Scantily-Clad Dancers of SWAC & Other HBCU Bands

Earle

In recent weeks, I have watched videos of all but one SWAC band and several other HBCU bands. I am well aware that these comments will not set well with some. At the outset it should be noted that I am a True Blue Southern Jaguar, not just with my mouth but also with my money. I firmly believe that the SU Human Jukebox is the finest marching band in the country, HBCU or otherwise, and that most national publications and media outlets are right on target when they rank them as such. But as an "old school" and as a father and grandfather of two young ladies, I would be on edge if either of my daughters had to dance as a member of the Golden Girls, the fabulous Dancin' Dolls, or any of the other SWAC dance troupes. Without question, the Dancin' Dolls are always beautiful, always gorgeous, and always sexy. Consequently, IMO, they do not need to be so thinly attired to be appealing. During some performances, it is difficult to ascertain if the outfits being worn are their uniforms/costumes, or their underwear. This goes for all the dance troupes in SWAC bands, many of whom are not nearly as attractive and poised as the Dolls. I do, however, commend the unwillingness of the Dolls to engage in the obscene body maneuvers that have become commonplace in some of the dance routines of the other SWAC dance troupes such as Alcorn State and UAPB.

If you seek a lively discussion, I urge you to take this topic to the dance forum on bandhead.org.

In recent weeks, I have watched videos of all but one SWAC band and several other HBCU bands. I am well aware that these comments will not set well with some. At the outset it should be noted that I am a True Blue Southern Jaguar, not just with my mouth but also with my money. I firmly believe that the SU Human Jukebox is the finest marching band in the country, HBCU or otherwise, and that most national publications and media outlets are right on target when they rank them as such. But as an "old school" and as a father and grandfather of two young ladies, I would be on edge if either of my daughters had to dance as a member of the Golden Girls, the fabulous Dancin' Dolls, or any of the other SWAC dance troupes. Without question, the Dancin' Dolls are always beautiful, always gorgeous, and always sexy. Consequently, IMO, they do not need to be so thinly attired to be appealing. During some performances, it is difficult to ascertain if the outfits being worn are their uniforms/costumes, or their underwear. This goes for all the dance troupes in SWAC bands, many of whom are not nearly as attractive and poised as the Dolls. I do, however, commend the unwillingness of the Dolls to engage in the obscene body maneuvers that have become commonplace in some of the dance routines of the other SWAC dance troupes such as Alcorn State and UAPB.

You must be speaking in reference to this outfit, where the Dolls are wearing nothing but panties and a bra?

"Word salad. Word salad. Pick up your pants and you won't get shot. something something jewkbawx"

You must be speaking in reference to this outfit, where the Dolls are wearing nothing but panties and a bra?

Those are no granny panties. If you're young, tender and have the goods, flaunt it! I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump and grind in the stands! :)

Last edited:
They didn't wear granny panties even 50 years ago, the designs have changed but they are young women and they are going to look a certain way it just looks different to us as we get older be cause when young you think it's cute, when older we think it isn't enough clothes

Part of the attraction of cheerleaders and dancers to audiences -- particularly young men -- is how we sexualize them. There is a conversation to be had in that regard. But, I don't see how these entities ever changing because that's what dudes like to look at on game day. And everyone else knows it.

So, as a father and grandfather of two young ladies - in watching those videos - you not only pay attention to those young ladies' "obscene body maneuvers", you are also paying attention to how attractive they are as they conduct those "obscene body maneuvers" too, huh? As if that somehow matters.

In more liberal circles you'd be called sexist. (LOL)

Part of the attraction of cheerleaders and dancers to audiences -- particularly young men -- is how we sexualize them. There is a conversation to be had in that regard. But, I don't see how these entities ever changing because that's what dudes like to look at on game day. And everyone else knows it.

Man, please stop it with the "we sexualize them" BS as if these young women - or women in general - don't have a say in any of this. You don't think women sexualize men in those tight ass football pants they wear on the field?

Man, please stop it with the "we sexualize them" BS as if these young women - or women in general - don't have a say in any of this. You don't think women sexualize men in those tight ass football pants they wear on the field?

I didn't state that as some sort of criticism. I stated that as a reality.

But you really can't compare how women feel about men in football pants to how we feel about young women in makeup and scantily-clad attire gyrating. One is presented that way intentionally, and the other isn't.

Talking about dancers, here's a high school in Miami, FL. IMO, it is some crazy culture that has developed in the Black community. This is why we have people like BH123 who see nothing wrong with prostitution being associated with HBCU football. If only he could get a SWAC school to play Howard University in a city (Washington, DC) known for prostitution.

Last edited:
I didn't state that as some sort of criticism. I stated that as a reality.

But you really can't compare how women feel about men in football pants to how we feel about young women in makeup and scantily-clad attire gyrating. One is presented that way intentionally, and the other isn't.

I didn't take it as criticism. I'm simply saying that you shouldn't make it appear as if women are (in this case) the victim of sexualization when they have a choice in what they wear.

At some point, we have to throw political correctness out of the window and simply apply common sense. It's not uncommon for a man or woman - when in the process of conducting extreme physical activity - to wear attire that is light and reveals more skin. If one is going to workout, that person will likely wear shorts or tights. Doing so provides a level of comfort. It's just that simple.

I didn't take it as criticism. I'm simply saying that you shouldn't make it appear as if women are (in this case) the victim of sexualization when they have a choice in what they wear.

At some point, we have to throw political correctness out of the window and simply apply common sense. It's not uncommon for a man or woman - when in the process of conducting extreme physical activity - to wear attire that is light and reveals more skin. If one is going to workout, that person will likely wear shorts or tights. Doing so provides a level of comfort. It's just that simple.

I'm not suggesting they're victims either, my dear brother. I'm just pointing out what it is, and, what it has been.

So, as a father and grandfather of two young ladies - in watching those videos - you not only pay attention to those young ladies' "obscene body maneuvers", you are also paying attention to how attractive they are as they conduct those "obscene body maneuvers" too, huh? As if that somehow matters.

In more liberal circles you'd be called sexist. (LOL)

No, I do not think the "obscene body maneuvers" are attractive, nor are the young ladies in performing same. As for the Dancing Dolls, I am saying that they are, without more, already beautiful, gorgeous, and sexy, and consequently, the thin attire doesn't add to those attributes!

Talking about dancers, here's a high school in Miami, FL. IMO, it is some crazy culture that has developed in the Black community. This is why we have people like BH123 who see nothing wrong with prostitution being associated with HBCU football. If only he could a SWAC school to play Howard University in a city (Washington, DC) known for prostitution.

Now this I don't understand or agree with. College students are adult women. Somebody is dressing these kids like this or allowing choices they shouldn't be allowed to make.

The more times I run across that clip the more I think somebody should be fired like today! Including the parents allowing this but I guess parents have the right to raise their children as they see fit.

But that's Miami for you. It's not the first time I've seen some questionable material come from that area as it relates to high school children.

But that's Miami for you. It's not the first time I've seen some questionable material come from that area as it relates to high school children.

It's Uncle Luke (2 Live Crew) hometown who ran for Mayor of Miami-Dayton County so that he can clean up stuff like this. I'm sure some of those little girls mommas were some of the same females in his videos during his hay days. IMO, a crazy culture that is out of control.

Last edited:
Skin is in, there is no censorship. Some of the Dolls outfits look like they are straight a strip joint.

Last edited:
zbunch72.jpg

564b5e69eaf94.image.jpg

Not just HBCU dancelines dress like that, so let's cut that out talking about black culture and HBCU dancelines.

The Dolls used to be so classy and attractive when Greggs was Band Director. What happened to the brown paper-bag test? Haymer has really thugged the Dolls out!

Greggs Dolls
DSC_0206-2-S.jpg

Last edited:
Back