MEAC Rumor: Delaware State to the Northeast Conference?

BCC presents the same challenge that’s in the MEAC, travel will get expensive. It’s close to 960 miles for the Texas Schools. Even for the MS schools it’s 600+. Don’t see how that benefits our conference.
Exactly. IMO, Bethune Joining the ASUN would be better for them Financially for in all other sports. Especially since 4 member schools are in the state of Florida. In football, they would have to join the Big South as an associate member. But the trips won’t be as long. They’d go to Georgia, SC, NC & ALABAMA once every two years basically.

BCC presents the same challenge that’s in the MEAC, travel will get expensive. It’s close to 960 miles for the Texas Schools. Even for the MS schools it’s 600+. Don’t see how that benefits our conference.

Well, if they compete in the Western Division, they would be competing against FAMU, the BAMA schools and JSU primarily for football, with only 3 visits to the West in a single season. This might be a little better than the MEAC. The SWAC, in an effort to help all concerned might want to look at going to divisional play in all sports. Those trips to the West for football would only occur once or twice per season.

Last edited:

I think I agree with this. Delaware State is not a major factor in MEAC sports but the fact that they are exploring leaving is a damning sign with 5 schools leaving or looking to leave on your watch (SSU moving down to D2 is not his fault though). DSU is not as far from the VA and MD schools as BCU and FAMU so them looking to leave is bad

I would also put them in the same boat as A&T and Hampton as far as a rude awakening is concerned

Please elaborate on this rude awakening?

BCU to the SWAC just doesn’t make any sense for us or them... I’m finding it hard to see how anyone with any business acumen could be advocating such a move.

Hey VoR, I am not advocating for BCU to join our ranks. I personally am fine with an 11 member association. However, I wouldn't have a problem with their entrance, if it meant saving this proud HBCU program from demise.

If they request to come, we would have to give them serious consideration, and probably say "Yes." I would still watch their financial situation though and hope their membership in SWAC would help their cause. They would be the first private/parochial institution in SWAC.

Not really, Earle. Don't forget that the SWAC was comprised of Paul Quinn, Wiley, Jarvis, H-T, et al... all private/parochial schools. PV was the only "public" school at startup.

I am not comfortable with taking on Bethune. I would rather help Albany St move up and or move to 14 schools and 1 could be BCU.
Then completely making all sports divisional play with pods and round ups

Im cool with BCC.... as a fan. Trips to Orlando/Daytona are better than trips to most SWAC cities.

Western 7
SCSU/TNSU$
ALA ST*
AAMU*
ALB ST$
BCU$
FAMU$
JSU*
Eastern 7
ASU"
MVSU*
GSU$
SU*
APBU$
PVU$
TSU$
In football 8 gay men date 6 divisional games 1 * game and 1 $ game

Western 7
SCSU/TNSU$
ALA ST*
AAMU*
ALB ST$
BCU$
FAMU$
JSU*
Eastern 7
ASU"
MVSU*
GSU$
SU*
APBU$
PVU$
TSU$
In football 8 gay men date 6 divisional games 1 * game and 1 $ game

Um, how is Southern and the Texas schools in your Eastern division when they're west of your Western division schools?

Hey VoR, I am not advocating for BCU to join our ranks. I personally am fine with an 11 member association. However, I wouldn't have a problem with their entrance, if it meant saving this proud HBCU program from demise.

The program is not going to go away if they are not in the Swac, it will still go on.

Um, how is Southern and the Texas schools in your Eastern division when they're west of your Western division schools?

I think he must have been drinking when he posted that "8 gay men date"

If they request to come, we would have to give them serious consideration, and probably say "Yes." I would still watch their financial situation though and hope their membership in SWAC would help their cause. They would be the first private/parochial institution in SWAC.

Not the first, since the SWAC was started by mostly private institutions, but they would be the only private school in today's SWAC.

I dont want anymore uppity folks in this conference. We already have enough with SU being here. Keep those "tinies" in the MEAC.

I'm ready to kick FAMU out already and they hasn't even gotten unpacked yet

Last edited by a moderator:
The conference don't make any money itself off those classics, it goes to the schools themselves. The promoters are not gonna let their games be televised live because they want fans in the stands.

Exactly, they don't bring any less travel time for any of the schools in the conference.

You need 6 football playing schools to compete.

Its all about money. The Commish would just need to find ways to leverage the benefits of the conference, member schools, and the promoter. I think that can be done. Maybe not even with the big classics but maybe some of the ones that are struggling like the Circle City. The conference/ESPN, etc could partner with them.

DSU has been flirting with the NEC for years
FAM4lyfe you have been lurking around the SWAC conversations for years and now you get to be a part of it, welcome to the conference. Now you know things are going to change :). My son attended FAMU. In any event glad to have you. Hopefully we can get a 12th team and you want have to play the Braves annually.

Back