Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2016-2017)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Actually, I thought the HDM was a lil over the top last year but there is absolutely no way you go from being HDM to not even making the cut a few months later. There is more to the story.... and maybe, just maybe Little only chose 4 to save his spot once he gets his act together.

We should have a J5... nothing more, nothing less.

Actually, I thought the HDM was a lil over the top last year but there is absolutely no way you go from being HDM to not even making the cut a few months later. There is more to the story.... and maybe, just maybe Little only chose 4 to save his spot once he gets his act together.

We should have a J5... nothing more, nothing less.

I agree he did to much, but last year I thought their entrances were waay too much.

The Prancing J-Settes will be celebrating 45 years at JSU's Homecoming this year!

SonicBoom1975.jpg
Jsette78.jpg

jsettes1979.jpg

images

All of that twisting and wiggling. Arms flailing.

smh

I'm sorry, I have to agree with him on this. I'm old school. I still like 'em but it's because too much of a dance troupe more so than drum majors. Too much movement............kinda like Usher. LOL

That's why folks watch them and focus on them. The BOOM is a show band, not a typical White oriented-type band.
JSU's drum majors are far better and more exciting to watch than one back bend.

That's why folks watch them and focus on them. The BOOM is a show band, not a typical White oriented-type band.
JSU's drum majors are far better and more exciting to watch than one back bend.

I agree, more exciting to watch. I'm fine with them..........but I'm a little old school.........sometimes it can be a tad much for me. I could use less pelvic thrusts/grinding. But still they're exciting.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Mr. Sanford has taken a lot of hits from JSU supporters. But we should give credit when due. He has successfully secured game day instruments for the entire band. From piccolos to tubas. Students will use their own during practices. I'd heard about this Bing in the works but honestly thought with the budget cuts it was put off. This will help with intonation. Big ups to him.

Mr. Sanford has taken a lot of hits from JSU supporters. But we should give credit when due. He has successfully secured game day instruments for the entire band. From piccolos to tubas. Students will use their own during practices. I'd heard about this Bing in the works but honestly thought with the budget cuts it was put off. This will help with intonation. Big ups to him.

You right man. Sanford been doin his thang as BD. Can't knock that at all.

Does anybody have knowledge of big or small the boom will be this year. Just curious
They have a small freshman class because there's almost 300 upperclassmen returning this mrn. They were really young last year and they will be at or slightly larger than last year. Will bottom out around 330-340!

Last edited:
They have a small freshman class because there's almost 300 upperclassmen returning this mrn. They were really young last year and they will be at or slightly larger than last year. Will bottom out around 350.
Thanks. That's what I knew but some boy who play n da band told me last night they were gone be little round 230. He had my blood pressure up all night. Lol

Lol! He is way off!
Yea dats Wat I said. I was like how hell we go from 337 to 230 with all the recruiting we've done . And Myers definently makes sure the boom has a few dollars for schollys so I know he was on bs but I needed some confirmation lol I was upset all night as much shit I been talkn to these other SWAC schools lol

Last edited:
Yea dats Wat I said. I was like how hell we go from 337 to 230 with all the recruiting we've done . And Myers definently makes sure the boom has a few dollars for schollys so I know he was on bs but I needed some confirmation lol I was upset all night as much shit I been talkn to these other SWAC schools lol
I was upset Sat when i saw how small our freshmen class was until they made me realize that there are 290 upperclassmen returning as well as some juniors that didn't march last year. We also have 2 transfers from Tenn State(btone player and a tuba player.)

Back