One of the Greatest Bayou Classic upsets ever

The perfect gift... Jaguars upset Tigers
Southern shuts down I-AA passing leader

by Nik Bannister
December 06, 2002

NEW ORLEANS ? The Jaguar Nation received THE PERFECT GIFT when their Southern University Jaguars football team (6-6 overall, 5-2 Southwestern Athletic Conference) defeated the Grambling State University Tigers (10-2 overall, 6-1 SWAC) in a lopsided 48-24 victory Saturday at the 2002 State Farm Bayou Classic XXIX.

SOUTHERN received THE PERFECT GIFT when it scored its most points against a team this season.

THE PERFECT GIFT was Southern being the only football team in the SWAC to defeat the 2002 SWAC Western Division Champions.

99 was omfg. 00 very very great game. 03 and 2014 were them games where both teams were good which is always a great game. Upset wise ill say 2002. Records did not match and gsu was a beast that year...best schedule in a long time. But almost lost to Langston that year.

I would have to go with 1979 as well with Southern winning. Grambling was riding on a 9 game series winning streak and dominated the conference most of the 70's. Southern pulled the stunning upset of the defending champions, during their golden era handing them their only conference loss.

Southern U. also lambasted Grambling in 1981 handing them their only conference loss as well.

Last edited:
I would have to go with 1979 as well with Southern winning. Grambling was riding on a 9 game BC winning streak and dominated the conference most of the 70's. Southern pulled the stunning upset of the defending champions, during their golden era handing them their only conference loss.

Southern U. also lambasted Grambling in 1981 handing them their only conference loss as well.

Not to put too fine a point to it, but that couldn't be because Pete set the record with eight consecutive BC wins, and the BC started in 74.

Not to put too fine a point to it, but that couldn't be because Pete set the record with eight consecutive BC wins, and the BC started in 74.

Yes, I stand corrected.........It wasn't the BC winning streak but rather the series winning streak.

All these old memories means they already know they will lose....kinda like a chick who is fat but was once fine in college going back to homecoming. Such a sad situation.

99 Was Horrible
2003 was not an upset. We both were Good that year.

Dude nobody said anything about 03 being an upset.

02 we started off 1-5, hadn't beaten anybody over .500 and never had a real shot.

We'll handle our own history thank you very much.

Dude nobody said anything about 03 being an upset.

02 we started off 1-5, hadn't beaten anybody over .500 and never had a real shot.

We'll handle our own history thank you very much.

All you have is that part of history because right now....Fobbs has big worm's number...2-1

Back