Notorius...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to argue for P some. People dont want to give him credit but he had the best record deal ever known to hip hop. He branded himself, produced a gold album every month for a few years and made himself forever relevant. While, he may not get attention on the music game anymore. he is an icon. Remember, he was called before congress to testify before congress..

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Not trying to debate you, but BIG brought attention back to the east coast and basically dictated the way Hip Hop would go for the next 10 year. Jay-Z basically used BIg as a springboard for his career. And Pac brought so much art to the artform, using a lot of consonace, alliteration and assonance and other poetry techniques. With just high school English classes under your belt, you should have still been able to tell that he was classically trained and many of his 'songs' were actually poems that were set to music

Jay Z was around before BIG.

About close to 30.

But I know you are not from me and SOG's generation. LOL.

The things are naming dont constitute a generational gap. I easily remember when cube first came out, Salt and Pepa (Push It)...the first rap tape I had was a mix tape with Real Roxanne. I had every NWA, 2Live Crew, DJ Quick song memorized.... same thing with Rob Base. I had older brothers and sisters (my brothers and sisters range from 50-43)...so music was constantly in my house. Im 31. We use to put our stereos up to Yo MTV Raps and the Original Rap City with The mayor and record vides onto cassette tapes. One of my favorites from back then was Special Ed...he could easily still be a rapper in todays generation.

Jay Z was around before BIG.

He was, but Jay didn't blow up until about '96 when he dropped Reasonable Doubt, and even that album was slept on. Yeah, Jay had been rapping since '88 with Jaz-O, but he was still in the drug game then. He came back with an album in 1992 that most yall may not even know about. Big gave him a verse and a half on "Brooklyn's Finest", and Jay-Z was hanging with him then he held his own on Biggie's "I Love the Dough"....that's when people started taking Hova seriously.

He was, but Jay didn't blow up until about '96 when he dropped Reasonable Doubt, and even that album was slept on. Yeah, Jay had been rapping since '88 with Jaz-O, but he was still in the drug game then. He came back with an album in 1992 that most yall may not even know about. Big gave him a verse and a half on "Brooklyn's Finest", and Jay-Z was hanging with him then he held his own on Biggie's "I Love the Dough"....that's when people started taking Hova seriously.

Real talk. I had to let a few people see my Reasonable Doubt just to get them to listen to it. Let's just say I purchased that badboy a few more times.
I bought it while purchasing 'It was Written'. I listen to it and was sold..From that point on I was pumping Jay to everyone that I knew...

The things are naming dont constitute a generational gap. I easily remember when cube first came out, Salt and Pepa (Push It)...the first rap tape I had was a mix tape with Real Roxanne. I had every NWA, 2Live Crew, DJ Quick song memorized.... same thing with Rob Base. I had older brothers and sisters (my brothers and sisters range from 50-43)...so music was constantly in my house. Im 31. We use to put our stereos up to Yo MTV Raps and the Original Rap City with The mayor and record vides onto cassette tapes. One of my favorites from back then was Special Ed...he could easily still be a rapper in todays generation.

I still bump that DJ Quick

Real talk. I had to let a few people see my Reasonable Doubt just to get them to listen to it. Let's just say I purchased that badboy a few more times.
I bought it while purchasing 'It was Written'. I listen to it and was sold..From that point on I was pumping Jay to everyone that I knew...

I slept on Reasonable Doubt till I listened to it. INSTANT CLASSIC. Brooklyns Finest...that's my favorite cut on there. When I heard that shot he took at Faith I was like :eek: :confused: :retard:

Again you are talking different eras. When those cats came out back in the 80s they had the same effect on the crowd. I remember being stationed in CT at the Sub Base and us young black officers rolled off base over to CT College to a party and all them kids white and black knew the Lyrics to EPMD, KRS-One and others that were hot in the 88 time frame.

In 15 years those same cats yall love will not get the same love from that generation. There may be a few Biggie or Pac songs they will like....but it will have every kid at 2024 year party moving and knowing the words like a late 90s party did or even now?........ No it will not. Kids gone be what is that isht playing. Or why are they playing that old arse isht. LOL.

You watch when you turn 40-45 how some cats who are your age now are going say Biggie and Pac, or Jay Z can't hold some new mofos jockstrap and you will be looking like >>>:retard:

If you throw a party with folks my age and drop some old 80s hip hop we gone be lipping the words and rocking the house....because that's our isht. We still gone rock the house when Salt n Pepa Push it comes on or even somebody like a Rob Base comes on. But your generation may think it is whack as hell. Look at how Ice Cube is not considered great anymore.......but hell he was the man when he first came out in NWA and then went Solo. But now folks look at him like you just an actor and stick with that. Thats because the young folks didn't experience Ice Cube when he first came out. You were too young to really embrace him as a great MC. Hell even Hammer rocked the club back n the late 80s early 90s. :lol:

True!!

I can tell most of the people who posted on this thread didn't see the movie because no one has really made mention about the girl who played Lil' Kim. Oner of the former members of 3LW.

Same here. Nas and Jay dropped the same day that year. I remember how exciting that Tuesday was for me. LOL. That's when everybody in Jackson was a "No Limit Soldier", though. Even the dude at Camelot was looking at me crazy. I think nobody had even touched the Nas and Jay-Z shelves.

Same here. Nas and Jay dropped the same day that year. I remember how exciting that Tuesday was for me. LOL. That's when everybody in Jackson was a "No Limit Soldier", though. Even the dude at Camelot was looking at me crazy. I think nobody had even touched the Nas and Jay-Z shelves.

Man I was in Camelot like this:what::what::eek::eek: when that skit came on... I declared it better than It was Written then. The shelves at Camelot were full of both Cd's. My lil bro was into Master P but I put him on and he aint been the same since..

Last edited:
:clap:I saw "Notorious Big" in Century City, CA. I picked that location because it's in a well-to-do area in Los Angeles. Didn't want to get caught in any potential cross fire. A lot of people are still emotional over what happened between Tupac, Biggie and Shuge Knight (sp). I was surprised at the melting pot of patrons. Every race and nationality under the sun. It was packed. The movie was incredible. I was mesmerized. It started out with Biggie as a little boy and his real life son portrayed him at one point in the film. It quickly moved to his teen days and his bouts with crime, prison, dope dealing and then a small stint in jail. After almost going down the river he made his decision to follow his dream. Subsequently meets Puffy and the rest is history. The directing, photography and music were on point. Our lady Bassett was great as usual. However, she wasn't consistent with her Jamaican accent but her peformance more than compensated for this shortcoming. There is nudity, profanity and violence. They keep it real. It is gangsta. I am always drawn to stories that deal with people trying to realize their dreams and this one was very inspiring and needless to say sad at the end. It's worth seeing and fyi I saw it twice. I hear Lil Kim is ticked off that they didn't consult with her. I can understand this. She is portrayed throughout the movie and the actress who plays her is off the chain. Also has the implants and tight little body. The actor who plays Biggie is so lovable and has mad charisma. I found myself digging him. LOL. You know there's three sides to every story, Biggie's, Tupacs and the absolute truth. Yes, they did get into east coast west coast rivalry the Tupac/Faith Evans thing, etc. Will we ever know the truth. Again, a must see. For the record this is only my opinion and everyone has one like everyone has something else and they all stink. I hope you don't think my review stinks. LOL.:clap:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back