Rumor Mill: More Teams Leaving the MEAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCCU...possibly. That’s the most likely candidate for the Big South (them and maybe NSU).

Howard and SCSU? I seriously doubt it. I can see Howard leaving for another conference, but not the Big South. SCSU has some issues they have to deal with, so I don’t see that move happening now.

FAMU and BCU will stick together in whatever we choose to do.

I don't wish for the demise of the MEAC as it has some great institutional members, but if schools are leaving I would love to have FAMU in the SWAC!

I love FAMU but all of that traveling from Florida to SWAC schools is going to be terrible money wise when you look at games outside of them vs Jackson State Grambling & Southern.

Let's say FAMU and B-CU comes to the SWAC. That gives the SWAC a 12-team membership and 6-team divisions. Only change you'd probably have to do is move Alcorn to the Western Division and adopt an 8-game schedule with five division opponents, two other divisional opponents and one permanent team from the other division (I think that's the old SEC model).

That would greatly reduce travel costs in football. You can figure out divisional-heavy schedules in other sports to defray travel costs.

So basically they'd form a partial meac in the BS? Why not just stay?

This was my thought. As more MEAC schools make this move it makes even less sense. I suspect that both Hampton and A&T's move was motivated in part by "special/only negro" syndrome. What happens next when your new home becomes the very thing you tried to leave (except with less power and influence)?

Let's say FAMU and B-CU comes to the SWAC. That gives the SWAC a 12-team membership and 6-team divisions. Only change you'd probably have to do is move Alcorn to the Western Division and adopt an 8-game schedule with five division opponents, two other divisional opponents and one permanent team from the other division (I think that's the old SEC model).

That would greatly reduce travel costs in football. You can figure out divisional-heavy schedules in other sports to defray travel costs.

Do you think it would present a problem having the top 3 conference football teams and the top 3 conference men basketball teams all in the Western Division?

This was my thought. As more MEAC schools make this move it makes even less sense. I suspect that both Hampton and A&T's move was motivated in part by "special/only negro" syndrome. What happens next when your new home becomes the very thing you tried to leave (except with less power and influence)?

Excellent analysis!

Do you think it would present a problem having the top 3 conference football teams and the top 3 conference men basketball teams all in the Western Division?

Things are cyclical. All schools are one bad hire away from suckitude, regardless of level. If you want to balance the divisions, you'd move Alcorn to the Western Division if you bring FAMU and B-CU into the east.

Football might not be the problem, since you can take some of those games and turn them into potentially money-making neutral site games. The two-division format has to reduce costs in basketball, baseball/softball and other sports. That might have to coincide with a change of days of the week games are played, etc.

We're just spitballing here, but at this time you can't leave any stone unturned.

If you want to compare BCU and FAMU travel to the closest MEAC members (excluding NCAT since they're leaving):

FAMU to Alabama State: 206
FAMU to Bethune Cookman: 254
FAMU to Alabama A&M: 403
FAMU to Jackson State: 437
FAMU to Mississippi Valley: 522
———
FAMU to SC State: 333
FAMU to NC Central: 591

BCU to FAMU: 254
BCU to Alabama State: 449
BCU to Alabama A&M: 616
BCU to Jackson State: 688
BCU to Mississippi Valley: 732
———
BCU to SC State: 337
BCU to NC Central: 571

If you want to look at how Alcorn sits with the current West members
Alcorn to Southern: 109
Alcorn to Grambling: 152
Alcorn to Arkansas-Pine Bluff: 212
Alcorn to Texas Southern: 355
Alcorn to PV: 398

Last edited:
Things are cyclical. All schools are one bad hire away from suckitude, regardless of level. If you want to balance the divisions, you'd move Alcorn to the Western Division if you bring FAMU and B-CU into the east.

Football might not be the problem, since you can take some of those games and turn them into potentially money-making neutral site games. The two-division format has to reduce costs in basketball, baseball/softball and other sports. That might have to coincide with a change of days of the week games are played, etc.

We're just spitballing here, but at this time you can't leave any stone unturned.

If you want to compare BCU and FAMU travel to the closest MEAC members (excluding NCAT since they're leaving):

FAMU to Alabama State: 206
FAMU to Bethune Cookman: 254
FAMU to Alabama A&M: 403
FAMU to Jackson State: 437
FAMU to Mississippi Valley: 522
———
FAMU to SC State: 333
FAMU to NC Central: 591

BCU to FAMU: 254
BCU to Alabama State: 449
BCU to Alabama A&M: 616
BCU to Jackson State: 688
BCU to Mississippi Valley: 732
———
BCU to SC State: 337
BCU to NC Central: 571

If you want to look at how Alcorn sits with the current West members
Alcorn to Southern: 109
Alcorn to Grambling: 152
Alcorn to Arkansas-Pine Bluff: 212
Alcorn to Texas Southern: 355
Alcorn to PV: 398
That is a mean difference of 100 miles of less, it could work. I don't want to leave the East, but I willing to make sacrifices for a successful transition.

Hmmm, some folks need to be colonized.....LOL

I don’t think it’s really that. The SWAC schools seem to really mesh with each other...the MEAC just doesn’t. Especially for us in Florida.

If Hampton and A&T can get NCCU and NSU to join em, they’re good. They keep their traditional rivals with occasional games against us.

Meanwhile, FAMU, BCU and SCSU would need to find out what’s best for us if the MEAC loses those schools. Is the SWAC our best option...or is it another regional FCS football conference? We just don’t know

This part! McClelland is progressive enough to make it happen.

i agree. There’s a workaround to make it beneficial to all parties. The pissing contest would be determining the permanent cross division rival, unless you say the hell with it and just rotate three off and on

The MEAC feels that they have outgrown HBCUs. When I lived in DC those Howard folks and Hampton folks were white annoying!!!!

NC A&T’s football team will be a bottom of the barrel team in few years. The issue is Broadway fed them a pipe dream that cannot be sustained.

If the SWAC does add FAMU and BCC then the SWAC Leadership would have to put in work on a large scale....something they have never done in my opinion.

One thing that I have noticed about Dr Commish is that his messages has been consistent. From day one he has addressed future conference realignment. That he wanted to put the SWAC in position to be destination point not a desperation move. I don't think he will make a play unless it will benefit the SWAC for future growth.

There was a good conversation about the MEAC and the SWAC on this forum. They talk about TnSt and their history and then turn to FAMU. It was talked about that the MEAC could survive if they even go down to less members with losing the Florida schools and some others. They could keep their D1 status and get to share their NCAA money allocation with less schools and still strive as a conference. I think that BCU will possibly go down to D2 because of their financial problems.

View: https://www.facebook.com/MyBCSN1/videos/1580479908793587/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back