Scantily-Clad Dancers of SWAC & Other HBCU Bands

The Brown Paper Bag Test was a type of racial discrimination in the United States. A brown paper bag was used as a way to determine whether or not an individual could have certain privileges; only individuals with a skin color that is the same color or lighter than a brown paper bag were allowed. The test was used in the 20th century within many social institutions such as African-American sororities, fraternities, and churches.[1] In addition, brown paper bags were used in multi-racial social events. The term is also used in reference to larger issues of class and social stratification within the African-American population. The Brown Paper Bag Test arose from the practice of discrimination based on skin color.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Paper_Bag_Test

We have all heard stories of the practice of fraternities and sororities only allowing members with skin color lighter than a brown paper bag to gain admission into their bonds and proof that color lines and boundaries were strong and present can be seen by simply comparing the intake photos of the members of Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta from the first half of the 20th century.

https://www.watchtheyard.com/history/brown-paper-bag/

maxresdefault.jpg

The Brown Paper Bag Test was a type of racial discrimination in the United States. A brown paper bag was used as a way to determine whether or not an individual could have certain privileges; only individuals with a skin color that is the same color or lighter than a brown paper bag were allowed. The test was used in the 20th century within many social institutions such as African-American sororities, fraternities, and churches.[1] In addition, brown paper bags were used in multi-racial social events. The term is also used in reference to larger issues of class and social stratification within the African-American population. The Brown Paper Bag Test arose from the practice of discrimination based on skin color.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Paper_Bag_Test

We have all heard stories of the practice of fraternities and sororities only allowing members with skin color lighter than a brown paper bag to gain admission into their bonds and proof that color lines and boundaries were strong and present can be seen by simply comparing the intake photos of the members of Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta from the first half of the 20th century.

https://www.watchtheyard.com/history/brown-paper-bag/

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks for copying and pasting this. We all know about it. The point that you THINK we need that today , in 2017 is DUMB. Carry on....

In recent weeks, I have watched videos of all but one SWAC band and several other HBCU bands. I am well aware that these comments will not set well with some. At the outset it should be noted that I am a True Blue Southern Jaguar, not just with my mouth but also with my money. I firmly believe that the SU Human Jukebox is the finest marching band in the country, HBCU or otherwise, and that most national publications and media outlets are right on target when they rank them as such. But as an "old school" and as a father and grandfather of two young ladies, I would be on edge if either of my daughters had to dance as a member of the Golden Girls, the fabulous Dancin' Dolls, or any of the other SWAC dance troupes. Without question, the Dancin' Dolls are always beautiful, always gorgeous, and always sexy. Consequently, IMO, they do not need to be so thinly attired to be appealing. During some performances, it is difficult to ascertain if the outfits being worn are their uniforms/costumes, or their underwear. This goes for all the dance troupes in SWAC bands, many of whom are not nearly as attractive and poised as the Dolls. I do, however, commend the unwillingness of the Dolls to engage in the obscene body maneuvers that have become commonplace in some of the dance routines of the other SWAC dance troupes such as Alcorn State and UAPB.

Man come on really dude? You doen had a coming to Jesus moment because honestly you don't want that other older dude sitting next to you talking about how fine your daughter or granddaughter. LOL....for the record my sister danced for GSU and owns yoga studios. I have dealt with negroes including friends saying how fine she is....it doesn't bother me because I got some homeboys and dudes on here with some fine sisters.

@GSUperTiger

Man come on really dude? You doen had a coming to Jesus moment because honestly you don't want that other older dude sitting next to you talking about how fine your daughter or granddaughter. LOL....for the record my sister danced for GSU and owns yoga studios. I have dealt with negroes including friends saying how fine she is....it doesn't bother me because I got some homeboys and dudes on here with some fine sisters.

@GSUperTiger

Yes! Tell the truth bruh!

In recent weeks, I have watched videos of all but one SWAC band and several other HBCU bands. I am well aware that these comments will not set well with some. At the outset it should be noted that I am a True Blue Southern Jaguar, not just with my mouth but also with my money. I firmly believe that the SU Human Jukebox is the finest marching band in the country, HBCU or otherwise, and that most national publications and media outlets are right on target when they rank them as such. But as an "old school" and as a father and grandfather of two young ladies, I would be on edge if either of my daughters had to dance as a member of the Golden Girls, the fabulous Dancin' Dolls, or any of the other SWAC dance troupes. Without question, the Dancin' Dolls are always beautiful, always gorgeous, and always sexy. Consequently, IMO, they do not need to be so thinly attired to be appealing. During some performances, it is difficult to ascertain if the outfits being worn are their uniforms/costumes, or their underwear. This goes for all the dance troupes in SWAC bands, many of whom are not nearly as attractive and poised as the Dolls. I do, however, commend the unwillingness of the Dolls to engage in the obscene body maneuvers that have become commonplace in some of the dance routines of the other SWAC dance troupes such as Alcorn State and UAPB.

LOL...have you watched the summer Olympics? These young ladies would be over dressed compared to them.

Last edited:

Dude, just shut up. You know nothing about Doc, Haymer, or our band program.

These folks know absolutely nothing about Doc. The Dolls are wearing similar outfits that they wore from 1969 - now because we have something called TRADITION. The damn band director doesn't even pick out the attire, the Dolls themselves along with the sponsor handles all of that.

As for the "paper bag" test we've debunked that a trillion times. I've posted pictures of the Dolls from the beginning until now with dark skinned ladies on the squad. Hell one of Doc's favorites Kiki Ely was as dark as he was. LOL!! The Doll of all Dolls Tracy Prince wasn't a yellow bone either. SMH.

Back