PVAMU Receives $50 million donation

Yes Indeed! Storm 96 we were posting this at the same time. I'm on my company recruiting team at PV and one our you Alumni posted this to our Teams page.

Congrats!!!

A Gift to PVAMU: Donor Announces $50 Million Gift to Prairie View A&M University​

PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas – Writer and philanthropist MacKenzie Scott has given $50 million to Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) to be used at the discretion of the President to support the needs of the University. Ruth J. Simmons, President of Prairie View, commented, “This is a historic gift for Prairie View, coming at a time when the University had already decided and begun to invest heavily in key areas to strengthen its academic programs and improve student success. The timing of this gift could, therefore, not be better.”

Ms. Scott notified Simmons of the intent to donate the gift several weeks earlier but had imposed limits on how much could be disclosed about the gift. In particular, the gift was to be anonymous, and the specific amount was not to be disclosed. The recent announcement by the donor released the University from those conditions.

University administrators chose to designate $10 million of the total to create the Panther Success Grant Program, an effort to assist juniors and seniors with unpaid balances created by the financial challenges posed by Covid-19. Those funds remain designated for financial aid and will continue to be disbursed to students over the next several years, supplementing other forms of financial aid. The University plans to allocate remaining funds to the University endowment to support high priority academic needs, including endowed faculty positions, faculty recruitment and faculty development, improvements in academic areas, undergraduate scholarships, and graduate fellowships. With this substantial addition of funds, the University’s $95 million endowment will increase nearly 40 percent to almost $130 million, making it one of the largest endowments at a Historically Black College or University.

While many at the University, including the President, were surprised by the source and amount of the gift, Simmons had been in communication with the donor about a matter not involving Prairie View. Over the course of those communications, the donor had given no hint that she was considering a gift to Prairie View until an unexpected telephone call from an assistant revealed this intention. “I was stunned and, for a time, speechless,” said Simmons. “At first I thought I had surely misheard the amount, and I asked them to repeat it; they clarified that it would be ‘$50 (five zero) million.’”

Prairie View has had a number of high profile gifts in recent months: $1 million for the Center for Race and Justice from HEB Chairman Charles Butt; $1.5 million from the Mellon Foundation for Afro-American Studies and faculty development; $1.5 million from Houston Endowment for the College of Education; $1 million from Bank of America for career services; $850,000 from Vistra, Inc., to improve educational opportunities for students, $2 million from community leader Shari Griswold for scholarships; and many more.

Founded in 1876 and located in Prairie View, Texas, Prairie View A&M University is a land grant university and a member of the Texas A&M University System. Known for educating African American engineers, nurses, architects, and scientists, the university offers a range of academic programs through its School of Architecture and its Colleges of Agriculture and Human Sciences, Arts and Sciences, Business, Juvenile Justice and Psychology, Engineering, and Nursing.

PV_WelcomeHill2_WS-1536x632.jpg

Reading about the success of PVAMU has me wondering about where this will leave TSU. PVAMU is looking way more attractive to the top students than TSU right now ... our enrollment already dropped 20% this fall which is one of the highest in the state.

I enjoy healthy competition but PV is like kicking our ass right now. Yes, our campus is top notch now but we are falling behind in other important metrics compared to PVAMU.

Last edited:
Congratulations PV! I am so happy for you! Contribution to your endowment is the way to go!

FINALLY

A billionaire realizing that more than 4 private expensive as hell HBCUs exist lol

Alcorn got $25 million and Morgan State got $40 million.

That money goes a lot further at these schools
Twenty-one hbcus received gifts from Ms. Scott starting at $5M, including Norfolk State, Dillard, Hampton and others. Most of the gifts were in the $20M range.

I'm sure just about all HBCUs will be touched when she's done.

It's gonna be put up or shut up for these other mega billionaires out here. She has laid the gauntlet as far as philanthrophy towards HBCUs

I posted this on the other post. These gifts were not given out randomly, you had to apply.
I will say this, some of our HBCUS are paying people $100,000 to be over their philanthropy. I would be feeling some type of way if I did not at least apply.

I hope all of our HBCU'S that received these life changing gifts, are smart on spending.

50 million in 10 to 20 years could turn into 100 million with the right investment (match finding, research match funding etc.

Last edited:
Dr. Ruth is on the trail, we had just recently received another gift, amazing how she came out of retirement and working harder than people who were younger than her who previously held the same position.

Dr. Ruth is on the trail, we had just recently received another gift, amazing how she came out of retirement and working harder than people who were younger than her who previously held the same position.

Attachments

• .animated_1607819939261.gif
    .animated_1607819939261.gif
    294.5 KB · Views: 3
I did find this interesting

To select these 384, the team sought suggestions and perspective from hundreds of field experts, funders, and non-profit leaders and volunteers with decades of experience. We leveraged this collective knowledge base in a collaboration that included hundreds of emails and phone interviews, and thousands of pages of data analysis on community needs, program outcomes, and each non-profit’s capacity to absorb and make effective use of funding. We looked at 6,490 organizations, and undertook deeper research into 822. We put 438 of these on hold for now due to insufficient evidence of impact, unproven management teams, or to allow for further inquiry about specific issues such as treatment of community members or employees. We won’t always learn about a concern inside an organization, but when we do, we’ll take extra time to evaluate. We’ll never eliminate every risk through our analysis, but we’ll eliminate many. Then we can select organizations to assist — and get out of their way.

I do think it will be a second wave gifts. But some of our HBCU'S that don't have their "stuff together", will miss out

Last edited:
Back