Notorius...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Dang phrat...you put Rakim UNDER all them. WOW! :confused:

But thats your choice.

I listen to a lot of rap. If you anywhere in my Top 5 you are da isht!. I didn't really get into Rakim until I was in high school, around '96 and '97- just to get to know my hip-hop a little better. Eric B For President and Paid in Full are classics. He also dropped The 18th Letter around that time and that was the bomb, too, but it was slept on by most. I hate things didn't work out between him and Dr. Dre.

I can't believe I grew up almost entirely on hip-hop...WOW!

My rapper list...

1. Rakim—influenced EVERYBODY, including contemporaries
2. KRS-One—educated, told stories, influenced cats
3. Nas—used the Rakim/KRS template and expanded on it
4. Scarface—great storyteller, drew vivid images
5. Chuck D—probably the best rap voice
6. Pac—so many sides to him, but through it all showed vulnerability
7. Biggie—charisma off the chain...he was THAT dude
8. Jay-Z—filled the void after Pac/Biggie deaths
9. Andre 3000—Andre's "Badu Flu" era docked him a few places, but right now, THE BEST RAPPER OUT THERE (when he chooses to rap).
10. MC Lyte–IMO, the best female rapper ever
11. Ghostface Killah—The best rapper out of the Wu

My group/duo list
1. Outkast—Never really went commercial, commerical went Outkast. Each album was different, but yet so Dre-n-Big
2. Run DMC—They're the ones that started it all
3. NWA—Dr. Dre's production, Cube's Lyrics, Easy's swagger
4. Public Enemy—scared the establishment full time
5. A Tribe Called Quest—Probably be no Kanye West, Neptunes, Lupe Fiasco and a bunch of other cats if it weren't for Tribe's influence
6. Wu Tang Clan—Nine of the Ninjas, all could rap: Brought New York rap scene back to the forefront BEFORE Biggie blew up
7. Salt-n-Pepa (before What a Man)—they put it down and could rhyme
8. EPMD—Erick Sermon's production was on par with Dre and the Bomb Squad
9. Eightball & MJG: "Armed Robbery" was probably the earliest crunk song, helped pave the way for UGK, Outkast and the rest of the Southern rap scene
10. Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five—They set the stage of conscience rap (The Message, New York, White Lines), while holding it down in the parties

My rapper list...

9. Andre 3000—Andre's "Badu Flu" era docked him a few places, but right now, THE BEST RAPPER OUT THERE (when he chooses to rap).

My group/duo list
1. Outkast—Never really went commercial, commerical went Outkast. Each album was different, but yet so Dre-n-Big
5. A Tribe Called Quest—Probably be no Kanye West, Neptunes, Lupe Fiasco and a bunch of other cats if it weren't for Tribe's influence
6. Wu Tang Clan—Nine of the Ninjas, all could rap: Brought New York rap scene back to the forefront BEFORE Biggie blew up
9. Eightball & MJG: "Armed Robbery" was probably the earliest crunk song, helped pave the way for UGK, Outkast and the rest of the Southern rap scene
10. Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five—They set the stage of conscience rap (The Message, New York, White Lines), while holding it down in the parties

:)

My rapper list...

My group/duo list

Love Tribe.... Hate Q-Tip the solo artist!:shame: Kind of tarnishes my view of Tribe

My group/duo list

Nice list. I'd have to stick The Roots, Fugees and Digable Plants in there somewhere. Id' put EPMD up there around 2 or 3.

Nice list. I'd have to stick The Roots, Fugees and Digable Plants in there somewhere. Id' put EPMD up there around 2 or 3.

I love The Roots, but they're not as greatly appreciated as they should be. Digable Planets, nor the Fugees, stuck around long enough as a group to do something.

Now don't get me wrong, Blowout Comb and the Score were great albums. However, they couldn't take that next step as a group after that.

Ghostface is my favorite rapper out the Wu...ever since he dropped that "All That I've Got Is You" song to his mama. IMO, that song's the best hip-hop "mama" song.

Now, Redman's one of my favorite rappers, period. I wish him and Meth followed up "Blackout" which was a classic.

Better than Pac's "Dear Mama" song?

IMO, yes Beans..for one reason..

I was all watery-eyed when I heard All That I've Got Is You the first couple of times....(Guess it hit home with how my life was going when the song was out)

I just bobbed my head to Dear Mama

Now don't get me wrong, Dear Mama is a classic itself. But Ghost "out-Pac'ed" Pac on that with how emotional the song is...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dxmjd8uaCIA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dxmjd8uaCIA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

I was all watery-eyed when I heard All That I've Got Is You the first couple of times....(Guess it hit home with how my life was going when the song was out)

Now don't get me wrong, Dear Mama is a classic itself. But Ghost "out-Pac'ed" Pac on that with how emotional the song is...

:tup:

Agreed.

I have all of ghost face albums and I love them all. Not everyone can get with Ghostface aka Toney Stark.

methond Man was decent coming out but he went commercial and fell off. Him and redman went wrong with the right guard thing.

Redman is top 20 Solo artist in my opinion.

The Score was something else. I can rap that entire CD.
That and The Goodie Mo Be fisrt album. Ce Lo green.

Cool Breeze , the witch doctor and Jim Crow didn't do much alfter their first albums but they held in down for the SWAT...

Agreed.

I have all of ghost face albums and I love them all. Not everyone can get with Ghostface aka Toney Stark.

methond Man was decent coming out but he went commercial and fell off. Him and redman went wrong with the right guard thing.

Redman is top 20 Solo artist in my opinion.

The Score was something else. I can rap that entire CD.
That and The Goodie Mo Be fisrt album. Ce Lo green.

Cool Breeze , the witch doctor and Jim Crow didn't do much alfter their first albums but they held in down for the SWAT...

Shaw, I remember being in Orlando at a conference in 2000 and Red'n'Meth had a show at the House of Blues in Downtown Disney...we were pissed that the show sold out before we sent someone to cop tickets...That's when Blackout was out and they were at their hottest...

Too bad they went commercial. Did you cop Red Gone Wild? That isht was straight. Redman can get with anyone in the game. All he need is a couple of cameos on some mixtapes and he'll be the hottest in the game again...

The Score was like nothing you heard before it. The Fugees broke ground on it, but too bad things had to go the way they did. You know they still owe Columbia one more album?

Goodie Mo "Dirty South"..the song and album that gave a region its name..lol. I loved that CD in undergrad. Track 13 was the club banger, especially with CeeLo's last verse. But you could roll that CD all day...From start to finish. Dungeon Family was putting out fire in that stretch from 'Kast, to GoodieMo to Cool Breeze. That collab CD they all did was highly slept on.

Man 1995 through like 98-2000 was the last good time for rap....So much good hip-hop from different places was coming through then.

I can't lie that song is one of the best. Dear mama and this goes neck to neck for me. I can personally identify with both songs.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dxmjd8uaCIA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dxmjd8uaCIA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shaw, I remember being in Orlando at a conference in 2000 and Red'n'Meth had a show at the House of Blues in Downtown Disney...we were pissed that the show sold out before we sent someone to cop tickets...That's when Blackout was out and they were at their hottest...

Too bad they went commercial. Did you cop Red Gone Wild? That isht was straight. Redman can get with anyone in the game. All he need is a couple of cameos on some mixtapes and he'll be the hottest in the game again...

The Score was like nothing you heard before it. The Fugees broke ground on it, but too bad things had to go the way they did. You know they still owe Columbia one more album?

Goodie Mo "Dirty South"..the song and album that gave a region its name..lol. I loved that CD in undergrad. Track 13 was the club banger, especially with CeeLo's last verse. But you could roll that CD all day...From start to finish. Dungeon Family was putting out fire in that stretch from 'Kast, to GoodieMo to Cool Breeze. That collab CD they all did was highly slept on.

Man 1995 through like 98-2000 was the last good time for rap....So much good hip-hop from different places was coming through then.

Yeah I put it at 94-2000. Man I had everthing that came out during that time. Got to download everything to the IPOD and just let it rip...

Yeah I put it at 94-2000. Man I had everthing that came out during that time. Got to download everything to the IPOD and just let it rip...

For one solid year this was what I listened to..

All Eyez On Me—Dirty South—Ridin Dirty—ATLiens—Reasonable Doubt—Illadelph Halflife

Like the late 80's through early 90s was the first Golden Age of rap for me...

then came 94/95-2000 when you had heat from the East, West and the South coming through...

man...Hip-Hop used to be so beautiful.. at a time where the limits are virtually non-existant sonically the game's at an all-time low lyrically.

but CeeDogg and Beans, I love both Ghost's and Pac's mama songs.

If we are talking about the kind of rappers and groups you guys are referring to, we should add Outkast then. If not for Andre and Big Boy, the Southern rap game would still be trying to come up. Those guys changed the game for the South, but they arestill not Pac and Biggie.

Negro please, Master P and No Limit had a way bigger influence on Southern Rap than Outkast. P was one of the first cats from the street to hit it big in the rap game. I'm not just talking about making music, but this cat owned everything. Nobody is giving this dude no props. I like Outkast, but for every Outkast hit, I can name about three from No Limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back