Removing crab grass and weeds from ur lawn

Speaking for myself, I pull up the roots, and then treat my grass......Even after treatment, some weeds will pop up every now and then. The main thing though is getting to the root of these weeds.

Warndalyn, I've also learned to experiment with what works best for my yard. If Vigoro is not working for you then you may need to try something else.
I've only used it one time...so I wasn't sure if it took a while to work or not. I know absolutely NOTHING about yard work. :D

Weed Killers...

What's good for getting rid of dandelions and those weeds with the yellow flowers? The yard can be cut and the very next day, they are up!

BLublood, I stopped trying ot do-it-myself and called Tru-Green. They came out last Tuesday. That day them dandelions were limped over (a tru sign of dying) and none have popped back up since. They used to be up the next day after mowing with us as well, but whatever Tru Green got is on point!

I am not off to a good start this year. We have been home owners for 9 years and this is the WORST. The weeds are CRAZY for some reason.

I am planning to use this MSMA concentrate every week, coupled with pulling the weeds to get the weed problem under control. I have had to overseed the dead patches in the yard because I think the grub worms have eaten the roots. I think I can get out of the month of April OK.

My back yard looks very good, except for the weeds.

Also, this year I am going to get my fertilizer from a tractor store instead of Home Depot. I just want to try something different and not use products that spend millions on marketing.

what's a tractor store?

I need to know where to buy mulch in bulk.

Sperm may have referred to a feed store. :tup: That's where I get my supplies from. They're cheaper and you get more by volume. :tup: Not sure what Ga has to offer in terms of a feed store (where farmers shop). :) But, that's the stuff this way. :tup:

Also, check w/ your local city. MOST cities (suburbans) here offer mulch <b>free</b>; as much as you desire. Got truck? lol

Also, check w/ your local city. MOST cities (suburbans) here offer mulch <b>free</b>; as much as you desire. Got truck? lol

They shole in the **** do! I just looked it up. One company will deliver it to your house when they are in your area. They won't make a special trip, but if they in the area they'll deliver it. Yes indeed.

In my county the recycling center offers free mulch. YES INDEEDY!

Thanks P~ I'm loving this forum. :read: :blush:

I am not off to a good start this year. We have been home owners for 9 years and this is the WORST. The weeds are CRAZY for some reason.

I am planning to use this MSMA concentrate every week, coupled with pulling the weeds to get the weed problem under control. I have had to overseed the dead patches in the yard because I think the grub worms have eaten the roots. I think I can get out of the month of April OK.

My back yard looks very good, except for the weeds.

Also, this year I am going to get my fertilizer from a tractor store instead of Home Depot. I just want to try something different and not use products that spend millions on marketing.

Sperm I've noticed that weeds are bad all over the city. Several top notch yards look like crap this year. Crab grass,dandelions,crepe mertal and green onions are everywhere.
Sounds like you are about to nip it in the bud.

Well my neighbor's yard is looking GREAT. Her **** is turning green as we speak, with not one WEED! I hate her ass too.

Well my neighbor's yard is looking GREAT. Her **** is turning green as we speak, with not one WEED! I hate her ass too.

I don't like mulch anymore. lol And, you should be careful as NOT to attract termites. lol :read: Wet, damp wood is a recipe for a green light to termites. If you use it, you'd better make DAMN sure you treat it REGULARLY for termites/bugs. I.E., triazicide, malathion, et al pesticides will be your friend. :)

I'd rather go w/ some limestone like rocks to keep the moisture in and around the foundation. :read: They work just as well, if not better, than mulch.

I read about the different types of mulch (along with the termites) and I thought that certain types of mulch was okay?

Anybody giving out free rocks? I need to find something fill my fountain area in my backyard. The previous owners had pinestraw but that crap blows away and fades. I want something that's going to look good.

My neighbors grass always start out prettier than mines, but the key is to maintain it and keep it healthy thru out the summer. That is the hard part for most folks.

Okay, how many treatments of TruGreen does it take for those weeds to disappear?

Depending on you weeks you may need a second treatment but after that you gots to go to work. Mow that grass high and in different directions each time and summerize you grass and post treat in the fall so your job becomes easier year after year.

Oh yeah this last cold snap killed all my grass and the new plants I planted. I will be starting over as soon as it warms back up consistanly.

The key is treating your yard before spring. Two applications of weed and feed should be applied during late fall and winter. You got to prevent your broad leaf weeds from germinating. Weed B-Gone works if applied directly on the broad leaf weed. MSMA works only when it gets hot and is not intended to treat crab grass and dandelions. Image now have MSMA in it. I have a nut sedge problem and I am going to use Image when our nights become warmer.

I found me a place in Irving, TX that makes their own fertilizer. I'm going to apply it every 45 days and spray my yard with weed control every two weeks. I have already applied the insect control. I expect my yard to start to shape up here pretty fast.

This is another reason I can't get my grass right.

Georgia slipping deeper into drought

By STACY SHELTON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/18/07

Despite recent rains, Georgia is slipping deeper into drought, prompting the state's top water official to ramp up statewide restrictions on oudoor water use, including lawn sprinkling and car washing.

Effective immediately, the new water use schedule is as follows: For odd-numbered addresses, outdoor watering is allowed Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays between the hours of midnight and 10 a.m.

For even-numbered and unnumbered addresses, outdoor watering is allowed Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays between the hours of midnight and 10 a.m.

Farmers and businesses that depend on water, such as carwashes and landscapers, are exempt from the restrictions. Also exempt are homeowners who use well water or who are watering food gardens.

The measures are being taken to conserve water. Lake Lanier, the federal reservoir near Gainesville that supplies most of metro Atlanta's drinking water, is a couple of feet below normal and is not expected to recover this year. Web sites for more information on the drought are www.georgiadrought.org and www.georgiaweather.net

Man, bump that. I was out there last night watering my lawn, right before I put the weed killer on it. And I have an even number address. I'm about ready to set fire to it.

Yall are all working hard for next year. You can not get your yard in order this year if you are starting now. Well at least not until the end of summer. You have to start in the early spring before the growing season. Once the grass starts grwoing at the rate it is now, it is very difficult to fix problems that involve the stoppage of growth. You almost can't kill weeds without killing the grass too. But keep treating your grass all summer. Fertilize and apply weed killer at least every six weeks. Then this winter, apply fert and weed killer once or twice when you know it will be sunny, even though it is cold. By next summer your grass should have a vast improvement.

Fertilizer pellets are slow working and you can overuse them and burn your grass. The liquids work faster but are not as long acting as the pellets.

When I moved into my new spot in Feb. I immediatly hit it with Scott's turf builder and some triple 15 fert that I used to use to grow crops. That is what has my grass nice and thick now. I have come back and applied triple 10 and another turfbuilder in April. I will do another cycle in June, and again in August. Then I will start to prepare my grass for winter, and in October, I 'll start planting my winter rye grass so I can have a nice green winter lawn and have some materials to decay for the summer months.

I found me a place in Irving, TX that makes their own fertilizer. I'm going to apply it every 45 days and spray my yard with weed control every two weeks. I have already applied the insect control. I expect my yard to start to shape up here pretty fast.

Do not apply that weed control every two weeks, that is too much stuff for your yard to take in. You should be doing a application every 6-8 weeks. Get something that has weed control and a good fertilizer in it.

Yall are all working hard for next year. You can not get your yard in order this year if you are starting now. Well at least not until the end of summer. You have to start in the early spring before the growing season. Once the grass starts grwoing at the rate it is now, it is very difficult to fix problems that involve the stoppage of growth. You almost can't kill weeds without killing the grass too. But keep treating your grass all summer. Fertilize and apply weed killer at least every six weeks. Then this winter, apply fert and weed killer once or twice when you know it will be sunny, even though it is cold. By next summer your grass should have a vast improvement.

Fertilizer pellets are slow working and you can overuse them and burn your grass. The liquids work faster but are not as long acting as the pellets.

When I moved into my new spot in Feb. I immediatly hit it with Scott's turf builder and some triple 15 fert that I used to use to grow crops. That is what has my grass nice and thick now. I have come back and applied triple 10 and another turfbuilder in April. I will do another cycle in June, and again in August. Then I will start to prepare my grass for winter, and in October, I 'll start planting my winter rye grass so I can have a nice green winter lawn and have some materials to decay for the summer months.

Listen to this man.........

Although depending on what area you're in, you can still get your yard in order.

Well since TruGreen came out, all the crab grass has turned black and is shriviling up. The cg is slowly dying and disappearing. I'm so glad. After the first treatment though, the cg turned black but another type of weed/wild grass started coming up here and there. It's almost the same texture as the grass, but it grows tall and is greener. :no: I've just been spraying that with weed be gone. We've already put down our first treatment of lime two weeks ago.

Overall, it's looking better.

Back