Jackson State leader Ronald Mason applies for Southern University job

Status
Not open for further replies.

PV-PRIDE

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100409/NEWS/100409005/JSU+president+applies+for+job+in+La.

BATON ROUGE, LA. — The president of Jackson State University in Mississippi is one of two new applicants to lead the Southern University System.

JSU President Ronald Mason Jr. and Clarence Newsome, the former president of Shaw University in North Carolina, are the two latest applicants to join the pool of four semifinalists scheduled to interview Tuesday on campus, Southern officials said Thursday.

But the Southern president search committee still must screen their experience and backgrounds before it is certain that Mason and Newsome also will be interviewed Tuesday, said Murphy Bell Jr., search committee co-chairman.

“They both have some exciting credentials,â€￾ Bell said.

Southern’s stated goal is to choose a new president by the end of April. Interviews were originally scheduled for this week, but were postponed until Tuesday. Bell said it is possible more could still apply.

JSU's President Applies for SU Post

The president of Jackson State University in Mississippi is one of two new applicants to lead the Southern University System.

JSU President Ronald Mason Jr. and Clarence Newsome, the former president of Shaw University in North Carolina, are the two latest applicants to join the pool of four semifinalists scheduled to interview Tuesday on campus, Southern confirmed Thursday.

But the Southern president search committee still must screen their experience and backgrounds before it is certain that Mason and Newsome also will be interviewed Tuesday, said Murphy Bell Jr., search committee co-chairman.

“They both have some exciting credentials,â€￾ Bell said Thursday.

Southern’s stated goal is to choose a new president by the end of April. Interviews were originally scheduled for this week, but were postponed until Tuesday. Bell said it is possible more could still apply.

Mason has headed Jackson State — one of Southern’s top rivals — for 10 years. The public Mississippi college, along with Southern, is one of the nation’s largest historically black colleges and enrolls nearly 9,000 students.

Advocate Story

Wow, Mason has the blessings of this current administration in DC. He also is a good fundraiser. I am surprised that he wants to Jump to Southern though. He has been itching to get to Howard for a while. If Mason thinks that JSU is hostile, I wonder does he know what will happen in BR.

This news would make a lot of Jacksonians happy. He agreed to be JSU's President for 10 years. That 10 years expired in February. I know his wife is from somewhere in Louisiana...and she is VERY light skinned. :lol:

I like Mason but I think his time in Jackson has passed. It would be very exciting for us to get a new President.

Wow, Mason has the blessings of this current administration in DC. He also is a good fundraiser. I am surprised that he wants to Jump to Southern though. He has been itching to get to Howard for a while. If Mason thinks that JSU is hostile, I wonder does he know what will happen in BR.

Yerp..everyone knows he wants to be at Howard. :lecture: The move to Southern would be strange and at the end of the day, I don't think he will take it. I think he is a good administrator and a good middle man for the state and a university.

JSU has seen tremendous growth under Mason, both academically and fiscally. I would hate to see him leave JSU. Enrollment is up; also land around JSU has been donated to the school (from Cowboy Maloney family) to name one owner, to increase the facilities for student and community use.

Gee, this guy seems like the perfect candidate for an Alabama State position.. :lol:

At Shaw, Newsome resigned last year with Shaw in the midst of an ongoing financial crisis and more than $20 million in university debt.

On the other hand, I am just realizing that Mason is being considered to rule the SU system. That is not a lateral move and, if the money is right, I don't think he will pass up such an opportunity.

Also our old President is in the running for SU. Ole Jennings is coming for you SU. :lmao:

he'll get the job.....you heard it here first

Looking at the other candidates, he is the only choice they have. :lecture: Anytime you have 4 candidates and you add two more, you don't want the first 4. I don't know why that other guy from Shaw was asked to interview but Mason was clearly drawn in late for a reason.

They have put that man through the ringer at JSU since he first arrived and he withstood it all.

The only other viable candidate for the System President position is Leonard Haynes III - dude's resume is deep.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100410/NEWS/4100344/JSU+chief+looks+at+new+job

JSU chief looks at new job
Mason a candidate for post at university system in La.
Elizabeth Crisp • elizabeth.crisp@clarionledger.com • April 10, 2010

Jackson State University President Ronald Mason Jr. is a candidate for another college presidency, and with his credentials most likely will get a strong look.

The field for the Southern University System president's post in Louisiana already had been narrowed to four finalists, and Mason, 57, is being reviewed as a potential additional finalist.

Southern's goal is to choose a president by the end of the month.

Mason, who was away on university business Friday, said in an e-mail to The Clarion-Ledger that he had no comment. He has led JSU for 10 years, making him the longest-serving president in the state's public university system.

If Mason were to leave, Mississippi could soon have three universities without permanent leaders.

Most JSU alumni and students who heard the news Friday said they were surprised.

"It's disappointing," JSU senior Michael Morris said. "I would like to think that he's more focused on the issues we are facing - not applying for other jobs."

Morris said the fact that Mason was considering Southern - a JSU rival - makes it even more difficult.

"Up until this point I've been pro-Mason, but this makes me wonder whether his heart is really with Jackson State," he said.

Mason's tenure hasn't been without controversy, including:

A recent spat with alumni and students over an idea he floated to lawmakers about merging Mississippi's three historically black universities into a single school.

The push in 2008 for "quick take" eminent domain authority to enhance the university's neighborhoods. He later called the move "ill advised."

And a "no-confidence" vote last year from the Faculty Senate's executive committee, which cited a proposed unpaid leave program, the school budget, hiring practices and transparency. Mason eventually backed off the furlough program as well.

JSU National Alumni Association President Hilliard Lackey said the Southern job may be attractive to Mason because Mason is a Louisiana native and would be over a system, rather than one university.

JSU prez applies for Southern system job

N.C. college head also seeks post

* By JORDAN BLUM
* Advocate Capitol News Bureau
* Published: Apr 9, 2010 - Page: 1A

Comments (1)

* Print
* Email
* Save
* Reprints
* Twitter

* Del.icio.us
* Digg
* Facebook
* Reddit

The president of Jackson State University in Mississippi is one of two new applicants to lead the Southern University System.

JSU President Ronald Mason Jr. and Clarence Newsome, the former president of Shaw University in North Carolina, are the two latest applicants to join the pool of four semifinalists scheduled to interview Tuesday on campus, Southern confirmed Thursday.

“They both have some exciting credentials,â€￾ Bell said Thursday.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/90326734.html?showAll=y&c=y

Re: JSU prez applies for Southern system job

They been reporting that here in jackson for the last 4 days.
He is actually one of the FINALIST for the position.
They reported that something should be known today or at least by Wednesday.

They had a poll here on Wapt TV16 asking what should mason due.
Under 10% said stay at JSU.
Over 40% said take the job.
Over 40% said he should get out of education all together.:lol:
Bottom line is no matter how, the majority of the votes in that poll want him gone out of Mississippi period so I'll bet those votes was skewed with valley, JSU, and Alcorn posters.

Can't say that I want him gone off one fugg up so I'm gonna see how this play out because outside of putting his big arse foot in his big mouth with that merger fantasy, he has done a hell of a lot building up JSU and the surrounding area.
That fact cannot be argued with.
:tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back