Largest HBCUs in the Nation

The whole 'Mason vs. Meyers" argument is a silly one. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but they're good for the University overall. Why can't we just say we replaced a good leader in Mason with another one in Meyers?

Because as you said, they both have their strengths. Meyers is focused on enrollment for whatever reason and has made more than one change in that area since being hired. This thread is about enrollment. Enrollment may drop next year but it won't be due to the lack of effort in Meyers behalf.

When Meyers was at Norfolk State, it was resign or be fired, she resigned. She applied for the same position at Morgan State, they told her to get lost. Now she wines up at Jackson State, selected by the Miss. College board, known its discriminatory practices against Miss. HBCU's and ex-JSU Presidents Peoples and Hefner. Meyers is a "fake" and can't be trusted. Some of you JSU posters don't know the different between your azz and a hole in the wall. :confused:

Meyers will resign as president of NSU

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Because as you said, they both have their strengths. Meyers is focused on enrollment for whatever reason and has made more than one change in that area since being hired. This thread is about enrollment. Enrollment may drop next year but it won't be due to the lack of effort in Meyers behalf.

When Meyers was at Norfolk State, it was resign or be fired, she resigned. She applied for the same position at Morgan State, they told her to get lost. Now she wines up at Jackson State, selected by the Miss. College board, known its discriminatory practices against Miss. HBCU's and ex-JSU Presidents Peoples and Hefner. Meyers is a "fake" and can't be trusted. Some of you JSU posters don't know the different between your azz and a hole in the wall. :confused:

Thanks for the tip.

We knew all of that and we are just glad they ran her out of town. Some people don't recognize great leadership. She is right where see needs to be and for us, she has been an effective leader.

Thank you!!!!
:clap:
That is why I laugh when I hear all this QUEEN Myers stuff and her taking all the credit. I just go along with it just to save argument time on this board. :lol:

For once we agree. I'm sure folks at jSU are looking at Meyers real closely. We need to hold our top administrators responsible for everything concerning our universities.

Last edited:
For once we agree. I'm sure folks at jSU are looking at Meyers real closely. We need to hold our top administrators responsible for everything concerning our universities.

Meyers has yet to get any push back from the faculty senate or any alumni faction. That was not the case with Mason. She is doing well in the eyes of the students and the faculty.. That's HUGE. Nobody ever trusted Mason and when that Jacobs U thing came out, he made everyone look right.

Speaking from personal opinion, the open enrollment years hurt their perception somewhat so the quality of the students they attract still won't be great (same problem UDC is having). I think they would benefit from doing what Southern did. Southern will be much stronger in the long run than it was before.

What you are suggesting though Pop is exactly what happened at TSU when they raised admission standards. We were actually nearing 12k students back when I was on the yard. When the admission standards kicked in a few years ago, we dropped well below 9k (think it was 8500 students). We are just now getting back to the larger enrollment figures. The changes to the admission standards are starting to show with the year to year retention rates and the overall GPA of the incoming freshman classes. I think it will take two more cycles to start seeing changes in the graduation rates.

S/N: Since you work at the Dept of Ed now, can you suggest a new way of tracking students? I will forever disagree with a school being penalized (retention or grad rate) for an indecisive freshman or sophomore that transfers to another school. I get being penalized for a kid that we accept who was not prepared for college or that we failed to provide the structure/resources for them to be successful. However, if a kid transfers from JSU, SU, TSU or even a PWI because that school was not for them, but stays in the higher ed system, we should not be penalized for that. I really want to see the numbers on how many kids leave HBCUs for other institutions, but still graduate. If those students no longer counted against us, then how would our graduation rates look then?

Meyers has yet to get any push back from the faculty senate or any alumni faction. That was not the case with Mason. She is doing well in the eyes of the students and the faculty.. That's HUGE. Nobody ever trusted Mason and when that Jacobs U thing came out, he made everyone look right.

From reading the NSU article, some at NSU saw Meyers hire as a coup. Her degrees are in engineering, which has nothing to do with college administration. JSU has yet to resolve the issues concerning the AD Vivian Fuller. IMO, Meyers is very responsible for what has taken place by not investigating and resolving matters in-house. She has allowed lawsuit after lawsuit to pile up against JSU. Now she might be involved in cancelling a food service contract in order to hire her daughter's company. If any of the aforementioned are true, JSU would be in some serious damage control years to come.

Her hiring in 2006 was seen as a coup, a female scientist with degrees in mechanical and chemical engineering who completed postdoctoral work at Harvard University.

Her degrees are in engineering, which has nothing to do with college administration.
The fact that her degree may be in engineering is not a negative. Heck, if she's an effective leader, her not having a degree in "college administration" shouldn't matter one bit.

From reading the NSU article, some at NSU saw Meyers hire as a coup. Her degrees are in engineering, which has nothing to do with college administration. JSU has yet to resolve the issues concerning the AD Vivian Fuller. IMO, Meyers is very responsible for what has taken place by not investigating and resolving matters in-house. She has allowed lawsuit after lawsuit to pile up against JSU. Now she might be involved in cancelling a food service contract in order to hire her daughter's company. If any of the aforementioned are true, JSU would be in some serious damage control years to come.

A LOT of college Presidents are scientists.

The Fuller situation is the ONLY thing people can try to put on Meyers but allegations are allegations. You can't fire a person over allegations. It's going to court and I bet Fuller/JSU wins.

The food service stuff is null and void. If Meyers gets in trouble so will the college board who approved the food service contract change knowing Meyers daughter had vested interest in the company.

What you are suggesting though Pop is exactly what happened at TSU when they raised admission standards. We were actually nearing 12k students back when I was on the yard. When the admission standards kicked in a few years ago, we dropped well below 9k (think it was 8500 students). We are just now getting back to the larger enrollment figures. The changes to the admission standards are starting to show with the year to year retention rates and the overall GPA of the incoming freshman classes. I think it will take two more cycles to start seeing changes in the graduation rates.

S/N: Since you work at the Dept of Ed now, can you suggest a new way of tracking students? I will forever disagree with a school being penalized (retention or grad rate) for an indecisive freshman or sophomore that transfers to another school. I get being penalized for a kid that we accept who was not prepared for college or that we failed to provide the structure/resources for them to be successful. However, if a kid transfers from JSU, SU, TSU or even a PWI because that school was not for them, but stays in the higher ed system, we should not be penalized for that. I really want to see the numbers on how many kids leave HBCUs for other institutions, but still graduate. If those students no longer counted against us, then how would our graduation rates look then?

Tell congress to allow the Department to track students and a lot of these issues would be resolved. I do wish that the Department counted a student who transfers in good academic standing as something positive.

A LOT of college Presidents are scientists.

The Fuller situation is the ONLY thing people can try to put on Meyers but allegations are allegations. You can't fire a person over allegations. It's going to court and I bet Fuller/JSU wins.

The food service stuff is null and void. If Meyers gets in trouble so will the college board who approved the food service contract change knowing Meyers daughter had vested interest in the company.

For JSU's sake, I hope you are right, but from tracking the Ray Nagin case in New Orleans, folks that you thought were on your side, would suddenly turn against you. Somehow they are able to get folks to tell the truth one way or another, especially when a person messes with money that was guarantee to others.

Is THAT all you have on Meyers? Surely you can come up with allegations more substantial than food or sports.

Excellent post! All I can say is JSU had a "creme dela creme" as President, an Ivy League school graduate, then they select someone whose main objective is dressing up and going to soical events. I'm not impressed. Also, Meyers was trying to fire Glenda Glover before she accepted the President's position at Tenn. State.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Tell congress to allow the Department to track students and a lot of these issues would be resolved. I do wish that the Department counted a student who transfers in good academic standing as something positive.

Yea I know. I have never really understood why that is that big of issue, but oh well. Que sera sera.....

:lol:
In this city and state, the only thing you have to do is be seen talking to someone not in the "accepted black click" and your labeled a sellout, uncle tom, whatever. It's the same old lines coming from a different source. :lol:

That Jacobs U study was never intended to see the light of day let alone be put into action. The Governor at the time, Haley Barbour, told every President of every University to think outside the box in terms of reforming Mississipp's college system and come up with something individually on their own new just for ideas.

It was WAPT TV16 that got wind of this because someone on the inside "made a phone call" and put this out as something Mason was trying to do. Once it hit the newscast, then the usual loud mouth ghetto bigmouths started all that "sell out, he gonna turn JSU over to white folks" talk. It was over for Mason after that. The inside click that had been working against him for 10 years finally had ammo to use and twist against him. Those mofo's never wanted mason anyway and never worked with him on anything.

Is THAT all you have on Meyers? Surely you can come up with allegations more substantial than food or sports.

Have you wrote the media, particularly The Clarion-Ledger and expressed your concerns? They seem to be the ones publishing information on pending lawsuits against JSU and possible nepotism with Meyers. I'm not the one coming up with these allegations.

OH...........BTW: :lol:

I told ya'll all these shady NORFOLK and East Coast hires would come back to bite us. We not bleeding but those lawsuits against Fuller is like a pit bull that is 1 inch away from sinking his teeth into that azz. She should have fired Fuller over a year ago. Fuller was the reason Tennessee State Athletic department went downhill in the late 1990's. Tennessee State could not run Fuller off campus fast enough when they got the chance. :lmao:

Excellent post! All I can say is JSU had a "creme dela creme" as President, an Ivy League school graduate, then they select someone whose main objective is dressing up and going to soical events. I'm not impressed. Also, Meyers was trying to fire Glenda Glover before she accepted the President's position at Tenn. State.

I think Dr. Mason saw an opportunity to get closer to his hometown (New Orleans) and become the head of the Southern University System, which comprises of five different campuses. For the Baton Rouge campus recent success, I give Chancellor Dr. Llorens credit for that.

Last edited:
To put all these rumors about Myers at NSU to rest, here is the bottom line:

Norfolk State, for a long time, had been a poorly-run institution with open enrollment. Many in the Tidewater labeled the school as a "hood school", similar to a few in our conference. When Myers came in, she attempted to clean up the university her way, which meant not being involved with the "old guard", street committee, and the alumni. She parted ways with NSU and tried a different approach at JSU, by engaging the alumni on her initial "tour" by taking a road trip to each alumni chapter in the Southeast region.

In regards to giving Mason credit for the enrollment increase, I beg to differ. Though Mason initially rode the reigns of our previous president's success, he didn't come up with many strategic marketing strategies to improve enrollment. I would attribute our increase in enrollment during his tenure from effective recruiters and buzz/indirect marketing via the success of the athletic department, the Sonic Boom being on national television several times, and a few alumni doing big things on a national stage. I honestly believe this "free i-Pad" promotion has really helped our enrollment under Myers.

For all you naysayers casting stones at "the east coast crew", meh.

...Carry On..

Carolyn Meyers does have integrity issues, she's easily persuaded by those in her circle, no one's perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolyn Meyers does have integrity issues, she's easily persuaded by those in her circle, no one's perfect.

If that is the case, that means she lacks the knowledge to fulfil her duties. Her daughter's father-in-law does the same thing to maintain his wealth. He rely on others to make business decisions for him, basically he has little to no control of his own wealth. Due to his popularity, others use his name to earn their wealth off of a particular group of people, which is the case for most Black entertainers.

Last edited:
*side eye*

At the end of the day, Carolyn Myers and her staff are the best in this conference and among HBCUs.

The End.

Back