NCAT FBS Bound?

“I’m not going to say it won’t happen someday,” Hilton said. “There’s nothing formally in place to discuss it right now. There’s no timeline. But it’s an exercise to talk about what transformative would look like in A&T athletics.

“It’s an exercise for all of us. Let’s force ourselves outside the box, to think bigger than we normally think. Not just in athletics, but across every aspect of the university. … Let’s push ourselves to be better.”

I've always believed that the most feasible, creative way for cash-strapped hbcus to move up would be to do so as a collective group instead of doing so individually. And not to rush to elevation, but to do so as a long-range (5 to 10 years) strategic plan. Such caution would eliminate the need to mimic the efforts of FAMU or TSU, and find onesself having to revisit its former status. I think the idea of movng up is a good one. A FBS HBCU conference of schools would surely attract the eyes of some of the top black athletes who currently are not interested in playing at a lower level. Perhaps a list of {say} a dozen potential schools could be compiled, and of those, if at least six are ready to make a commitment within 5 to 10 years, then those schools could move up together. I don't know if there is st[ll a 30,000 stadium seat requirement, but if there is, only Norfolk would satisfy that reqirement with Southern comig in a close second at 28,500 seats. If that is still a requrement, that alone would require $ millions for expansion. The longer we wait, the more expensive it will be. Interested schools should join their minds together and come up with a smart, feasible, strategic plan to make it happen.

Last edited:
I've always believed that the most feasible, creative way for cash-strapped hbcus to move up would be to do so as a collective group instead of doing so individually. And not to rush to elevation, but to do so as a long-range (5 to 10 years) strategic plan. Such caution would eliminate the need to mimic the efforts of FAMU or TSU, and find onesself having to revisit its former status. I think the idea of movng up is a good one. A FBS HBCU conference of schools would surely attract the eyes of some of the top black athletes who currently are not interested in playing at a lower level. Perhaps a list of {say} a dozen potential schools could be compiled, and of those, if at least six are ready to make a commitment within 5 to 10 years, then those schools could move up together. I don't know if there is st[ll a 30,000 stadium seat requirement, but if there is, only Norfolk would satisfy that reqirement with Southern comig in a close second at 28,500 seats. If that is still a requrement, that alone would require $ millions for expansion. The longer we wait, the more expensive it will be. Interested schools should join their minds together and come up with a smart, feasible, strategic plan to make it happen.
Uhh dude, JSU's the only SWAC school that has that 30,000 requirement fulfilled. southern ain't quite there yet.
JSU consistently has the highest attendance in all of HBCU football hands down.

I think it's you have to average 15,000 for a two year period or something like that.

Tbh I know the meac has gone away from the ncaa d1 AA playoffs but ncat would struggle getting through the playoffs they’re not ready yet for p5. It’s one thing to sneak up on a team who don’t see you but maybe once in a blue moon. It’s another for them too see you yearly.... I hope ncat don’t become the next Tennessee state in football... prosper in your dynasty and enjoy the funding and support on your current scale...

Tbh I know the meac has gone away from the ncaa d1 AA playoffs but ncat would struggle getting through the playoffs they’re not ready yet for p5. It’s one thing to sneak up on a team who don’t see you but maybe once in a blue moon. It’s another for them too see you yearly.... I hope ncat don’t become the next Tennessee state in football... prosper in your dynasty and enjoy the funding and support on your current scale...

Good points!

Uhh dude, JSU's the only SWAC school that has that 30,000 requirement fulfilled. southern ain't quite there yet.

There is no longer a stadium size requirement. There is an attendance requirement of 15,000 over a 2 year period.

... prosper in your dynasty and enjoy the funding and support on your current scale...

NC A&T has forgotten when they were the doormat of the MEAC....had Broadway not returned they would still be a doormat. The interesting thing is how long can they keep the momentum and recruiting. Once some of the assistants start getting head coaching gigs elsewhere we will see the true nature of their program.

Everyone wants to look at football. But in order to be FBS, each school has to provide more athletic activities and more schollys. Our schools have trouble max'n out the schollys already and don't have the finances to provide more varsity sports. How many HBCU's currently meet the requirements of FBS in facilities AND varsity sports.

Everyone wants to look at football. But in order to be FBS, each school has to provide more athletic activities and more schollys. Our schools have trouble max'n out the schollys already and don't have the finances to provide more varsity sports. How many HBCU's currently meet the requirements of FBS in facilities AND varsity sports.

Good points, J! Not to mention, how many hbcus average 15,000 fans over a 2-year period? In SWAC, I can think of only 2 schools, and MEAC is probably fewer than that. Does NCAT average 15,000 fans per game?

And who's gonna maintain 15k average for football once they move up??? The only way an HBCU can maintain a 15k average is atleast 8 schools were to move up at the same time. This could give schools 3-4 home games against HBCU's.

Only reason i'd say it would be a bad move instead of just moving to another conference is because in FBS, they won't have the luxury of doing what Tenn State and Hampton can do and still schedule 2-3 HBCU's a year. At most they'd be able to play one because pretty much all FBS conferences im pretty sure mandate how many FCS teams you can play in a year and it's usually one. So are their people going to go for never playing any HBCU teams? They have probably the best run HBCU athletic department out there at the moment and I dont doubt that they could pull it off but that would be iffy.

Knowing your propensity to spout out reckless untrues, I decided to do a little digging to see if JSU has indeed consistently had the highest attendance of all hbcus hands down, as you allege. According to the NCAA, since 2005 (the last 14 years) Southern University has won the HBCU attendance title 6 times, while Jackson State has won it 5 times. Additionally, Florida A & M has won it 2 times and NCAT has won it just once. SU won the HBCU attendance titles in the years: 2005, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. JSU won HBCU attendance titles in the years: 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2018. FAMU won titles in 2016 and 2017, while NCAT won it in 2009. These 4 schools along with TSU and SCSU consistently ranked in the top 5 for HBCU attendance. In 4 of the 5 years that JSU won the title, SU came in second. So, there you have it! SU beats you again!

Last edited:
Knowing your propensity to spout out reckless untrues, I decided to do a little digging to see if JSU has indeed consistently had the highest attendance of all hbcus hands down, as you allege. According to the NCAA. since 2005 (the last 14 years) Southern University has won the HBCU attendance title 6 times, while Jackson State has won it 5 times. Additionally, Florida A & M has won it 2 times and NCAT has won it just once. SU won the HBCU attendance titles in the years: 2005, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. JSU won HBCU attendance titles in the years: 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2018. FAMU won titles in 2016 ans 2017, while NCAT won it in 2009. These 4 schools along with TSU and SCSU consistently ranked in the top 5 for HBCU attendance. In 4 of the 5 years that JSU won the title, SU came in second. So, there you have it! SU beats you again!

this would have worked if fans only started attending games in 2005. Why only go back 14 years?

this would have worked if fans only started attending games in 2005. Why only go back 14 years?

I only sought to disprove the allegation that JSU has consistently led HBCU attendance,hands down, as Jay Rob contends.

Knowing your propensity to spout out reckless untrues, I decided to do a little digging to see if JSU has indeed consistently had the highest attendance of all hbcus hands down, as you allege. According to the NCAA, since 2005 (the last 14 years) Southern University has won the HBCU attendance title 6 times, while Jackson State has won it 5 times. Additionally, Florida A & M has won it 2 times and NCAT has won it just once. SU won the HBCU attendance titles in the years: 2005, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. JSU won HBCU attendance titles in the years: 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2018. FAMU won titles in 2016 and 2017, while NCAT won it in 2009. These 4 schools along with TSU and SCSU consistently ranked in the top 5 for HBCU attendance. In 4 of the 5 years that JSU won the title, SU came in second. So, there you have it! SU beats you again!
Post your source. As of now, your word is mud.

Back