New lineup for Unsung 2012

Man between 13-15 you start listing to your own music and not so much what your parents listen too.. Jodeci,Silk,Shai,Guy was the panty dropper music...Along with that Keith Sweat...LOL

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I could not then (and even now) for the life of me understand what people liked about Silk and Jodeci. Two of the most OVERrated groups in music history.

:smh:

I agree Ken. But me and you kind of think alike on that. Silk had that one lead guy who could sing and that was it. Jodeci was overrated in the sense that they did the same ole isht. KC would have been better being solo from the jump. The New Jack Swing era changed music. Some for the better but a lot for the worse. I say that and I was a big Teddy Riley fan and did enjoy some of what that MCA/Uptown crew did back then.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why Freddie Jackson was on Unsung. He's had a fairly successful career. Other than not explaining why he wears tons of Pancake 31 and eye shadow, he hasn't had much scandal in his life. Glad to see he's still doing his thing. I enjoyed his earlier hits.

I think because his biggest hits came all at once and then he faded out. He was big in R and B from 85-90 time frame. Wasn't like he endured a couple of decades with hits like Luther. He was kind of the poor man Luther for that time. Some guy in this Unsung even mentioned it seemed like Freddy had a long career because he had a lot of hits within a short period of time. I look at Freddy as having a good run. Not a one hit wonder but not a long career at the top. He suffered in the 90s when music changed. Only a few solo male R and B cats had commercial success in the 90s that came from the 70s and 80s era.

What did you all think about Full Force? When it was there time to shine, they did (their work with UTFO & Lisa Lisa as well as my favorite album of theirs, "Guess who's coming to the Crib").

Full Force was DOPE!!! They helped define a particular sound of hip hop in the late 80s/early 90s. I have all of their albums back at home.

Ready For The World on steroids

Millie Jackson, reminds me so much of my grandmother. Even though she don't talk as much s__t, I love a head strong woman who says what's on her mind and is so intelligent that you can't get over on her....LOL when she raised her leg high talking about she can still get it up....

Oh yeah, how can I forget...Her F--You song (smh)...So long before Cee-Lo, she put out her own song with a symphony...LOL...

Last edited:
Millie Jackson, reminds me so much of my grandmother. Even though she don't talk as much s__t, I love a head strong woman who says what's on her mind and is so intelligent that you can't get over on her....LOL when she raised her leg high talking about she can still get it up....

Oh yeah, how can I forget...Her F--You song (smh)...So long before Cee-Lo, she put out her own song with a symphony...LOL...

That was funny.

She's a strong-minded woman. I can see why she hasn't re-married.

72720.jpg

Yep.

Last edited:
Other than that wack song Ghostbusters, Ray Parker was a bad cat on his instrument.

This was classic. Reminds me of my Sta Soft Fro days....
[video=youtube_share;B9jmYjgVSO0]http://youtu.be/B9jmYjgVSO0[/video]

Other than that wack song Ghostbusters, Ray Parker was a bad cat on his instrument.

This was the first song I knew of from Ray Parker Jr

[video=youtube;tUpqRrKh2CE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUpqRrKh2CE[/video]

LOL @ Ghostbusters being whack. I am sure they wanted it sorta corny seeing what kind of movie it was. But you are right. Ray is a bad dude. I have always been a fan since the Raydio days. Dude is a helluva song writer. I didn't know he got messed over for the Leo Sayer song "You make me feel like dancing" Ray is still living good. Dude say he had 60% of his earnings still. Must be a good money manager. Crib looks sweet in Cali. Certainly wasn't a tragic story/ending. His homeboys from Detroit were super soul brothers. The one cat had me lol with the hat and how he was dressed.

Overall good story about Ray. I also didn't realize he wrote a couple of the Rufus and Chaka Khan cuts and the Cheryl Lynn cut To be Real.

LOL @ Ghostbusters being whack. I am sure they wanted it sorta corny seeing what kind of movie it was. But you are right. Ray is a bad dude. I have always been a fan since the Raydio days. Dude is a helluva song writer. I didn't know he got messed over for the Leo Sayer song "You make me feel like dancing" Ray is still living good. Dude say he had 60% of his earnings still. Must be a good money manager. Crib looks sweet in Cali. Certainly wasn't a tragic story/ending. His homeboys from Detroit were super soul brothers. The one cat had me lol with the hat and how he was dressed.

Overall good story about Ray. I also didn't realize he wrote a couple of the Rufus and Chaka Khan cuts and the Cheryl Lynn cut To be Real.
That is what me and my wife was talking about. I said, with alot of these musicians, the drugs and women always take them down. But with Ray, it never said he did any drugs and he wasnt committed too long for the women to sink their claws in him, so he basically stayed ahead of the game. And it didnt hurt that he understood the game and knew he needed to learn to save, because after his parents pasted he knew music wouldnt always be there for him.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: David Ruffin - Unsung

Another promising entertainer taken down by crack cocaine. Cocaine is a terrible drug!!!

I watched the episode, it was good.

David was an out-of-control asshole that could sing.

After all the drama with the way he was killed off in "The Temptations" (dropped off outside of a hospital from a fast moving car and then dying)...and the way his family was screaming Holy Murder with the way Otis portrayed David in the movie I was really shocked by the interviews his children gave last night. I mean...the way he was portrayed in the movie and the way he was portrayed on "UnSung" seem to be the same. :noidea:

Seemed he beat every woman he was with and destroyed his own career.

But...I did find it interesting how one of the guys giving an interview basically said Motown treated him like a kid that got in trouble and put him in the corner for punishment when he tried to do his solo career. Basically...you fugg Motown...Motown fuggs you back. Which we've all heard the stories and knew to be true...but each time I see it, I'm still like, "wow". :smh:

Great episode. The interviews with his kids were really telling. I've liked the ones this season so far.

Most of all the men I grew up around
Seemed to me to be david ruffin type dudes
And no matter how cruel they treated the women, they remained loyal
to those dudes
and most could sing to

In fact I saw a dude beat a woman to blood, and when the cops
Came she begged them not to arrest him

I felt sorry for the women, but I learned quick, don’t get involved
Cause she’ll be back with that dude tomorrow

“Beat to Blood” yeah I know a kid who grew up like that
I promised myself as a lil boy I would try my best
To be what I call an anti- david ruffin type dude.

dude could sing tho.

<object style="height: 290px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NjHpYZqjlD0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NjHpYZqjlD0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="260"></object>

Last edited:

It's sad, they're only emulating what they saw growing up.

yeah, but just cause you saw it growing up
you don't have to live your adult life like that.

Back