JSU new defense stops Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegooddoctor

The new defensive coordinator has the the JSU defense playing aggresively and with coinfidence as evidenced by limiting the offense to one TD this past Friday.

The Tigers will also feature two new weapons this fall with the addition of two Div. I transfers, RB Jeff Sanders from Tulane and QB Allen Tillman from Auburn. Both players are former Mississippi Dandy Dozens. Allen will probably play wide receiver.

Early predictions have the Tigers as favorites to win the SWAC this year. Tigers are loaded and have the conference #1 qb in Robert Kent. If healthy, Kent will put points on the board.

Maybe this is why there has been little talking from the JSU Mafia.:bawling:

Maybe this is why there has been little talking from the JSU Mafia.

What are you talking about, it sounds like good news to me. All we want to do is get the defense straight. The last thing on our mind is if we can score points.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Tillman is a good pick-up. He got beat out by a fellow Sippian at Auburn Jason Campbell. I think Tillman was a Dandy Dozen player 3 years ago. I wondered if he would stay at Auburn afte Campell showed up the year after him. I wish him luck. He will push for the backup spot. This kid can play. He should have 2 years left.

I expect JSU defense to be better. I think they are overconfident on offense just because Kent is back. I think they will miss TC Taylor and Story more than they realize. Especially Taylor. He and Story caused match up problems for Dbs with their height and with TC's speed. Time will tell.

JR,

Like RAWRAY said, it's all about getting that defense on point. And special teams, particularly when the kicker come in this fall. As for the WR position, never a worry kid. Two starters are back and Chris Jones will go down as the best we've had at that position to date.

The offense will score. We just need a better than average defense and special teams.

JR,

Tillman won't be playing QB. He will play receiver. We have four QB's. If he wanted to play QB, he should have gone to SU, AAMU, AlaState.....well any school in the SWAC aside from JSU and Alcorn.

GD,

If you want to, you could use your third paragraph as your signature. If not, Mighty Hornet or Bornthrilla might steal.

Mafia, do you smell the fear??

Then he was dumb to come to JSU. He could have stayed at Auburn and done the same. Since JSU is WR U, then how is he going to get playing time at that position. I can't believe a kid who was recruited to play QB would transfer down to 1-AA to play WR. He could have done like Anquan Boldin did at FSU, switch to WR. Hell Auburn WRs corp is probably not as deep as JSU's. I think you are being misinformed. No way Hughes and company can not look at this kid as a possible backup Qb to Kent.

Like I said if he transferred to a 1-AA school to play WR when he was a QB at a 1A school then something is wrong. At least BJ Tiger got a shot to play Qb at Bama State, before moving to WR. I am sure Tiger is in the mix for the QB spot at Bama St for the upcoming year. MH can you answer that? You are right Tillman probably should have transferred to another SWAC school, because he will not beat Kent out, but I would give him a shot at second string at least.

I am surprised Cole or AAMU didn't try to get him over there. Oh well I wish him luck, but I would have stayed at Auburn to play WR. At least the coaches knew what talent he had. Now he has to prove he can play WR at JSU. That isn't a sure spot for him either. He might be better than your back-up Qbs if you give him a chance.

Meanwhile, former Provine running back Jeff Sanders, who was a freshman at Tulane last season, is transferring to JSU. He will join the Tigers this fall. Sanders, a former Dandy Dozen and All-Metro pick, rushed for 1,914 yards and 24 touchdowns as a junior.

Former Newton High quarterback Allen Tillman is still planning on transferring from Auburn to JSU. The former Dandy Dozen and All-State pick is expected to join the Tigers this fall provided he completes the necessary summer school hours. Tillman has said he wants to play receiver at JSU.

JR,

If he is an athlete, you don't want him on the bench until the fourth quarter. Our WR corp is deep but it is young and we rotate those guys in and out in multiple sets.

He still won't come in and start ahead of Jacobs, Manning, or Jones. If he starts, it will be because Goss went pro in baseball. We have third string receivers who would ....well this ain't the smack board (but you know the rest).

TP,
I forgot about Goss possibly going to play baseball. Well I still think you guys should give him a shot to play a little Qb. Especially since he is an athlete. Just my opinion. I wonder if Auburn will try to convince him to stay and make the switch to WR there. They are hurting more than JSU at the WR position. Sanders I can understand. He has alot of ball left to play and can wait until Tarnarka and Trey graduate to take over at JSU. Tillman on the other hand has only a couple years left and is going to have to fight for playing time at JSU. I wish him luck if he transfers to JSU, but if I was him I would be like Casey Printers and go somewhere I can start right away. That is the reason you transfer isn't it? If he wants to play WR and he can't beat out Auburn's sad azz WRs then he is going to struggle to play at JSU too. Again just my opinion.

it seems like only faithful PV followers and JSU fans know the value of Greg Johnson

I don't think most folks totally think Johnson can't coach, I think what it was is that he had to coach at the HS level after leaving PV. One would have thought he could have got a job somewhere in college ball(look at Cooper or Cooley). So it makes you wonder why it took JSU to find him. Why did the other schools not contact him. Just my opinion though. We will see how much difference he makes early on. JSU has a rough schedule right out the gate. So Johnson's schemes will be tested. If he does well, then he will be back in the mix for a head coaching job soon.

A BRIEF HISTORY LESSON

For those of you who think Tillman might play QB, all I ask is for you to look at Brian Darden. Darden was a big time recruit that came from Tennessee. Everyone thought he was going to move Destry out, but it never happened. For him to see the field he had to play defense. Big Time recruits just don't show up at JSU and get a position handed to them, they have to earn it.

I hope they find a spot for him and Sanders. I would like to see them on defense, especially Sanders until Tarnaka leaves. Sanders is better than White...but he did play a lot o safery while in high school.... so ship him over there for a year since thats what we need right now.

I tried to tell yall that the defense is on point. But you thought I was just smacking. It takes somebody white to tell you before you believe it. And they are hitting hard too. It takes all the restraint they have not to lay Kent out. But Tarnaka got his lights taken out by McGowan. I tried to tell you....but if you like, ask Dwight Man.

BTW,

Rumor has it that Goss is as good as gone. But I think JSU is the only school that can say seeeeya to a dandy dozen player. Man we are deeep at WR and these kids aint playin. The competition is fierce.

JR

These kids read the paper, they have relatives, the have common sense (is that right robber?). This kid knows he is not going to make it to the next level as a QB. He wants to go to the league as a WR. So what does he do? He comes to the school with the best QB in the country that can put him there. He might not understand the level of comptetion, but he will give it a shot. If he doesnt get a lot of PT this year, then maybe next year.....just like TC.

Now...whats that you were saying about it being a down year at WR for JSU?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Rawray,
But JSU did give Darden a shot at RB. Plus didn't he have some issues too, that caused JSU coaches to kind of sour on him. I can't remember, but he was not living up to the expectations of the coaches. Plus Destry was better than him. Read what I said. I didn't say Tillman would play Qb at Kent's expense. He is not on Kent's level. If he coudn't beat Campbell out at Auburn, I know he can't beat Kent. Kent is way better than Campbell. That kid gets rattled. I just thought maybe Tillman might get a shot as a backup. I still think he will have a hard time beating out any of your WR's that are there. Since he has not played WR and does not know the JSU system. I can't see him moving any of those WRs out. You guys see your practices. Do you honestly think Tillman can unseat one of your WRs?

GR,
I hear ya talking. Sanders will get some PT I believe. That kid can play. TC is a better athlete than Tillman, so the transition was easy for him, plus since he had played QB in your system he knew better than anyone where he needed to be as a WR to make a play work. I am a TC the WR fan. He WILL play in the NFL. I look for him to make it and Story to struggle if make it at all. We'll see how your WRs pan out. I didn't say your coupboard was bare, but losing TC, Story, and possibly Goss does hurt some. Just on experience factor alone. Even you have to agree on that. Experience does count for at least 2-3 wins a year if not more.

JR....

Hear me when I tell you this....We will not miss Goss ONE IOTA....NO NOT ONE. We have 4 kids waiting on that spot that are faster and maybe better, plus they work hard. Im not kidding.

You have a point about TC already being a QB. The jury is out on Tillman...I surely am not about to jump on his band wagon until he gets those 12 hours and actually shows up.

Sanders should be a CB or SS until 2003. We are already 4 deep at RB for now. He should go thru a spring before being an RB. It took Tarnaka 4 games before he stopped bumping into Kent trying to hand the ball off.

Surely we will miss TC, but Manning will make up for that loss. Since Story had an injury filled year(the excuse anyway) I think Jones will step right in and do a better job. He should have started last year.

There shouldnt be a fall of....My theory is they will be better.

GR,
You are right about the practice time. Well I am sure Kent will have to break Tillman in on the timing, so I would bet you don't see Tillman until later in the season. Hayes was the same way at SU when he first got there. Took him awhile to adjust to the system. Remember he barely played against JSU in the first meeting in 99. So I agree with you on the need to get familar.

Yeah I forgot Sanders can play both sides of the ball. He may opt to stay on defense if he can play right away. I wonder why he left. Tulane's Rb was a Sr last year. I can't imagine another back beating Sanders out. Oh well life at the PWC. Should be interesting to see how it unfolds. You really should not count on transfers anway. So we agree on that. Even though you dog Pete on recruiting, I have been pleased with the last 2 classes of recruits. Hayes has been the only transfer to really become a star at SU.

I dog Richardson on recruiting, yall dog Hughes coaching....To tell the truth they bot are what and what. Neither one is as good as their coordianators. I give Hughes the edge because he at least can recruit. Just look at who your QBs and RBS are and then look at ours.

fyi...Tulane's Mewelde Moore is a junior. He's just been a starter since his freshman year. I've heard that he is considering devoting the next two years to baseball (he plays summers with the Padres organization) to see if he can make the major league.

If that doesn't work out, he'll give pro football a chance. The kid is tired of getting beaten up on a Tulane team that doesn't win.
Plus he really wants to play wide receiver (the position he played from youth league til his junior year).

You know...

I would be happy as hell to see Sanders and Tillman sit the bench because of what is already at JSU. Not that I am hatin' on these guys, but because as I tell kids everyday, if you have talent, it'll show no matter where you go. Now development? That's another issue.

JSU has a right to be smug with those great pickups, but as JR stated, not many kids who transferred from Div. 1A schools have made much of a difference at the Div. 1AA level, especially in the SWAC.

But, as with everybody else, it's all on paper....

Is it August yet?

Who started this myth that JSU had all these talented Qbs on their roster?

For instance: who was that bum who started the UAPB game for ya'll? He was so sorry Kent had to limp back into the game midway in the second half just to salvage the victory. If your backups were even halfway decent they would have been able to give Kent a rest down the stretch and not force him play injured against scrub teams (allegedly).

No JSU quarterback besides Kent throw a touchdown pass, completed more than 32 percent of their passes, or completd a pass for more than 21 yards. No JSU quarterback besides Kent averaged more than 17 yards per game last season.

BTW: JSU loses four of their top six receivers from last year.

TC, Story, Goss, and Travis- all gone.

Besides Manning, nobody else returning this season can be considered a proven big play receiver yet.

Chris Jones only caught 12 passes and 0 tochdowns last year. Crossley only a had six catches for 59 yards and 1 touchdown. Jacobs had 19 catches, but only two TDs. So did Jacobs.

I'm not saying these guys aren't potentially talented, but the jury is very much still out on them.

Thrilla,

Did our 6th best receiver have more yards than your best reciever? Without looking, I would say yes. I would almost bet that Manning did. What was he, like 4th on the JSU list of receivers??

TP, thrilla is tryin to find some excuse to make to cover his fears. He really dreads that we are comin to that cow pasture in September to imbarrass them this year. Dont worry though thrilla, cause we are bring our J-Settes. They can keep your mind occupied while our team commence to layin lashes on that backside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back