Jackson State leader Ronald Mason applies for Southern University job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: JSU's MASON

And JROCK (SU) called him one of the swacs dummest. Good riddens. JSU will always weather any storm given to her, as well as all SWAC schools.

You guys would do yourself a huge favor by hiring Mason. I think he would come in and turn your school around

Once they meet her, they are going to fall in love.
No need for the paperbag or nothing. This is a perfect fit for SU
He shoulda just sent his wife to the interview...
Thats how they hired Spivery

Someone fill me in. Why in the world would anyone want a guy who had a backdooor plan to consolidate HBCU's as their schools nex president? What am I missing? How can this be a good thing?

On the other hand ... since this is the sports board ... Didn't he approve the Bell hire while at Jackson State...... He and Southern's board sound like a marriage made in heaven.

Someone fill me in. Why in the world would anyone want a guy who had a backdooor plan to consolidate HBCU's as their schools next president? What am I missing? How can this be a good thing?

On the other hand ... since this is the sports board ... Didn't he approve the Bell hire while at Jackson State...... He and Southern's board sound like a marriage made in heaven.

1.) There was no back-door plan. You need to listen to what JSU alums and people who know what they are talking about regarding that situation. Also, you yourself need to tell us how a state as small as MS is going to float all of these schools in a budget crisis. HBCUs were attacked by the state because our alums don't give back. Mason is smart enough to realize that if they cut Alcorn's ENTIRE operating budget again, it will be less than MS State's athletic budget. So what is going to happen when the state says they are not going to fund Alcorn anymore, give them the bare minimum and put the onus on the alumni? Closure or some pitiful shell of what Alcorn could be. That is the direction we are heading and someone needs to figure out how to stop it. The state is not going to give us more money.

2.) Yes, he agreed to let our AD hire **** but he also told our AD that if **** failed, that he had to pack his bags. Our AD and **** left the same time.

TP ...

So why would Southern want to hire Mason? .... Please don't say because he knows how to merge, downsize, consolidate, or close Southern.

Plus don't the state of Mississippi still owe the HBCU'S money from the consent degree. Didn't y'all get sold short?

HBCU's don't need people in positions of leadership who will work to help close them down, they need people who can tap money to help keep them open.

None of this makes sense to me. These same folks always seem to find money to do what they want to do.

It is really S__ __. It's tough all over. All we can do is watch our schools being slowly dismantled by ...( Us ).... a group of wolves in sheeps clothing who are being well paid to do the job and then convince us it's the right thing to do.

How you say ... This some BULL.

http://issuu.com/jmgcook/docs/jacksonianspring2010

Wonder how many Jackson State TSPNsports posters are listed in the section, JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY HONOR ROLL OF DONORS, pages 62-68?

But even that's flawed b/c Alums that donate to local Chapters are not listed with the Developmental Foundation. The money goes into the local Chapter's account and then the chapter sends one check down to the University in the Chapter's name.

We just had this discussion at the Chapter meeting two weeks ago...

:clap:

A lot of people make donations to the Chapter (purchase tickets to scholarship events) but don't get recognized.

Matters to some...doesn't matter to others. The Chicago Alumni Chapter gives away at least $10,000.00 scholarships every year to incoming freshmen and returning students!

TP ...

So why would Southern want to hire Mason? .... Please don't say because he knows how to merge, downsize, consolidate, or close Southern.

Plus don't the state of Mississippi still owe the HBCU'S money from the consent degree. Didn't y'all get sold short?

HBCU's don't need people in positions of leadership who will work to help close them down, they need people who can tap money to help keep them open.

None of this makes sense to me. These same folks always seem to find money to do what they want to do.

It is really S__ __. It's tough all over. All we can do is watch our schools being slowly dismantled by ...( Us ).... a group of wolves in sheeps clothing who are being well paid to do the job and then convince us it's the right thing to do.

How you say ... This some BULL.

You seem to be a prime example of the problem. Some people just don't think. I spoke to some people in MS who said they don't like Mason because he tried to change JSU's name. I asked them why would he want to change JSU's name. What benefit would that be for him? All they could say was, "that's just what I heard". They thought nowhere below the surface and was going on some gossip. Nothing you have heard is the real truth. You seem to want to think the worst without having one single fact. As far as the Ayers money. Ayers money is given to us in increments. That money runs out in about 10 years. Which is another concern of Mason's. What are we going to do when we lose yet another 10 million dollars a year on top of consistent cuts? There seems to be no plan that looks beyond next year....and that is sad. When all of this came about, a Valley alum said that their President assured them that Valley would not close and that she had a plan. I have yet to see or hear a plan that will keep Valley afloat in the wake of numerous cuts. There is big difference in being an open university and being a thriving university. With cuts, HBCU's have to cut staff and professors. We already talk about our athletic departments and customer service. We want one person to do comparable work of a 5 to 10 person team at a SEC school. Soon, all of that will be worse.

The bottomline is the state does not have to shut us down. They can just run us out of business. The same thing will happen in Lousiana. Eventually, the President of Grambling will be answering the phone and the football coach will be cutting the grass and lining the field again.

well they're the Top Two Candidates

#1 is Mason and then Hayes the True Southernite, sitting at #2
So you'll probably be content with the selection on the 30th.

Yeah, I also like the possible makeup of Southern's future leadership:

:tup: Ronald Mason, Southern System President
:tup: Kofi Lomotey, SU-Baton Rouge Chancellor
:tdown: Tony Clayton, Chairman of SU Board of Supervisors ...well, two out of three is not bad. :lol:

Me personally I would like to see General Russell Honore' as SU's Chairman - but that's wishful thinking. I also like what Kofi is doing as chancellor - he's extremely intelligent. Kofi combined with Mason or/either Haynes should be able to offset some of that dumb-arse foolishness us Jaguars have being dealing with in recent years!

Someone fill me in. Why in the world would anyone want a guy who had a backdooor plan to consolidate HBCU's as their schools nex president? What am I missing? How can this be a good thing?

I’ve lived in Jackson all my life; whenever Jackson State's enrollment increases and is prospering there is a conspiracy to remove the President or discredit his leadership ability. Same thing happened to ex- JSU Presidents John A. Peoples and James Hefner. The Clarion Ledger is fueling this conspiracy by highlighting only the negative about Mason and not the positive. JSU has seen tremendous growth doing Mason’s tenure and many people in Mississippi don’t want to see JSU prosper.

Whenever there is turnover in the Presidency at Jackson State, student enrollment drops which equals less state funding and budget cuts, which will lead to another conspiracy called “mismanagementâ€, that’s what some people want to see happen!

Don’t believe the “hypeâ€; Mason has been an effective leader at Jackson State.

I’ve lived in Jackson all my life; whenever Jackson State's enrollment increases and is prospering there is a conspiracy to remove the President or discredit his leadership ability. Same thing happened to ex- JSU Presidents John A. Peoples and James Hefner. The Clarion Ledger is fueling this conspiracy by highlighting only the negative about Mason and not the positive. JSU has seen tremendous growth doing Mason’s tenure and many people in Mississippi don’t want to see JSU prosper.

Whenever there is turnover in the Presidency at Jackson State, student enrollment drops which equals less state funding and budget cuts, which will lead to another conspiracy called “mismanagement”, that’s what some people want to see happen!

Don’t believe the “hype”; Mason has been an effective leader at Jackson State.

:nod:

Jackson State President Ronald Mason Jr., an attorney and a former general counsel at Tulane University, gets considerable credit for the accomplishments the university has experienced in the past seven years. Appointed in 2000, he has helped secure millions of dollars in investments, which launched the current construction boom. So far, he has overseen the construction of a new business school building, a liberal arts building and several athletic facilities. He has also expanded the school’s role in the community, becoming more involved in local economic development and public school reform. There has also been a dramatic increase in research by Jackson State’s science and public health faculty during Mason’s presidency.

He credits prior administrations with providing a solid foundation on which to build new initiatives. “There were more things going on here with the potential to build on than I realized before I actually started working here,” Mason says. “Federal agency relationships were as good as I had ever seen. There was a caring, hands-on approach of the faculty. The graduates were out getting jobs in places that I wasn’t aware of, so we had a lot to build on.”

Jackson State veterans single out Dr. John A. Peoples, the school’s president from 1967 to 1984, for putting the school on a path that took it from a teachers college to a comprehensive university. Lackey, a native of the Mississippi Delta, says HBCUs offered a lifeline for individuals like himself, who were desperate to escape a life of tenant farming on cotton plantations.

“When I came here, we were trying to survive, period. Jackson State was trying to educate Black folks primarily as teachers,” Lackey says of his student days in the early 1960s.

That would change with the Peoples presidency. A Jackson State graduate, Peoples had earned a doctorate in mathematics from the University of Chicago and later rose through Jackson State’s administrative ranks to become its president.

“Peoples decided that the school ought to become a first-class institution,” Lackey says.

The late 1960s and early ’70s were an uncertain and turbulent time for Mississippians. The successes of the civil rights movement were transitioning into anxiety over the country’s involvement in the Vietnam War. But under People’s leadership, Jackson State would begin its transformation into one of Mississippi’s most competitive higher education institutions. But the transition wouldn’t be quick, easy or painless. In 1970, local police shot and killed a Jackson State student and a 17-year-old city resident during a campus protest, provoking outrage from Americans nationwide.

According to Lackey, the city’s then majority-White population had little or no love for the presence of Jackson State and was not inclined to support efforts to expand or enhance the school. Despite the opposition, Peoples found ways to improve the school by prevailing upon the faculty and administration to seek non-state-based funding and support. He also pushed faculty members to earn their doctorates.

“At the time when I went back to Jackson State in 1967, there may have been five people out of a faculty of more than 100 that had Ph.D.s,” Lackey says.

Granted the urban university status in 1979, Jackson State has sought involvement in urban planning, community health outreach, local economic development initiatives and local school reform, which are functions urban campuses often tackle.

“Peoples wanted Jackson State to have a role in Jackson similar to what the University of Alabama-Birmingham and the University of Memphis were doing in their cities,” Lackey explains.

http://diverseeducation.com/article/6990/

Damn I feel old over here. Anyhoo I don't have a problem with either of the two finalist for the job and personally I'd have to give Mason the edge.

Some doubt front-runner for SU president

By JORDAN BLUM
Advocate Capitol News Bureau
Published: Apr 18, 2010 - Page: 1A
Comments (0)

On paper, where he scored the highest during last week’s formal interviews, Jackson State University President Ronald Mason Jr. would seem to be the leading candidate to become the next president of the Southern University System.

But some Southern faculty members believe Mason, 57, is the most divisive candidate, even though he leads one of the largest historically black universities in the nation.

The other two finalists are Leonard Haynes III, senior adviser in the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education, and Robert Jennings, former president of Alabama A&M University.

Southern officials insist nothing becomes final until the top contenders interview with the Southern Board of Supervisors and a decision is made April 30.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/91328594.html?showAll=y&c=y

Some doubt front-runner for SU president

By JORDAN BLUM
Advocate Capitol News Bureau
Published: Apr 18, 2010 - Page: 1A
Comments (0)

On paper, where he scored the highest during last week’s formal interviews, Jackson State University President Ronald Mason Jr. would seem to be the leading candidate to become the next president of the Southern University System.

But some Southern faculty members believe Mason, 57, is the most divisive candidate, even though he leads one of the largest historically black universities in the nation.

The other two finalists are Leonard Haynes III, senior adviser in the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education, and Robert Jennings, former president of Alabama A&M University.

Southern officials insist nothing becomes final until the top contenders interview with the Southern Board of Supervisors and a decision is made April 30.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/91328594.html?showAll=y&c=y
Reminds me of when he was selected as JSU's president. Mason will simply brush it off and do his job well. He's a true professional. Skin thicker than an alligators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back