Sha'Carri Richardson, the next Flo-Jo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, she is fast, but I doubt if she will be the next Flo Jo. In my opinion, there is no such thing as the "next" anybody. Saying she could be the next Flo Jo is putting unnecessary pressure on this young lady. As a matter of fact, she got her hat handed to her at the Gateshead Diamond League meet in England last week.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
She came in second to Dina Asher Smith in a downpour where no one broke 11 seconds. She didn't get her hat handed to her and she had just ran sub 10.8 two times...one in a headwind. Next Flo Jo? I wouldn't say that because as I watch her form, her overall stride is different. Take into account that she is shorter than Flo Jo but appears to be much stronger. I DO think either she or Fraser Pryce will tie that 10.49 or break it within the next 2-3years. If Sha'Carri can relax into the last 30 meters like Flo Jo did...then she'll get it. She's so efficient right now and hasn't even really hit that stride after she pulls away in her top end. She's so beautiful to watch too.

Well, she is fast, but I doubt if she will be the next Flo Jo. In my opinion, there is no such thing as the "next" anybody. Saying she could be the next Flo Jo is putting unnecessary pressure on this young lady. As a matter of fact, she got her hat handed to her at the Gateshead Diamond League meet in England last week.

I've been waiting on you. Before Flo Jo starting setting those records wasn't she consistently a third place finisher? I can't remember who she was finishing behind. In my head it was Evelyn Ashford and Vallerie Briscoe-Hooks, but am not sure. Can you clear that up for me?

I've been waiting on you. Before Flo Jo starting setting those records wasn't she consistently a third place finisher? I can't remember who she was finishing behind. In my head it was Evelyn Ashford and Vallerie Briscoe-Hooks, but am not sure. Can you clear that up for me?
Ashford for sure

She came in second to Dina Asher Smith in a downpour where no one broke 11 seconds.
Well, what if there is a down pour in Eugene (Olympic Trials) or Tokyo (Olympics)? You have to be able to perform under all conditions. Don't get me wrong, I am wishing the young lady all the best. Hell, no American woman has won the 100 meters at the Olympics since Gail Devers in 1996. That needs to change.

Yes, you are right about Ashford. Not so much Brisco-Hooks if memory serves me correctly. Florence Griffith would also finish 2nd and 3rd to the East German women, well up until 1988. That is when everything changed.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I'm in the camp that believes Flo Jo wasn't as legit as her record suggests but since she never got caught, a record is record . Women are getting faster. Someone will break it eventually.
I hear this crap that athletes are better with better training methods and yet, some records are still standing with people that did not have the training methods they have today. That 10.49 will be tough to beat and have not seen too many I have confidence in breaking it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back