It's time for high school football recruits to go the HBCU route

We also have to step into the 21st century.

I agree with that. Because the facilities at some of the PWIs are ridiculously better. We can easily sit back and say, "time for them to start choosing HBCUs" but HBCUs need to up their game somehow and entice a kid these days with more than "it's an HBCU". These days for these kids.........it's not like back in the day when kids went to HBCUs simply for pride reasons and the fact that their parents attended. Now, there has to be even more on the table. We're dealing with a different type of high school recruit now.

I agree with that. Because the facilities at some of the PWIs are ridiculously better. We can easily sit back and say, "time for them to start choosing HBCUs" but HBCUs need to up their game somehow and entice a kid these days with more than "it's an HBCU". These days for these kids.........it's not like back in the day when kids went to HBCUs simply for pride reasons and the fact that their parents attended. Now, there has to be even more on the table. We're dealing with a different type of high school recruit now.
Not the schools on the Fcs level. The SWAC facilities can match any conference on our level.

Who doesn't have an offseason program? LOL

giphy.gif

Concerning facilities it is easy for a a lot of these white schools...especially when you have alumni giving millions.

Correct. Those indoor practice facilities, separate practice courts, weight rooms, nutrition centers, hot and cold tubs, locker rooms with flat screens, pool table and PlayStations and Xboxs cost money.

Concerning facilities it is easy for a a lot of these white schools...especially when you have alumni giving millions.

Don’t forget also getting propped up by student athletics fees. The biggest thing we can do immediately is enact strategies that will boost enrollment. More full-time students, the more student fees generated.

Getting corporate and donor money is a waaaaay-past immediate thing we need to do

The bigger problem is HBCU people comparing HBCUs to power 5 schools and not FCS schools. If more folks understood that WE AREN'T POWER 5 or no where close, there wouldn't be people pulling that "time for them to choose HBCUs" card.

No elite 4/5 star athlete is choosing an HBCU over a Power 5 school. It's time to MOVE ON from that desire. Focus on comparing us to FCS peers. I bet our alumni giving rates are comparable to the Elons, NW States, etc.

STOP COMPARING HBCUS TO POWER 5 SCHOOLS.

STOP IT NOW

The bigger problem is HBCU people comparing HBCUs to power 5 schools and not FCS schools. If more folks understood that WE AREN'T POWER 5 or no where close, there wouldn't be people pulling that "time for them to choose HBCUs" card.

No elite 4/5 star athlete is choosing an HBCU over a Power 5 school. It's time to MOVE ON from that desire. Focus on comparing us to FCS peers. I bet our alumni giving rates are comparable to the Elons, NW States, etc.

STOP IT NOW

Gotta agree with you there.

Don’t forget also getting propped up by student athletics fees. The biggest thing we can do immediately is enact strategies that will boost enrollment. More full-time students, the more student fees generated.

Getting corporate and donor money is a waaaaay-past immediate thing we need to do

Morgan State, Norfolk and A&T make more in student fee revenue than some whole SWAC athletic budgets.

STOP IT NOW

Now this I can agree with. It irks me when I see us comparing ourselves to even schools like Ole Miss or Wake Forest. Just stop it. Hell we can't even look down on schools like Rice or UAB who got LONG money alums

Now I would put money on PV or Grambling having much better facilities than most of the Southland or even bottom tier FBS schools like ULM or Charlotte but let's stop with the Texas Tech comparisons lol

I think with the current climate of the country, I honestly think we are probably not far off from a 4-5 star committing right out of high school. They just have to have that right mindset though which unfortunately most of them don't have

Morgan State, Norfolk and A&T make more in student fee revenue than some whole SWAC athletic budgets.

Virginia passed a law not too long ago about schools can't have over a certain percentage of their athletic budget come from student fees (Norfolk and JMU were around 80%)

STOP IT NOW

Truth spoken!

Correct. Those indoor practice facilities, separate practice courts, weight rooms, nutrition centers, hot and cold tubs, locker rooms with flat screens, pool table and PlayStations and Xboxs cost money.

My son got a medium well Salmon grilled at LSU's football.....the FOOTBALL CAMP!!!! He said players can eat it everyday!!!! Imagine you in college and you can order a Salmon omlette for breakfast....the have a lite lunch...then for dinner have a grilled Salmon dinner with skewed vegetables....EVERY DAY!!!

You show a dude that who had to share a room with 3 other siblings.....where you think he going? LOL

Also...from what I understand the athletes can stay year around....I don't know if it's true.

My son got a medium well Salmon grilled at LSU's football.....the FOOTBALL CAMP!!!! He said players can eat it everyday!!!! Imagine you in college and you can order a Salmon omlette for breakfast....the have a lite lunch...then for dinner have a grilled Salmon dinner with skewed vegetables....EVERY DAY!!!

You show a dude that who had to share a room with 3 other siblings.....where you think he going? LOL

Also...from what I understand the athletes can stay year around....I don't know if it's true.

Dont forget the stipend...

That’s BS.

Pure BS - we got to make a kid into something and that’s a lot of time invested where the Power 5 gets a kid with the talent already so they can focus on small things immediately.

But a lot of Power 5s have kids with exceptional talent which allows them to hide flaws in fundamentals. You really think some of those cats are absorbing those huge playbooks? When you got to make exceptions just to get them admitted?

Best analogy - the great coaches get Lexus’ to start off with while we got to get a Hyundai and add on to it so it may run like a Lexus eventually. With this transfer portal now once you make a kid a Lexus then the Power 5s want to dump their lemons and trade for our Lexuses

Back