Rumor Mill: More Teams Leaving the MEAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then we are kind of neglecting Delaware State as far as the football angle and Coppin State and UMES from the basketball angle

I can't see DSU staying in the MEAC if the Florida schools stay (maybe football wise if they do one home/one away) but who would take them? MAYBE the CAA but Delaware might not go for that

Could they survive as a basketball conference?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
BCU and SCSU both move down.... BCU has serious financial issues and SCSU had under 1000 students Spring 2020.

I was about to say this

People keep mentioning BCU and their issues but SCSU is half the size of Valley. They might be putting all of their eggs in the Celebration Bowl bump like with NCAT but if the rumors are fully true with 2-3 teams leaving, they might lose out on that

I was about to say this

People keep mentioning BCU and their issues but SCSU is half the size of Valley. They might be putting all of their eggs in the Celebration Bowl bump like with NCAT but if the rumors are fully true with 2-3 teams leaving, they might lose out on that
Do you see Valley staying Division 1? Honest question

The pandemic is a new variable and the equation. There is very likely to be major damage done by the adjustments in finances.. As I sit here and watch UAB cut 300 employees and take 13% of the administrators pay, I wonder about smaller universities that don't have a regional hospital partner.

Do you see Valley staying Division 1? Honest question

Ask me this in about 2 years.

This pandemic will show how serious admin and alums are about continuing to have JSU and Alcorn come to Itta Bena (the Valley alums that post on here know I've been saying this for a while) if they don't come up with new ways of fundraising instead of doing the status quo (and still failing at that). If there is not a season, Valley and a few more schools (like yours) will have to make some serious decisions when it comes to staying D1.

2 more years of mediocre to below average play in football and basketball and some tough decisions will have to be made

Ask me this in about 2 years.

This pandemic will show how serious admin and alums are about continuing to have JSU and Alcorn come to Itta Bena (the Valley alums that post on here know I've been saying this for a while) if they don't come up with new ways of fundraising instead of doing the status quo (and still failing at that). If there is not a season, Valley and a few more schools (like yours) will have to make some serious decisions when it comes to staying D1.

2 more years of mediocre to below average play in football and basketball and some tough decisions will have to be made

I think it's not isolated to Valley, SC State and Bethune-Cookman. I think HBCU football is on the brink of huge shake-ups in the aftermath of the pandemic. Maybe the SWAC contracts ... maybe the SWAC expands ... maybe the MEAC will cease to exist as we know it ...

I love FAMU but all of that traveling from Florida to SWAC schools is going to be terrible money wise when you look at games outside of them vs Jackson State Grambling & Southern.
This has been discussed several times:

1) Most of our non-revenue sports have a divisional format, so their travel in those sports would mostly be limited to East division opponents. Traveling to Alcorn is far better than making trips to D.C., Delaware, and Baltimore. Not to mention in sports like basketball where FAMU has to add trips to Coppin State and UMES.

2) Football would more than likely limit FAMU to traveling far out west 1 or 2 times each season. Prairie View is about 11 hours away. With most of the MEAC being north of South Carolina, FAMU has to make several trips that are 9+ hours in football and basketball each season.

I think it's not isolated to Valley, SC State and Bethune-Cookman. I think HBCU football is on the brink of huge shake-ups in the aftermath of the pandemic. Maybe the SWAC contracts ... maybe the SWAC expands ... maybe the MEAC will cease to exist as we know it ...

Agreed this pandemic is not going away especially since reports are showing a gradual uptick in red states. I think by June it maybe decided if we will even have a football season this fall and if it get delayed or canceled all of us are going to get crushed.

Let's say FAMU and B-CU comes to the SWAC. That gives the SWAC a 12-team membership and 6-team divisions. Only change you'd probably have to do is move Alcorn to the Western Division and adopt an 8-game schedule with five division opponents, two other divisional opponents and one permanent team from the other division (I think that's the old SEC model).

That would greatly reduce travel costs in football. You can figure out divisional-heavy schedules in other sports to defray travel costs.

Oh hell to the no! PV has enough in dealing w/ SU and GSU in the same division. Why don't ya'll 3 go on over there to the East division w/ FAMU and send us MVSU, AlaSU, and JSU? lol

Oh hell to the no! PV has enough in dealing w/ SU and GSU in the same division. Why don't ya'll 3 go on over there to the East division w/ FAMU and send us MVSU, AlaSU, and JSU? lol
I do agree the divisions would be unbalanced with 4 heavy hitters. FAMU would run the East currently.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'm cool with FAMU coming to the SWAC and even TN State as well but BCU can stay in the MEAC. FAMU can still keep them on their schedule each year, but BCU is bringing nothing to enhance the conference and that's just being real!

When the SEC expanded they wanted both TX A&M and Oklahoma. Missouri was only offered entry after the OU offer feel thru due to the OK State Legislature saying "If you take OU, you have to take OSU as well". The SEC had no interest in OSU and the OU deal couldn't be done. Missouri was offered to fill in the gap.

Just as the SEC held their ground on not wanting or needing OSU, the SWAC will have to do the same with BCU.

SWAC football is Cyclical. It's like the SEC. The SEC East pretty much Dominated from the 90s to mid 2000s and now its the West.

Alcorn was Mediocre for 20 years until the 2010 decade. Grambling and Southern has been dominating the West so I think its far fetched to say the divisions would be unbalanced. Curious but who would be the 4 heavy Hitters the West. Enlighten me. lol

SWAC football is Cyclical. It's like the SEC. The SEC East pretty much Dominated from the 90s to mid 2000s and now its the West.

Alcorn was Mediocre for 20 years until the 2010 decade. Grambling and Southern has been dominating the West so I think its far fetched to say the divisions would be unbalanced. Curious but who would be the 4 heavy Hitters the West. Enlighten me. lol

My guess is that he is talking about SU, GSU, AlSU and PV in football and PV, SU, TxSU and GSU in men's basketball.

Patron, even if we would go North/South PV couldn't avoid that heat because you would get that exemption for two permanent games....LOL

1588717025750.png

Patron, even if we would go North/South PV couldn't avoid that heat because you would get that exemption for two permanent games....LOL

View attachment 9892

I'm glad that internet ADs don't have influence at SWAC HQ because WHY would ANYONE think that Valley and Bethune (14 hours apart) as permanent opponents would be smart? Like damn at least try to halfway hide it by having PV as a permanent opponent

Dear SWAC commish, please relegate SU, GSU, & Alcorn St in a division that is not w/ PV. We are sick and tired of the annual beatdowns. And have JSU on standby because they started ass raping PV the last 2 years.

Sincerely, a begging assed PV alum tired of being beat silly. :(

Dear SWAC commish, please relegate SU, GSU, & Alcorn St in a division that is not w/ PV. We are sick and tired of the annual beatdowns. And have JSU on standby because they started ass raping PV the last 2 years.

Sincerely, a begging assed PV alum tired of being beat silly. :(

We can create a "B" division where PV would play MVSU twice, TXSU twice and UAPB twice. That's the only way I could see you all dodging the heat.....But we know that's not going to happen.....LOL

I'm glad that internet ADs don't have influence at SWAC HQ because WHY would ANYONE think that Valley and Bethune (14 hours apart) as permanent opponents would be smart? Like damn at least try to halfway hide it by having PV as a permanent opponent

Hmmm, No one wants to really play Valley. You all just need to be happy and shut up (the sane thing to do is kick Valley out of the conference).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back