PVAMU Receives $50 million donation

I did find this interesting

To select these 384, the team sought suggestions and perspective from hundreds of field experts, funders, and non-profit leaders and volunteers with decades of experience. We leveraged this collective knowledge base in a collaboration that included hundreds of emails and phone interviews, and thousands of pages of data analysis on community needs, program outcomes, and each non-profit’s capacity to absorb and make effective use of funding. We looked at 6,490 organizations, and undertook deeper research into 822. We put 438 of these on hold for now due to insufficient evidence of impact, unproven management teams, or to allow for further inquiry about specific issues such as treatment of community members or employees. We won’t always learn about a concern inside an organization, but when we do, we’ll take extra time to evaluate. We’ll never eliminate every risk through our analysis, but we’ll eliminate many. Then we can select organizations to assist — and get out of their way.

I do think it will be a second wave gifts. But some of our HBCU'S that don't have their "stuff together", will miss out

Gotta respect that process though. No one will throw money if there is a risk that the intended purpose wont be fulfilled.

To select these 384, the team sought suggestions and perspective from hundreds of field experts, funders, and non-profit leaders and volunteers with decades of experience. We leveraged this collective knowledge base in a collaboration that included hundreds of emails and phone interviews, and thousands of pages of data analysis on community needs, program outcomes, and each non-profit’s capacity to absorb and make effective use of funding. We looked at 6,490 organizations, and undertook deeper research into 822. We put 438 of these on hold for now due to insufficient evidence of impact, unproven management teams, or to allow for further inquiry about specific issues such as treatment of community members or employees. We won’t always learn about a concern inside an organization, but when we do, we’ll take extra time to evaluate. We’ll never eliminate every risk through our analysis, but we’ll eliminate many. Then we can select organizations to assist — and get out of their way.

I do think it will be a second wave gifts. But some of our HBCU'S that don't have their "stuff together", will miss out

I am gonna make a post in our Valley groups letting them know about how our admin better have their stuff together when a 2nd wave comes and having multiple plans on what to do with the money at varying amounts

For example, if we got similar to what Alcorn got, I would suggest they put enough in the endowment to get it to $10 million or more to ensure scholarships (including athletics) can be fully funded. Definitely would be bring back the nursing program and the rest would be used to help do outreach between Valley and Itta Bena revitalizing the town

If we got what PV got, I would still do everything above and do some renovations as well

If we got less, my focus would be primarly on the endowment and nursing program

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwONtlmybyM

$50M gift to Prairie View A&M considered game-changer for HBCU​

Philanthropist MacKenzie Scott surprised Prairie View A&M with its single largest donation which was a part of Scott's recent $4.2 billion in charitable giving.

PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas — With just a few weeks left in 2020, Prairie View A&M University managed to squeeze in one more historic moment.

“$50 million from MacKenzie Scott,” said PVAMU student body president Alanna Gaskin. “Phenomenal. Like, it’s amazing. When the students and I received the notification of this donation, of course we were shocked, but we were also elated in saying that this will help further invest into the programs and departments that help the students succeed academically, professionally, socially.”

It's a $50 million hand up in a year when so many of us have been pushed down.

“It’s incredible, that amount. It’s hard to even fathom,” said PVAMU provost James Palmer. “A university like Prairie View, in fact, at one point had its entire budget at about $50 million.”

Scott’s gift is the single largest donation made to Prairie View A&M, a historically black college or university that’s about an hour drive from Houston.

“We are actually in 35 different counties across the State of Texas,” said Palmer, who thinks that’s why the university was chosen.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbFOeetzsw

The University met several requirements outlined in Scott’s recent announcement of awards given nationally. The criteria focused on organizations with strong leadership teams and results with special attention to organizations engaging in communities facing food insecurity, racial inequity, high poverty rates, and low access to philanthropic capital.

Every HBCU meets the requirement. It is about having the proper paper work in place.

The link please.

Above is post she made, detailing everything and a list of all organizations

Below was the metrics the committee used from her foundation. This statement was used by all universities that received a gift.

The University met several requirements outlined in Scott’s recent announcement of awards given nationally. The criteria focused on organizations with strong leadership teams and results with special attention to organizations engaging in communities facing food insecurity, racial inequity, high poverty rates, and low access to philanthropic capital.

Last edited:
Above is post she made, detailing everything and a list of all organizations

Below was the metrics the committee used from her foundation. This statement was used by all universities that received a gift.

Using this metric, all hbcus should have applied, and would, with great certainty, have been accepted and awarded. I wonder if any other SWAC schools applied?

Using this metric, all hbcus should have applied, and would, with great certainty, have been accepted and awarded. I wonder if any other SWAC schools applied?
As I stated on a earlier post 438 "organizations'" we're put on hold for insufficient information etc. We will see what the next step us, if another wave will come.....

We put 438 of these on hold for now due to insufficient evidence of impact, unproven management teams, or to allow for further inquiry about specific issues such as treatment of community members or employees. We won’t always learn about a concern inside an organization, but when we do, we’ll take extra time to evaluate. We’ll never eliminate every risk through our analysis, but we’ll eliminate many. Then we can select organizations to assist — and get out of their way.

As I stated on a earlier post 438 "organizations'" we're put on hold for insufficient information etc. We will see what the next step us, if another wave will come.....

We put 438 of these on hold for now due to insufficient evidence of impact, unproven management teams, or to allow for further inquiry about specific issues such as treatment of community members or employees. We won’t always learn about a concern inside an organization, but when we do, we’ll take extra time to evaluate. We’ll never eliminate every risk through our analysis, but we’ll eliminate many. Then we can select organizations to assist — and get out of their way.
Saw this hbcudigest article

Firing a president, infighting among trustees, accreditation inquiries and sanctions, and public dissatisfaction among students and alumni will force an HBCU off the radar of Scott’s team of advisors and analysts. She will still work to fulfill what appears to be a goal of transforming every individual HBCU campus in the country, but it is clear that her money is worth the wait for campuses to get right.

The path to prosperity seems simple; HBCU’s must do their immediate best to build relationships with media, particularly news media that is endeared and exclusive to covering HBCUs at a national level. Key stakeholders among HBCU leadership, alumni, students, and communities need to lock themselves in a room and hug out whatever issues exist that could impact public perception of their institutions.

Saw this hbcudigest article

Firing a president, infighting among trustees, accreditation inquiries and sanctions, and public dissatisfaction among students and alumni will force an HBCU off the radar of Scott’s team of advisors and analysts. She will still work to fulfill what appears to be a goal of transforming every individual HBCU campus in the country, but it is clear that her money is worth the wait for campuses to get right.

The path to prosperity seems simple; HBCU’s must do their immediate best to build relationships with media, particularly news media that is endeared and exclusive to covering HBCUs at a national level. Key stakeholders among HBCU leadership, alumni, students, and communities need to lock themselves in a room and hug out whatever issues exist that could impact public perception of their institutions.

Thanks for posting that. I've been explaining how problematic and costly those very issues are for the last several days to my fellow alums.

thought about that but noticed this connection:

No other swac school received funds except 2 and a lot have been stable. The ones on the east Coast looks to have benefited due to location as some have changed leadership over the years also but check this out:

Dillard - alma mater of PV President
Alcorn - President used to work at PV with Simmons
PV - that who has the relationship with Bezos

Maybe Simmons was given leeway to dictate how that cash was spent hbcu wise since they assume she’s familiar with the region. The East Coast schools all benefited but different metrics were used in the south obviously

But then Texas A&M international gets it also - so maybe Texas A&M was driving the bus all the time

If Lincoln of Pennsylvania gets cash no way a swac school doesn’t Based on that criteria

Last edited:
Gotta respect that process though. No one will throw money if there is a risk that the intended purpose wont be fulfilled.

They talked about how much they researched each institution they gave to

“We do this research and deeper diligence not only to identify organizations with high potential for impact, but also to pave the way for unsolicited and unexpected gifts given with full trust and no strings attached,” Scott wrote in her post.

https://www.thenew93q.com/news/trending/mackenzie-scott-jeff-bezoss-ex-wife-donates-more-than-4-billion-charity/BCEIKSKX55BQ7OGOJHSCGITRJI/

I don't think we will have a second wave" I say that for the fact that millions were given to the UNCF abd TMF.

I will also say this, we need to do better as schools marketing ourselves. TikTok gave millions to HBCU'S for health care students. I laugh because some of these schools nursing programs barely got accredited due to very low passing or low degree completion.Yet SU the largest BSN MSN and PHD, program did not receive anything nor did some of our other top HBCU nursing programs.

thought about that but noticed this connection:

No other swac school received funds except 2 and a lot have been stable. The ones on the east Coast looks to have benefited due to location as some have changed leadership over the years also but check this out:

Dillard - alma mater of PV President
Alcorn - President used to work at PV with Simmons
PV - that who has the relationship with Bezos

Maybe Simmons was given leeway to dictate how that cash was spent hbcu wise since they assume she’s familiar with the region. The East Coast schools all benefited but different metrics were used in the south obviously

But then Texas A&M international gets it also - so maybe Texas A&M was driving the bus all the time

If Lincoln of Pennsylvania gets cash no way a swac school doesn’t Based on that criteria

The seven 1890 land-grant universities Scott selected will receive the following amounts:

· Alcorn State University: $25 million
· Delaware State University: $20 million
· North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University: $45 million
· Prairie View A&M University: $50 million
· Tuskegee University: $20 million
· University of Maryland Eastern Shore: $20 million
· Virginia State University: $30 million

advisors took a data-driven approach to identifying organizations “with strong leadership teams and results, with special attention to those operating in communities facing high projected food insecurity, high measures of racial inequality, high local poverty rates, and low access to philanthropic capital,” according to Scott’s Medium post.

Even been to Pine Bluff, Arkansas? Way needier than A&T, etc. that’s a land grant in need but the key is who was in the room when decisions were made

I don't think we will have a second wave" I say that for the fact that millions were given to the UNCF abd TMF.

I will also say this, we need to do better as schools marketing ourselves. TikTok gave millions to HBCU'S for health care students. I laugh because some of these schools nursing programs barely got accredited due to very low passing or low degree completion.Yet SU the largest BSN MSN and PHD, program did not receive anything nor did some of our other top HBCU nursing programs.

I sure hope you're wrong. This latest round of giving came after she already gave over the summer to Howard, Hampton, Morehouse, Tuskegee, Spelman and Xavier Louisiana. Let's keep hope alive.😅

FYI, San Jac (San Jacinto College) received a 30M$ donation from the M-Scott Foundation to be distributed and used as others were gifted.

Will HBCUS be apart of this 2nd wave? A lot of the universities thus far have huge Latino populations.

It’s too bad that people like Elon Musk aren’t doing things like what Mackenzie Scott is doing.

What a $50 Million Donation Did for One H.B.C.U.​

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/07/style/hbcu-mackenzie-scott-donation.html?

Prairie View A&M University, the first state-supported college for African Americans in Texas, received a $50 million donation from MacKenzie Scott in 2020.Rahim Fortune for The New York Times

PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas — In-person learning resumed at Prairie View A&M University at the end of August, and the campus was soon buzzing with familiar sounds and sights: freshmen laughing in the dining hall, students walking across the sprawling yard in between classes.
There were also inescapable nods to our current era, like signs on light posts with different reminders, including “Today’s Task: Wear Your Mask.”
If colleges have been among the most disrupted institutions during the pandemic, they have also been centers of hope and resilience. At Prairie View, a historically Black university, some of that optimism has been magnified by a $50 million donation from MacKenzie Scott, the former wife of Jeff Bezos, who has quietly given billions of dollars to underfunded organizations since 2020.

The president of Prairie View, Ruth Simmons, is using the money for initiatives to reignite the campus, including starting a writing program, opening a center for race and justice, increasing the university’s endowment and reserving $10 million for a grant program from which some students are already benefiting.

Joshua Gant, 21, remembers texting his mother several months ago about his remaining balance for the summer semester and his concerns about how it was going to get paid. He had applied for a Panther Success Grant — created in 2020 to provide support for students financially impacted by the pandemic — but had not heard back yet.

Born in Shreveport, La., Mr. Gant came to Prairie View to study mass communication and play trombone in the marching band. At the height of the pandemic, he juggled his music, a part-time job and his virtual classes, all while managing the anxiety and depression that crept in during isolation.
When he finally reached the financial aid office, Mr. Gant was told that if he didn’t pay off his tuition balance in time he would be dropped from his classes. Then, just before the deadline, $2,000 landed in his account and reduced his debt to $0.
“It said: Panther Success Grant has been added to your account,” Mr. Gant said. “I’m like, ‘Mom, you don’t have to worry about it.’ And she’s like, ‘Thank you, God.’”

The grant helped him quit his job so he could focus on graduating. He hopes to stay at Prairie View for graduate school, too, for audio engineering or radio broadcasting.

Will HBCUS be apart of this 2nd wave? A lot of the universities thus far have huge Latino populations.

Everyone is vying for that population group as they can boost your enrollment overnight. Issue is they play it safe and will stay close to home.

But now your going to see us vying with Hispanic Serving Institutes for funding and you'll be surprised which major universities are using that to get funds

Back