JSU taking the air out

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSU/99

JSU taking the air out

Bell's offense more grounded than pass-happy attack of past
By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Jackson State quarterback Robert Kent has adjusted to the Tigers' new-look offense.

Greg Jenson / The Clarion-Ledger

Torey Ross (left) and Tim Manning combined for 117 catches last season as JSU averaged 319.9 passing yards per game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tigers' receivers

X-receiver
Name Ht. Wt. Cl.
Tim Manning 6-0 180 Sr.
Torey Ross 6-4 190 So.
Air'en Cabell 6-1 187 Fr.

Z-receiver
Name Ht. Wt. Cl.
Chris Jones 6-3 203 Jr.
Michael Johnson 5-11 180 Sr.
Tavaris Jones 6-3 195 Jr.

Tight end
Name Ht. Wt. Cl.
Courtney Rogers 6-3 240 Jr.
Kenneth Davis 6-4 210 Fr.
Johnny Neal 6-6 220 Jr.

THUMBS UP
One would be hard-pressed to find three returning receivers more productive than Manning, Jones and Ross were last season. All three could play for a lot of Division I-A teams.

THUMBS DOWN
This unit isn't nearly as deep as in recent years, except at tight end, especially now that Cletis Gordon has moved to defense. There's not a lot of proven experience behind the top three guys.

The same can't be said for the Tigers' receivers, who find themselves feeling a lot like Keyshawn Johnson did a few years ago when he was with the New York Jets.

To paraphrase Johnson: They want the dang ball.

Tim Manning, Chris Jones, Torey Ross and Co. have gone from catching the ball early and often in one of the nation's top passing offenses to rarely catching it at all as first-year head coach James Bell has placed a lot more emphasis on the run since arriving at JSU last December.

"It's really a blessing when (the ball) comes your way now," Ross said. "It makes me feel like I'm back at Provine."

JSU receiver Tim Manning, also a Provine alum, concurs.

"You know Coach (Willie) Collins," Manning said, smiling. "He liked to run the ball, too. I think we only had three pass plays. We had 88 pass, 77-O and fake counter trey left pass right. That was about it."

With one of the top returning quarterbacks and one of top receiving corps in Division I-AA returning ? coupled with the fact that JSU lost its top two backs as well as three key offensive linemen ? most figured the Tigers would go to the air often again this season.

That still may turn out to be the case, as Bell has promised to open up the offense in time. However, with JSU's season opener at Northwestern (La.) State a week away, there's been little proof of that. Even when the Tigers have passed the ball in practice, most of the passes have been of the shorter variety.

"We're waiting on it patiently," Ross said. "It seems like we're slowly but surely putting more things in. We'll know more after the first game. Right now, I'm just trying to keep the right attitude; you don't want to go crazy."

When asked to compare this year's offense to last year's offense, Ross, last year's SWAC Freshman of the Year, replied:

"It's like going from a (Mercedes) Benz to a Hooptie ? with no rims."

JSU wide receivers coach Robert Kelly has been preaching patience, patience, patience.

"I keep telling them it's coming," Kelly said. "We're going to run the ball, but we're not going to run it all the time. Coach Bell believes in a balanced offense. They've still got to continue to do the things they need to do to prepare themselves.

"It's one of those situations where if they didn't want the ball, I would question them also."

Less passing and catching drills in practice has meant more blocking. "I'm back to chasing defensive backs instead of them chasing us," said Manning, a second-team All-SWAC pick last season.

It has also upped the frustration level of the receivers, who have begun staying after practice to get in more reps with Kent and backup quarterback Brian Green.

"It's been a big difference," Manning said. "In the past, we worked on it constantly. The more you work on something the better you get at it. It's like a swimmer. If he doesn't swim for a long time, he's going to be rusty. He's not going to have his breath like he used to."

JSU ranked first in the nation (I-AA) in total offense (485.5 ypg.), second in passing offense (319.9 ypg.) and averaged 30 points per game last season.

Manning, Jones, Ross and Cletis Gordon, who recently moved to defense, combined for 201 catches, 3,068 yards and 28 touchdowns last season. Jones caught three touchdown passes in one quarter alone against North Carolina A&T.

Manning had 66 catches, Jones 57 and Ross 51.

"I don't see that happening this year," Ross said. "I see more like 10."

JSU quarterback Robert Kent senses his receivers' frustrations.

"Everything's going to be OK," Kent said. "I think our offensive coordinator (Leon Perry) would probably like to see us throw it more, but Coach Bell likes to run it. I think we're all trying to come up with a happy medium."

That would suit Manning fine.

"I'm not really worried about it too much," Manning said. "The plays will come, we've just to be ready when they do. If other teams put more people in the box to stop the run, that's going to open up the pass. So it's a two-way street."

Send this article as a postcard

I think these guys better be careful about what they say in public. These receivers are probably getting dangerously close to pissing off the coaches for not showing faith in what they are trying to teach.

Let the coaches do what they are paid to do. This team could have morale problems if they start losing games because of the "run first" philoshophy of Bell.

Didn't Bell's high school team also have morale problems from losing all those games? (that team had a winning record the year before he got there too, didnt they?)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Morale isn't a problem with this team. I know for a fact that the guys have bought into the new system, because the new offense is better for the team as a whole. Virtually all of the skill position players, especially the RBs, TEs plus OL, prefer this new system over the old one. You won't see 3 recievers with 50+ catches this year, but you will see more production from our TEs and Rbs. I think what you see with Ross is frustration over going from All-SWAC to back-up.

If JSU loses to Northwestern and/or A&T, will the players accept the loss(es) as "better team on that given saturday", or will they blame Bell's new system?

I can see these guys thinking "if the coach would just let us air it out like last year..."

Good luck next saturday.

Originally posted by A&T Brandmasta
If JSU loses to Northwestern and/or A&T, will the players accept the loss(es) as "better team on that given saturday", or will they blame Bell's new system?

I can see these guys thinking "if the coach would just let us air it out like last year..."

Good luck next saturday.

Maybe they would have a beef if airing it out had lead to championships the past 3 years. But it hasn't. All of that isn't the fault of defense and special teams, the offense is too blame as well, especially last year. Some of the players(and fans) will blame the new system if we aren't successful this year. but that come with the territory when you hire a new coach.

This is probably why all The Chavez players were acting a damn fool on the sidelines in the game I watched.

I don't think Bell is good at getting his team on the same page with him. It can't be a coinidence that the Chavez players all hated him and now it seems the JSU players think he is a idiot for changing the top rated offense in 1-AA.

If it ain't broke dont fix it.

Originally posted by bornthrilla

BL, did Hughes pay you to say that, cause that sounds like one of his lines use to describe our special teams last year.

If anything, just fine-tune the offense. Get Kent to stop throwing all those picks, and work on fundamentals with the O-line.

How do you switch to a running attack when your top 2 backs are gone, and have never run a "run-first" offense before?

That's almost as silly as A&T going to a "pass happy" offense. This season could get ugly for the home team.

Originally posted by bornthrilla
This is probably why all The Chavez players were acting a damn fool on the sidelines in the game I watched.

I don't think Bell is good at getting his team on the same page with him. It can't be a coinidence that the Chavez players all hated him and now it seems the JSU players think he is a idiot for changing the top rated offense in 1-AA.

Speak about what you know, kid.

to borrow a phrase from GR.....

This gon end real ugly.

If Bell's offense struggles the first few weeks, it's gonna be on!!!

kinda "strange" anyway that he would make a lot of changes to an offense that was one of the top ones in 1AA. Especially considering he had NO RBs!!!!

lmao@hooptie, with no rims!!!
:lmao::lmao:

Y'all gone learn real soon that we don't need 4-5 WRs to move the ball and score.

Forgive us for trying to utilize our players better.

Bell is your worst nightmare, MH. The sad thing is that you all have no clue what you are talking about. Also, whether we win this year or not, this change was needed. I think we are about to see some great things at JSU. We believe in Bell and whether you all believe it or not, so do his players. The only change he is making is lowering the number of passes, increasing the running game, working more on special teams, and adding speed and height to the defense. That sounds like football to me.

no use in trying to act like everybody on your team is satisfied with Bell's offense. That's not the case and this article is just the latest proof of it.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you struggle early, what's gonna happen!

too bad that Bell has weakened the absolute strongest part of your team and tried to make them something they're not.

...and yall thought Hughes was under pressure before JSU ran him out of town. Bell is about to feel the heat if this new offense doesnt work.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
mh,

I hope you understand that not everybody is gonna be happy with any coach. And when a new coach comes, obviously there will be some disgruntled players. And IF we do poorly out of the gate, the players ain't gone be the only ones upset.

When the team wins, everyone is gonna be happy.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
no use in trying to act like everybody on your team is satisfied with Bell's offense. That's not the case and this article is just the latest proof of it.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you struggle early, what's gonna happen!

too bad that Bell has weakened the absolute strongest part of your team and tried to make them something they're not.

You guys act like having a balanced offense is a new concept. Before our o-line broke down in 2000, Shannon ran two wideouts, a TE, tailback and a fullback in most of his sets. We ran that in 1999 and sent Morris to the NFL. We won SWAC titles in 95 and 96 with that offense. You all are acting like this is something new to JSU. We had our best seasons running a balanced offense. We have had some of our worst going 4-5 wide. A balanced offense is going to destroy the sorry DC's in the SWAC. You all just don't know how stupid you sound. ONLY the WR's are going to be upset with this. How do you think our RB's felt when Asberry made them secondary to the receivers. Look at what is happening to Grambling...read their thread on the game and note how sooooo many people are saying that they need a balanced offense. Yet when JSU does just that, Bell is stupid. Bell just don't give a dayum about what you Coons's think. He knows football and will revolutionize coaching in the SWAC.

if only you had RBs....

if only you weren't sacrificing the top offense from a year ago for what you're trying now

and save this stuff about everybody being on one accord on your team. Their not

If you flop early on, I wonder just how long you will pretend to act like everybody likes Bell's offense

but for now, carry on with the pretense. May not have long doing that.

Its really sad that you guys are so ignorant. We've posted articles on every position on the team. And in all of them, every comment about Bell(including those from Kent) has been 100% positive. One back-up WR voices displeasure at the new system, and now you guys think all hell is breaking loose. There are 3 parts to the team, Bell and his staff are committed to all of them.

Do you think that one WR is the only one not happy with the new offfense?

Dude, we know what's going on with the team. TP explained in detail why this new offense is better for the team as a whole. If you can't comprehend that, what else can I say?

Do you think that one WR is the only one not happy with the new offfense?
Who cares what they are happy with. Let them leave if they don't like it. Bell runs the football program not 18 and 20 year olds. This is what we have had a problem with in the past and this is a problem throughout BCF. We need stern coaches. Bell believes in himself and the kids see that. If he backs down and gives them what they want, then that will go out the window.

MH, what matters if we have RB's or not? That is so dumb of you to say. That is why Bell has focused on that so much. Bell has focused on the weaknesses so that Kent can get some help. Bell wants a football that can do everything and do them all well. That won't happen this year but if these young o-linemen learn how to run block, every team in BCF is in trouble.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Who cares what they are happy with. Let them leave if they don't like it. Bell runs the football program not 18 and 20 year olds.

That's so dumb! If your players don't buy into it, it's a problem. Bell, or any other coach in the world, can have the best laid plans, the best scheme, the best system in the world, but if your players don't buy it, it aint gon work. Further, those plans and schemes don't work, when you don't have players for that system. You just cant come in and think that a new plan gon work, when you got the same players. It's even dumber considering that your offense was your strong suit. Seems Bell is hellbent on his system, regardless of the players who have to play..

MH, what matters if we have RB's or not? That is so dumb of you to say.
It matters cause Bell has said that you'll be a running team. Usually a running team needs RBs!!!!!
:scared:

Bell wants a football that can do everything and do them all well. That won't happen this year but if these young o-linemen learn how to run block, every team in BCF is in trouble.
Sounds like you aint bought into that system yourself.

The season starts next week, and you're saying "if" you learn how to run block.

Like I said earlier, if this offense struggles early on, :confused:

and also, if it struggles and Bell's changes the offense, will he be "backing down"

None of what you say makes sense. Bell and staff is simply putting in a more balanced offense. The kids(despite what Ross said or you believe) have bought into the new offense. That is fact. Since you look for any negatives you can find in our program, I know anything Bell does will be bad in your eyes. That's fine, I expect that of you. What you fail to realize is everyone associated with JSU, even those who disagree with the new offense, is 100% with Bell and the direction he's taken the program thus far. Fans and players hated W.C. Gordon's offense, but no one argued with the results he put on the field.

Personally, If our program was a big of mess as yours, I'd spend less time worrying about others.

I could see if JSU had a terrible offense last year. That was their only strength.

Why someone would want to come in and change the one thing that JSU was the best in, just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Actually it does make sense. This offense is the only one that JSu's new OC knows. All he did was coach running backs at UGA and he probably couldn't design a passing offense if his life depended on it. Bell has spent most of his career as a DC, so he doesn't have a clue either.

This is why Chavez went five weeks without scoring a single point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back