New lineup for Unsung 2012

Re: David Ruffin - Unsung

I watched that one. I agree that it was pretty good. I was kinda shocked at how her mom and sister aged so bad. I know they say black don't crack, but I thought Latinas held up a little better than that. :(

The best one to me was Millie Jackson. She is hilarious.

Sheila's Mom is black. Straight from New Orleans. So they are mixed with Black and Latina. And the Mom doesn't look bad in person. I think I may have posted my pics with the family before.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

What other son? I thought he only had one. Ruffin Jr.

the light-skinned son that talked the most and there was another brown-skinned guy that kept getting interviewed.

He sang some of David's song....nice voice. I thought he was a son....

I thought they said Sheila was Creo (sp)?

Sheila's Mom is from La. So she is like the sisters I went to SU with that have that in their blood. LOL. Obviously her Dad is from Mexico. Sheila's Mom moved to Oakland like a bunch of folks from La did back in the day with their families and met Pete Escovedo who was living in Oakland at the time and they got married and had them kids. So they are Black/Creole and Mexican. I got that straight from the Pete and the Mom. As a matter of fact, the Mom reminds me so much of SU's former band director Dr Gregg's wife who is actually lighter than Sheila's Mom.

Sheila's Mom is from La. So she is like the sisters I went to SU with that have that in their blood. LOL. Obviously her Dad is from Mexico. Sheila's Mom moved to Oakland like a bunch of folks from La did back in the day with their families and met Pete Escovedo who was living in Oakland at the time and they got married and had them kids. So they are Black/Creole and Mexican. I got that straight from the Pete and the Mom. As a matter of fact, the Mom reminds me so much of SU's former band director Dr Gregg's wife who is actually lighter than Sheila's Mom.

Meh.

My own mother is one of those yella gals from Southern University. That's nearly every woman in my family.

Sheila's mom and sister still looked rough to me which led me to believe Sheila has had some work done. Or has a real good makeup artist.

Last edited:

Shelia E wants to get married and have kids. And she's a spiritual woman with her "OWN" money, so Cee, J83, somebody needs to step up to the plate.

the light-skinned son that talked the most and there was another brown-skinned guy that kept getting interviewed.

He sang some of David's song....nice voice. I thought he was a son....

That was his nephew woman. :lol:

Meh.

My own mother is one of those yella gals from Southern University. That's nearly every woman in my family.

Sheila's mom and sister still looked rough to me which led me to believe Sheila has had some work done. Or has a real good makeup artist.

Trust me on this Jag. She aint had no work done. My folks know these people well out there in Cali. If anything Sheila's mother just looks old. It happens. Not every black woman from the boot that is creole has aged well. Plus Sheila has more than her mother's genes running through her body. Her brothers look younger than they really are. The Escovedo's are old. They have been married over 50 something years. LOL. Aint like they are some spring chickens. Hell Sheila is over 50.

Shelia E wants to get married and have kids. And she's a spiritual woman with her "OWN" money, so Cee, J83, somebody needs to step up to the plate.

She aint having no kids unless she adopts.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

I am jealous JR you all up on my woman like that. :lol: Shelia and I are both percussionist. I have always wanted to beat her bongos and let her play my drum set. :lol:

LOL. Man I have always been a closet drummer. Meaning wanting to play it. Even though I took the trumpet path. Sheila and her entire family are cool as heck. Pete E is funny and was cracking all kinds of jokes that night. I got family who grew up in the Bay area and one of my cousin-n-laws is an Escovedo. They like their black women. LOL.

For the most part, this was a good season from beginning to end. They closed it out on a good note with Whodini. Man, I had so many good childhood memories when I heard songs like Magic's Wand, Friends, & One Love. Even though they didn't play it, I remember a song that used to really inspire me called "Growing up!." Again, when it was their time they shined. You gotta love their attitude, especially when Jalil said something to the effect "I may not be rich, but God will give me my reward."

Last edited:
classic...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/htQsY_lkQeQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Back