"Orlando sucked anyway"

"Orlando didn't utilize his backs well enough"

"Orlando wasn't creole"

"Orlando didn't have a clue with what he was doing"

"Orlando knew what was best for his ass"

Damn, I hate to see when Pete leaves.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Lewis
Get Ready, Are you saying your closes 2 games will be PV and Alcorn???
No USM will be Our closest game cause they are 1-A. Plus they white (right strawdog?). No colored School will come within 2 scores of JSU.

Cleb-28,
You must have not been around many SU people these last few years. Because Orlando's play calling has been a sore spot for the last 2 years for alumni and fans. D-Nice can attest to that. No one was on here saying Orlando was the bomb. Now we do give Pete his due. Is he satisfying all the alumni, probably not. No coach satifies everybody. Especially the years when you don't win a championship. No one said Orlando sucked as an OC, but he didn't utilize his talent. If Elvis Joseph is good enough to play in the NFL, why wasn't he good enough to run the ball at SU. And Coughlin is as tough of a coach to please in the NFL. I mean when we did play Joseph we could see his talent, but since Orlando had all those WRs he put the ball up every down damn near. 99 spoiled him. Hell we didn't give Ryan Lewis enough touches that year either. I bet even PF/TBF will agree on that one. Pete and Orlando agreed to disagree and Orlando is over at TxSU. Good for him.

We appreciate what he helped SU accomplish when he was there. But his scheme was needing a facelift. So now he will get his chance to prove how good he really is. Personally I agree with PF just a tad bit. When SU had those scatbacks like Wofford , Williams and R. Lewis it made Orlando's offense work. But once we had D. Lewis and Joseph, he didn't know how to incorporate them into the loop. Joesph has speed. So he should have thrown him the ball and featured him more. But he just kept ignoring it. Plus if I saw a QB draw one more time I was going to scream. Like I said, we(SU) know Orlando' offense and our Defense has dominated our O in practice in 2000 and 2001 and remember our "D" couldn't stop run in 2000, due to the fact they never saw it in practice. SMH. So we will see if Orlando can beat us. I doubt it. Plus no one is going to know what our O is going to look like. So just thow your film of SU away. We missed Vite worse than we will miss Orlando. Count on it.

It is not official yet. There are things still being finalized. I don't think Lane is on it though. Maybe Miles. But just hold your horses negotiations for the JSU/SU possible move is probably going on and some other schedule changes. It will be posted when it's done. Thank you.

Jaguars wrap up practices today

http://www.theadvocate.com/sports/story.asp?StoryID=19052

Jaguars wrap up practices today

By JOE SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter

The Southern University football team's spring practice ends today, wrapping up a rapid week that's in stark contrast to what had been a lengthy process.

Southern stretched 15 practice days across six weeks, including a week off for spring break.

But this is the only one of five weeks in which the Jaguars had four practices. Coach Pete Richardson contracted the schedule, practicing consecutive days instead of taking days off in between to meet and look at film, ending two days ahead of the original schedule.

"We might as well go on and get it finished," said Richardson, who said the change benefits the track and field team's Pelican Relays set for Friday and Saturday.

Monday's four-inch deluge forced Southern inside the Seymour Gymnasium for a 90-minute workout on formations and alignments. Tuesday's soaked practice fields sent the Jaguars inside A.W. Mumford Stadium.

Southern will work in full pads today, with an emphasis on goal-line and short-yardage work.

JONES OUT: Junior tight end Roderick Jones won't practice after straining his left knee during Saturday night's Blue and Gold Game, Richardson said.

"Hopefully, I don't think they'll have to operate," Richardson said.

Jones, who had the only catch by a tight end last season but saw his receiving load increase the last month, suffered the game's only significant injury.

"For as many plays as we went, we were fortunate to come out without many injuries," Richardson said.

SNAPPING: Southern has struggled with the shotgun snap throughout practice with two new centers, sophomore Jermaine Jackson and redshirt freshman Brandon Jones.

"It's a learning experience, especially trying to snap and then block a guy right on your head," Richardson said. "A lot of them don't have real long arms to get them back off them. As soon as they snap, the defender is right on them. It's just a process we have to develop."

With SU running mostly from the shotgun formation, the snap is crucial to the offense.

Offensive line coach Gary Smith said, "I think a lot of it is they're trying to overcompensate with the snap. Sometimes, you have to just relax and flip it back, just like shooting a rod and reel."

QUICKER: The lines on both sides of the ball seem quicker this spring. Most of that, coaches said, can be attributed to maturity. Unlike two springs ago or even last spring, the Jaguars enjoy depth and experience.

While the defensive line has also been quick, because of its attacking scheme, the offensive line is notably faster off the ball.

"That comes from knowing what to do," Richardson said. "They have that confidence. Anytime you have a little indecision about your area of responsibility or assignment, then you're not going to explode off the football, because you're really searching and hoping you're in the right place.

"Now, they can come off and be aggressive. That's the part we're trying to develop in our football team: the mental toughness."

Smith said his line's quickness of the ball was evident in breaking down film from Saturday.

"I've got a lot better athletes and a little more size," Smith said. "When you see it unfold on film, you see the technique working, and they get more confident."

NOTES: The numbers at practice have gone down as a result of coaches trimming walk-ons as spring practice progressed. ... Senior Kenneth Johnson continues to progress at drop linebacker. Injured his first two seasons as an inside linebacker, Johnson moved to safety last season but is now at outside linebacker. ... Wide receiver Michael Hayes continues to rehabilitate his left knee. The former preseason All-American has been running the length of the field. ... Wide receiver Chris Davis returned a fumble 17 yards for a touchdown in the spring game. Lionel Joseph was initially credited with the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back