Scantily-Clad Dancers of SWAC & Other HBCU Bands

Y’all can hate Haymer but don’t hate on the dolls. JSU people will attempt anything. Just made because their tradition ain’t as STRONG and colorful lol

In recent weeks, I have watched videos of all but one SWAC band and several other HBCU bands. I am well aware that these comments will not set well with some. At the outset it should be noted that I am a True Blue Southern Jaguar, not just with my mouth but also with my money. I firmly believe that the SU Human Jukebox is the finest marching band in the country, HBCU or otherwise, and that most national publications and media outlets are right on target when they rank them as such. But as an "old school" and as a father and grandfather of two young ladies, I would be on edge if either of my daughters had to dance as a member of the Golden Girls, the fabulous Dancin' Dolls, or any of the other SWAC dance troupes. Without question, the Dancin' Dolls are always beautiful, always gorgeous, and always sexy. Consequently, IMO, they do not need to be so thinly attired to be appealing. During some performances, it is difficult to ascertain if the outfits being worn are their uniforms/costumes, or their underwear. This goes for all the dance troupes in SWAC bands, many of whom are not nearly as attractive and poised as the Dolls. I do, however, commend the unwillingness of the Dolls to engage in the obscene body maneuvers that have become commonplace in some of the dance routines of the other SWAC dance troupes such as Alcorn State and UAPB.

Serious question, no smack, no hate:

If the Dancing Dolls, as you said, "do not need to be so thinly attired to be appealing", but yet, as you said, are "always sexy", what exactly is it about them that you as an "old school" father and grandfather find that makes them sexy?

I was done with....
'WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PAPER BAG TEST?"

...what next "MAKE AMERIKKKA GREAT AGAIN?"

:confused::eek:o_O:(

Quit lying. No they're not dressing like they were under Greggs.

I bet there are pics that prove otherwise. LOL. Doc had turned the Dolls loose in the mid to late 90s and 2000s. Don't know what you are talking about. He was not monitoring their clothes. LOL. You keep acting like Haymer didn't learn or march under Doc. You keep acting like Doc was not GANGSTER as a Band Director. You just didn't have social media like you have now. Haymer is tame compared to Doc Greggs. Seriously. He don't even curse like talking about. Doc purposely had us upstage bands. Like I said before. Who do you think authorized the band in the late 90s to blow on the Boom marching in. Haymer? LOL.

And I know a JSU alum can't ever talk about how someone's dancers dress or even dance. LOL. Doc used have names for the Jaycettes back in the day. Them and the Alcorn dancers.

I was just glad to see no tattoos and piercings. Just beautiful women in their natural state. The current Dolls are very classy to me.

As far as sexualizing the girls go, there’s plenty of blame to go around. From tradition, to fans (dirty old men), and the Dolls themselves. All play a role in making them as “sexy” as possible. Which I think is unnecessary. After all, they ARE somebody’s daughter and granddaughter that we’re ogling. They can entertain without an emphasis on being sexy.

Oh, and anybody that suggests we need a paper bag test in 2017 is a self-hating piece of shit.

That’s all.

Yeah I remember as kid, my old man and his buddies would be having the binoculars focused on the J-settes and other dance teams at half time. LOL. Of course they were in their 20s and 30s when I think about the ages of the men. But to a youngster, everybody was a dirty old man.

Serious question, no smack, no hate:

If the Dancing Dolls, as you said, "do not need to be so thinly attired to be appealing", but yet, as you said, are "always sexy", what exactly is it about them that you as an "old school" father and grandfather find that makes them sexy?

Their shapely physiques together with their pretty faces and their lovely hairstyles are what I find to be sexy about them. When you add their dance moves to those attributes, they are already sexy without the need to be thinly attired.

Their shapely physiques together with their pretty faces and their lovely hairstyles are what I find to be sexy about them. When you add their dance moves to those attributes, they are already sexy without the need to be thinly attired.
Yawns. U really need to get your hands on some old footage.

Thanks for answering.:)

So, unless you've seen any of the Dancing Dolls in any attire other than what they wear at half-time, you're saying it's their bodies (which are scantily clad) and their faces and hair that make them sexy?

I'm trying to understand because your statement seems contradictory.

Thanks for answering.:)

So, unless you've seen any of the Dancing Dolls in any attire other than what they wear at half-time, you're saying it's their bodies (which are scantily clad) and their faces and hair that make them sexy?

I'm trying to understand because your statement seems contradictory.

I gave up trying to understand

You know what he means.... How under Greggs it seems like he had that 1 dark skinned sister and the rest was held under that test on those lines.
They know Greggs had his picks of light-skinned women. I called him out on it once in the stands and he just looked at me and smiled and kept directing his band to play.

You know what he means.... How under Greggs it seems like he had that 1 dark skinned sister and the rest was held under that test on those lines.

1 dark skinned sister in the photo below and the others passed the brown paper bag test. Greggs was the man!

DSC_0206-2-S.jpg

I know exactly what he means. And I’m aware of Dancing Dolls history. I knew and loved Doc , but that doesn’t mean that everything he did was right. It’s 2017 and you can’t run a band like you did in 1970, 1980, 1990, etc.. So although Doc could do what he wanted during his time, current day directors would end up on CNN by 5PM. A paper bag test was wrong then and is wrong now. I also get tired of ppl comparing current day to Doc. There will never be another Legend like Doc and many of the other pioneers of their time, Griff, Foster, Hutch, etc.... The directors of today have maintain tradition while adding their own twist.

One thing Doc didnt allow was anyone to tell him how to run his band. Neither did Mr. J. Neither will Haymer.

Furthermore, Haymer doesn’t handselect dolls. They have a committee that selects finalist that he interviews for final selections. So this whole post is weird to me.

Have you actually seen a picture of the current dolls this year, they look like any past doll line.Capture+_2017-10-17-18-33-47.png

Have you actually seen a picture of the current dolls this year, they look like any past doll line.View attachment 5426

I disagree. Probably, only three of those young ladies would have made a Greggs Dolls squad. This is probably the best looking Haymer squad so far. I think, there was a mystique with Greggs Dolls, because they didn't fit the norm of what a HBCU dance team should look like.

Back