Prince Tour Get's a 4 Star Must See Rating from USATODAY

I have to disagree with some here... I really like the new CD.... But then again I like the stuff that some of you call "off-the-wall"... I dont think I would be such a fan if everything he did sounded the same, or he just stuck to one style... I think That's is why he has withstood tyme... Ever evolving....

The Atlanta show was the BOMB!!!!!!

I loved the acoustic set he did in the middle of the show.

The TIME! Morris Day and The Time performed for a good 40 minutes as an opening act. I know you remember some of those hits: 777-9311, Gigolos Get Lonely Too, The Bird, Jungle Love, etc. They were quite entertaining.

I'm feeling Musicology. It sounds like Prince to me and how diverse he is.

i saw him in biloxi last night and it was prince at his finest. i was on the 3rd row and didn't sit down the entire 2 + hours. hopefully, i can catch him again somewhere.

silentrage said:
The TIME! Morris Day and The Time performed for a good 40 minutes as an opening act. I heard about that...that had to be CRAZY!!!!! Why couldn't they have tuned up in B'ham first...daggggggg :lol:

I'm feeling Musicology. It sounds like Prince to me and how diverse he is.For real...it'd be boring if he did the same things/grooves over and over. That's why he's one of the BEST musicians/artist EVER. :tup:

FAB5 said:
I heard about that...that had to be CRAZY!!!!! Why couldn't they have tuned up in B'ham first...daggggggg

Taylor-Made'90 said:
He had Morris day and the Time with him??????
I know that was the BIZZZOM!!!

Yes! It truly was! My friends and I had heard that there was supposed to be a surprise during the show. On our way in one of the security guards told us Prince wasn't coming on until 9:00. We were wondering why. Well, lo' and behold it was because of The Time! They were worth it!

:)

I guess the left members of the group, "The Time" are living somewhere in GA. I've seen them twice in the past year, but I bet that just made the concert even better. I bet if felt like being in the actual movie "Purlpe Rain" ! I'm counting down to August 9th! :D

silentrage said:
Yes! It truly was! My friends and I had heard that there was supposed to be a surprise during the show. On our way in one of the security guards told us Prince wasn't coming on until 9:00. We were wondering why. Well, lo' and behold it was because of The Time! They were worth it!

:)

OK, you can stop rubbing it in now.

Prince hits with biggest project in years

Artist says success has always been there
Prince has a new album, "Musicology,'' and is currently on tour.
The Associated Press
Updated: 3:20 p.m. ET May 03, 2004

TAMPA, Fla. - Sitting in his purple-draped dressing room, sipping tea amid sweet-scented candles, Prince is as peaceful and serene as a superstar could be before showtime ? until you utter THAT ONE WORD:

Comeback.

Just mention the idea that his latest album, ?Musicology? ? coupled with a tour, TV specials and magazine covers ? has anything to do regaining the spotlight, and a slight frown falls over Prince?s chiseled, pretty face.

?I would ask people who want to call this a comeback, where they think I?m coming back from?? the 45-year-old star, neatly dressed in a taupe suit with matching heels, said during an interview backstage at the St. Pete Times Forum.

?They want to see me as having failed.?

By ?they,? he means critics, who point out it?s been more than a decade since the regal performer dominated the spotlight. His star burned brightest in the 1980s and early ?90s as he sold tens of millions of albums behind hits like ?Kiss,? ?Little Red Corvette,? and ?Purple Rain,? from his blockbuster 1984 movie debut.

Back then, Prince?s was part of the pop trifecta of superstars ? as popular as Michael Jackson or Madonna, yet still in a class of his own. He was considered a musical genius, dazzling audiences with his guitar, piano or feverishly dancing footsteps. He always wrote and produced all of his own songs, which ranged from pop to R&B to rock, and from romance to raunch.

Finish Story Here

040503_prince_vmed12p.vmedium.jpg

"A lesson to new act's that care more about making hit's than crafting musical gems ............"

"I really missed a lot of songwriting in music. There's not a lot of music. There's grooves, there's hook's. There just isn't any songs out there."

As far as the stuff he won't play, guess it's called "growing up". Take the advice he gave a guy on a ET clip the other night. The guy kept asking about why he won't do certain songs anymore. He gave the same reasons he has gave since the tour started. Homeboy asked one last time, Prince smiled and asked him "You got the CD don't ya homeboy. Listen to it all you want. I just can't play it anymore."

The crowd, including the guy that kept asking busted up laughing. :emlaugh:

How bout it was just announced here yesterday that Prince is coming back for a 3rd concert in the ATL! :eek: :eek: :bowdown: :bowdown: :jump: :jump:

Anonymous said:
I have to disagree with some here... I really like the new CD.... But then again I like the stuff that some of you call "off-the-wall"... I dont think I would be such a fan if everything he did sounded the same, or he just stuck to one style... I think That's is why he has withstood tyme... Ever evolving....

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm sure albums such as Dirty Mind and Sign of the Times were considered "off the wall" when they dropped as well. 80's music would've never evolved if it weren't for such experimentation.

One really can't appreciate Prince if one is stuck in a musical 'box'..... leave the Lil' John and the Eastside Boys and the rest of that garbage at the door when you enter P's realm. Musicology is cool in that it's a bit more radio-friendly (for what that's worth) :rolleyes: than the last couple albums, but it doesn't compare creatively to the jazz-funk fusion of The Rainbow Children, the musing piano work of One Nite Alone, or the explorative jazz of Xpectation. The bottom line is Prince performs well in several musical genres, and refuses to conform to the 'box' in which people attempt to place him. He's perpetually reinventing himself, which is why he's still on top of his game 26 years after his debut.

This tour is sweet validation for those of us who knew better all along.

Friday night's ATL concert had to be the greatest I've ever seen. Seeing him do the full length "Beautiful Ones" was worth the price of admission in itself!!!

The crowd was sooooo hype!!!
To see Morris Day and Time clown again.... :jump:
And of course the sound of the NPG..... :bowdown:

ms.sonic96 said:
How bout it was just announced here yesterday that Prince is coming back for a 3rd concert in the ATL! :eek: :eek: :bowdown: :bowdown: :jump: :jump:

Dammit Prince, you're taking all my ends!!!

cat daddy said:
I wish he would have performed Adore and Forever in my life. That would have been the icing on the cake for me!!!

LOL! He did those in Atlanta. Sorry. :D

Nice article on Prince in High School.

The quiet one: A high school classmate recalls the Artist as a young man
Jon Tevlin, Star Tribune
March 14, 2004

It was no "Purple Rain," but the movie Prince shot at Minneapolis Central High School had some of the artist's hallmark themes: He wrote, directed and starred. He played the self-conscious underdog. And, of course, he got the girl.

Schoolmate Robert Plant remembers the film class well. He was in a group with Prince and his best friend, Paul Mitchell. Prince conceived of a movie in which a small, shy kid tried to win the heart of a pretty cheerleader.

"He had a crush on a girl named Kim Upsher," said Plant. "So the movie was about him trying to get the girl. Paul Mitchell played the team quarterback -- which he was -- and every time Prince was with the cheerleader, Paul would come by and push him out of the way and walk away with the girl."

Cut to Prince in the library, reading a book on kung fu. In the final scene, "Prince pulls this kung fu move and walks away with the girl," Plant said.

To those of us who roamed Central High in south Minneapolis, he was the little guy with the big name and the Afro to match: Prince Rogers Nelson.

We just called him Prince.

Here's the rest of the article:
http://www.startribune.com/stories/919/4645444.html

I'm still buzzing off Friday's Atlanta show. Probably one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Ranks up there with the EWF concert I saw in the early 80's.

I guess those that don't like the the new CD ain't real funk fans. I'm sure James and George are proud of this album. (If you don't know James and George, don't ask. You'll sound ignant)
There's a couple of songs that have to grow on me, but DAMN!!!! It's been a long time since I heard a CD that I dug that many tracks.

Don't sleep, Prince is back.

JagsPride said:

I guess those that don't like the the new CD ain't real funk fans. I'm sure James and George are proud of this album. (If you don't know James and George, don't ask. You'll sound ignant)

Add Sly, Larry, and Bootsy to that list as well.

Man, Atomic Dog still kicks. Them boys could bring it in concert, too. The "Apple Cap" concert tour is another one of my all-time favorite concerts. It's definitely top three with EWF and Prince......................Wait a minute, I just thought about Stevie. I have to do some rethinking on this. But all four of them definitely make my top Five.

And as strange as this may seem: I saw Lady Di back in the early 80's during the time she was during that concert where she would walk out of the movie that they showed for her intro and back into it again at the end. She put on quite a show. She could hit the notes then and had a band that could jam with anybody. She was tough in her day.

Regards.

Back to the top!

Nothing compares to Prince in concert

By Devin Parrish
CNN Headline News

(CNN) -- When he changed his name, I stuck with him. When he changed it back, I rolled my eyes and waited for him to release his next album.

In a nutshell: I've persevered as a Prince fan through everything post-"Purple Rain." Sometimes, it's been difficult to do, but every time I see him in concert, I'm reminded of why I hang in there.

Prince and his band, the New Power Generation, performed last week at Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. It was my third time seeing him live.

Prince had been on his "Musicology" tour for a month by the time he played Philips, but it felt like his opening night.

For those familiar with some of his music, he played the hits: "Purple Rain," "I Would Die 4 U" and "Let's Go Crazy." For those of us who own every album -- even the ones from his "symbol" days -- he played the misses: "The One," "Shhh" and "The Question of U."

I screamed the loudest during his guitar solos, a reminder of the man's impeccable musicianship; it's almost always overlooked and overshadowed by his unconventional behavior offstage.

Here's the rest of the article:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/06/prince.concert/index.html

Here's a link to a very good article about Prince's Bass player, Rhonda Smith, in the latest issue of Bass Player Magazine. It gives excellent insight about the NPG's music-making process and bassist technique.

http://www.bassplayer.com/archive/0604/0604_Features1.htm
cover.jpg

...... What are the basic requirements of the Prince gig?
First, to be solid and tight with the drummer; any gig requires that, but especially Prince?s. You need to be respectful of the music and aware of the musical surroundings?leave room for others to have their say and leave room for silence. We?re playing great songs and that?s what the fans want to hear. They know all the parts, and the sum of those parts adds up to the whole. I always appreciate it when I have a solo or little feature spot, but as someone who loves low end and the instrument?s foundation role, I have no problem holding it down while everyone else flies around me. I enjoy that.

How much freedom does Prince give you to interpret or embellish his bass lines?
Prince hears everything; if he?s dissatisfied with my part or wants it to change, he?ll let me know. But in general, he leaves it up to me, and if he doesn?t have a problem with what I?m playing he?s not going to say anything. I think he has faith in his musicians?he trusts us and our instincts. I definitely have the freedom to interpret and experiment, but it?s about respecting the parts. If you?re playing ?I Wanna Be Your Lover? or ?Little Red Corvette,? how much liberty should you take? How much can you overplay on ?Purple Rain?? When he comes up with new arrangements of his hits, he usually has an idea for the bass line and I take it from there.

How has Prince influenced your bass playing?
I don?t think I could have had a better teacher. Canada was light on R&B and funk in the clubs and on the radio. From the outset he schooled me on a lot of music?guys like Larry Graham, James Jamerson, Willie Weeks, and Chuck Rainey. Plus, he?s a phenomenal bassist?he plays from the heart. If he wants you to reproduce a feel, he comes over and plays it for you, so you need to be able do it on the spot, which is not easy! It?s not something you can cop immediately, but by watching him over the years and being in such a funky environment, I?ve been able to assimilate some of his style. As a result, I think I play less and with more taste now, and I?m much more confident. ......

Another one!

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/May-28-Fri-2004/weekly/23963434.html

Prince Charming

The singer breaks his media silence to talk, playfully, about his career, talent-free musicians and religion

By DOUG ELFMAN
REVIEW-JOURNAL
Friday, May 28, 2004

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- It's four hours before showtime in the Anaheim Pond, so Prince and his band of seven go onstage to fine-tune songs during a sound check. Prince calls the shots, both big ("we're adding a new section") and small ("it sounds too bright to me"). His choices make each song less muddy and richer in tone.

His playfulness peeks out only when his trombonist gets carried away and dances into the spotlight. Prince stops the music and does a funky impression. "The man was dancin'!" The band laughs. Then, it's back to business.

This tour is ready for the mainstream. It's a greatest-hits show that runs heavy on the 1980s featuring "When Doves Cry," "Purple Rain," "Kiss" and "Little Red Corvette." Everyone who buys a ticket receives a copy of his new album, "Musicology."

Two shows go to Las Vegas this weekend. Saturday's concert is part of the SBC-presented "Tiger Jam VII" -- golfer Tiger Woods' annual concert to raise money for children's charities.

But at this moment, Prince steps off the stage during rehearsal and boards a golf cart. He drives his interviewer to his dressing room. It is softly lit, the aroma is anonymously pretty, and it is warm and moist, the better to soothe his throat.

The interview is one of only a handful he has given to writers and TV hosts for this tour.

"If you don't do that, then you're considered off the radar," he says. "Their radar."

By "their" radar, he means he has sold millions of albums and thousands of concert tickets in the past 10 years, thanks largely to his online music club. (He stopped slaving away for record companies years ago.) But his success has been scantly reported. ......

HBCUs said:
...... What are the basic requirements of the Prince gig?
First, to be solid and tight with the drummer; any gig requires that, but especially Prince?s. You need to be respectful of the music and aware of the musical surroundings?leave room for others to have their say and leave room for silence. We?re playing great songs and that?s what the fans want to hear. They know all the parts, and the sum of those parts adds up to the whole. I always appreciate it when I have a solo or little feature spot, but as someone who loves low end and the instrument?s foundation role, I have no problem holding it down while everyone else flies around me. I enjoy that.

. ......

Exactly. This my philosphy when playing also. She sounds like a bassist after my own heart.

Regards.

Back