Male Clarinet Players

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Incipience said:
What is your opinion of them?

This is a serious question, please give a serious answer.
You are right this is a very serious question. To me I think it's alright for a male to pursue something that seems unmanly. I have mad respect for a guy that does play clarinet.Even though others may look at them like somethings wrong,but i have no problem with it.

Shay, thats what Im really talking about. My nephew joined his elementary school band. When the teacher was giving out assigned instruments, my nephew asked to play either the trumpet or sax...since thats what mostly in our family. The teacher told him that, there was enough students playing those instruments, so he would have to play the clarinet. Im just concerned about the stigma that WE place on male clarinet players, we be thrown on him.

I know on August the 8th, 2004 there was a young man amongst the diverse mix of anxious, nervous people... And as Doc made his rounds asking each and every student where we the usual "name, where you from and what you play" this guy says "I play clarinet" in a soft, SOFT voice..... Doc asks him if he's gay, and then asks if he can play any other instruments.

He never played a single note on that clarinet of his..... Saxaphone player.

When I originally joined band 9 years ago, I was gonna play clarinet, but my band director, a female, told me that clarinet is a sissy instrument and I should play something manly like a baritone...

You gotta think though, we out that same, equal but opposite stigma on females who play percussion and low brass.

Incipience said:
Been there a several times. Whats the point?

The point is it's an instrument like any other instrument. Being a musician is one of the few things in this world that should never be gender selective. I play the Saxophone, but it has been a dream of mine to play the flute, clarinet, etc....just be rounded in all woodwinds.

mustardmanSU_04 said:
I know on August the 8th, 2004 there was a young man amongst the diverse mix of anxious, nervous people... And as Doc made his rounds asking each and every student where we the usual "name, where you from and what you play" this guy says "I play clarinet" in a soft, SOFT voice..... Doc asks him if he's gay, and then asks if he can play any other instruments.

He never played a single note on that clarinet of his..... Saxaphone player.

When I originally joined band 9 years ago, I was gonna play clarinet, but my band director, a female, told me that clarinet is a sissy instrument and I should play something manly like a baritone...

You gotta think though, we out that same, equal but opposite stigma on females who play percussion and low brass.

That has got to the Dumbest schit I ever heard in my life.

When I was in Jr. High band, there were several guys that played the clarinet. They were manly then and manly now. It's just an instrument. So is a piano a sissy instrument also. Man that Doc Greg dude need to the :slap: for making a comment like that.

buckwheat1911 said:
When I was in Jr. High band, there were several guys that played the clarinet. They were manly then and manly now. It's just an instrument. So is a piano a sissy instrument also. Man that Doc Greg dude need to the :slap: for making a comment like that.

I think he know's how to play Clarinet amoungst other instruments.
You know he an Alpha too bro. So I guess that means he's fruity also.

These EXTRA Dumb comments.

It's just an instrument. That doesn't mean he can't change to trumpet/sax next year.

I think learning several instruments is what makes you versatile. :tup:

My daughter's uncle sat 1st chair marching and symphonic wind, was a Que and was quite the ladies' man. And just to muddy the waters a bit, her dad played flute. Let's not stereotype based on instrument of choice.

All good points. Im not worried about his sexualality, or anyone elses for that matter. But I am more concerned with how some people will make him feel about him playing a clarinet. We all know how society can be.

He's excited about being in the band, and thats really whats important.

Incipience said:
All good points. Im not worried about his sexualality, or anyone elses for that matter. But I am more concerned with how some people will make him feel about him playing a clarinet. We all know how society can be.

Sounds like there is more pressure on you than the kid. The way you make things good for him? Help him to be the best clarinet player around. Girls will adore him and look up to him. He will love it.

Male Clarinet players are the HOTNESS. My ex marches the Sax and plays clarinet for concert season, he is VERY talented. This stigma is really sorta crazy, cause there was tired when ONLY men played clarinet in the musical realm...If he wants to play the clarinet let him...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I dont have an issue with him playing a clarinet. He already has a hard time, because he is bi-racial. So this will be more weight added on to him, that would prove unnecesary.

Incipience said:

True. And that's the attitude that you and others are going to have to cultivate, because like you say, society is a motha and is going to be very hard on him. I can speak from experience.

Now me I can see it from both sides. I know even now initially when I see a young man playing a woodwind instrument besides sax, I think hmmmmmm and I'm a musician and yes I know manly men who play them. And also I'm a father. I remember when my son came home alllllll excited about getting in the band. It was something he wanted to do and finally had his chance. But, he was going to play the bassoon. I started to forbid it, but thought, hey I may be stopping the next great bassoon player of the world so I went along. Sure enough as I sit here today, instead of being proud my son has offers from numerous schools on reeds, he quit the band in the eighth grade. My heart broke. But it was mostly from peer pressure. The kids outside the band and some within make it hard for young black men to play these instruments because of stereotypical perception. And I've seen the same thing happen twice since. I tried to convince one kid to stay with it and move on to HS and he could write his own ticket, but the pressure was too much. He quit too...:( Shoot I even began to get frustrated with the BD for putting these kids in these situations, when she knew they weren't going to stay. Just keep him strong minded and buy him some Pete Fountain and he'll be fine...:D

SimplyRedd said:
Male Clarinet players are the HOTNESS. My ex marches the Sax and plays clarinet for concert season, he is VERY talented. This stigma is really sorta crazy, cause there was tired when ONLY men played clarinet in the musical realm...If he wants to play the clarinet let him...

That is so true. I have yet to find any female, to out play Benny Goodman.

Incipience said:
Shay, thats what Im really talking about. My nephew joined his elementary school band. When the teacher was giving out assigned instruments, my nephew asked to play either the trumpet or sax...since thats what mostly in our family. The teacher told him that, there was enough students playing those instruments, so he would have to play the clarinet. Im just concerned about the stigma that WE place on male clarinet players, we be thrown on him.

I think he should play the instrument the school needs hi to play since he is just learning, but be allowed to play the instrument he really wants to play when he is mature enough to know what he wants to play...

SONNY said:
I think he know's how to play Clarinet amoungst other instruments.
You know he an Alpha too bro. So I guess that means he's fruity also.

These EXTRA Dumb comments.

Okay, enough with the band director bashing!!! F*** around and start a war..... And trust me, "You don't wanna go to war wit a soldier....."

It wasn't the horn though, because I remember seeing a male clarinet player on an old school tape.... It was the soft, SOFT voice more than likely. What do you expect from a 500 year old man? He's set in his ways.... I'm not condoning his actions..... Not at all.

But like I said, I don't care if Doc gets yo Momma pregnant, says its not his, goes on Maury and calls her a slut, say he only had sexy with her dog-faced. @$$ because he was tipsy off some bourbon...... Just lay off.... I might talk about yalls band programs, but never your directors....

Back