Largest HBCUs in the Nation

Nonchalant

Hail, Hail To Thee...
http://hbculifestyle.com/largest-hbcu-top-10/

images

5. Jackson State University (JSU)
With an enrollment of just under 9,000 students, this four-year, public Mississippi college features an urban campus in the city of Jackson. Programs available include Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral degrees and certificates.

4. Texas Southern University (TSU)
On the Houston campus of this large HBCU, over 9,500 students are enrolled in Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral degrees. TSU is a public, four-year college offering on-campus housing and a city environment.

3. Howard University (HU)
Located in our nation’s capital of Washington, D.C., Howard University is the 3rd largest HBCU and boasts an enrollment of over 10,000 students. Howard University is a four-year, private, not-for-profit college, offering unique educational experiences for students enrolled in a variety of Bachelors, Post-Baccalaureate, Masters and Doctoral certificates and degrees.

2. North Carolina A&T State University (NCAT)
Located in Greensboro on a large, public, city campus, North Carolina A&T offers a range of Bachelors, Post-Baccalaureate, Masters and Doctoral degrees and certificates. The most recent data shows over 10,000 students enrolled.

1. Florida A&M University (FAMU)
Located in Tallahassee, this four-year, public college is the largest HBCU – over 12,000 students – based on the most recent available data. The mid-size city campus offers on-campus housing and has a graduation rate of 40%. Available through Florida A&M University are Associates, Bachelors, Graduate, Masters, Post-Masters and Doctoral degrees and certificates.

10. Norfolk State University (NSU)
Rounding out the list with 7,100 students, this Virginia university’s mid-size campus is urban and offers student housing. Norfolk State students can choose between an Associates, Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral degree at the four-year, public institution.

9. Morgan State University (MSU)
Located in Baltimore, Maryland on a bustling city campus, Morgan State is the 9th largest HBCU and home to over 7,900 students. Student housing is available at the four-year public university, as are Bachelors, Post-Baccalaureate, Masters and Doctoral degrees.

8. Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU)
The most rural HBCU on our list, this public, four-year Texas campus is the 8th largest HBCU and home to over 8,300 students pursuing Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral degrees.

7. North Carolina Central University (NCCU)
Located in Durham, this public, four-year college offers its 8,600 students a range of Bachelors, Post-Baccalaureate, Masters and Doctoral degrees and certificates as well as student housing.

6. Tennessee State University (TSU)
Located on a large urban campus in the musical hub of Nashville, this four-year public college is the 6th largest HBCU and home to over 8,700 students. The university offers housing as students pursue Associates, Bachelors, Post-Baccalaureate, Masters, Post-Masters and Doctoral degrees and certificates.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Are you referring to the graduation rate? If so, it's improving but will take some time.

Yeah grad rate and other outcome metrics. Still need to shred some of that dead ongoing dead weight from the open enrollment days. Accept less students for a few years to get some better numbers on the books and then slowly began to work your way back up.

There are many factors and variables that are correlated with recruitment, however, it is a fact that effective recruitment and marketing strategies are directly linked to soaring enrollment. Recently, FAMU, JSU and Norfolk completed a "Come Back Campaign" where they contacted EVERY student who had dropped out in the last 10 years to continue what they started. Students received emails, telephone calls and mail correspondences asking them to come back and yes it worked.
Location is also a factor but so are other variables.

It really has nothing to do with recruiting. Most of those schools are located in large metropolitan area.

Congrats to all of the schools listed. I agree with you all that location plays are role. If Grambling was in New Orleans, I think our numbers would be a lot larger. Same for Alcorn if they were in Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
For JSU to be in the top 5 and to be located in "Jackson" says a lot about our new recruiting programs, new-modern campus upgrades, brand-image improvements and our expansions in academic programs.

Thee iLove!

We were one of only two Universities in Mississippi to have an increase in enrollment this past fall. Everybody else saw a decline.
Good job recruiters! Good job Carolyn.

For JSU to be in the top 5 and to be located in "Jackson" says a lot about our new recruiting programs, new-modern campus upgrades, brand-image improvements and our expansions in academic programs.

Thee iLove!

We were one of only two Universities in Mississippi to have an increase in enrollment this past fall. Everybody else saw a decline.

That should be "Good job Ronald Mason", everything you posted were part of Mason's five year plan, Carolyn is just taking credit for everything, when really she has done nothing.

Well said and great explanation sir. If enrollment was based solely on location Clark Atlanta in Atlanta, Benedict College in Columbia, S.C. SU in Baton Rouge, UDC in D.C. and Bama state in Montgomery would be well over 8,000 students.

Thee iLove!

That should be "Good job Ronald Mason", everything you posted were part of Mason's five year plan, Carolyn is just taking credit for everything, when really she has done nothing.

Thank you!!!!
:clap:
That is why I laugh when I hear all this QUEEN Myers stuff and her taking all the credit. I just go along with it just to save argument time on this board. :lol:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yeah grad rate and other outcome metrics. Still need to shred some of that dead ongoing dead weight from the open enrollment days. Accept less students for a few years to get some better numbers on the books and then slowly began to work your way back up.

They were at 11K before the change, so they're probably ok. The students who are still there from open enrollment can't hurt numbers now since they are likely in their 6th year anyway. Why contract?

They were at 11K before the change, so they're probably ok. The students who are still there from open enrollment can't hurt numbers now since they are likely in their 6th year anyway. Why contract?

Speaking from personal opinion, the open enrollment years hurt their perception somewhat so the quality of the students they attract still won't be great (same problem UDC is having). I think they would benefit from doing what Southern did. Southern will be much stronger in the long run than it was before.

Speaking from personal opinion, the open enrollment years hurt their perception somewhat so the quality of the students they attract still won't be great (same problem UDC is having). I think they would benefit from doing what Southern did. Southern will be much stronger in the long run than it was before.

Problem is, we didn't accept fewer students on purpose. We just adhered to our new requirements. We hoped to still raise our enrollment (it is rising back to what it was).

Sigh.... Here we go.
I don't have the energy to go through this mason vs Meyers drama y'all be on.

I know what mason did and I know exactly what Meyers IS DOING!
Mason was my president. I know exactly what he did and I'm very appreciative of it.
He gave the campus a physical facelift. I supported mason. The end.

I'm referring to the change in recruitment and what's going on right now. That's all Carolyn (and before her it was nobody but Aaron Thompson bka NoiseTalka) lol y'all please let's not turn this into mason vs Meyers drama bullcrap :lol:
Y'all really don't know what's going on.
Stag should know because I gave the den an in depth breakdown back in the summer of 2010.
But I'm sure he wasn't paying attention bc it wasn't about Mason.

But you right. This is 100% all mason. :tup: I'm wrong for giving Carolyn props for her current actions.

Speaking from personal opinion, the open enrollment years hurt their perception somewhat so the quality of the its they attract still won't be great (same problem UDC is having). I think they would benefit from doing what Southern did. Southern will be much stronger in the long run than it was before.

I'm not sure what SU did but I know this years freshmen class had an average GPA of 3.2 and I believe 700 avg SAT. (Not sure if the SAT is correct but the numbers were impressive) The minimal entrance GPA started at 2.0 and has stair stepped to I believe is 2.8 now. Overall the quality of student is completely different and should be reflected when the new numbers are released. Trust me that is priority number one. The presidents strategy will take longer but the state is certainly impressed in the outcome.

Last edited:
From the desk of Dr. John M. Rudley...

Texas Southern University Class of 2017:
The GPA and test scores for new freshman have risen over the past six years and we now have a freshman class with a 3.0 entering GPA as well as an average 837 SAT and 17.5 ACT. Of the new freshmen, 26% of them came in with a 3.25 GPA or above.

DITTO.. my azz.

Do ya'll go out and recruit for JSU or deal with the recruitment office? When Mason was President, we used to go out and recruit, send back the info to JSU and one day... we just happened to ask what happens with the info we send back. Do you know what the response was? It goes in a database.
in a database to do what? uuuuum NOTHING.

We let the QUEEN know and she got rid of most of the people in that office, hired a VP to handle such things, fired him.. LOL brought in somebody else and some other people just for the type of recruitment SHE thinks we need. Recruitment is a BIG deal to her. No matter what Mason had on paper, he wasn't acting on it. I liked Mason but, to me, his talents was as a "politician". Meyers is more of a true President with set goals relative to enrollment, academics, staff salary, and fundraising.

The whole 'Mason vs. Meyers" argument is a silly one. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but they're good for the University overall. Why can't we just say we replaced a good leader in Mason with another one in Meyers?

I'm not sure what SU did but I know this years freshmen class had an average GPA of 3.2 and I believe 700 avg SAT. (Not sure if the SAT is correct but the numbers were impressive) The minimal entrance GPA started at 2.0 and has stair stepped to I believe is 2.8 now. Overall the quality of student is completely different and should be reflected when the new numbers are released. Trust me that is priority number one. The presidents strategy will take longer but the state is certainly impressed in the outcome.

Okay, good stuff. I am anxious to see the numbers. Texas Southern has a good chance to make some strides.

Back