Prop 8 passed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being gay is a choice. Being black is not.

thats where I strongly disagree with you knowing you are going to be harrassed EVERY day. There were some folks I went to elementary school with that everybody knew they were going to be gay when they got older... you think that was a 7 year olds choice? Its only having been harrassed most of their childhood that they just dont give a damn when they get older.

thats where I strongly disagree with you knowing you are going to be harrassed EVERY day. There were some folks I went to elementary school with that everybody knew they were going to be gay when they got older... you think that was a 7 year olds choice? Its only having been harrassed most of their childhood that they just dont give a damn when they get older.

This I definately agree with. I know a girl who's a lesbian and some grown arse men jumped her just because. It's pretty sad. I don't agree with what they do but they are human just like everybody else.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

I think it is still the choice of a person to be gay or not. Either you can continue to be that way or you cannot continue to be that way. Either I can continue to go to work and make smart decisions or I cannot do that.

Unless it is proven that being gay is genetic, it is a person's choice to be that way.

I don't have a problem with homos myself. If they want to be that way, then fine. However, there is no way their struggle can be compared to the Civil Rights Movement. Being gay is a choice. Being black is not.
There's always second opinions man. Unless you're in both shoes and/or can see the thin thread from one or both, you'd never see it anyway. Choice or not, when you're a group, whose highly marginalized, and your rights are denied for being what you are, something you can't change at all, it's the same form of discrimination that our forebearers went though and rallied against. And when you get tired and lash out, that's when the fight begins. After hearing about that Stonewall Riot (Thanks Barack for sharing this story cause I never would've known by anyone else.), that cemented the similarities all in one shot for me. Furthermore, when you "know your place" due to both the times and the climate as our brothas and sistas back then did, trust me, it can be seen just as similar. Same with the 2nd of my 3rd: The Native Ones (I don't say "Indians cause that's a true misnomer). And that's another topic altogether that I plan on introducing.

I think it is still the choice of a person to be gay or not. Either you can continue to be that way or you cannot continue to be that way. Either I can continue to go to work and make smart decisions or I cannot do that.

Unless it is proven that being gay is genetic, it is a person's choice to be that way.

That I strong disagree with. That's like saying you can choose and/or control what your attractions are before you know what they are. It's not that simple. Hell if it were, the temptation for men and women for outside dick and pussy would be easily avoided (hope my vituperative expressions are not too out there for y'all). From what I can discern, it's more innate than anything. And if it's innate, you can neither teach it nor learn it. That's like saying a duck can say when it's going to migrate or an infant knows to go to it's motheers breast. It's a not a decision. You just know and are. If it were that simple, this issue wouldn't be. Not to mention that almost every man's fantasy would really just be a fantasy.

Again, sorry for rambling. But issues of marginalization will get this type of response from me.

Last edited:
That I strong disagree with. That's like saying you can choose what your attractions are before you know what they are. From what I can discern it's more innate than anything. You can't teach it and you can't learn it. You just are.

I interviewed a man whose father was a member of the KKK in Alabama. He told me that almost his whole family, with the execption of his mother, lived that lifestyle. He ended up joining the Army after high school and soon realized it would not productive to follow in his dad's footsteps.

He said, "I chose not to live that way."

Now, if that man can choose not to be part of the KKK when he grew up in that environment, a person can choose to be gay or not.

Everything you do or say or how you think is a choice. I don't care what environment you grew up in.

I interviewed a man whose father was a member of the KKK in Alabama. He told me that almost his whole family, with the execption of his mother, lived that lifestyle. He ended up joining the Army after high school and soon realized it would not productive to follow in his dad's footsteps.

He said, "I chose not to live that way."

Now, if that man can choose not to be part of the KKK when he grew up in that environment, a person can choose to be gay or not.

Everything you do or say or how you think is a choice. I don't care what environment you grew up in.

That example's a HUGE reach. That's not an innate issue. He'd had to be exposed and taught what it means to be a member of the KKK in some form or fashion for him to join. And then make a conscious decision

I personally don't support gay marriages.

However, I am completely against government passing bills that take away anybody's freedom of choice. If somebody chooses to be in that kind of relationship, they should have the same rights and privileges as anybody else.

If you are against gay marriage, I'd assume that you don't intend on marrying someone of the same gender as you...so why should it bother you in the first place? What does their preference have to do with your life?

Coming from a moral POV, this bill is the result of judgemental, discriminating people, who are too closed minded to let people live their own lives. This also applies to people who support the bill against abortions. But that's for another thread.

I personally don't support gay marriages.

However, I am completely against government passing bills that take away anybody's freedom of choice. If somebody chooses to be in that kind of relationship, they should have the same rights and privileges as anybody else.

I rarely get bibical, but if you are a Christian or whatever religion and believe what the Bible or Torah or Kuran says, then being a homosexual goes against God's law. I think gay people should be allowed to do everything except get married. Marriage has a love component but a spritual component as well. And for two men or two women to get married in a church or under the authority of a man or woman of the cloth, is not good if you believe in what the Bible says.

I rarely get bibical, but if you are a Christian or whatever religion and believe what the Bible or Torah or Kuran says, then being a homosexual goes against God's law. I think gay people should be allowed to do everything except get married. Marriage has a love component but a spritual component as well. And for two men or two women to get married in a church or under the authority of a man or woman of the cloth, is not good if you believe in what the Bible says.

Yes, I am a Christian. However, I believe that it would be wrong for me to push my beliefs onto anybody (no matter how strongly I feel about them). It would be like an atheist pushing his/her beliefs on me. It's wrong.

I guess I believe that it is WRONG for me to judge anybody else. That's why I feel so strongly about the whole issue. I'm not gay, so why should gay issues bother me? Am I against gay marriage? Yes. Is it my place to want to abolish gay marriage? Absolutely NOT!

The Bible is the rule and guide for MY faith. It helps me with MY walk with God. I believe that in the end, every knee shall bow and every tongue must confess, and I believe that I cannot answer for anybody but myself when that time comes. Everybody has to answer for themselves. So while we are alive and on this Earth, anybody should be free to do whatever they please (especially if it isn't hurting anybody that isn't directly involved).

Yes, I am a Christian. However, I believe that it would be wrong for me to push my beliefs onto anybody (no matter how strongly I feel about them). It would be like an atheist pushing his/her beliefs on me. It's wrong.

I guess I believe that it is WRONG for me to judge anybody else. That's why I feel so strongly about the whole issue. I'm not gay, so why should gay issues bother me? Am I against gay marriage? Yes. Is it my place to want to abolish gay marriage? Absolutely NOT!

The Bible is the rule and guide for MY faith. It helps me with MY walk with God. I believe that in the end, every knee shall bow and every tongue must confess, and I believe that I cannot answer for anybody but myself when that time comes. Everybody has to answer for themselves. So while we are alive and on this Earth, anybody should be free to do whatever they please (especially if it isn't hurting anybody that isn't directly involved).

1. I can't believe I'm taking the advice of an old person, but sometimes you have to the right thing even if is wrong. Again, I don't want to turn this into a sermon. But I was taught as a Christian that we should go out and spread God's word to everyone. I would not call that forcing beliefs on anyone, but isn't that one of the duties of being a Christian?

2. You are right. We all have free will. However, we all have to suffer the consequences for some of those choices. And just because our actions are not physically hurting anyone that does not mean we don't hurt those people mentally and emotionally or in other ways. Hey, I know some families who are torn apart because a person in that family is gay. You don't think that takes a toll on those people in that family?

I can abstain from having heterosexual sex, but I can't abstain from being Black, which explains why someone's pick of sexual partner is totally different than someone's racial classification. Barack Obama's mother was White and he was raised by her White family, but just because his daddy was Black, makes him Black and there's nothing Barack can do to change that.

I know I keep saying the same thing over and over when this type of thing comes up but it simply amazes me how people use this argument (...and no I don't give a dayum what ya'll got to say about me taking up for gay people). I don't know where I stand on this issue biblically becasue Leviticus does not apply to anything in our life in 2008. However, just to make a point about the above in bold, yes, you can abstain from heterosexual sex but you will still be straight. So just because a man/woman abstains from homosexual sex will not make them not gay. In other words, I don't think your reasoning is logical. Sexual orientation is not an act. I would assume that you were straight before you ever had sex.

Gay marriage? I really don't see the point. I am not up on the laws but if they can get civil unions or wills drawn up, I don't see the need to get married.

1. I can't believe I'm taking the advice of an old person, but sometimes you have to the right thing even if is wrong. Again, I don't want to turn this into a sermon. But I was taught as a Christian that we should go out and spread God's word to everyone. I would not call that forcing beliefs on anyone, but isn't that one of the duties of being a Christian?

2. You are right. We all have free will. However, we all have to suffer the consequences for some of those choices. And just because our actions are not physically hurting anyone that does not mean we don't hurt those people mentally and emotionally or in other ways. Hey, I know some families who are torn apart because a person in that family is gay. You don't think that takes a toll on those people in that family?

1. Yeah. I understand that it is good for me to spread the word, and share my beliefs. But what the government (as well as the folks that supported the goverenment on this) did was pass a bill, which directly violates one's freedom of choice and their way of life. That, IMO, is an example of forcing one's beliefs onto people.

2. That's understandable. But when it comes to one's lifestyle, no matter how much a family member might disagree or grieve about it, if that person is really happy with that lifestyle, then the family should show support. If the family chooses not to support that person and his/her lifestyle, that doesn't give that family the right to force their beliefs and opinions on that person. Does it?

I think genetics has pretty much proved it. Although, if you waiting on science to prove things, you will be waiting a long time. I am sure that there are lot of things you believe in that science has not proven. Everyone's body is different. Even straight people like different things sexually. People like different foods. Some people can eat raw carrots but not cooked carrots. Doesn't science say that God did not create the heavens and the earth...lol Also, science has proven that 70% of twins have the same sexual orientation. Why? who knows?

However, you saying some really dumb stuff. You are comparing making the choice to go to work to sexual orientation. :rolleyes: So, what if someone tomorrow discovered and could PROVE that (biblically) sex between a man and woman could ONLY happen if you were trying to have a child and that ALL other sex had to be homosexual. Are you saying to me that you can just change to homosexual tomorrow? I REALLY want you to answer that question. Can you choose to be a homo if the bible told you to?

The proof should lie more to common sense. ALL of the gay people I know say they were born that way and knew at an early age...never having a chance to choose. Also, these people get abused, disowned, ridiculed, killed, etc...and for what? To get a di@k up the azz? It can't be worth all of that. Seriously.

I think genetics has pretty much proved it. Although, if you waiting on science to prove things, you will be waiting a long time. I am sure that there are lot of things you believe in that science has not proven. Everyone's body is different. Even straight people like different things sexually. People like different foods. Some people can eat raw carrots but not cooked carrots. Doesn't science say that God did not create the heavens and the earth...lol Also, science has proven that 70% of twins have the same sexual orientation. Why? who knows?

However, you saying some really dumb stuff. You are comparing making the choice to go to work to sexual orientation. :rolleyes: So, what if someone tomorrow discovered and could PROVE that (biblically) sex between a man and woman could ONLY happen if you were trying to have a child and that ALL other sex had to be homosexual. Are you saying to me that you can just change to homosexual tomorrow? I REALLY want you to answer that question. Can you choose to be a homo if the bible told you to?

The proof should lie more to common sense. ALL of the gay people I know say they were born that way and knew at an early age...never having a chance to choose. Also, these people get abused, disowned, ridiculed, killed, etc...and for what? To get a di@k up the azz? It can't be worth all of that. Seriously.

I think that it wrong for gay people to be abused or killed or hurt because of their sexual orientation. Dumb in my opinion.

Now, If I had a kid and he or she turned out to be gay I would be disappointed, but I would have to accept that choice. I would still love him or her because that is what parents do, man. No other way around it.

I had the chance to cover the International Gay Games in Chicago a few years ago. Boy, was that an eye opener. I talked to the participants. There were young people and very old people at the week long event. And they said and did things I would not normally do. However, I respected those people. I mean, it take a lot of courage to be who you are no matter what people say or try to do.

But back to the topic. The Bible has been around thousands of years and no one has proven or will ever prove that God says sex had to homosexual or had to be homosexual. And God did create the Heaven and Earth according to the good book. So, I won't fall for those theories.

Now I do know that ancient Greek men practiced homesexuality. Why? There are various reasons I don't want to bore you or myself with.

Again, I digress... I think I have A.D.H.D. or something.

Being homosexual is a choice I don't care what is said.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think that it wrong for gay people to be abused or killed or hurt because of their sexual orientation. Dumb in my opinion.

Now, If I had a kid and he or she turned out to be gay I would be disappointed, but I would have to accept that choice. I would still love him or her because that is what parents do, man. No other way around it.

I had the chance to cover the International Gay Games in Chicago a few years ago. Boy, was that an eye opener. I talked to the participants. There were young people and very old people at the week long event. And they said and did things I would not normally do. However, I respected those people. I mean, it take a lot of courage to be who you are no matter what people say or try to do.

But back to the topic. The Bible has been around thousands of years and no one has proven or will ever prove that God says sex had to homosexual or had to be homosexual. And God did create the Heaven and Earth according to the good book. So, I won't fall for those theories.

Now I do know that ancient Greek men practiced homesexuality. Why? There are various reasons I don't want to bore you or myself with.

Again, I digress... I think I have A.D.H.D. or something.

Being homosexual is a choice I don't care what is said.

Boy you sure did a whole lot of double talk....lol

First you say that you need scientifc proof but when I say that science contradicts religion...then you say that you don't need proof if the bible says it. I would then be led to believe that if science proves (and most scientific organizations agree that basically it has been prove) that sexuality is not a choice, then you won't believe that either. But then I say well what if the bible says you have to be homesexual and you said no one can prove that a person has to be homo or hetero biblically....lol but you use the bible to say that a person should be straight. :confused:

However, i see that you did not answer my question so I guess I made my point and from this point on, I can't take you seriously. People have always said that you don't mean the things you say and that you just say things to get a rise out of people. I don't believe for one second that you believe that being gay is a choice....lol But then in the end, you say that you believe it is a choice PERIOD so having an intellectual convo on the topic with you is pointless. You can't have it both ways (no pun intended) and that is how your arguments here are going.

and as far as ancient greece...everyone knows that they along with most kings practiced homosexuality. ...and your diversions didn't work.

The bottomline is that there is no proof on why a person has a certain sexual orientation. There is no proof on why some women and men are ho's and others are the exact opposite. There is no proof on why you may like big tits and I may like big azzes. Some skinny dudes only like fat girls. There is not proof on why some women like anal sex. Why do some people like that lick toes, swallow orgasms, pee on each other? :confused:

If you are against gay marriage, I'd assume that you don't intend on marrying someone of the same gender as you...so why should it bother you in the first place? What does their preference have to do with your life?

Nothing whatsoever, but if you are going to ask the people to vote on it, this is what you get.

DAMN MR. SULU GOT MARRIED TOO

<script src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/js/2.0/video/evp/module.js?loc=dom&vid=/video/politics/2008/11/09/nr.prop.8.cnn" type="text/javascript"></script><noscript>Embedded video from <a href="http://www.cnn.com/video">CNN Video</a></noscript>

The bottomline is that there is no proof on why a person has a certain sexual orientation. There is no proof on why some women and men are ho's and others are the exact opposite. There is no proof on why you may like big tits and I may like big azzes. Some skinny dudes only like fat girls. There is not proof on why some women like anal sex. Why do some people like that lick toes, swallow orgasms, pee on each other? :confused:

1.If there is no proof why a person has a certain sexual orientation, then how can you say it is not choice for someone to be gay?

2. All those items you listed are choices no matter how you slice it or swallow it or anal it or whatever. It is a preference or in other words a choice. If you tell one of your boys who only like fat chicks, that hey, "I have this fine slim chick you should meet" and ya boy say "No, I only like fat chicks." Isn't that his choice not to holla at the slim girl?

Nothing whatsoever, but if you are going to ask the people to vote on it, this is what you get.

More like if the opposition ask people to vote on it, that's what's gonna happen. Gays and lesbians really underestimate the fearfulness and the taboo that this issue is the Black, Brown and Asian community. Also, 77% of the out of state funding for the Gay Marriage Ban in California came from the Mormons.
This allows Christians & everyone in California to become comfortable with Mormons, "We think like you, we oppose gay marriage too!"
They are not interested in religious conversion, they simply need blacks & others not, to freak out & regard them as a cult. You know the saying:
The enemy of my enemy is my friend. And that's all it took to get those hooked to follow. Which is probably the 20,000 people converging on the headquarters is happening. Hell, it's growing in number too. I can only imagine the Mormons trying to ask for civility from those who they helped to reverse their right.

I know I keep saying the same thing over and over when this type of thing comes up but it simply amazes me how people use this argument (...and no I don't give a dayum what ya'll got to say about me taking up for gay people). I don't know where I stand on this issue biblically becasue Leviticus does not apply to anything in our life in 2008. However, just to make a point about the above in bold, yes, you can abstain from heterosexual sex but you will still be straight. So just because a man/woman abstains from homosexual sex will not make them not gay. In other words, I don't think your reasoning is logical. Sexual orientation is not an act. I would assume that you were straight before you ever had sex.

Gay marriage? I really don't see the point. I am not up on the laws but if they can get civil unions or wills drawn up, I don't see the need to get married.

Because civil unions don't equal marriage by a long shot. Hell I though about a civil union cause I wasn't/ain't thinking about marriage. But after looking at what they are, they're about a close to marriage as a a car with lots of missing pieces, and I do mean A LOT.

Let me expound. When people marry, they tend to do so for reasons of love and commitment. But marriage is also a legal status, which comes with rights and responsibilities. Marriage establishes a legal kinship between you and your spouse. It is a relationship that is recognized across cultures, countries and religions.

What is a Civil Union? Civil Unions exist in only a handful of places: Vermont, New Jersey and Connecticut. California and Oregon have domestic partnership laws that offer many of the same rights as civil unions.

Vermont civil unions were created in 2000 to provide legal protections to gays and lesbians in relationships in that state because gay marriage is not an option. The protections do not extend beyond the border of Vermont and no federal protections are included with a Civil Union. Civil Unions offer some of the same rights and responsibilities as marriage, but only on a state level.

Domestic partnership? Some states and municipalities have domestic partnership registries, but no domestic partnership law is the same. Some, like the recently passed California domestic partnership law comes with many rights and responsibilities. Others, like the one in Washingtonoffer very few benefits to the couple.

the differences between Civil Unions and Gay Marriage?

Recognition in other states: Even though each state has its own laws around marriage, if someone is married in one state and moves to another, their marriage is legally recognized. For example, Oregon marriage law applies to people 17 and over. In Washington state, the couple must be 18 to wed. However, Washington will recognize the marriage of two 17 year olds from Oregon who move there. This is not the case with Civil Unions. If someone has a Civil Union in Vermont, that union is not recognized in any other state. As a matter of fact, two states, Connecticut and Georgia, have ruled that they do not have to recognize civil unions performed in Vermont, because their states have no such legal category. As gay marriages become legal in other states, this status may change.

Dissolving a Civil Union v. Divorce:

Vermont has no residency requirement for Civil Unions. That means two people from any other state or country can come there and have a civil union ceremony. If the couple breaks up and wishes to dissolve the union, one of them must be a resident of Vermont for one year before the Civil Union can be dissolved in family court. Married couples can divorce in any state they reside, no matter where they were married.

Immigration:

A United States citizen who is married can sponsor his or her non-American spouse for immigration into this country. Those with Civil Unions have no such privilege.

Taxes:

Civil Unions are not recognized by the federal government, so couples would not be able to file joint-tax returns or be eligible for tax breaks or protections the government affords to married couples.

Benefits:

The General Accounting Office in 1997 released a list of 1,049 benefits and protections available to heterosexual married couples. These benefits range from federal benefits, such as survivor benefits through Social Security, sick leave to care for ailing partner, tax breaks, veterans benefits and insurance breaks. They also include things like family discounts, obtaining family insurance through your employer, visiting your spouse in the hospital and making medical decisions if your partner is unable to. Civil Unions protect some of these rights, but not all of them.

But can’t a lawyer set all this up for gay and lesbian couples?

No. A lawyer can set up some things like durable power of attorney, wills and medical power of attorney. There are several problems with this, however.

1. It costs thousands of dollars in legal fees. A simple marriage license, which usually costs under $100 would cover all the same rights and benefits.

2. Any of these can be challenged in court. As a matter of fact, more wills are challenged than not. In the case of wills, legal spouses always have more legal power than any other family member.

3. Marriage laws are universal. If someone’s husband or wife is injured in an accident, all you need to do is show up and say you’re his or her spouse. You will not be questioned. If you show up at the hospital with your legal paperwork, the employees may not know what to do with you. If you simply say, "He's my husband," you will immediately be taken to your spouse's side.

Defense of Marriage Law?
Even with lesbian and gay marriages being performed and recognized in some states, the Federal Defense of Marriage Law prohibits the federal government from recognizing gay and lesbian relationships. This puts gay and lesbian couples who are married in a legal limbo. How do they file their tax returns? Do they have to pay the tax on their partner’s health insurance? How do they fill out legal and other forms, single or married?

Creating Civil Unions creates a separate and unequal status for some of America’s citizens. The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial court ruled that creating a separate class for gay and lesbian citizens is not permissible and that is why they have voted that only marriage equals marriage. The precedent was set with Brown v. The Board of Education regarding segregation in public education. Ironically, Massachusetts marriage law went into effect on the 50th anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education.

The United States Constitution guarantees equality for all. As you can see, marriage and civil unions are not the same. Creating equal access to marriage is the only fair way to ensure equality for gay and straight couples alike.

Last edited:
Justin that vote has Jack squat to do with fear. Stop making stuff up unless you have some foundation to base it off of please.

1.If there is no proof why a person has a certain sexual orientation, then how can you say it is not choice for someone to be gay?

2. All those items you listed are choices no matter how you slice it or swallow it or anal it or whatever. It is a preference or in other words a choice. If you tell one of your boys who only like fat chicks, that hey, "I have this fine slim chick you should meet" and ya boy say "No, I only like fat chicks." Isn't that his choice not to holla at the slim girl?

1. Because all the proof and scientific proof that we do have says that it is not a choice. More proof: gay people say that they did not choose...why would ALL of them lie? :confused: Shouldn't they know if they chose or not? Some schitt is just common sense. Why do people kill themselves because they are gay? Can't they just choose to be straight and live a happy "normal" life? Common sense dude...just common sense. Like DaHill said, little children are obviously gay before they have a choice. I know this girl who was Tomboy ALL of her life. She had boyfriends, etc...but I was never convinced she really liked them. Now she has stopped faking the funk. I refuse to believe that she chose to be gay when she was 3. Common sense dude. ALL gay people say they knew they were different when they were little. That Catholic minister who was gay and became the bishop says the he knew when he was in middle school only because when looking in a porn magazine, the other guys seemed excited and he was like :confused: at what excited them. I am sure that there is an exception to every rule and maybe 1% of gays chose to be gay...who knows? But finding a gay person who says they chose to be gay will be like finding a needle in a haystack!? You don't watch TV?

2. And no, those items are NOT choices. You mean to tell me that you are attracted to every woman you see? You like what you like and you can't help it. Our hormones get aroused when we see or feel something that WE like. It subconcious. When you getting your grove on, it's certain things you like and certain things you don't like. Get real dude! Some people like getting beat until they bleed and to be choked unconcious while having sex. I don't care how much I try that schitt, I doubt I will like it whether i WANT to or not. I don't like pie. I WANT to like pie. The stuff looks good. Can you imagine being in the country with every pie imaginable...the smell is good and you really want some but it won't go down. I didn't choose not to like pie. According to YOU, everything in life is a choice except your skin color and your bloodtype. I am assuming that at some point you had a choice of your sexual orientation. I would like to know when it was that you were attracted to a man but decided against it. That is the ONLY way that you chose. But like I asked before, (if you are straight) can you become gay tomorrow if it was the morally right thing to do (ie if the bible was reprinted tomorrow with a corrected translation). I don't think that's a hard question but if you answered it, it would kill any argument that you have. lol I don't think anyone else on this thread would have a hard time answering that question but it is obvious to ALL of us what your answer is so stop trying to play devil's advocate when you yourself don't even believe it's a choice. :emlaugh: (and your fat chick, thin chick reference is out there too. Obviously somewhere along the way, this dude has learned what does it for him and skinny chicks just ain't it...he can't MAKE himself like skinny chicks when he PREFERS jiggly celulite azzes to hit from the back).

Justin that vote has Jack squat to do with fear. Stop making stuff up unless you have some foundation to base it off of please.
And you conclude this how?

The foundation is the following: if it wasn't about fear/worry/hate (take your pick), why was Prop 8 proposed? You can't run from the fear factor of those who think marriage is a right all their own and those so-called Focus on the Family Zealots who try to coerse people to behave and believe as they do. If fear wasn't a factor as it was, Prop 8 wouldn't have been conceived in the first place.

Futhermore, if you had seen the ads in support of prop 8, the blatant ground game in to garner support of prop 8 , the covert outreach in the AA, Asian and Latino Communities and the unequivocal statement of who the bill was directed at and against, as I've both seen and heard and after the fact, you'd be fooling nobody but yourself, to say otherwise. It's a blantant scare tactic of protect what's supposedly sacred and a right that belong to only US, even if you don't practice such yourself. The ads were nothing shot of IN YOUR FACE.

End of story. False Evidence Appearing Real drove the support of the bill and it might be the thing that brings the issue back with more vigor.

Last edited:
And you conclude this how?

The foundation is the following: if it wasn't about fear/worry/hate (take your pick), why was Prop 8 proposed? You can't run from the fear factor of those who think marriage is a right all their own and those so-called Focus on the Family Zealots who try to coerse people to behave and believe as they do. If fear wasn't a factor as it was, Prop 8 wouldn't have been conceived in the first place.

Futhermore, if you had seen the ads in support of prop 8, the blatant ground game in to garner support of prop 8 , the covert outreach in the AA, Asian and Latino Communities and the unequivocal statement of who the bill was directed at and against, as I've both seen and heard and after the fact, you'd be fooling nobody but yourself, to say otherwise. It's a blantant scare tactic of protect what's supposedly sacred and a right that belong to only US, even if you don't practice such yourself. The ads were nothing shot of IN YOUR FACE.

End of story. False Evidence Appearing Real drove the support of the bill and it might be the thing that brings the issue back with more vigor.

I'm talking about the vote that the black community cast, not the proposition itself.

Hell for that matter you can say with certainty that it was fear that drove any community to vote the way they did (you're not a mind reader), all you can say with some bases is that the campaign may have been driven by fear by a sector of people that that have fears.

I'm talking about the vote that the black community cast, not the proposition itself.

Hell for that matter you can say with certainty that it was fear that drove any community to vote the way they did (you're not a mind reader), all you can say with some bases is that the campaign may have been driven by fear by a sector of people that that have fears.

I'm talking about both. The Prop 8 + the targets of the Black, Asian and Latino communities that voters that believe/recognize that particular taboo, pushed by the Mormons who framed the potential of what they felt will happen if it was allowed to happen, was the big grabber.

Those who voted for far outnumbered those who voted against. The outreach by the Mormons did it mainly, the method used to push the effort for the vote was fear. Fear of what would happened if gay marriage was to be allowed, as it was already allowed pre-Prop 8. You can't deny that a response of 70% of 7% isn't very telling. Plus, the fact that this passed after they were being married, is sending a message to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back