NCAA lifts Oklahoma State APR penalty....

APR delayed graduation points.

WOW.. Jafus.. We all know about that. :smh:

JSU got a lot of delayed graduation points from when Comegy put 70% of the players off the team. BUT this is quite different and strange. To me this is like if Jackson State was doing a retention rate for our student body, normally you only look at a certain time frame. If a person enterned JSU in 2006 and left in 2009 but came back and finished in 2011, I can see us getting credit for them because graduation rates normally cover a 6 year period AND if he did not come back, that person would have counted against us. They never lost a point for that guy, so how can you get points becasue he chose to come back to graduate? APR was not even in place back then. I think that is why most of us are confused. I know a JSU football player who played for JSU in the EARLY 90s.. like 1991 and he JUST got his degree (he only needed two classes in that WHOLE time).. so you telling me, JSU can get APR credit for him? That makes no sense at all.

Just confirmed this....delayed graduation has always been a part of APR. Our schools just never tracked it or (in most cases) did not have the resources (money or staffing) to keep track of it. Can't blame OSU for taking advantage of the "loophole" if it can be termed as such. We just have to do a much better job of taking full advantage of ALL the rules and also we HAVE to keep better records and documentation. In the day of computers and information technology, there is really no excuse for poor record keeping and documentation. No one individual should be the only person to have access to or store these documents and records.

We just have to do better folks.

APR delayed graduation points.

Just confirmed this....delayed graduation has always been a part of APR. Our schools just never tracked it or (in most cases) did not have the resources (money or staffing) to keep track of it. Can't blame OSU for taking advantage of the "loophole" if it can be termed as such. We just have to do a much better job of taking full advantage of ALL the rules and also we HAVE to keep better records and documentation. In the day of computers and information technology, there is really no excuse for poor record keeping and documentation. No one individual should be the only person to have access to or store these documents and records.

Most of us knew of delayed graduation points.. again, Jackson State used it to clean up our mess that our compliance office left. We may have never been in APR trouble has we kept track of the kids in the first place. My concern here is that, in our case, we found kids who were in our system when APR began. I can only agree with giving APR points, if a kid (GROWN AZZ MAN in this case) had cost their school an APR point or two. I don't see how it's relevant that a kid who was in school 15 years ago, just graduated.

I guess what I am really trying to say is IF THAT GUY HAD NEVER CAME BACK, THEY NEVER WOULD HAVE LOST A POINT FOR HIM.. SO WHY DO THEY GET A POINT FOR HIM COMING BACK? Unless you go and take away points for every athlete who never graduated, how is it fair to give points TO those who come back and graduate.

They need to give him and his family season tickets on the 50.

Last edited:
No argument from me. All I can say is if we are going to be in the game we have to play the game. We have to put stuff in place so that if the department head leaves all the info is still accessible to his/her successor. Not being able to find documentation (in this day and age) is asinine.

Most of us knew of delayed graduation points.. again, Jackson State used it to clean up our mess that our compliance office left. We may have never been in APR trouble has we kept track of the kids in the first place. My concern here is that, in our case, we found kids who were in our system when APR began. I can only agree with giving APR points, if a kid (GROWN AZZ MAN in this case) had cost their school an APR point or two. I don't see how it's relevant that a kid who was in school 15 years ago, just graduated.

I guess what I am really trying to say is IF THAT GUY HAD NEVER CAME BACK, THEY NEVER WOULD HAVE LOST A POINT FOR HIM.. SO WHY DO THEY GET A POINT FOR HIM COMING BACK? Unless you go and take away points for every athlete who never graduated, how is it fair to give points TO those who come back and graduate.

Do you just pick this stuff out of your ass than decide to share it?

I'm still waiting on her to show me when the Black community protested about Black student-athletes being used and not graduating at these FSU's, UNC's, Miami's and etc. Her and TP doesn't seem to realize that protesting and JUST complaining are two separate things, but one graduated from that school in Jackson, MS and the other graduated from that school in the ghetto part of Houston.

I'm still waiting on her to show me when the Black community protested about Black student-athletes being used and not graduating at these FSU's, UNC's, Miami's and etc. Her and TP doesn't seem to realize that protesting and JUST complaining are two separate things, but one graduated from that school in Jackson, MS and the other graduated from that school in the ghetto part of Houston.

..and YOU graduated from a school that sell degrees and can't find paperwork.

..and YOU graduated from a school that sell degrees and can't find paperwork.

Okay!!!! We know that from what was in newspapers and on T.V., but where did you read that the Black community protested because Big PWCs weren't graduating Black student-athletes? You and Gloria James aka DCG are known for yanking stuff clean out of y'all rectums to make yourselves look good.

True, but who in their right mind thought it applied to athletes from the past before the APR era began. I would say not many, because if that line of thinking was out there the big schools would have already exploited it.

I agree with your sentiments about learning to play the game, but the NCAA pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this one. I don't think anybody saw this coming. Now that a precedent has been set, as you opined, we should play the hand that's being dealt.

The NCAA really looks foolish on this one.

Last edited:

Dang. I actually agree with TP. Lol

Maybe no one else thought to ask if it included pre-APR athletes. I have to give to OSU for thinking outside of the box. If OSU was not certain, all the NCAA could say was no but you know a PWC with T. Boone Pickens' money was not going to be told no.

Look on the bright side....the precedent has been set and the door wide open. We just have to follow the path to APR forgiveness.

True, but who in their right mind thought it applied to athletes from the past before the APR era began. I would say not many, because if that line of thinking was out there the big schools would have already exploited it.

I agree with your sentiments about learning to play the game, but the NCAA pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this one. I don't think anybody saw this coming. Now that a precedent has been set, as you opined, we should play the hand that's being dealt.

The NCAA really looks foolish on this one.

Last edited:
Back