Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2016-2017)

Discussion in 'The Band Board' started by Blu Bengal, May 24, 2016.

1. Blu Bengal

Blu Bengal Active Member

Every summer, the Sonic Boom of The South Percussion Section holds a clinic with The Master's Touch All-Star Drumline. Mr. Calvin Berry, a Jackson State Alum, is the director of this program. He teaches private lessons to students of all ages in LaPlace, Louisiana. The purpose of this clinic is to help develop young percussive minds through discipline, & music.

Clinicians: Ousman Camara, William Bradford, Justin Sherrod, Juan Cloy, Christian Cone, Terrell Rayford, & Jaquarius Lewis.

2. Blu Bengal

Blu Bengal Active Member

The Sonic Boom of the South is so good, its in the NCAA Hall of Fame!

3. JSU Alum

JSU Alum Active Member

The reason they have four Drum Majors is, the Head Drum Major from last year didn't make the cut this year?

4. TBone2

TBone2 Boom 84-88

If he didn't; we have a spot for him somewhere else because we are not "POLITICAL".

5. a JSU Tiger

a JSU Tiger Active Member

It wasn't anything political about it, Little selected the best four!

6. Jsu Sonic Boom

Jsu Sonic Boom Active Member

He should feel really bad because he was the head drum major last year

7. Tigerpride

Tigerpride THE Logical ONE

Actually, I thought the HDM was a lil over the top last year but there is absolutely no way you go from being HDM to not even making the cut a few months later. There is more to the story.... and maybe, just maybe Little only chose 4 to save his spot once he gets his act together.

We should have a J5... nothing more, nothing less.

8. Jsu Sonic Boom

I agree he did to much, but last year I thought their entrances were waay too much.

9. Blu Bengal

Blu Bengal Active Member

The Prancing J-Settes will be celebrating 45 years at JSU's Homecoming this year!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Blu Bengal

Blu Bengal Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  11. Deerpark Tiger

Deerpark Tiger 135 years of Excellence!

Congratulations to the Dance team that almost every HBCU dance team has copied.

12. bernard

bernard ^Your Brain On Drugs!

Unlike another squad, I unequivocally can say "I've never seen a fat J-Sette."

13. tigertrail

tigertrail Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I have to agree with him on this. I'm old school. I still like 'em but it's because too much of a dance troupe more so than drum majors. Too much movement............kinda like Usher. LOL

14. JayRob

JayRob TigaPaw

That's why folks watch them and focus on them. The BOOM is a show band, not a typical White oriented-type band.
    JSU's drum majors are far better and more exciting to watch than one back bend.

Jimmyoliver likes this.
  15. tigertrail

tigertrail Well-Known Member

I agree, more exciting to watch. I'm fine with them..........but I'm a little old school.........sometimes it can be a tad much for me. I could use less pelvic thrusts/grinding. But still they're exciting.

16. Jsu Sonic Boom

Jsu in Vegas

Attached Files:

17. Blu Bengal

Blu Bengal Active Member

18. sop83

sop83 Kappa Alpha Psi

Mr. Sanford has taken a lot of hits from JSU supporters. But we should give credit when due. He has successfully secured game day instruments for the entire band. From piccolos to tubas. Students will use their own during practices. I'd heard about this Bing in the works but honestly thought with the budget cuts it was put off. This will help with intonation. Big ups to him.

sop1983 and JaySBlue like this.
  19. JaySBlue

JaySBlue #1SchoolPeriod

You right man. Sanford been doin his thang as BD. Can't knock that at all.

20. Jimmyoliver

Jimmyoliver Well-Known Member

Does anybody have knowledge of big or small the boom will be this year. Just curious

21. sop1983

sop1983 Smiley

They have a small freshman class because there's almost 300 upperclassmen returning this mrn. They were really young last year and they will be at or slightly larger than last year. Will bottom out around 330-340!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Jimmyoliver likes this.
  22. Jimmyoliver

Thanks. That's what I knew but some boy who play n da band told me last night they were gone be little round 230. He had my blood pressure up all night. Lol

sop1983 likes this.
  23. sop1983

sop1983 Smiley

Lol! He is way off!

24. Jimmyoliver

Yea dats Wat I said. I was like how hell we go from 337 to 230 with all the recruiting we've done . And Myers definently makes sure the boom has a few dollars for schollys so I know he was on bs but I needed some confirmation lol I was upset all night as much shit I been talkn to these other SWAC schools lol

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    sop1983 likes this.
  25. sop1983

sop1983 Smiley

I was upset Sat when i saw how small our freshmen class was until they made me realize that there are 290 upperclassmen returning as well as some juniors that didn't march last year. We also have 2 transfers from Tenn State(btone player and a tuba player.)

Jimmyoliver likes this.