Most marketable, profitable match up for the SWAC Championship Football Game?

Most marketable, profitable match

• Alabama A&M vs Grambling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama A&M vs Southern

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Alabama State vs Grambling

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Alabama State vs Southern

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Alcorn vs Grambling

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Alcorn vs. Southern

Votes: 27 29.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mighty Hornet,

This is all we are trying to say....sure we know that AAMU and AlaState have the advantage of bringing in-state fans to the games but the BAMA's are not that popular outside of BAMA.

Alcorn would draw a lot more neutral fans and SU fans would be a lot more excited about playing a traditional rival than playing a BAMA.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
TP,
Since you seem to suggest that "neutral" fans can account for so much, PLEASE explain the attendance for SCG I.

And I'll give you, that yes, maybe a few "neutral" Mississippi folks may be more inclined to go to the game if Alcorn is involved, but since this game is in Birmingham, don't you think that whatever few "neutral" fans, added to Alcorns fans, would still be far short of Bama State fans.

I don't ask that you like Bama State or A&M. I only ask that you keep it real. This game is in Birmingham, Alabama. That's the bottom line.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
and SU fans would be a lot more excited about playing a traditional rival than playing a BAMA.
Do you know just how short you're selling SU fans?

Heck, if Bama State was playing PV or PB in the championship game, I'll be there, regardless if the opponent is a "traditional rival" or not.

Not only would Alcorn State draw neutral fans, but Southern would as well. Plus, I think that Southern would be more excited to play us (instead of the Bamas), and their fans would really show up for that...as would ours (since it would be our first).

You have an abundance of Alcorn State's fans.. and abundance of Southern's fans.. Jackson State fans.. Both Bamas (since it's right there in Birmingham)...a sparse amount of MVSU and GSU...

If it's a BAMA vs. Southern.. You'll get a regular draw of Southern fans.. an over abundance of both Bama schools... and a sparse amount of other schools in and out of conference...

That's my take on it.

Originally posted by truthteller
Not only would Alcorn State draw neutral fans, but Southern would as well. Plus, I think that Southern would be more excited to play us (instead of the Bamas), and their fans would really show up for that...as would ours (since it would be our first).

You have an abundance of Alcorn State's fans.. and abundance of Southern's fans.. Jackson State fans.. Both Bamas (since it's right there in Birmingham)...a sparse amount of MVSU and GSU...

If it's a BAMA vs. Southern.. You'll get a regular draw of Southern fans.. an over abundance of both Bama schools... and a sparse amount of other schools in and out of conference...

:smh:

Yall need to let this "neutral fans" stuff go. Get real people.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
Do you know just how short you're selling SU fans?

Heck, if Bama State was playing PV or PB in the championship game, I'll be there, regardless if the opponent is a "traditional rival" or not.

How many SU fans rolled to Jackson to the SU-Valley game....how many rolled to the SU-JSU game???

Who you play makes a difference and SU fans are much more familiar with Alcorn and the Sounds of Dymamite and the Golden Girls and the War Chant than some BAMA ish.

And I'll give you, that yes, maybe a few "neutral" Mississippi folks may be more inclined to go to the game if Alcorn is involved, but since this game is in Birmingham, don't you think that whatever few "neutral" fans, added to Alcorns fans, would still be far short of Bama State fans.

I think Alcorn would draw more neutral interest in Alabama than the BAMA's.....Alcorn is an old school team and you will get HBCU fans out ...not just BAMA fans. No one would even expect any of you to even know how to win a championship game.

How many SU fans rolled to Jackson to the SU-Valley game....how many rolled to the SU-JSU game
ummmmm what does that have to do with a championship game????
And of course, fans would travel to see a game against a rival, but I guess you're saying fans won't travel to a championship game, unless it's against a rival.

I think Alcorn would draw more neutral interest in Alabama than the BAMA's
Yeah TP, there are way, way more folks in Alabama who would be interested in seeing Alcorn than seeing Alabama State or Alabama A&M.
Matter of fact, Alcorn is in such demand in Alabama, that they should move a few of their games there..

Man you sound so damn stupid with that crap it's not even funny.

btw, I see you conveniently didn't offer any explanation about "neutral fans" for SCG 1.

ummmmm what does that have to do with a championship game????
And of course, fans would travel to see a game against a rival, but I guess you're saying fans won't travel to a championship game, unless it's against a rival.

Yeah TP, there are way, way more folks in Alabama who would be interested in seeing Alcorn than seeing Alabama State or Alabama A&M.
Matter of fact, Alcorn is in such demand in Alabama, that they should move a few of their games there..

Man you sound so damn stupid with that crap it's not even funny.

btw, I see you conveniently didn't offer any explanation about "neutral fans" for SCG 1.

What about SCG I...of course there were neutral fans there. I had a lot of people from ATL who went. None of whom went to SWAC schools. ...and yes, people will travel to play a rival moreso than any other team.

I think Alcorn would draw more neutral interest in Alabama than the BAMA's.....Alcorn is an old school team and you will get HBCU fans out ...not just BAMA fans.

Those thousands upon thousands of folks here in Alabama just can't wait to see Alcorn play. There is even a petition circulating to get them in the MCC next year.

Once an idiot, always an idiot!

:mad: Ok I am sick of hearing this about SCG I. Let's get this thorugh everybody's head SCG I I have my opinion in believing that there were a lot of diverse fans mainly for the fact that they had the Battle of the Bands in conjunction with the football game. Heyll I think the game has done better as far as attendance of fans since then. And if it be so this if ASU&SU meet then I think it will be one for the books.

My $.02

Originally posted by Deuce
Bama State WILL bring a minimum of 25,000 to the SCG this year, especially if we're playing Southern.

25K? I don't think so....You might bring 10 to 15K. What are the past atttendances for the SCG?

True, Alcorn fans are fickle. But if we go to B'ham. The purple & gold brigade from ATL, HSV, B'ham, NO, J-Town, Whynot, and other places would be in full effect.

What about SCG I...of course there were neutral fans there. I had a lot of people from ATL who went. None of whom went to SWAC schools. ...and yes, people will travel to play a rival moreso than any other team.
TP,
Why was the attendance only 47K?
And I agree, there were a whole lot of "neutral fans" there, with the Band Battle and the fact that it was new.

ummm Jam,
Check the history of the attendance of SCGs. Then maybe you'll start to understand.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MH, I still contend that the BOOM and the BOX would bring out most band heads anyway. If you read the band board, you would see that the JSU-SU game in Jackson brought out FAMU fans, AAMU fans, etc just to see the bands. What would the battle of the bands have been had people known that JSU and SU would not be there. The BAMA's would come out in droves to see the BOOM and the BOX. The other bands were just there.

TP,
I see you can't keep it real. You get into saying what SU fans think, what Bama fans think, what "neutral folks would think, all of that is baloney!!! I'll deal in facts!!!!

Fact is, SCG 1 had 47K (with the bands and don't act as if that wasn't an attraction)
SCG 3, had 38K

That flies ALL in the face of your lil whack theory!!!!

keep on with the what folks think theory. When you have no facts, I guess you have to use something.
:D

Neutral fan draws:

Grambling
Southern
Jackson
Alcorn
Alabama State
Alabama a&m
Texas southern
UAPB
Miss. Valley
PV

Originally posted by COACH
Neutral fan draws:

Grambling
Southern
Jackson
Alcorn
Alabama State
Alabama a&m
Texas southern
UAPB
Miss. Valley
PV

I really think that the core members of the SWAC are really only concerned with each other. Maybe that is why I think that way.....SU-Gram-Alcorn-JSU matchups interest SU-Gram-Alcorn-JSU alumni and friends. I would go to see Gram vs Alcorn or Gram vs SU but I would never go to see AAMU vs AlaState. And any of the SU-Gram-Alcorn-JSU combinations would interest me more than when they play other teams. I also think that people are more aware of what those schools offer. AAMU draws the least because they new to 1-AA football and are not known to be championship caliber. Just look at what the JSU, Gram, SU, and Alcorn people have to say. Those four schools have 99% of the SWAC championships in the last 40 years......we are close to each other...and sell out when the competition is high. We love to hate each other. The BAMA's could leave the SWAC tomorrow and not be missed.

...and MH, a lot of people were not interesed in the football contest between JSU and SU this year because they expected JSU to get blown out....a lot of people still came to see the Boom and the J-Settes vs the BOX and the Dolls. I don't think two other bands command the atttention that those two do when they go head to head.

I really think that the core members of the SWAC are really only concerned with each other. Maybe that is why I think that way.....SU-Gram-Alcorn-JSU matchups interest SU-Gram-Alcorn-JSU alumni and friends. I would go to see Gram vs Alcorn or Gram vs SU but I would never go to see AAMU vs AlaState. And any of the SU-Gram-Alcorn-JSU combinations would interest me more than when they play other teams. I also think that people are more aware of what those schools offer. AAMU draws the least because they new to 1-AA football and are not known to be championship caliber. Just look at what the JSU, Gram, SU, and Alcorn people have to say. Those four schools have 99% of the SWAC championships in the last 40 years......we are close to each other...and sell out when the competition is high. We love to hate each other. The BAMA's could leave the SWAC tomorrow and not be missed.

Only in the strange, warped, bizarro world of tarzan-pride, could such idiocy be imagined. If AAMU and ASU were to leave the SWAC, we'd be missed. It would then allow jack-@ss sue the opportunity to return to the SCG. Then again, Bell is your coach, so that still would not be a "sure-in."

TP,
Why wasn't the attendance at SCG over 80K?
Based on your logic, that's what it should have been, right?
70K, in the very least.

:snicker:

think about it.

After all the big talk you've done about how you attract so many neutral fans, how folks wanna see your bands, how you have so many fans of your own, how blah blah blah

All of that, with a championship riding on the line, so please explain the attendance

surely, you can come up with something!

:lol::lol:

Back