Recruiting 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wish some SWAC schools would be in the running for Calyin Newton. Last I saw, he was being recruited heavily by Tenn. State and the MEAC schools.

But he will probably be an Auburn commit just because of his last name.

If you want to compete you have to be able to win on NSD.

12/14/16 and 2/1/17... Can't wait! *snicker*

Wish some SWAC schools would be in the running for Calyin Newton. Last I saw, he was being recruited heavily by Tenn. State and the MEAC schools.

SU offered him a number of weeks ago.

SU offered him almost a month ago maybe longer.

Didnt One of the Brothers go to Tenn state?

I wish the SWAC teams would put more time into recruiting HS and developing a program, rather than shooting offers out to JC guys and hoping they come in and contribute. Nothing wrong with Juco guys, I just thing a good mix is key to maintaining a sustainable program.

I wish the SWAC teams would put more time into recruiting HS and developing a program, rather than shooting offers out to JC guys and hoping they come in and contribute. Nothing wrong with Juco guys, I just thing a good mix is key to maintaining a sustainable program.

Did you look at the SWAC schools' offers before you posted this? We've always had a heavy HS recruiting class. This year it changes though. ;)

Last edited:

With SWAC budgets the way they are, its hard to attract & retain talented assistant coaches who are masters at developing HS players. Its also easier to misevaluate a HS player when you cant travel to watch as many games & practices as schools with bigger budgets. Then you often have player retention problems, which is usually a red flag of a bad staff/head coach.

I do prefer HS-heavy classes though.

With SWAC budgets the way they are, its hard to attract & retain talented assistant coaches who are masters at developing HS players. Its also easier to misevaluate a HS player when you cant travel to watch as many games & practices as schools with bigger budgets. Then you often have player retention problems, which is usually a red flag of a bad staff/head coach.

I do prefer HS-heavy classes though.
How much developing do you think goes on at Alabama or LSU? If you have to spend a ton of time developing players you already lost in recruiting. You have to make them physically and mentally prepared to run your system. You don't have much time to teach basics to guys who have played 4 years of high school ball plus little league and middle school.

How much developing do you think goes on at Alabama or LSU? If you have to spend a ton of time developing players you already lost in recruiting. You have to make them physically and mentally prepared to run your system. You don't have much time to teach basics to guys who have played 4 years of high school ball plus little league and middle school.

Not much developing goes on at the Power 5 level. Some of the best coaches are at the smaller schools like ours. Look at SC State and other MEAC schools pumping out NFL players left and right. Those kids are taught things that they either didn't get in HS or were perfected on for college football purposes.

For example. Pass rush technique is taught in HS, but often only at the level needed for success in HS. But once in college, that technique has to be built upon to be of good use against college OL. Kinda like math.

The P5 players usually have an ungodly combo of size and speed, and get outside coaching from higher level trainers/camps, etc..before they leave HS.

To be honest as a dad with young athletes 6th and 11th grade, thy don't even develop players at their level, if you can't come to the team already trained, it's too late

Did you look at the SWAC schools' offers before you posted this? We've always had a heavy HS recruiting class. This year it changes though. ;)
My brother, I have place these kids all the time in SWAC schools...alot of them want JUCO more than HS. Just trust me.

So
To be honest as a dad with young athletes 6th and 11th grade, thy don't even develop players at their level, if you can't come to the team already trained, it's too late
So true!! It's a business, the job of a coach is to do just that coach. A coach is not going to train your athletes that's a job of a trainer that's how they feel.

So

So true!! It's a business, the job of a coach is to do just that coach. A coach is not going to train your athletes that's a job of a trainer that's how they feel.

I noticed the recent-type explosion of folks paying for trainers and "pop-up" training centers left and right. Man...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back