB and HBCU National championship. Why start over? Gibbs would make a great hire for an average program that wants to take that next step.

What made it easy for him is that FAMU sucked. Right now, FAMU is coming off of a CB and HBCU National championship. Why start over? Gibbs would make a great hire for an average program that wants to take that next step.
No argument from me. We were struggling for a little bit. Like I said before, I'm good with the hire as long as we keep the momentum going.

The thought then shifts to “Why not hire Quinn Gray?” if tapping the SIAC coaching pool.

Gray beat Gibbs’ FVSU team this season as reached the SIAC Championship.

FWIW, I do think Gibbs could do well at FAMU…but he would be walking into a situation where he would have earn the trust of Ratter fans immediately. FAMU alumni are absolutely terrified of falling into the funk that 2012-2017 was. That was the worst stretch of Rattler football in school history.

Gray is too many friends with FAMU folks - they're all up in the program - you see how a certain HBCU Gameday employee is voicing their feelings - Simmons knew the players and had them do his dirty work - Gibbs brings day-to-day power back to the AD's chair concerning football

they dont care about anything else at FAMU

Back