MEAC Rumor: Delaware State to the Northeast Conference?

Kenn Rashad

Person In Charge
Staff member
Word on the street is Delaware State may be considering leaving the MEAC for the Northeast Conference. I was told that issue was discussed during a Board of Trustees meeting last Thursday.

Just a rumor right now. Nothing confirmed.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
If I was the MEAC Commish I would just resign now.... now way would I want to be known as the person who was in charge when the MEAC folded.

I think I agree with this. Delaware State is not a major factor in MEAC sports but the fact that they are exploring leaving is a damning sign with 5 schools leaving or looking to leave on your watch (SSU moving down to D2 is not his fault though). DSU is not as far from the VA and MD schools as BCU and FAMU so them looking to leave is bad

I would also put them in the same boat as A&T and Hampton as far as a rude awakening is concerned

Too late for that. Might as well go down with the ship

If he resigns now and they get a commish in place similar to Dr. Mac (I know that's a big IF) who can convince them that it is better for DSU to stay (I would let BCU walk to be honest), then I think the conference could be saved

I'm still not in favor of running from your own to build up someone else's house.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Would the SWAC really accept BCC on such short notice?
I think they will, you couldn’t pass up having all major HBCU Rivals and Classics in one conference. I think the preference is Tenn St, but first you have to want to come. I think the SWAC will have more negotiation power for tv deals with ESPN and etc when current agreement ends that can benefit all our schools by adding FAMU and possibly BCU!

If they request to come, we would have to give them serious consideration, and probably say "Yes." I would still watch their financial situation though and hope their membership in SWAC would help their cause. They would be the first private/parochial institution in SWAC.

I think they will, you couldn’t pass up having all major HBCU Rivals and Classics in one conference. I think the preference is Tenn St, but first you have to want to come. I think the SWAC will have more negotiation power for tv deals with ESPN and etc when current agreement ends that can benefit all our schools by adding FAMU and possibly BCU!

The conference don't make any money itself off those classics, it goes to the schools themselves. The promoters are not gonna let their games be televised live because they want fans in the stands.

BCC presents the same challenge that’s in the MEAC, travel will get expensive. It’s close to 960 miles for the Texas Schools. Even for the MS schools it’s 600+. Don’t see how that benefits our conference.

Exactly, they don't bring any less travel time for any of the schools in the conference.

If Del. State and BCU leave, would MEAC have enough football-playing schools to compete as a conference?

You need 6 football playing schools to compete.

Back