James Bell on his way out the door

Franchione will be given some room to grow since he is a proven coach. He was a proven winner at his last 2 stops, so people believe its just a matter of time before he turns the program around. Bell on the other hand hasnt proven he can win as a head coach, plus he pissed away any good will the alumni had for him with his attitude. Patience is wearing thin a whole lot quicker because of his attitude. Plus, add the fact that he can't coach worth a dayum, and wont take credit for his incompetence.

Somebody told me they saw LC Cole and Kent Schoolfield in some track warmup gear getting ready to race each other to Jackson,Ms.:argue2: :licky: :bowdown: :slap: :argue: :wavey:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
James Bell???

I would like to see some opinions on if he is going to be fired. He deserves to be stood in front of a firing squad and put to death!!! The worst coach in HISTORY!! This is the worst record in JSU history since they starting recording in 1947!!! I bet coach Hughes is at home laughing it up right about now. Although he went 7-4 his last season I think JSU needed to go in a different direction. But not this one. We went from potential contenders to cellar dwellar pretenders. I am sick to my stomach to see JSU look this bad!!! Does he stay or do we kick him out of Jack-town??:confused: :bawling: :eek2: :bawling: :bawling:

Re: James Bell???

Originally posted by JSU4life
I would like to see some opinions on if he is going to be fired. He deserves to be stood in front of a firing squad and put to death!!! The worst coach in HISTORY!! This is the worst record in JSU history since they starting recording in 1947!!! I bet coach Hughes is at home laughing it up right about now. Although he went 7-4 his last season I think JSU needed to go in a different direction. But not this one. We went from potential contenders to cellar dwellar pretenders. I am sick to my stomach to see JSU look this bad!!! Does he stay or do we kick him out of Jack-town??:confused: :bawling: :eek2: :bawling: :bawling:
Obviously, you haven't read today's Clarion-Ledger.

Re: Re: James Bell???

Originally posted by Robber
Obviously, you haven't read today's Clarion-Ledger.

Fashion statement

One of the hottest selling items outside Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium Saturday was t-shirts reading "To Hell with Bell."

Bell's seat already warming

By Mike Christensen
mchristensen@clarionledger.com

If there is a bright side today for Jackson State, it would be this: It can't get any worse. Can it?

The Tigers finished their most awful season ever with an awful loss at home to their archrival.

Alcorn State's 49-25 victory Saturday before 45,000 at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium dropped the Tigers to 2-10.

They finished 2-5 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference. They lost their last seven games. Alcorn hadn't beaten the Tigers in nine years, not since Steve McNair's senior season.

Mercifully, this nightmare is over for first-year Tigers coach James Bell.

Or is it just beginning?

There is no grace period for coaches anymore. Fans and administrators want to win and they want to win now.

Bell, who took over a program that had posted nine straight winning seasons, has been on a hot seat almost from the start.

The howling of the wolves, including some in the media, was at a fever pitch by the time the Tigers hit 0-3 and has abated little in the weeks since.

"It's not what I expected,'' Bell said of this season. "It's less than I expected. There are some things that you can't control, and you try to adapt.

"I work on the things I can control.''

Maybe there is lesson in what has transpired at Alcorn over the past four years.

Johnny Thomas' third team on the Reservation went 0-11. His record at that point was 8-24. Fans and media called for his head.

But Alcorn's administration stayed the course, and Thomas has now posted three straight winning seasons.

"I never did have a monkey on my back,'' Thomas said. "When you're rebuilding a program, there are growing pains.

"It's not original to me. It's something everybody goes through. You have to bring in people who can get the job done according to your philosophy.''

Judging by Saturday's game, Bell has much work to do in that area. The Tigers were bad in just about every phase.

Robert Kent, the school's career passing leader, went out with a whimper. He was 17-for-39 for 194 yards with three interceptions, though to be fair, he was hounded virtually every time he tried to throw.

The running game that Bell has tried so hard to establish managed 117 net yards, 44 of that coming from Kent's scrambles.

Granted the Tigers' defense has been weakened by injuries. But Alcorn thoroughly embarrassed them with an imaginative attack spawned by ex-JSU quarterback John McKenzie, the Braves' offensive coordinator.

The Braves used reverses and flea-flickers but also plain, old-fashioned, up-the-gut running plays. They ran for 366 yards, passed for 259.

"We pretty much did what we wanted on offense,'' Thomas said.

But Thomas wasn't gloating. He said he and Bell are on friendly terms and he empathizes with what the JSU coach is experiencing.

Bell loses Kent and receiver Tim Manning, both pro prospects, among others.

Bell's first recruiting effort yielded just eight players, only two of whom played this fall. He'll certainly need a more significant haul in February.

In the crypt-like JSU interview room beneath the massive stadium Saturday, Bell promised better things next year: "We'll be bigger, stronger, faster."

That's all well and good, but it had better translate to more wins on the field. JSU's administration may not have the patience Alcorn's showed with Thomas.

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0311/23/tmike.html

Culberson: Bell will be back for 2004 season

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

James Bell is expected to return as Jackson State's football coach next season despite the Tigers' 2-10 record in his first season.

Bell has two years remaining on a contract that pays him $85,000 per year.

"Coach Bell is under contract. He has another two years left," JSU athletic director Roy Culberson said. "We look forward to him being back next season."

Culberson's statement, made before Saturday's season-ending 49-25 loss to archrival Jackson State, came just one day after JSU president Ronald Mason Jr. told the advisory board Bell would be back as head coach next season.

JSU had its first losing season since 1984, suffered the most losses in a season in the program's tradition-rich history and finished the season with seven straight losses under Bell, who is now 3-19 as a head coach.

"We'll go through an evaluation period and go over the entire year," Culberson said. "We'll discuss the things that went wrong and try to come up with ways to eliminate some of the mistakes we made this season

Culberson is going to have a tough time getting rid of Bell, even when his contract is up. They are too close.

editsmily.gif
Sorry all of that is in essence..smack

moderation hateration :(

Originally posted by A&T Brandmasta
Culberson is going to have a tough time getting rid of Bell, even when his contract is up. They are too close.

See, thats why you should never hire relativies and close friends in the first place. But thats just my opinion.

"Coach Bell is under contract. He has another two years left," JSU athletic director Roy Culberson said. "We look forward to him being back next season."

This is tragic. :eek2:

Originally posted by TSU/BAMA
See, thats why you should never hire relativies and close friends in the first place. But thats just my opinion.

I basically agree. If one does hire a friend or relative, then they had better make sure that the friend or relative does not put up with any foolishness.

Please tell me

what is gained by keeping Bell around for another year? Do you even think Bell is going to recruit with any success after a 2-10 season? He has no history of being able to handle a head coaching position. It's better to cut your loses and eat the contract.

Lamont

You simply cannot fire a man after one year. Coaching is not Bell's problem. These last two games, the players had nothing to play for ...and we are just not as talented as we were when we first started the season. Sure, Bell was left with 14 starters (16 if you include kickers) but those were 7-4 starters who played a tougher schedule this year and did not have the support of the talented seniors who graduated last year. Hughes did not recruit talent....now Bell is left with some athletes that are not onjsu'slevel. Give Bell some time...people also forget that we lost at least 7 of our starters our defense when the weakest spots on our team were already the D-line (due to graduation and defections) and the secondary. Then we have poor kickers. This is Hughes team. Bell lost with Hughes players and he should not get the Blame for that....just as Hughes went 9-3 with Big Daddy's players.

Bell is gonna make all of you forget this season real soon.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
You simply cannot fire a man after one year. Coaching is not Bell's problem. These last two games, the players had nothing to play for ...and we are just not as talented as we were when we first started the season. Sure, Bell was left with 14 starters (16 if you include kickers) but those were 7-4 starters who played a tougher schedule this year and did not have the support of the talented seniors who graduated last year. Hughes did not recruit talent....now Bell is left with some athletes that are not onjsu'slevel. Give Bell some time...people also forget that we lost at least 7 of our starters our defense when the weakest spots on our team were already the D-line (due to graduation and defections) and the secondary. Then we have poor kickers. This is Hughes team. Bell lost with Hughes players and he should not get the Blame for that....just as Hughes went 9-3 with Big Daddy's players.

Bell is gonna make all of you forget this season real soon.

:lmao: No he won't. He will lose again next year. It may be worse. SMH@TP comments. Bell aint no Head Coach. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Doug won with a depleted Eddie Robinson squad.
Coe won with LC Coles players and the turmoil.
Pete came in and won with Kimble and Casems players.
Jones won last year win Cooper's players.

Just face it. Bell can't coach. Simple as that.

Yes the hell you can. If you can't produce wins with the best quaterback this school has ever had, what makes you think he can win with average talent.

What the hell you mean, nothing to play for. Alcorn is your biggest rival. NO matter what the record is for SU-Grambling, they are ready to play every year. If a coach cannot get his team up for a rivalry game, you got big problems. <br>With bell, JSU will be the PV of the east.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Lewis
What the hell you mean, nothing to play for. Alcorn is your biggest rival. NO matter what the record is for SU-Grambling, they are ready to play every year. If a coach cannot get his team up for a rivalry game, you got big problems. <br>With bell, JSU will be the PV of the east.

JSU is not Gram or SU.. we are champions, we don't take the consolation prize...besides, this year, Alcorn was just better than us. We did not have the horses in 2003....that is Hughes fault.

Do you really think

that is Hughes was coaching that JSU would have gone 2-10? In the spring, Bell stated that "there was a lot of talent here" after the Spring Game - as quoted in BVQ. Now you're saying there are no players???

Hughes would have AT LEAST gone 7-5 (and still been the subject of howling by JSU fans). Bell has taken JSU to the WORST record IN HISTORY. (He's already made the JSU all-time records after one season).

And let's be clear: there's NOTHING to hang your hat on. The team didn't look well and indeed they digressed as the season went on. They didn't buy into the system. Please, if Bell is around next year, expect more than 20 defections to other schools. In fact, if Bell brings back more than 25 players after this season, it will be a minor miracle. And remember, if he has that many defections, you can COUNT ON another VERY LONG season.

It's time to end this death cycle before it becomes ingrained.

LaMont

Bell can't coach, period! JSU is doomed. Culberson and Mason should both be fired for this fiasco of a season.

Originally posted by JSUII
Bell can't coach, period! JSU is doomed. Culberson and Mason should both be fired for this fiasco of a season.

For some reason, tp feels otherwise. Are you sure you can't help him JSUII?

Originally posted by sop83
Bell's high school play calling did not help him a Chavez, and it won't help him at JSU.

What was Chavez's High record this year, after Bell left?

Im with TP!....BELL should have a great recruiting season this year even though he went 2-10!!!! many high school players will look past the previous 2 records and realize that he has real D-1A coaching experience! I heard through the grapevine that BELL is recruiting heavily in Mississippi and should land some D1 prospects.....

Back