Richard solidifies spot as Southern quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAGCAT

http://www.theadvocate.com/sports/story.asp?StoryID=18998

Southern University quarterback Quincy Richard found his stride Saturday night in A.W. Mumford Stadium.

Richard solidified his spot as the No. 1 quarterback by leading the offense to all four of its touchdowns in six drives -- running for a touchdown and throwing for scores of 55 and 13 yards to Al'Trevion Joubert -- during the Blue and Gold Game.

"We're still in the process of evaluating everybody, but Quincy is the frontrunner right now," first-year offensive coordinator David Oliver said.

With Southern constantly exchanging quarterbacks on each series for the entire first half, Richard broke a 20-yard touchdown run with 20.2 seconds to cap an eight-play, 73-yard drive. That seemed to carry over to the second half, when Oliver kept Richard in the game.

After going three-and-out on the first series of the second half, Richard directed scoring drives of 73, 75 and 80 yards on three of the next four touches. The other drive got stopped at the 20-yard line.

"We were trying to use a lot of people so we could make some film evaluations," head coach Pete Richardson said. "The second half we zeroed in on our first two units."

None of the other three quarterbacks directed scoring drives, though Kurvis Sharp, who entered the spring as the No. 3 quarterback, dazzled with runs of 40, 31 and 27 yards. Sharp completed five of 11 passes for 20 yards and one interception.

Anthony Fisher, listed side-by-side with Richard on the depth chart, went 4-for-8 for 20 yards with two interceptions, one of those a screen pass picked off by defensive end Glynn Mangum for a 25-yard TD as the defense dominated the first 27 minutes.

The running ability of Richard and Sharp may separate them.

"Our quarterback is going to have to contribute to the running game, and we've known that since I got hired Jan. 7," Oliver said. "The quarterback is going to have to take some pressure until we can find us a real, workhorse running back. All the quarterbacks we have can do some exciting things with their feet and their arms."

Richard proved to be a workhorse and showed the effects, walking gingerly off the field.

Richard went 13-for-22 for 175 yards and the two touchdowns and ran 19 times for 78 yards. He was 9-for-13 for 145 yards and both TDs and had 12 carries for 68 yards in the second half.

"We wanted to see exactly how much he can stand, and he stands up pretty good," Richardson said.

Richard proved to be the most productive quarterback in terms of yards and carries, even with getting sacked three times. Walk-on Rodney Turner had 71 yards on 15 carries and Leon Miller 59 yards on 12 carries. Wide receiver Lionel Joseph scored Southern's other TD on a 17-yard recovery of a Turner fumble.

"Starting or not, I've been here long enough where I have to step up and be a true leader," Richard said. "I have to use my experience from the past and bring it forward for the senior season."

Without the numbers to have two distinct teams, Southern just substituted players, with offensive players in blue shirts and defensive players in white.

For most of the first half, a fresh defense kept the offense at bay, forcing 12 punts, Mangum's score and a slew of big stops and three-and-outs.

"We were rotating everybody and losing the continuity we needed offensively, and plus we were getting penalties which killed us," Richardson said.

Tight end Roderick Jones sprained his left knee while blocking a running play with 5:42 to go in the first half.

Southern, 7-4 last season, still has four of its NCAA-allotted 15 spring-practice days remaining. The Jaguars will practice Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

The Jaguar Athletic Group, a new booster group which will serve as the athletic department's primary fundraising arm, sponsored the game, with 88 percent of the proceeds going to the athletic department and 12 for the JAG's operating expenses.

NOTES: Victor Ike, who will transfer from Texas for his senior season, attended the game. ... Senior wide receiver Kentrell Plain (ankle) did not play. ... Southern sports information director Kevin Manns got trapped in one of two pressbox elevators before the game began and stayed there for approximately two hours before the fire department could help free him. ... Southern went to a continuous clock for the fourth quarter. ... Attendance was 4,283.

JAG: The JAG, officially recognized by the university early last month, is seeking membership, with a variety of levels starting at $50. The group is also asking for $100 donations to its Field Keepers project, which will renovate the field at Mumford Stadium and give it state-of-the-art drainage and irrigation systems. That project will be an annual drive. All donations and membership fees are tax-deductible.

Southern sports information director Kevin Manns got trapped in one of two pressbox elevators before the game began and stayed there for approximately two hours before the fire department could help free him.

I thought yall just got that thing last year. :confused:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Wow!! Attendance was 4,283 for a scrimmage game. That's more than some schools average for a regular season game.Wow!

Thanks Doug

Doug Williams stated last year on Jaguar Journal that Quincy Richards was one of the top qb's in the state. Evidently, the new Offensive Coordinator saw the same thing.

Folks have forgotten about Levy already.

Change is good.

Man the offense is fast, and the defense hits hard too.

Side note: Hope some folks from JSU were at the scrimmage. That's the best view they are going to get, because when JSU comes to Mumford it's hard to get a good view from those temporary end zone seats.:lmao:

Who gives a dayum if SU moves the game to Mudford. It ain't nothing better than whipping your arses at home. Sure we have to run to our cars in a hurry but it's worth it. You all won't have but half a dayum team anyway. Your offense looks good because your defense sucks. I don't know how many scrimmages you guys have had but by the last one, if the defense is not able to slow done sorry arse Richard ( wasn't he the sorry QB that played in the Bayou Classic?), they are total garbage.

Also, all of you Jags must already know that you will need a little home cooking to even stand a chance against JSU. If you scared, say you scared. Our d-line and lbs are going to give Richard something he obviously does not see at practice.

TP,

Moving the game to Mumford means I'ma hafta work on my sprint capabilities. As for Richard, the kid can only improve from last year. He put us to sleep in the Astrodome in Houston and at the Bayou Classic.

BTW, I've been to about 7-10 JSU SU games in Mumford and have yet to sit in the endzone. Ain't about to start now.

Damn TP, Lighten up. Our Defense will be better than last year's. So what are you talking about. We have a few kids being held out of spring practice, but we return the majority of defensive players from the SWAC's #1 rated Defense. Jeez....... All this means is the new O-Coordinator has some new stuff our D has not seen. Which means your DC can not watch old film of SU and get something from it. Although the article clearly says the "D" dominated for awhile. That's good new for our Offense, especially since Hayes, Plain, Jackson, and our redshirts are not playing. Remember last year's redshirts can't participate until summer. Yeah get your track shoes ready, because after you get tired of watching SU pound JSU into submission you'll be ready to run to your car.

Robber,
You are right about Richard. He could only get better. He has a canon arm, but needs to work on his overthrowing of the WRs. I think the new OC knows how to use him. Orlando never wanted to turn our Qbs loose. That's why Sam George was so successful, he just did what was natural, even though he took flak from Orlando. He was at his best when he could improvise. You never want to restrict a QB if he can run when necessary. Better than just getting sacked. BTW don't worry about sitting in the endzone. I'll make sure you and GR have seats right next to me. :D

TP,
Unless you went to JSU in the early 80's, you wouldn't know a defense if you saw one. Any time you are counting on PV former coach to save your team, you are sliding past pitiful to down right sadistic.

Is it true that JSU hasn't done any cooking? Don't make me laugh at you clown. You should run to car after the game and hide you face in shame after we beat the brakes off of you on your way to a 3-9 season.

Diesel,

If Ace Mumford went to P. V. and lost 30 games in a row does that mean he can't coach??? What about Eddie Rob??? Jake Gaither??? W. C. Gordon???

Nobody can win at any college under PV's conditions.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Who gives a dayum if SU moves the game to Mudford.

U talkin' a whole hell of a lot and ain't saying isht. Obviously, you succas from jSU are or were worried about the game being moved, you're the ones that beoytched about it from day one. But as you stated, it really doesn't matter where we play...your azzes is grass come Oct. 19th.

Robber,
Kent threw a lot of interceptions last year. Does that mean he is a sorry quarterback. TP took the liberty to say our quarterback was sorry back he has a bad game against Grambling in his second start of his career. Well, Kent (my good friend) threw more interceptions against Grambling than Richard, so he has be sorry by TP's logic.

My point is, Richard did look good in the second half of the Blue and Gold game after the defense totally dominated the first half. If a team is going to be any good, there should not be a big blow out in the spring game. Last year, in JSU's final scrimmage, Kent threw for almost 450 yards against his own defense and look how they turned out.

We will have one of best passing defenses in the SWAC and if Haynes returns to form, we will have one of the better passing offenses as well as a platoon of ground carriers. We will push for gold this year.

Diesel,

Southern is going to be so sorry and just for your own benefit, I will remind you that JSU had a defense in 1990-1997 and 1999. We have only had a suspect defense in 1998, 2000, and 2001. In the early 90's, we lacked offense.

Don't worry about Kent, he is 2-0 against SUcks and SU has seen a three win season more recently than JSU. SU was the one praying for a winning season in 2000. Not JSU.

DTown,

I know you pressed the wrong board and everything but we only want to play you guys in NO because we are not used to sub-standard conditions. I will tell MD to see if you have joined JAG.

Diesel,

Southern is going to be so sorry and just for your own benefit, I will remind you that JSU had a defense in 1990-1997 and 1999. We have only had a suspect defense in 1998, 2000, and 2001. In the early 90's, we lacked offense.

Don't worry about Kent, he is 2-0 against SUcks and SU has seen a three win season more recently than JSU. SU was the one praying for a winning season in 2000. Not JSU.

DTown,

I know you pressed the wrong board and everything but we only want to play you guys in NO because we are not used to sub-standard conditions. I will tell MD to see if you have joined JAG.

You worrying about the wrong thang

Originally posted by Tigerpride

DTown,

Me joining JAG is none of your concern or anyone else's for that matter. Nor, does it have anything to do with my reply to that nonsense you typed.

Richard? Is that the best yall can do? That aint the lil dude from the BC is it? Do yall want to borrow our 3rd string kid from the coast we have coming in this year? Cause it seems like yall need a lil help. Oh Well....at least he light skinneded.

Looks like it s going to be a long season in the bluff. I really hope they move that game to Mudford....I always have a good time rubbing elbows with the SU folks. Yall can be sooo funny sometimes.

The last time I was there, an SU fan confronted me and told me that JSU does not know how to treat SU fans cause our stadium is so small and they dont have anywhere to sit. I didnt respond cause I really thought she was joking and I was waiting on her to laugh. :confused: About 3 minutes later, reality struck me and I came to find out that she was serious. Thats the kind of unaldulterated arrogance that makes me love SU fans. Oh well, I guess thats just how yall was raised.

But I hope yall are ready for this ass whipping that JSU is about to put on yall this year. We can play in New Orleans, BR, or the damn moon. The result will be the same.

and JR....

Redshirts can practice, even partial qualifiers can practice....props cant practice.

Richard? Man please. He better be glad El DeBarge aint playing for SU, or Richard would definitely be on the bench.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Get Ready
The last time I was there, an SU fan confronted me and told me that JSU does not know how to treat SU fans, cause our stadium is so small and they dont have anywhere to sit. I didnt not respond cause I really thought she was joking and I was waiting on her to laugh. :confused: About 3 minutes later, reality struck me and I came to find out that she was serious.
GR, she probably thought you was arrogant because she probably expected an answer after she said all that.

TP,
Kent is 2-0 against SU. Is that all you can say? Is that all you care about? Do you all ever plan to win any gold, or do you just want to beat SU?

I am telling you and the rest of this board today, we are going to beat you to death and by at least 3 tds and it doesn't matter who the quarterback is. And I don't want to hear any excuses from you clowns either.

That's for you too Get Ready. No more tears from you when your team is 3-9.

Kent is all you have and I actually feel sorry for him. He should have listen to the players at Tennessee State after the game and transferred.

Three touchdown spread Get Ready with Mama Jag at quarterback. Do you hear me TP, Robber, and rest of you clowns.

Regardless where the game is played, my jSU friends are welcome at my place afterward if it's in New Orleans or on Swan Street in Baton Rouge. Btw, if you need tickets again, I'll need three weeks notice at $30 a piece plus surcharge.:D

Originally posted by Diesel
TP,
Kent is 2-0 against SU. Is that all you can say? Is that all you care about? Do you all ever plan to win any gold, or do you just want to beat SU?

I am telling you and the rest of this board today, we are going to beat you to death and by at least 3 tds and it doesn't matter who the quarterback is. And I don't want to hear any excuses from you clowns either.

That's for you too Get Ready. No more tears from you when your team is 3-9.

Kent is all you have and I actually feel sorry for him. He should have listen to the players at Tennessee State after the game and transferred.

Three touchdown spread Get Ready with Mama Jag at quarterback. Do you hear me TP, Robber, and rest of you clowns.

How much you wanna bet...oops nevermind. I already learned my lesson about betting a Jag.

Do you reall think that Kent is all we have? Surely you dont think that. Man we are going to crush everybody on offense and most importanly defense. The defense is going to get the ball back this year, so that means we are going to blow a lot of people out.

3-9 huh? Lets see.....that would be Valley, ASU, and SU. and the rest are losses huh?

We are going to beat:
Southern Miss
NCAT&T by 30
Tenn State by 30
Alabama State by 40
Valley by 60
SU by 30
Gram by 30
PV by 20
Alcorn by 15
Pine Bluff by 30
0-10 by 40

Can you tell me where you see 6 losses on that schedule?

Originally posted by BgJag
Regardless where the game is played, my jSU friends are welcome at my place afterward if it's in New Orleans or on Swan Street in Baton Rouge. Btw, if you need tickets again, I'll need three weeks notice at $30 a piece plus surcharge.:D

Keep a brotha in mind.....We should start planning a huge tailgate party if its going to be in BR.

Originally posted by Diesel
TP,
What? We run through you like the runs. Why would we care? The SCG is callin our names and we will bring the "gold" home.

Originally posted by Get Ready

Keep a brotha in mind.....We should start planning a huge tailgate party if its going to be in BR.

For jSU fans, $10 for parking unless you want your brake line cut!:lmao:

they got a new offense and they blasted their defense. I see us scoring 40 this year on SU. The defense is always supposed to be ahead of the offense, unless your offense contains nothing but All-Americans (SU does not). When your first opponent scores 35 oon here don't run away.

I went to TSU's scrimmage last week and their defense is killing their offense. That gives you a sign of hope.

We are going to beat:
Southern Miss
NCAT&T by 30
Tenn State by 30
Alabama State by 40
Valley by 60
SU by 30
Gram by 30
PV by 20
Alcorn by 15

Pine Bluff by 30
0-10 by 40
Get Ready, Are you saying your closes 2 games will be PV and Alcorn???

I just had this same argument with a Cartel member in BR....

and he got blasted by a non-Jag college coach on the talent in Louisiana and where it resides for this year. Of the schools in contention, you have McNeese St. and Southern Univ. He notes that Grambling has "potential", but it depends on how well they gel.

I remember guessing that Al. State would be top dawg also, because I have a long memory and I did recall that Kennedy was coming back (before we learned of the academic problems).

So, my short-term memory fans who thought that the entire SU team depended on Terrance Levy to win, you have been SUckered!!!

If you didn't beat us last year, you SURELY won't do it this year!

Mark my words...!

We're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back