It is 2003. Are black college marching bands still relevant?

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
Here is what some are saying....

Originally posted by bornthrilla:
Do you think the black college game stills needs the help of full sized marching bands to showcase our product?

Have the majority of BCF fans evolved to the point where they no longer need a specatular halftime show to draw them out to a good football game?

Originally posted by bornthrilla:
I think bands would be more beneficial at football games if they paid more attention to action on the field.

During the vegas game, SOuthern's band would start a chant of "defense Jags, defense. A lotta, lotta....defense, Jags, defense" every time we would get the ball.

On the other hand, A&T's band got called for a 5 yard pentalty because they were playing some arbitary song too loud in the stands during the game action. That had no clue what was going on on the field.

Originally posted by TooLiveThunderBro.:
Damnit Bornthrilla you hit the nail right on the head! The band should remember that they are there to support the team and should realize pregame, halftime, and after the game is their time. While the game is in progress the band should be the biggest group of fans in the stadium. Nowadays the bands are so busy trying to out play one another that I think they forget that they are at a FOOTBALL GAME.

Originally posted by 4BCC:
Just think of how it would be without a band, Everybody looking around looking for em'. I've been in those kind of games without the band and it just don't feel the same. Of course you are still into the game, but what about the fan that comes to specifically hear the band, you do have those kind of fans as well.

Your comments.....

I can't speak for all bands but I know that at Alcorn, we pay more attention to the football game. We have several things that we do to support the football team. Of course, on every touchdown, turnover, or big play we make, we'll play Cherokee. But we also have a defense chant that the band starts.
We also are known for talking about the refs when they blow a call against the football team. You would be surprised about how many times me or some of my other band members would be more concerned about what happened during the game than the band matchup. We would get out of the game and be talking about blown calls, botched plays, and bad plays that the coach called.

I think that alot of bands (at least in the SWAC) are more in tune with the football game. We don't have too many delay of game calls due to the band in the SWAC. Now, the MEAC is totally different. I heard that the MEAC bands will play all game long if you let them.

I think the trick is to find the balance between support and entertainment. i dont pratice 6hrs a day, to do a pre-game, post game, and halftime, and chant deffense. i am not a cheerleader, i am a musician, and an entertainer. let us not play except only on touch downs, fans cuss us out. let us play to much then it is the band fault why we lost.

what is the percentage of fans who go to a game who actually care about the game, i est. about mabye 10%, another 10% is band heads, 10% alumni, the rest is the people who go to the mall game day, and get G'ed up, just to go and HAVE A GOOD TIME.

i think bands and the football team should know their role, and their importance. we both need each (other just being honest), if you want more than your parents at the game.

bands today are more relevant than in the past i think. Before they intergrated us adn all of our athletes went to black schools, the Swac could kill the SEC easly. completely different sory now. when GSU played in cali, before the mentioned the score, they mentioned the band, same thing when we played Southen Mess.

Originally posted by Get Ready

To all you band geeks:

Could you do the rest of the folks a favor and shut your ass up and sit down sometimes during the game? Please help us....I know you think all those people in the stands and those people on the field are here to support you, BUT A FEW OF US ARE NOT.
I know you dont realize this because of the small twisted Xylophone world you live in but, SO OF US CAME TO WATCH THE FN GAME......not to hear you bump and blow them damn irritating horns and beat on them damn drums for 4 damn hours.

Play when you are suppose to play and the other 99% of the time STFU. When the refs tell you to quiet down, you might want to quiet down.

I cant believe you people are either so arrogant or just too stupid to realize that you shouldnt play as loud as you can, WHEN YOUR TEAM HAS THE BALL. Most of you dont realize this but, the QB sometime calls out plays while he is under center, and most of the time its imperative that THE OTHER PLAYERS HEAR WHAT HE HAS TO SAY

Just imagine how you would feel if the kid next to you were blowing his horn while your section leader was trying to show you how you are suppose to hump the ground or simulate doggies style or back that thang up or take out your lil flag and waive it or put one hand on the ground and kick or act like you are fighting or whatever move he is trying to show you that we have seen 1000 times already.

Now, I can appreciate a band just about as much as anybody (I think), but do what you are suppose to do when you are suppose to do it and you will be greatly appreciated by me and folks like me......that would be, football fans.

Thank You

The Get Ready

Originally posted by TruBluJAG
ROFLMAO @ the truth spoken here.

Man, you said a mouth full.......

I don't believe the question is relevent to all the quotes you posted.

You ask "It is 2003. Are black college marching bands still relevant"?

To me you're asking are the bands that give the black college football experience still needed in this day and age? (relevency) And to answer that question....YES they are. It wouldn't matter whether it is a black or white school. The bands are part of it, just as much as the football team is. Although the game will still go on without them, if it is known that they will not be there it will affect the overall attendence. If you took the bands away from every game that the SWAC has in one season, I would bet that attendance would drop by at least 30% and in some games by half. So the relevency of the bands are needed at our games whether or not you may think so, just because of a few times the bands played while the game was going on. Don't blame it on the bands because the players make a lot of bone head penalties too.

Originally posted by Fiyah
I don't believe the question is relevent to all the quotes you posted.

You ask "It is 2003. Are black college marching bands still relevant"?

To me you're asking are the bands that give the black college football experience still needed in this day and age? (relevency) And to answer that question....YES they are. It wouldn't matter whether it is a black or white school. The bands are part of it, just as much as the football team is. Although the game will still go on without them, if it is known that they will not be there it will affect the overall attendence. If you took the bands away from every game that the SWAC has in one season, I would bet that attendance would drop by at least 30% and in some games by half. So the relevency of the bands are needed at our games whether or not you may think so, just because of a few times the bands played while the game was going on. Don't blame it on the bands because the players make a lot of bone head penalties too.

I didn't make this topic up. This is an exsisting topic somewhere else. These are quotes that were related to the topic that was posted.

I agree with some of what was said in this topic. It is oh so true that we are there to support our teams first. Some schools are better than others in this category.

But honestly, it seems as though they are phazing SWAC bands out of the picture with the rules that have been implemented. Honestly, I don't understand for the life of me why a band is to play when their OWN team has the ball. That is backwards to me. It's like shooting yourself. And if you are at a school like mine, sometimes that is not a good thing at all....Then halftime was shortened to 8 minutes. I understand the intent of the rule and actually it makes lots of sense. But on the flip side of that, ever since halftime was reduced from 10 to 8 minutes, shows just haven't been the same. It's like as soon as you get out there it is over. It almost seems as if bands are rushing through shows now instead of giving the people what they want. But like I said, the intent of the rule is great.

Then they say that we can only play 5 and out after the game. I know we can play between plays, change of possesion, and timeouts, which is cool. But more often than not, you can't squeeze a full song in that time frame, and that is the longest that we have, other than halftime. So now you have band members who practice just as hard as anybody on ther respective campuses week in and week out only to go to games to be the second set of cheerleaders. Now I know some bands go a little overboard, but it's because they practice so hard to be the best at what they do. And the horn is being taken right out of their hands.

Now before the posse jumps down my throat...:rolleyes:....I am not suggesting that bands just up and play whenever, however loud, for however long they want. That is not what I'm saying. I know there are fans out there like Get Ready, who could give a flying flip about whether there is a band at a game or not. But truth be told, lots of the die hard football fans at the games want to hear a little more out of the band than they are getting.

This is a pretty good topic that lots of people will not be able to come to an aggreement on.

The bands are cool and all BUT, they have not been my primary incentive to attend the football game. I go to see the game itself. It has always blown me away to see all the people leave the game after the half time show or just walking around in general like they don't have nothing else to do. Don't get me wrong, I love the BOOM, but my concern is for the the outcome of the game. If JSU is not in the SCG, I won't be saying "Boy the Boom sho' put a whupin' on the Human Juke Box, The Sounds of Dynamite or any other band. I probably may be thinking, "That football coach gots to go!"

_ _ _.com

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
Are black college marching bands still relevant?

Grambling's isn't.

NSM. Boy that was a good one. You are by far the best smacker. PROOF:
As a former member of the BOOM I can tell you what the response would be to this....

BOOM: LOL.....FUGG YOU! *cranks up BLACK & BLUES*

That's just the truth. Now, i agree that the Drum Majors need to pay more attention to the game, so that they will know when to play and when not to play...but I think Liddell may have given them the go ahead this game since we were 0-3.....they were just giving the fans what they want. lol.

^^^That's the dumbest sh*t i've ever heard^^^^

smh....BLACK COLLEGE BANDS MAKE BLACK COLLEGE FOOTBALL BLACK COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Besides the BANDS WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

PWCs have all black teams now......what is the difference.
lol.

Change the name to truthtalker then.

I mean really, the band's presence is there BEHIND THE TEAM. Yet when practices take place at many schools THE BAND SACRIFICES SOME FOR THE TEAM WHILE THE TEAM SACRIFICES NONE. The team gets mostly everything first: funding, equipment, scholarship, recruitment......etc. If you don't like the band's at the games then by all means attend a pro-game. If you think the band should take a larger back seat GET BETTER COACHES.:rolleyes: Most of the folks that type nonsense like that and say words like BANDGEEKS are usually the GEEKS that couldn't march or play an instrument if they tried. It's so easy to label a man as a savage if he's not in the same village with you. Folk mad at the band cuz they get more name than BCF. It ain't the band's fault, you don't see coaches recruiting athletic bandmembers who run windsprints faster than their DB's so get with it.

It's sad but true, It's all about money.. If there were no black bands at black football games, hardly no one would show up. HBCU bands has surpassed the traditional tense of a band role at a football game. Meaning that the band is more of an attraction than the game in some places. The band could be a seperate unit and still make money..

Football players might not like that at all...

But to fans of HBCUs' it's the best thing since sliced bread..

A stop to what? GSU's slaw path of horror?!?! lol...

Anyways...

This is history...HBCU marching bands are apart of this history.

We ARE relevant, we ARE a vital part of Black College Football.

Verdict,
He/she/it whatever don't know...that's why i let it slide. lol.

SOMEBODY TELL THESE FOLKS THE LEGENDS ARE BACK!
lol

Since these people think that bands aren't important, let's see how many people are going to be in Veterans Stadium this Sunday when several black college bands are there performing. I'm quite sure that there will be several thousand people there to see bands!!
When was the last time that there about 20,000-30,000 people in Veterans Stadium just to see a football game with no bands? NEVER!! Bands are part of the Black College Football Experience just as much as the tailgates and the game.

As for Get Ready's comments. I find it funny that his screen name is the same as the name of the song that his band plays!!

Alcorn Warrior...correction....20-30,000 no....Last year the BOTB drew 50,000...and they look for even more this year. smh.

Originally posted by 98LastRip
If you start something I will put a stop to it...

You are not ready..

I see your slaw arse find your way every where......You went to GSU....

~Go to grad school and try again...~

SOMEBODY TELL THESE FOLKS THE LEGENDS ARE BACK!
lol

Your not a legend, punk!:lmao: :lmao:

Naw but for real.. bands are relevant today! Bands can draw more of a crowd anywhere they go then there respective football teams.

I mean.. was it SU's football team on MTV or SU's BAND? or GSU's football team on a tampon commercial or their band?

Case-n-point... Bands are a main attraction of HBCU football games and they attract their own crowd. I mean COUNT HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN THE STANDS AFTER HALFTIME excluding rival teams ie. SU vs Jsu/gsu(well ive even seen the classic empty out after halftime).

Those people who dont "like" the bands.. tough..get over it! There here to stay! Promise u this.. if SU and GSU bands dont attend the classic.. watch the riots! lol

AND DOWN!

all these old head swacpagers are coming back from the dead. finaly it's bout to get krunk up in here.

noise talka and last rip wassup

Originally posted by Alcorn Warrior
Since these people think that bands aren't important, let's see how many people are going to be in Veterans Stadium this Sunday when several black college bands are there performing. I'm quite sure that there will be several thousand people there to see bands!!
When was the last time that there about 20,000-30,000 people in Veterans Stadium just to see a football game with no bands? NEVER!! Bands are part of the Black College Football Experience just as much as the tailgates and the game.

As for Get Ready's comments. I find it funny that his screen name is the same as the name of the song that his band plays!!
Here is my response to this issue on the Smack Board:
Originally posted by Robber
Dude, there will be umpteen bands in that place. To be fair, how many people do you think would show up if they had a football battle that included the teams from the exact same schools the bands are from???

So don't think because they gonna have all these damn bands in one place and a bunch of people show up means that the bands are more important. It's a damn special event. Like I said, put that many football teams in the same place and you couldn't sell enough tickets.

Comparing apples to figs will get your azz nowhere.

Back