Monte Coleman receives 2 year extension from UAPB

How much does Monte make anyway?

What is Coleman salary. A lot of these schools need to learn how throw in that buyout in the contract.

I don't know exactly how much Coach Coleman makes; I can only try to recall what was mentioned in the Pine Bluff Commercial some years ago. But ironically there's an article today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that talks about Coach Coleman's contract. If I'm able to get my hands on a copy, I'll share.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
By I.C. Murrell

COMMERCIAL SPORTS EDITOR

The Commercial has obtained a copy of Arkansas-Pine Bluff football coach Monte Coleman’s new contract through the Freedom of Information Act.

Coleman, who is heading into his sixth year as the Golden Lions’ head man, was given a three-year deal retroactive to Jan. 1 with an annual base salary of $150,000. The contract, which expires Dec. 31, 2015, may be extended for two years should funds become available during its term.

The salary is a raise from his original five-year deal, which called for a base of $100,000 per year but projected an increase of $120,000 by July 1, 2011.

Coleman continued to work under a gentleman’s agreement shortly after his original contract expired Dec. 31, 2012. The new contract is dated June 18, 2013, but Coleman announced July 15 during SWAC Media Day in Birmingham, Ala., the deal was approved three days before the event.

Incentives for Coleman under the new deal include:

• 2 percent of his gross annual salary if the Golden Lions win seven games;

• 3 percent if the Lions win eight games;

• an additional 4 percent if the Lions win the SWAC Western Division title or appear in a postseason bowl game (there are currently no bowls for SWAC teams, but the conference’s division champions meet in the SWAC championship game);

• an additional 5 percent if the Lions win the SWAC championship;

• an additional 3 percent if he is named coach of the year; and

• “whenever possible, through partnerships which may be established with local automobile dealerships,” a courtesy automobile to use during the contract. The vehicle will be insured as part of the University of Arkansas system’s fleet.

Unlike in his original contract, no incentive was listed for a student-athlete graduation rate of 70 percent or better.

- See more at: http://pbcommercial.com/sections/sports/uapb/coleman’s-deal-3-years-150k-annually.html#.dpuf

This is unbelievable. It's obvious that PB has no interest in a winning football program.
Coleman's Redskins hall of fame entrance should have nothing to do with him keeping his job if he's not improving the program.
This decision is truly a disservice to PB sports, being that football funds are normally used to help support other sports programs.
Win more games, THAT'S when people will start giving, but when you're constantly losing, it's hard to raise funds.
Under Coleman, PB's been a perennial loser over the last four years.

Actually, it's not unbelievable. Over the last few decades, UAPB (under former Chancellor L.A. Davis, Jr) has declined drastically in enrollment. We lost our Nursing program twice, our Contingency Plan had not been updated since 1996 (the year I graduated), our technology was outdated, we lost our Radio Broadcast program....the list goes on.

Our current Chancellor (Laurence Alexander) is going into his 4th year, and in the short time he's been, our enrollment has increased for the first time in about 15 years; our Nursing Program received $250,000 in a grant from Blue Cross/Blue Shield in less than a year since it's been re-accredited; we now have a STEM building with technology that will give our kids the advantage to compete; we're about to get our Student Union upgraded; our Radio Broadcast program is back. These achievements, especially enrollment increase, were & are Dr. Alexander's priority....but it took money for these to happen.

Of course we want a winning athletic program (all sports) but not at the risk of poor student enrollment and/or being broke. If we cannot afford another coach or cannot afford to buy him out, that's that, and it would be stupid spending money we don't have for the sole sake of a winning football program.

By I.C. Murrell

COMMERCIAL SPORTS EDITOR

The Commercial has obtained a copy of Arkansas-Pine Bluff football coach Monte Coleman’s new contract through the Freedom of Information Act.

Coleman, who is heading into his sixth year as the Golden Lions’ head man, was given a three-year deal retroactive to Jan. 1 with an annual base salary of $150,000. The contract, which expires Dec. 31, 2015, may be extended for two years should funds become available during its term.

The salary is a raise from his original five-year deal, which called for a base of $100,000 per year but projected an increase of $120,000 by July 1, 2011.

Coleman continued to work under a gentleman’s agreement shortly after his original contract expired Dec. 31, 2012. The new contract is dated June 18, 2013, but Coleman announced July 15 during SWAC Media Day in Birmingham, Ala., the deal was approved three days before the event.

Incentives for Coleman under the new deal include:

• 2 percent of his gross annual salary if the Golden Lions win seven games;

• 3 percent if the Lions win eight games;

• an additional 4 percent if the Lions win the SWAC Western Division title or appear in a postseason bowl game (there are currently no bowls for SWAC teams, but the conference’s division champions meet in the SWAC championship game);

• an additional 5 percent if the Lions win the SWAC championship;

• an additional 3 percent if he is named coach of the year; and

• “whenever possible, through partnerships which may be established with local automobile dealerships,” a courtesy automobile to use during the contract. The vehicle will be insured as part of the University of Arkansas system’s fleet.

Unlike in his original contract, no incentive was listed for a student-athlete graduation rate of 70 percent or better.

- See more at: http://pbcommercial.com/sections/sports/uapb/coleman’s-deal-3-years-150k-annually.html#.dpuf

Thanks blue; now I don't have to post/type all that. :)

Actually, it's not unbelievable. Over the last few decades, UAPB (under former Chancellor L.A. Davis, Jr) has declined drastically in enrollment. We lost our Nursing program twice, our Contingency Plan had not been updated since 1996 (the year I graduated), our technology was outdated, we lost our Radio Broadcast program....the list goes on.

Our current Chancellor (Laurence Alexander) is going into his 4th year, and in the short time he's been, our enrollment has increased for the first time in about 15 years; our Nursing Program received $250,000 in a grant from Blue Cross/Blue Shield in less than a year since it's been re-accredited; we now have a STEM building with technology that will give our kids the advantage to compete; we're about to get our Student Union upgraded; our Radio Broadcast program is back. These achievements, especially enrollment increase, were & are Dr. Alexander's priority....but it took money for these to happen.

Of course we want a winning athletic program (all sports) but not at the risk of poor student enrollment and/or being broke. If we cannot afford another coach or cannot afford to buy him out, that's that, and it would be stupid spending money we don't have for the sole sake of a winning football program.

Your STEM program has always been strong. I work with UAPB students and faculty. They make their young chemists put in work.. AND they like to compete against major research universities.... Now, I can't speak on the rest of the school..

Oh look. Non-sports guy mentioning Valley again. Who surprised

It's my thread but I won't derail it because of someone (from JSU of all places) without any sports knowledge making asinine comments about infrastructure. The high road is a lonely place

:sigh:

Well said 96 Lioness! As much as I love athletics I could not agree more. Schools that lose money on athletics (which are most of the FCS schools and a lot of the FBS schools) cannot keep spending money on firing and hiring coaches. If you have a good man who is a good role model like Coach Coleman you support him and hope things get better on the field.

I agree with UAPB, if the money is not there then do what's needed. Academics first !!! And UAPB is in great need of full academic support from administration . But honestly UAPB has that family bond with there staff. They will stick with them through thick n thin. I can say that.

Well I'm going to address the elephant in the room. Do you see UAPB dropping back down to D2 if this doesn't improve soon?

I just don't get running programs if your not going to fully back them. Funding is low, but from working with some of these staffs with recruiting I can tell you, there are serious deficiencies in resources and a lack of infrastructure.

Ex. I had 4 players go to an HBCU, got there and had no living arrangements for 3 out of 4 of them. They all left and 1 transfered to a juco.

Just this past week a girl I played got news from the HBCU she is at that she owes $3300 this semester, which is funny because the only reason she went there is because they offered her a full ride. Now they are saying because she didn't take loans, it didn't cover the full amount of attendance.

Last example...

I had a couple kids go to an HBCU, they accidentally over signed and had no equipment for them. So they where stuck there and wasted a year of eligibility.

These things are just adding to the already negative perception people have on HBCU'S and another reason why the best black athletes don't even consider them.

My Potna and I talk about that all the time. He is an alumni of UAPB but always trying to down mvsu but I tell him that they are similar, maybe not as bad but UAPB isn't far behide valley. I tell him all the time I think UAPB and valley should go d-2. The east could add Tuskegee, and idk who the west would add.

I'm lost for words. At least Jones is gone. Every game we play on the road will be a homecoming. We love last place and will do everything we can to keep it!

My Potna and I talk about that all the time. He is an alumni of UAPB but always trying to down mvsu but I tell him that they are similar, maybe not as bad but UAPB isn't far behide valley. I tell him all the time I think UAPB and valley should go d-2. The east could add Tuskegee, and idk who the west would add.

Lol.....man how many times do folks gotta tell y'all Tuskegee is in no shape to move up to fcs level?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I just don't get running programs if your not going to fully back them. Funding is low, but from working with some of these staffs with recruiting I can tell you, there are serious deficiencies in resources and a lack of infrastructure.

Ex. I had 4 players go to an HBCU, got there and had no living arrangements for 3 out of 4 of them. They all left and 1 transfered to a juco.

Just this past week a girl I played got news from the HBCU she is at that she owes $3300 this semester, which is funny because the only reason she went there is because they offered her a full ride. Now they are saying because she didn't take loans, it didn't cover the full amount of attendance.

Last example...

I had a couple kids go to an HBCU, they accidentally over signed and had no equipment for them. So they where stuck there and wasted a year of eligibility.

These things are just adding to the already negative perception people have on HBCU'S and another reason why the best black athletes don't even consider them.

There is no such thing as a full ride.

Your STEM program has always been strong. I work with UAPB students and faculty. They make their young chemists put in work.. AND they like to compete against major research universities.... Now, I can't speak on the rest of the school..

I didn't say anything about our STEM program, TP, I said we recently got a STEM Building with new technology.

There is no such thing as a full ride.
A Full Ride Scholarship- These scholarship awards can cover tuition costs to all of your living expenses, depending on the terms determined by the provider.

In this case it was "tuition, room and board, and compulsory fees." The only thing that was agreed to be paid is books and food. They can't even give an explination for the outstanding balance, and now the business office has stopped picking up phone calls or answering e-mails from the mother who is trying to find out more about the mystery balance. A bad look for the school.

Well I'm going to address the elephant in the room. Do you see UAPB dropping back down to D2 if this doesn't improve soon?

I think we will improve. I honestly believe it's like Jimmyoliver said, we hit a major downfall when Coach Coleman
hired Anthony Jones and the rest of the former staff. I don't think & never have thought the problem was our team, because contrary to what posters have said, we do have talent. We DO NOT, my belief, have talent on the coaching capacity. As a defensive coordinator, Coach Coleman served so much better (again, my belief). As head coach, not so much. But with the right coordinators & coaches, we can at least be more competitive. We'll just have to see how this pans out & if it doesn't, we have to get through these next 2 seasons.

It may look bad now, but I don't think it's to the point of us moving to D2. Only God knows what Fall 2016 holds for us.

I won't ever speak for Valley or any other SWAC/HBCU, but I will say that none of us are in such tip-top financial state to talk about anyone! Nor can any of us speculate or guesstimate how well one school is doing over another.

Let me put it this way......UAPB has money to commit to academic/enrollment priorities & facility up gradation or has money to pay for an expensive head football coach.....but right now, UAPB does NOT have the money to do both!

Reactions: J C

These are nothing more than excuses. Coleman's making more than Comegy but did PB even look his way? Under Coleman's tenure, not only is academics still suffering, but the program is getting worse with no end in sight. To reward the man with a two year extension is totally irresponsible and beyond laughable.
Comegy's a much better coach than Coleman, yet you guys didn't even give him or another rising coach an offer.
According to the article, one of the given reasons PB gave Coleman an extension was because he was going into some hall of fame.

Comegy makes around 50,000 dollars less than Coleman, but I wonder if PB even considered him or another coach at all who would've worked for that same 150,000 Coleman's making.
If the man is constantly losing, there's no excuse to keep paying him 150,000 that could've been given to someone else.

I won't ever speak for Valley or any other SWAC/HBCU, but I will say that none of us are in such tip-top financial state to talk about anyone! Nor can any of us speculate or guesstimate how well one school is doing over another.

Let me put it this way......UAPB has money to commit to academic/enrollment priorities & facility up gradation or has money to pay for an expensive head football coach.....but right now, UAPB does NOT have the money to do both!
You didn't need to hire an expensive coach, you just needed to cut ties with Coleman. Several coaches out there would work for that amount from the JUCO level or D-2 level. I wonder if you guys even tried.

These are nothing more than excuses. Coleman's making more than Comegy but did PB even look his way? Under Coleman's tenure, not only is academics still suffering, but the program is getting worse with no end in sight. To reward the man with a two year extension is totally irresponsible and beyond laughable.
Comegy's a much better coach than Coleman, yet you guys didn't even give him or another rising coach an offer.
According to the article, one of the given reasons PB gave Coleman an extension was because he was going into some hall of fame.

Comegy makes around 50,000 dollars less than Coleman, but I wonder if PB even considered him or another coach at all who would've worked for that same 150,000 Coleman's making.
If the man is constantly losing, there's no excuse to keep paying him 150,000 that could've been given to someone else.

First of all JayRob, what I posted was not excuses. I graduated Saturday, May 11, 1996 from UAPB, almost 20 years ago. Over these past 2 decades, I saw my school lose it's Nursing program twice (once while I was enrolled, again some years after I graduated). I saw how former Chancellor Davis, Jr let our enrollment down to 1800 students! I saw how no efforts were made to market UAPB to bring in students. I saw how we lost our radio broadcast program and how we were using 20th century methodology. I am a loyal, dedicated, dues-paying alumni, going into my 2nd term as my Alumni chapter's secretary. I'm out there on the beat with our Office of Recruitment, I was in the crusade to establish our Aquaculture program & was there again crusading when it was trying to get taken from us. I was there working hard for my alma mater when this happened & I'm still here to see it slowly get back to productivity. Please don't insult me or my alma mater by saying these are excuses. This was fact for my school not fiction, and I don't ever give excuses.

As far as Rick Comegy, did he apply for the HC position at UAPB? If I'm not mistaken, he did not because Coach Coleman was still under his contact & there would be no need for us to consider Comegy. I don't know how much Comegy makes but how do you know he'd want or take a job with us even if one was available to him? How do you know he (Comegy) would be content with making what Coach Coleman currently makes?

I don't know if the latest APR is out, but as far as our academics (and I'm guessing you mean for the team), I can only go by what AD Hardy reports.

It's not irresponsible for my school to extend Coleman another 2-years if that's what we can afford. What would be irresponsible is if our Chancellor ignored our declining enrollment like the former chancellor and put all that money into a single program that is not guaranteed a winning season.

And where in the article did it mention Coleman was given his extension based on his Washington Redskins HOF Induction?

You didn't need to hire an expensive coach, you just needed to cut ties with Coleman. Several coaches out there would work for that amount from the JUCO level or D-2 level. I wonder if you guys even tried.

Cutting ties with Coach Coleman does not and will not guarantee we'll end up with quality, competitive coach. I'm not naive enough to know there are other coaches out there, but how do you know that we have not considered that (which we did)? How do you know if any wanted the job with us or weren't committed to their own contracts?

Back