James Bell on his way out the door

bighusky00

Future Athletic Director
I just got in from the game. Some interesting things occured on the field and in the press box following the game. James Bell head coach at Jackson State stood about 30 feet away from me on the field. The JSU announcer requesting an interview, Bell then turned to him and gives him the bird and keeps walkin off the field. The announcer comes to a group of Fans near the 30 yard line and begins grumbling about how everybody in the athletics department and alumni hates Bell and wants him gone. The announcer says to me personally that he doesnt think Bell will make it passed the November 23. The last day of JSU's season. He also told us how this was not the first occasion he has acted a total @ss to the media or alumni. On several occasions he has shown this attitude. Lots think hes gone and I tend to agree. Commentator also says that they ( alumni and staff) will make up a reason to fire him, to correct a mistake they made from the beginning.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by bighusky00

The JSU announcer requesting an interview, Bell then turned to him and gives him the bird and keeps walkin off the field.

"Y'all can keep your Black College Football!!!"

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Y'all??

Bell is going nowhere.

a honest question considering all the things that are being report.....

If you were in charge would you consider making a change with the head coach? elaborate pls?

Originally posted by bighusky00
Commentator also says that they ( alumni and staff) will make up a reason to fire him, to correct a mistake they made from the beginning.

:lmao:

Why would they have to make up an excuse? :confused:

Originally posted by Fiyah
a honest question considering all the things that are being report.....

If you were in charge would you consider making a change with the head coach? elaborate pls?

A decision does not need to be made on James Bell until the about this time two years from now.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Tigerpride
A decision does not need to be made on James Bell until the about this time two years from now.

I was hoping for a honest answer but that doesn't seem to be forthcoming(no smack intended). I understand about contractual decisions but looking from the outside it seems like the program has taken a turn for the worst with the way he (Bell) deals with the Alumni, players and the schools media. Looking at the way ya'll have always prided yourselves on being a great supporter of the program over the years, you can see that the program is hurt just by looking at the attendance numbers. No matter how bad your team does, homecoming is usually one of the best attended games of the year.

I would have expected a response that would say I would keep him but letting him know that he must get back to being responsive to the alumni and media the way he was in the beginning of his tenure. I remember seeing somewhere on the board about how he would take that extra step to talk with the alumni, where is that extra step now.

I know you have to keep family business......family business but I was hoping for a REAL response.

Exactly. This situation has officially spun out of control.

Four weeks ago, I thought he should be given another year to sort things out. Today, I'm not sure he shouldn't be summarily fired once the year is done.

The problem, of course, is money. That probably assures his return for another year. No SWAC school can afford to eat that kind of contract.

Originally posted by Sniper
And how did you come to this conclsion? Thats new to me, and I'm in the Boom.

From what we were told, the Boom didn't go to AAMU due to slow ticket sales. The band gets a percentage of the money that the athletic program gets. The Boom's budget is based on the athletic department's budget. If the department isn't making money, then the band is going to feel the crunch, too.
Since the ticket sales are slow, the department is running low on money for football and the Boom couldn't go to Huntsville.

Originally posted by Alcorn Warrior
From what we were told, the Boom didn't go to AAMU due to slow ticket sales. The band gets a percentage of the money that the athletic program gets. The Boom's budget is based on the athletic department's budget. If the department isn't making money, then the band is going to feel the crunch, too.
Since the ticket sales are slow, the department is running low on money for football and the Boom couldn't go to Huntsville.

I dont know about that Alcorn Warrior, and I'm speaking from my profession which is an Accountant ya know. The budget that JSU is on was based off ticket revenue that was earned during the fiscal year 2002(last football season)....so was ticket sales down last year? Revenue that is "presently" earned will be factored into the 04 budget, so if sales is down like yall are saying(I dunno?), then things could get worse; that is if this is the main source of income for the athletic department....but I dont believe that though.

"Snake"

He is right, the lack of attendance is affecting the budget. They did not meet their projected forecast.

Look, it doesn't take an accountant's degree to figure this one out.

Bell has two years left on his contract. He makes $87,000.00 a year. That's a total contract value of $174,000.00. It will cost the athletics department twice as much in lost revenue over the next two years. Not to mention the affect it's going to have on recruitement of good players. No invitations to classic games like the CCC, Atlanta Classic ect... Who wants to invite you to games like these if you have no fan support?

Now before anybody says "He will do better after he gets his own players!" To that I ask? Would you send your highly sought after child to a school who went from 7-4 for three years, and was the top Offense in I-AA just a year ago, to being number 99, and who has a head coach who has no proven wining record on any level, anddd, who has publicly displayed a lack of respect for alumni, players and the media?

Now what caliber of player do you think he can attract to JSU? 3rd string high school players that who! Now you tell me!

I grew up in the football lockeroom of Jackson State. Back when the stadium was on campus. My dad played ball there and he would take me and my brothers to practice while my mom was at work. This was back in the late 60's. So I know JSU football. And no can tell me Bell has a clue as to want it will take to be successful in this conference. An SEC coach would be lost if he tried to take over at a Pac 10 school. The style of play is not the same. "When in Rome do as the Romen's Do"!

Jafus, please allow me to borrow your phrase for a moment.....

Shaking my head @ some of the ridiculous statements posted on this thread!!!

Originally posted by sop83
He is right, the lack of attendance is affecting the budget. They did not meet their projected forecast.

Look, it doesn't take an accountant's degree to figure this one out.

Bell has two years left on his contract. He makes $87,000.00 a year. That's a total contract value of $174,000.00. It will cost the athletics department twice as much in lost revenue over the next two years. Not to mention the affect it's going to have on recruitement of good players. No invitations to classic games like the CCC, Atlanta Classic ect... Who wants to invite you to games like these if you have no fan support?

Now before anybody says "He will do better after he gets his own players!" To that I ask? Would you send your highly sought after child to a school who went from 7-4 for three years, and was the top Offense in I-AA just a year ago, to being number 99, and who has a head coach who has no proven wining record on any level, anddd, who has publicly displayed a lack of respect for alumni, players and the media?

Now what caliber of player do you think he can attract to JSU? 3rd string high school players that who! Now you tell me!

I grew up in the football lockeroom of Jackson State. Back when the stadium was on campus. My dad played ball there and he would take me and my brothers to practice while my mom was at work. This was back in the late 60's. So I know JSU football. And no can tell me Bell has a clue as to want it will take to be successful in this conference. An SEC coach would be lost if he tried to take over at a Pac 10 school. The style of play is not the same. "When in Rome do as the Romen's Do"!

EXACTLY WHAT SOP83 said.

Originally posted by sop83

And no can tell me Bell has a clue as to want it will take to be successful in this conference. An SEC coach would be lost if he tried to take over at a Pac 10 school. The style of play is not the same. "When in Rome do as the Romen's Do"!

Hmmm........interesting. These ideas have been kicked around several times on this board.

I am a die hard Alum and a band head. I took the rid to Jackson for E&L, the "Boom" and of course the game when we played the "U". I had a great time.

But due the performance of the team, or lack there of, this year I cancelled out of at least three other games that I normally would have made the ride from New Orleans for.

I know others made siminlar decisions as well.

I personally think James Bell has worn out his welcome.

Again, "Tigerpride", I couldn't disagree with you more.

He should be gone as soon as the end of the semester!

Back