Jackson State vs Texas Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Agree

I agree with you Mike and Fiyah....the people on the sidelines need to be in the show...it makes the band looksmaller than what it is. The tubas definitely need to be on the field. I wasn't present, but having watched practice, those few people make a difference.

;) LUV DA BOOM

Fiyah I agree with you totaly. I sat in the stands near the Ocean during some parts of the game. At Halftime I was on the sidelines as well. I just have one question for any CURRENT "Boom" member. What was the logic behind the girls in the fat suits? That whole gimmick killed your entire show for me, and a lot of other spectators.

The J-settes were fantabulous as they always are. But I will give a slight edge to the "Motion" for song selection only.

Mellos- TSU
Trumpets-JSU
Bone-TSU
drums- JSU
Tubas-JSU

Halftime-TSU

5th- JSU (better song selection)

Both bands were very good. So all you other SWAC bands better beware of both TSU and JSU. DO not sleep on them, or you will be highly disappointed.

By the way NoiseTalka it was nice meeting you.

Originally posted by s phi s
Dayum...so many people at this game that I missed....:mad:

you aint miss me alumni. i called you when you were trailin jsu marchin out toward the busses. so are you a jsu advocate/camera man now?:D

well i enjoyed the show too. both did great.

i came in about 5 till halftime. halftime, both shows were tight. jsu had an edge on the drilling. tsu had the much better dance routine.

2nd half- i kinda didnt like what i was seeing in the 3rd. we could have done more damage if we kept the tunes really rollin especially when jsu still playin during the snap of the ball and we stop, and they facing the fans blowin. jsu trumpets did get it on:eek2: i was like damn they won. the tbone battle was a bit better than LDC we had a greater challenge. tsu25?/jsu32 bones. txsu got the edge and was bringin it a lil more but jsu brought the train:eek2: IMMEDIATLY after headbanger i think. thats how i know we got it. tsu mellos won forsho but dont play that fanfare again:shame: u know who might unleash it.

4th- it slowly narrowed down txsu redeemd themselves jsu just played more. we could have actually had two 5ths.

5th- now this was a good 5th (best since 5ths my crab year). both had good songs and tsu shocked them with the luther (very unexpected) and tocotta and fugue. jsu zoom was on point and a few other songs.

trumpets-jsu
btones- ???
bones- txsu
mellos-txsu
tubas- txsu was groovin like a mofo
drums-??? but FT basses is still TOO LOUD!!! DAYM!!!!

to be truly honest...... txsu was tight but jsu juuuuuuust barely got over with their consistancy in the stands. but i only saw the halftime and qtrs3,4,5 so hook me up with a tape s phi:D or whoever. dominion06......

Were all y'all at the same game???? :smh:

Some say TxSU was bringing it better than the Boom, while others say the Boom was bringing it better than the Ocean....

Shut-up all this talk.....Post the clips!!!!!!!

:dude:

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
Were all y'all at the same game???? :smh:

Some say TxSU was bringing it better than the Boom, while others say the Boom was bringing it better than the Ocean....

Shut-up all this talk.....Post the clips!!!!!!!

:dude:

Clips from the Astrodome are practially pointless, unless they're close to both groups.

Dayum...so many people at this game that I missed....:mad:

Me too, guess I need to get me a jersey made w/ Fiyah on the back so folks will come up to me and introduce themselves.....

I'd like to know why the BOOM kept playing that loud ass music while the game was going on after the refs stopped the game and told them to play only during dead balls. It was like y'all said "damn the game, we gone do our thang."

I was just waiting on a flag to be thrown on the team in such a tight game.

I don?t think the directors caught that. He!! We like to win, but also we have a job to entertain. I assure you it was nothing intentional.

The girls dancing came from the song we were playing, some song out of Memphis called jelly, it was a skit that went with the song, not a gimmick.

If you missed this game, you truly missed TWO of America's best.
You can tell by the responses, that BOTH bands were very entertaining. I'm always impressed with the "Boom," and this time was no different. From start to finish, the Boom on point!! My hat must also go off to the "Ocean of Soul." You guys were incredible!!!! Ya'll showed ya'll azz in the dome. Only one word can describe this matchup: CLASSIC
This is my breakdown:

Stands: JSU
Halftime: TSU
5th Quarter: JSU/TSU TIE!!!

I'm sure the opinions will go back and forth, but just realize and understand the "Sonic Boom of the South" & the "Ocean of Soul"
represented:eek2: To me, this was THE battle of the year!!!

As far as the rest of the SWAC, if you don't know how to swim by now....IT MIGHT BE TOO LATE;) Cause the "Ocean" is wreckin shop this year fo sho.

Speaking as a current member of the Ocean of Soul, this was truly one of the best battles that I've been in since I've been at TxSU. Props to JSU. Seeing that the last time I saw JSU was in 2000 UAPB vs. JSU (another legendary battle)

In my opinion, we got yall....(but I do tend to be biased sometimes:) )

Originally posted by Fiyah
JSU's dance was pretty good, but I didn't like the part with the girls with the big booty's dancing with the Drum Majors(that gimmic didn't work for me).

That big booty gimmick needs to be cut immediately. I'll leave that alone though. I guess the baby tiggers had to take a break.

Re: S phi S....

Originally posted by Incipience
Were you sitting on TSU side near the band, with the crew from PVU?
Nope. I was roaming the floor with a camera. I had on the black shirt with the light colored slacks.

Mr Freeze....who are you??? LOL @ JSU camera-man.....After all that backwards walking in the rain and up that steep arse hill, I ended up with NO footage of them marching out. I still don't know what happened but I am deeply hurt by it. I was looking forward to watching that footage. But now I have nothing.....:(

My opinions

I just came back from showtimemag to here some ugly smack from both bands and the ugliest is from JSU.

Really, to clear things up (and I marched but I'm never biased)

1ST HALF: JSU: on marches and songs (given we didn't play much owing to our team losing) Mostly what we played were hype songs and I'm So Glad

HALFTIME: The Ocean by a slight margin. The crowd was not feeling JSU's dance routines. Both drills were about what and what (though some people have claimed different) some of JSU's tubas were a little off in their spacing and vice versa with us. Field sound was there from both bands but the whole show our sound was more consistently clearer (we've played there before so oh well).

2ND HALF:
Bones: TSU
Mellos: TSU
B-tones: JSU
Trumpets: JSU (at times)

FIFTH: Was a tie until the OCean played Luther's song. That did it. I would give the OCean a slight W in the fifth in that JSU beginning a song with "Blowing" and then going into the song ruined the rhythm they had set up so good.

All in all both bands did great. JSU trombones were pretty good but for that many they were CLEARLY overshadowed by the b-tones and tubas. Someone on Marchingsport claimed the OCean wasn't balanced. That's not true. On the tape it sounded like a much better balanced and cleaner band than our previous years. JSU's sound was really impressive. Except for at times it really seemed like their concentration was focused solely on POWER.
:eek2:
Aside from the times that their baritones and tubas murdered the rest of the band their sound was really great. Going up against SU will be a really good battle given that they really are playing with power LIKE SU. (I'm saying that from the outside looking in)
Good showing both bands. Didn't get to meet Sonic98 and the rest of ya'll. I got the PM too late and I had some personal things to clear up with the fam. All good though.

Well yall know I don't post over here alot. I moved to the *******.com. lol. But i had to come over and send a shout out to all the folks I met this weekend. I had a blast at the game. S phi S and Dominion it was cool meeting yall cats.....just wish we could have stayed Saturday night. It was cool though finally meetin' S Phi S's non-direction giving, torn shirt arse and Dominion's family guy, bad wife havin' arse. ;) lol. Anyway, it was a great game. The Tiger Faithful were not as deep as we would have been if we were 3-0...but we clearly out numbered the TSU fans in their own town. Props to both bands for good performances. Generally in the past Texas Southern has always been LOUD AND SLOPPY to me. While the Ocean of Soul is not the most powerful band i've heard this year, they sound alot better to me. I would give away a little volume for QUALITY sound any day. So, i was glad to see TSU on the come up, as far is that was concerned, but the BOOM wore them out. lol.

It wasn't close in the stands during the game. The BOOM took it to the Ocean early and often. Halftime was kinda dry.....the fans didn't really give either band house. lol. The BOOM outdrilled TSU, but that doesn't take away from TSU's dril, which was nice. I don't like Texas So.'s field entrance....all of that swinging of the arms looks sloppy. The J-Settes ofcouse took the W, but both bands had alright halftime performances.

The 5th Quarter went to the BOOM. nuff said. Anyone from TSU...argue with me on that.... Now Texas So. did have some nice tunes but the BOOM laid the smack down....and saved some songs and left.

The part that no one mentioned is that "DA BAND" from MTV's MAKING THE BAND was at the game. They showed up right after Halftime. Me and Dominion took pictures with SARAH. Fellas she looks even better in person. smh. Choppa, Fred, Ness and Dylan said they had to get a picture with the J-Settes. lol. The JSU security had to check Fred...he wanted to put his hands on something. LOL.

I had a great time in Houston. Adrian, Dance-a-holic, Dominion, and everybody else...it was great meetin yall. I'll holla at yall for sure the next time im in Houston.

Re: Re: S phi S....

Nope. I was roaming the floor with a camera. I had on the black shirt with the light colored slacks.

Mr Freeze....who are you??? LOL @ JSU camera-man.....After all that backwards walking in the rain and up that steep arse hill, I ended up with NO footage of them marching out. I still don't know what happened but I am deeply hurt by it. I was looking forward to watching that footage. But now I have nothing.....:(

For a little while he was sitting in a little section right behind us (Ocean). Where were you? I saw Keagan and some other cats but I didn't see you? Nobody came over to the band that much (not like we weren't busy but still). Aye and who is Skip?

Well for those of you who don't know the "NOISE TALKA"...i was the one that was standing in front of your band cutting yall off and telling you to leave. lol.

YOU LIE. Again, what happened to all ya'll coming over to the band? We couldn't get out and mingle and me and some other folks was looking for ya'll anyway.

LilC did you see a guy wearing a hunter green shirt and a back pack standing in front of yalls band motioning to cut yall off and telling yall to leave.... That was me. lol.

TxSU is a good band, but JSU was great...even in the dome. I have seen TxSU 3 times this year and none of those shows was as good as what I saw from JSU overall Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back