It's time for high school football recruits to go the HBCU route

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
We're getting some guys now thru the transfer portal but what if we could get them from the start.

ESPN’s The Undefeated featured a thought-provoking article on how HBCUs can survive in the 21st century. Historical Black Colleges and Universities have had many issues with finances, accreditation, and athletics — notably football.

Decades ago, countless prominent football players such as Michael Strahan, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Deacon Jones, Steve McNair and Shannon Sharpe honed their skills at HBCUs.

In 2016, there were 32 players in the NFL that played at HBCUs, which is a drastic drop compared to 1994 where 86 HBCU players were on active rosters. During the times when HBCUs were littered with NFL talent, the schools were viewed as the top resort. Now, HBCUs are akin to a “Last Chance U.”

When I coached high school ball a few years ago, me & some of the other coaches explained the importance of HBCUS, especially now with Trump in office, & we said they should seriously look into them.

That was 3 years ago, & a few guys signed with HBCUS, but we had one sign with Bama this past recruiting cycle.

A lot of these athletes don't have the guidance they need, they have a broke single mom that controls everything and she wants her baby to buy her a big house, a new nice car so she can show off at church, and allow her to quit working 2/3 jobs to take care of her family. They don't think about the social, academic, and mental well-being of their children (most important) .... if they did, HBCUs would win more often

And people forget just b/c someone goes pro, it doesn't mean they won't go broke again .. many do.

Last edited:
A lot of these athletes don't have the guidance they need, they have a broke single mom that controls everything and she wants her baby to buy her a big house, a new nice car so she can show off at church, and allow her to quit working 2/3 jobs to take care of her family. They don't think about the social, academic, and mental well-being of their children (most important) .... if they did, HBCUs would win more often

And people forget just b/c someone goes to pro, it doesn't mean they won't go broke .again .. many do.
+10000000

1. Be smart in choosing who you play in out of conference play
2. Be smart with position coaches and strength programs. Your position coach should have them learning and doing nfl caliber footwork in practice.
3. Advertise the more affordable tuition and smaller classes
4. Start putting your legend's numbers and jerseys all over your sports facilities when they've graduated or left.
5. Hold position camps often on your campus.
I hope it happens, honestly. Money is so green right now and even some good ol boys are turned off by Trumpism if they're entertained enough. Ijs...

Most players see us (HBCU) as Last Chance U. Glad TSU got the kid from MSU. But let’s be transparent he came because he crossed the line. Not taking a hit at TSU because we have several that transferred in as well.

1. Be smart in choosing who you play in out of conference play
2. Be smart with position coaches and strength programs. Your position coach should have them learning and doing nfl caliber footwork in practice.
3. Advertise the more affordable tuition and smaller classes
4. Start putting your legend's numbers and jerseys all over your sports facilities when they've graduated or left.
5. Hold position camps often on your campus.
I hope it happens, honestly. Money is so green right now and even some good ol boys are turned off by Trumpism if they're entertained enough. Ijs...

Correct! Getting blasted by seventy points doesn't help your cause.

Remember the old saying .. "black folks have to be twice as good as whites to get half of what they get"

That also applies here. But most of our schools still have ivory tower people who aren't interested in advancing athletics.

Another point that I personally had to deal with with my son was the coach. My son was in the 7th grade at Haynesville, which is considered one of the football powerhouses in football in Louisiana. Well my son told me when the junior high team was cleaning the dressing room they found a ton of letters from HBCUs that were unopened in a box.

The head coach David Franklin, told my wife and I that my son should live with his grandmother in Haynesville because he would receive a better upbringing around him. I was like WTH!!!! After I had a few words with him in front of the black junior Principle he stormed out redder than a MOFO. Franklin talks down about ALL HBCUs. The parents feel that he walks on water. Especially the black parents.

One thing parents have to do is be the recruiter for their children. We have to show our kids HBCUs. When I took my son to LSU’s football camp I took him to JSU, Valley, and Alcorn to see their campuses. My son is wise and learned that football is a tool for him to get an education. He said “LSU’s football Camp is just to help me with my skills but my heart and mind is on a HBCU.”

Last edited:
AAMU has quite a few players that signed out of high school but had D1 PWI offers

Aqeel Glass - FIU, Missouri state
Jurial Caldwell - Auburn, USF, Temple, South AL, Utah
Davion Wheeler - Colorado, UTEP, Mcneese, UTSA
Xavier Billingsley - UNA, Kennesaw, Liberty, Fordham
Jalen McGhee - Charleston Southern
Kenny Edwards - Syracuse, Eastern Kentucky, UT-Chattanooga

All are Maynor recruits except Glass.

The key is getting them on campus to evaluate the overall university and culture

Back