Male Clarinet Players

TBone2 said:
Didn't Dr. Lewis Liddell play the clarinet when he marched in JSU's band in the 1960's?

Clarinet is his primary instrument, as well as Dr. Michael MaGruder.
Every male clarinet player that I have known were EXCELLENT clarinet players.

Didn't DJ Quick play the flute? Remember all those Quick Grooves on all his CDs.

I don't think anything is wrong with it. It just so happens that MAJORITY of the male clarinet players are actually FRUITY or seem FRUITY. I must say that, when you do see a male clarinet player, they usually play the schit out of it. They add an AGGRESSIVE (male) deminsion to the instrument that is simply lacking in the female player.

I have nothing against male clarinet players............BUT aint no fuccin way Im tooting on that peice wood.........just my opinion.

Nothing is wrong with it, but I would kick my sons azz coming home talking about he play the flute or clarinet. Them punks who do play them woodwinds be bad though.

Nothing wrong with clarinet. The question is, what does he want to play? How does he percieve it? Ultimately playing what the band needs may not play into his desires, which could end up with him not wanting to do music.

JBizzl said:
I have nothing against male clarinet players............BUT aint no fuccin way Im tooting on that peice wood.........just my opinion.

I feel ya cuz, because I know I'm guilty of watchin, waitin to see one of them girls lick the reed and then stick the tip in they mouth!!!! Maybe I'm a perv, but that isht be sexy!!!

My lil sister plays clarinet and I have taught myself how to play over the years, and I only play when there is NOBODY around because I feel a lil but queer everytime I prep to play.....

mustardmanSU_04 said:
My lil sister plays clarinet and I have taught myself how to play over the years, and I only play when there is NOBODY around because I feel a lil but queer everytime I prep to play.....

If you feel queer when you're about to do something....yet you do it anyway..and on the DL at that...:shame:

Sorry but that was too easy.

Venom Skywalker said:
If you feel queer when you're about to do something....yet you do it anyway..and on the DL at that...:shame:

Sorry but that was too easy.

All right Kuramo..... This is from the guy who marched along side The Dirty Dozen....

Me as a musician and a music major feel that this is something I must do. No matter how queer it may seem to me, its not an option to not master every instrument...... Outside of that, I wouldn't dare be doing it!

Incipience said:
All good points. Im not worried about his sexualality, or anyone elses for that matter. But I am more concerned with how some people will make him feel about him playing a clarinet. We all know how society can be.

He's excited about being in the band, and thats really whats important.

I understand what it is u are saying but mane fuggggggg people if u did everything for the next mane your life would be in a shell shock ya feel, just because he plays that thing don't mean **** in that case make him be the best he can be and then tell the people to go to hell.........

mustardmanSU_04 said:
Okay, enough with the band director bashing!!! F*** around and start a war..... And trust me, "You don't wanna go to war wit a soldier....."

It wasn't the horn though, because I remember seeing a male clarinet player on an old school tape.... It was the soft, SOFT voice more than likely. What do you expect from a 500 year old man? He's set in his ways.... I'm not condoning his actions..... Not at all.

But like I said, I don't care if Doc gets yo Momma pregnant, says its not his, goes on Maury and calls her a slut, say he only had sexy with her dog-faced. @$$ because he was tipsy off some bourbon...... Just lay off.... I might talk about yalls band programs, but never your directors....

YOU missed the entire point of that post.
READ the D@MN post instead of skimming through it.
For me to explain what I posted will belittle me and embarrass you.

Da_Sperm said:
Didn't DJ Quick play the flute? Remember all those Quick Grooves on all his CDs.

I don't think anything is wrong with it. It just so happens that MAJORITY of the male clarinet players are actually FRUITY or seem FRUITY. I must say that, when you do see a male clarinet player, they usually play the schit out of it. They add an AGGRESSIVE (male) deminsion to the instrument that is simply lacking in the female player.

Some folx dont understand that.
I started off playing the clarinet, then moved on to alto Sax later pick up Trumpet and Im a stand up guy.
It was some cats that played flute at AAMU. Only one of them was suspect the other ones were cool as a mugg.

mustardmanSU_04 said:
All right Kuramo..... This is from the guy who marched along side The Dirty Dozen....

Me as a musician and a music major feel that this is something I must do. No matter how queer it may seem to me, its not an option to not master every instrument...... Outside of that, I wouldn't dare be doing it!

YOu controdict youself with every post.

Yep you're a DL musician. Play Btone in the public eye, but behind closed doors you play piccolo. :lol:

Incipience said:
Shay, thats what Im really talking about. My nephew joined his elementary school band. When the teacher was giving out assigned instruments, my nephew asked to play either the trumpet or sax...since thats what mostly in our family. The teacher told him that, there was enough students playing those instruments, so he would have to play the clarinet. Im just concerned about the stigma that WE place on male clarinet players, we be thrown on him.

That's kinda how I ended up on trombone.........I actually wanted to play the clarinet (and I'm so glad I didn't!!! :lol: ), but my BD said she had too many already and that she needed more brass players- particularly female brass players. :tup:

Now as far as the gay and sissy comments regarding a guy playing the clarinet- I marched with this dude name Aaron from D.C.........dude was a straight up thug, was fightin mo foes all the time, was always getting into trouble, is also frat (KKPsi)...........and he was the BADDEST clarinet player during our MMH era. :tup: I'ain never heard a clarinet scream until I heard him. :lol:

So no, I see nothing wrong with a boy playing a woodwind instrument and a girl playing a LOW brass instrument. If I had that "girls shouldn't play boys instruments" mentally, then I would have never went as far as I did on my instrument. :nod:

yvette23 said:
Now as far as the gay and sissy comments regarding a guy playing the clarinet- I marched with this dude name Aaron from D.C.........dude was a straight up thug, was fightin mo foes all the time, was always getting into trouble, is also frat (KKPsi)...........and he was the BADDEST clarinet player during our MMH era. :tup: I'ain never heard a clarinet scream until I heard him. :lol:

That's what I saying. When did instruments get genders?

SONNY said:
When did instruments get genders?

Never. :smh: H ell, women weren't even allow to play in orchestra's back in the 17th-18th century, so who else but men played woodwinds and strings?

Man aint nothin wrong with a man playin a clarinet or flute. I don't believe this is even a thread. I've wanted to learn the dayum flute smh.

Being a band director I have come to find out that male clarinet players seem to be better than female clarinet players based on how the instrument is structured. When a clarinet player is a beginner one of the hardest things for a female is to master covering the holes on the instrument. Usually a male's hand is larger and therefore it makes it easier for them to naturally adapt to the instrument as a whole. I said that to say this, there is nothing wrong with a male clarinet player.

nothin wrong with male clarinet players. now if they come in there with an extra twist, we got a problem. but if they straight, i'm straight. and for the record, the best musicians are woodwind players, male or female. you have to know how to play, can't watch the next person's slide or valve. :p

XHALE9802 said:
and for the record, the best musicians are woodwind players,

Crys, I think I speak for all brass players when I say

**fart** :lmao:

whatever, you not speakin for me. i'm a brass, woodwind, and strings instrumentalist. i've seen it from all sides, you on the outside lookin in. i've seen less horn carriers in the woodwind section....

XHALE9802 said:
whatever, you not speakin for me. i'm a brass, woodwind, and strings instrumentalist. i've seen it from all sides, you on the outside lookin in. i've seen less horn carriers in the woodwind section....

Crys, calm ya azz down. :lol: U know I'm always joking on woodwinds. :smh:

SONNY said:
YOu controdict youself with every post.

Yep you're a DL musician. Play Btone in the public eye, but behind closed doors you play piccolo. :lol:

TROMBONE!!!! The horn of KINGS, and the occasional queen(shout out to females who like blowin on bones....)

But, me.... Contradict myself?! Mr. "You a DL musician..... When did instruments get genders?" YoU sir are the one sounding like Rick James a la Chappelle Show.....

I never condemmed anyone for playing any instrument, I just said me personally, I will never be labeled a woodwind player... Yes, I can play a woodwind or 2, but I am a low brass man. Nobody will EVER see me playing a clarinet or flute or piccollo unless I have a recital.

I wouldn't care if the RZA plays banjo, Hillary Clinton play tuba, or if Tupac was a tamborine player..... As long as you tight work, Im cool wit you. THAT is the only stipulation I out on musicians.

mustardmanSU_04 said:
I will never be labeled a woodwind player... Yes, I can play a woodwind or 2, but

Another controdiction.

If you PLAY the TRUMPET you are a TRUMPET PLAYER
If you PLAY the SOUSAPHONE you are a SOUSAPHONE PLAYER

now try to stay with me......

If you "PLAY" the "CLARINET" then you are a "CLARINET PLAYER"

PHP:
The point is it's an instrument like any other instrument. Being a musician is one of the few things in this world that should never be gender selective. I play the Saxophone, but it has been a dream of mine to play the flute, clarinet, etc....just be rounded in all woodwinds.[

I agree. A person's sexuality should not be questioned soley on the instrument the play. That's bogus

Back