Monte Coleman receives 2 year extension from UAPB

First of all JayRob, what I posted was not excuses. I graduated Saturday, May 11, 1996 from UAPB, almost 20 years ago. Over these past 2 decades, I saw my school lose it's Nursing program twice (once while I was enrolled, again some years after I graduated). I saw how former Chancellor Davis, Jr let our enrollment down to 1800 students! I saw how no efforts were made to market UAPB to bring in students. I saw how we lost our radio broadcast program and how we were using 20th century methodology. I am a loyal, dedicated, dues-paying alumni, going into my 2nd term as my Alumni chapter's secretary. I'm out there on the beat with our Office of Recruitment, I was in the crusade to establish our Aquaculture program & was there again crusading when it was trying to get taken from us. I was there working hard for my alma mater when this happened & I'm still here to see it slowly get back to productivity. Please don't insult me or my alma mater by saying these are excuses. This was fact for my school not fiction, and I don't ever give excuses.

As far as Rick Comegy, did he apply for the HC position at UAPB? If I'm not mistaken, he did not because Coach Coleman was still under his contact & there would be no need for us to consider Comegy. I don't know how much Comegy makes but how do you know he'd want or take a job with us even if one was available to him? How do you know he (Comegy) would be content with making what Coach Coleman currently makes?

I don't know if the latest APR is out, but as far as our academics (and I'm guessing you mean for the team), I can only go by what AD Hardy reports.

It's not irresponsible for my school to extend Coleman another 2-years if that's what we can afford. What would be irresponsible is if our Chancellor ignored our declining enrollment like the former chancellor and put all that money into a single program that is not guaranteed a winning season.

And where in the article did it mention Coleman was given his extension based on his Washington Redskins HOF Induction?

Keeping Coleman has nothing to do with keeping or losing academic programs. The man's making 150,000 (not including incentives) to consistently lose games. In addition, your program's still suffering from APR casualties under his watch, yet PB's rewarding him by giving him two more years? That makes no sense.
Regarding Comegy, I didn't just mention him. I only mentioned him because his salary's far less than Coleman's salary. I did mention the fact that there are other coaches out there who couldn't help but do a better job than what he's doing now.
Seems like PB's AD is just pure lazy to not rid himself of that albatross of a coach who always uses the excuse that "my team's "young", to try and explain away three straight losing seasons. I wonder what his excuse was for this year.
Surely, with some simple legwork and calling around, PB could've found a decent coach who would be willing to work for 150,000 dollars.
PB deserves better.

Cutting ties with Coach Coleman does not and will not guarantee we'll end up with quality, competitive coach. I'm not naive enough to know there are other coaches out there, but how do you know that we have not considered that (which we did)? How do you know if any wanted the job with us or weren't committed to their own contracts?
So nobody wanted to come to PB for 150,000 plus incentives? Just asking.
With the record Coleman had last year, who could do any worse than a 2-9 record (wins over Valley and Morehouse), while giving up an average of 53 points a game in the process?
This magnificent record gets him a 300,000 dollar reward over the next two years. Wow!!

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't know how PB is going to be competitive in the not-too-distant future, especially in the West when you see how much better Grambling has gotten, is getting. We know Southern will always be in the mix. Prairie View seemingly has a bright future with Willie Simmons. Texas Southern just made a splash hire at head coach.

It seems PB is being left behind compared to the other schools not only in the West, but in the conference as a whole

They could've hired Dooley... I'm just wondering how pb won a championship in 2012 and are now in this position? I can't even fathom jsu not pumping resources in our fb program like pb. The lack of emphasis on winning fb games is foreign to me. But that's why we're two different programs lol

I too have read all the recent hires that have gone on in our conference. I'm well aware that there are schools in our conference that place their highest priority on football & pay large amounts of money for a head coach. If your school has it like that, do you boo, pay to win! But I've also seen schools in our conference do this & the results were more than pitiful. I'm not referencing any one school, but we've read how some have paid top dollars for coaches who didn't even last the entire first year, or who didn't even last the length of their contracts or schools with multiple lawsuits due to hiring & firing of coaches. I want to see my boys do well on the field, too, or I'd be satisfied to see us at least be competitive, but never at the risk of lawsuits and/or having our football program in financial crisis again (Cooley).

I'm not one to count other people's money & it's a little annoying when they try to count mine. All this UAPB "shoulda" "woulda" "coulda" sounds good & sounds easy. But a choice was made to place a priority on things more beneficial to student enrollment increase & facility up gradation. I know a lot of folks can't fathom the concept of academics/student enrollment over athletics but at the end of the day, all our universities are in the business of serving students. No students, no university. UAPB chose students this time and it has paid off; contrary to what posters have said, our enrollment saw it's highest increase this past Fall, the first time in about 15 years.

I'm not happy with the football situation and I too think there may been another solution. Unfortunately, or not, this is how it is and I have to just accept it and hope whoever coaches my boys will do their job well & not hire any more friends.

I too have read all the recent hires that have gone on in our conference. I'm well aware that there are schools in our conference that place their highest priority on football & pay large amounts of money for a head coach. If your school has it like that, do you boo, pay to win! But I've also seen schools in our conference do this & the results were more than pitiful. I'm not referencing any one school, but we've read how some have paid top dollars for coaches who didn't even last the entire first year, or who didn't even last the length of their contracts or schools with multiple lawsuits due to hiring & firing of coaches. I want to see my boys do well on the field, too, or I'd be satisfied to see us at least be competitive, but never at the risk of lawsuits and/or having our football program in financial crisis again (Cooley).

I'm not one to count other people's money & it's a little annoying when they try to count mine. All this UAPB "shoulda" "woulda" "coulda" sounds good & sounds easy. But a choice was made to place a priority on things more beneficial to student enrollment increase & facility up gradation. I know a lot of folks can't fathom the concept of academics/student enrollment over athletics but at the end of the day, all our universities are in the business of serving students. No students, no university. UAPB chose students this time and it has paid off; contrary to what posters have said, our enrollment saw it's highest increase this past Fall, the first time in about 15 years.

I'm not happy with the football situation and I too think there may been another solution. Unfortunately, or not, this is how it is and I have to just accept it and hope whoever coaches my boys will do their job well & not hire any more friends.

giphy.gif

As a fan and supporter of UAPB I'm not satisfied with the result in football. However if mass resources had been spent with the same result I'd be even more upset. Like other schools in the SWAC that have paid huge amounts for coaches only to have the same amount of titles we have is just as bad. To say that we don't care about winning in one thing. Hiring your buddy was a big mistake and now that he's gone we will be better just off of that one move. Significant improvements have been made to strengthen our APR and athletics academics and the overall product will be competitive in the end. The contract extension isn't a popular move but nevertheless like my fellow lioness 96 said count your own money.

As a fan and supporter of UAPB I'm not satisfied with the result in football. However if mass resources had been spent with the same result I'd be even more upset. Like other schools in the SWAC that have paid huge amounts for coaches only to have the same amount of titles we have is just as bad. To say that we don't care about winning in one thing. Hiring your buddy was a big mistake and now that he's gone we will be better just off of that one move. Significant improvements have been made to strengthen our APR and athletics academics and the overall product will be competitive in the end. The contract extension isn't a popular move but nevertheless like my fellow lioness 96 said count your own money.

Does not have to be popular move.. just has to be the right move... and if UAPB is not ready to go all in with the $$$, it's the right move.

I just don't get running programs if your not going to fully back them. Funding is low, but from working with some of these staffs with recruiting I can tell you, there are serious deficiencies in resources and a lack of infrastructure.

Ex. I had 4 players go to an HBCU, got there and had no living arrangements for 3 out of 4 of them. They all left and 1 transfered to a juco.

Just this past week a girl I played got news from the HBCU she is at that she owes $3300 this semester, which is funny because the only reason she went there is because they offered her a full ride. Now they are saying because she didn't take loans, it didn't cover the full amount of attendance.

Last example...

I had a couple kids go to an HBCU, they accidentally over signed and had no equipment for them. So they where stuck there and wasted a year of eligibility.

These things are just adding to the already negative perception people have on HBCU'S and another reason why the best black athletes don't even consider them.

Don't think these things don't go on at PWC's.

Some of those examples you gave could go toward those students not doing there due diligence. You can't just show up and find housing, you must apply and send in deposits prior to coming to a school.

Most schools will send you information about your bills and you can see it online along with your financial aid, scholarships and other fees associated with your cost to attend. Some students/parents don't look at it and see what's missing and know if they need additional funding.

I have 2 children in school (1 at HBCU & 1 at a PWC) and I can log in and see what is needed for both before they even leave to go for each semester.

Reactions: J C
Please. I'd take JSU's one title and three or four appearances in the SWAC title game (in the last decade) any time over PB's overall record during that same time period.
The same amount of championships is only a minute part of it. Your school hasn't been competitive in almost half a decade. Winning seven or eight games is being competitive. Winning two and three games per year in the SWAC is a travesty.
If a coach can keep his team competitive and in the run for the SWAC title, then his program is being competitive. If Coleman was at least doing that then he'd deserve an extension but he hasn't been, not even close.

I too have read all the recent hires that have gone on in our conference. I'm well aware that there are schools in our conference that place their highest priority on football & pay large amounts of money for a head coach. If your school has it like that, do you boo, pay to win! But I've also seen schools in our conference do this & the results were more than pitiful. I'm not referencing any one school, but we've read how some have paid top dollars for coaches who didn't even last the entire first year, or who didn't even last the length of their contracts or schools with multiple lawsuits due to hiring & firing of coaches......

:rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Your right, and all that type of talk equals D-2. Lol

I don't know how PB is going to be competitive in the not-too-distant future, especially in the West when you see how much better Grambling has gotten, is getting. We know Southern will always be in the mix. Prairie View seemingly has a bright future with Willie Simmons. Texas Southern just made a splash hire at head coach.

It seems PB is being left behind compared to the other schools not only in the West, but in the conference as a whole
Hey, everybody isn't trying to win. Nothing wrong with that. That's one less team GSU, Pvam,TxSU and SU has to worry about. Atleast UAPB will get to see everybody's homecoming . You have fobbs, big worm,Simmons, Haywood and then you have Coleman lol that west loaded damn. Valley, A&M, and UAPB should start them a D-2 conference. That's not a bad idea, they could add Tuskegee, lane, morehouse and Louisiana college. Lmao

So Grambling can find a coach with a the state only giving us 13 million dollars to run the university, after a national embarrassment and 15% drop in enrollment, but UAPB didn't even try?

I think we will improve. I honestly believe it's like Jimmyoliver said, we hit a major downfall when Coach Coleman
hired Anthony Jones and the rest of the former staff. I don't think & never have thought the problem was our team, because contrary to what posters have said, we do have talent. We DO NOT, my belief, have talent on the coaching capacity. As a defensive coordinator, Coach Coleman served so much better (again, my belief). As head coach, not so much. But with the right coordinators & coaches, we can at least be more competitive. We'll just have to see how this pans out & if it doesn't, we have to get through these next 2 seasons.

It may look bad now, but I don't think it's to the point of us moving to D2. Only God knows what Fall 2016 holds for us.

You right Lioness, the assistants make a world of difference

I think we will improve. I honestly believe it's like Jimmyoliver said, we hit a major downfall when Coach Coleman
hired Anthony Jones and the rest of the former staff. I don't think & never have thought the problem was our team, because contrary to what posters have said, we do have talent. We DO NOT, my belief, have talent on the coaching capacity. As a defensive coordinator, Coach Coleman served so much better (again, my belief). As head coach, not so much. But with the right coordinators & coaches, we can at least be more competitive. We'll just have to see how this pans out & if it doesn't, we have to get through these next 2 seasons.

It may look bad now, but I don't think it's to the point of us moving to D2. Only God knows what Fall 2016 holds for us.

You right Lioness, the assistants make a world of difference

Back