It is 2003. Are black college marching bands still relevant?

I will never say that our bands are not important. But I will say that bands are not as important as the teams. Get Ready's post got lost in that "band geek" talk. His point is valid, however. On last Saturday, the Boom was simply wrong for continuing to play like that. I'm a diehard JSU alum. I don't miss a game. Haven't missed a game since they went to New Haven, CT. And I love the BOOM. Games are different when the bands aren't there. But they are different because our fans don't know how to cheer. We need the band to pep us up. But it needs to done without playing the song that allows the band to blow the hardest.

I went to the Houston-Miss. State game Saturday night with Get Ready and Bornthrilla. Fans at white schools don't need the band. On third down, them folk make more noise than any band could, screaming down the other team trying to disrupt their flow. They wanna make sure that the other team has trouble hearing the play call and cadence at the line of scrimmage. But they are quiet as church mice when their team has the ball. But it's all done by the fans.

Our fans on the other hand are generally quiet. Unless the band plays something like JSU's "Fired up, J-State. Fired up, hey!!!" or SU's, "defense, Jags, defense. A lotta lotta defense, Jags, defense," our fans don't make much noise. So, Noise Talka, that's your answer to the difference in BCF and them. Their fans know how to cheer. Ours don't.

Like s phi s said, it's crazy to think that a band would be blowing while it's own team had the ball. If you must blow during the game, do it when the other team has the ball. But after being warned by the refs, stop playing. The players have to hear what's going on to be effective. It's up to our fans to make noise to disrupt them. The band's loud playing shouldn't be the disrupting factor. Now, the band can play softer and it shouldn't be a problem. But trying to blow on the opposing band disrupts the game. And like it or not, it should always be about the game.

That's my $.02.

Let's look at a world which has HBCU's without bands...

Take away the THOUSANDS of people that marched for HBCU bands, and there goes millions of dollars the Universities had. Which takes away from the schools funding. Which makes the school less fortunate for adequate schooling thanks to funds. Which makes the school less of an attraction due to academics. Which further depletes the schools funding. Which in due time closes the school.

Still don't think the band is important??

Really. Believe it or not at HBCU games the BAND is what makes it a game. Without the band HBCU's have NEVER FILLED THE SEATS AND NEVER WILL. It's high time the bands were treated with respect (heckling azz fans, no love on campus come money-time) they deserve instead of always juxtaposed between rivaling the football team and the cheerleaders. Band geeks my arse! Bring that talk in the band hall and you won't leave it.

Originally posted by Chi-Tone
That's not what your sig says......
Allow me to explain, because I don't want any misunderstandings about my sig. That sig simply tells JSU opponents that you have no chance to beat us. Everything in that sig takes place before the Boom marches into the stadium. The game hasn't started. The opponent had no chance even before the game started. Really has nothing to do with the band.

not to offend anyone...but have u ever seen a movie about an hbcu football team gross over a million dollars
?

not taking away from our hbcu football teams...but do u honestly think..ticket sales would be the same if there was no band?especially if the team was piss poor..?????lets be forreal...if the team is sorry atleast the band is tight..and folks will tell u nowadays..i just came to see the bands

like chi tone said...

Let's look at a world which has HBCU's without bands...

Take away the THOUSANDS of people that marched for HBCU bands, and there goes millions of dollars the Universities had. Which takes away from the schools funding. Which makes the school less fortunate for adequate schooling thanks to funds. Which makes the school less of an attraction due to academics. Which further depletes the schools funding. Which in due time closes the school.

Still don't think the band is important??

and there u have it :cool:

Originally posted by SWAC31
not to offend anyone...but have u ever seen a movie about an hbcu football team gross over a million dollars
?

Not to offend either, some of those players go onto play for professional football teams that gross millions on a weekly basis. Have you seen the stands of those sorry football teams. They are normally not filled to 50% to capacity. There is normally not a corelation between quality of the football team and the quality of the band. Some teams may have a good football team and a sorry band. You never hear anyone say, "even though our team is whuppin' everyones azz, I'm not going to the game because the band iz sorry".

SWAC31,

I think the wins and losses of the team have a greater bearing on how many fans go to a game. I won't say that bands don't affect attendance, because it would be stupid to say so. A lot of fans come because of the bands. Just not nearly as many as you all are claiming.

Then you all should realize that the band is not that high and mighty when it comes to supporting the team and school as you all ASSume. If we're not appreciating the team in you all's eyes then what's to say WE DON'T FEEL THE SAME IN RETURN.:eek2:

People go the games for different reasons.
Nobody really can put an accurate count on it, unless there is a poll that can get any and everyone involved.
All we can do is ASSume anyway and believe that people think like us. :rolleyes:

People go to the games for different reasons.
I think a good percentage go, because they want to support their respective school/team.
A lot of people go solely to see the bands.
Some people go to see both the game and the bands (like myself).
Some people go, because they know a lot of people are going to be there and just want something to do. Speaking of only Jackson, it ain't like it's lots to do on a Saturday anyway!!!
Some people to go hang with their friends/frats/sorors or whatever.

Everybody does not actually sit down at the games and actually watch the game OR the bands. If that would be it, people wouldn't be walking during the game and/or hanging out by and around the concession stands.
Bottom line is that people go for whatever reasons, because they LOVE the SWAC Football atmosphere!

Not to offend either, some of those players go onto play for professional football teams that gross millions on a weekly basis. Have you seen the stands of those sorry football teams. They are normally not filled to 50% to capacity. There is normally not a corelation between quality of the football team and the quality of the band. Some teams may have a good football team and a sorry band. You never hear anyone say, "even though our team is whuppin' everyones azz, I'm not going to the game because the band iz sorry".

alrighty then... :smh:

and just how many of the multitude of HBCU players that the league is blessed with every year actually give back to the institutions that they played football for???

I mean, let's be real here... How many of those chosen few actually make it to the league??? How many of them actually go out of there way to give positive exposure back to the programs they matriculated from?

Not many....You can't say that about kids that participate in band programs. They don't come in here looking for a quick ride to the league, nor do they expect coaches, boosters, and compliance officers to cater to their every whim... The only thing they do is bust their arses to entertain the fans and represent the institution to the fullest....period.

I'm not knockin' HBCU football in general, but the truth is that HBCU band programs are just as big a part of HBCU football as the actual rivalries are...As I said before, it's a package deal....In addition to that, bandsmen prety much have to represent a true cross-section of an HBCU population...

Originally posted by crazylegs
alrighty then... :smh:

and just how many of the multitude of HBCU players that the league is blessed with every year actually give back to the institutions that they played football for???

I mean, let's be real here... How many of those chosen few actually make it to the league??? How many of them actually go out of there way to give positive exposure back to the programs they matriculated from?

Not many....You can't say that about kids that participate in band programs. They don't come in here looking for a quick ride to the league, nor do they expect coaches, boosters, and compliance officers to cater to their every whim... The only thing they do is bust their arses to entertain the fans and represent the institution to the fullest....period.

I'm not knockin' HBCU football in general, but the truth is that HBCU band programs are just as big a part of HBCU football as the actual rivalries are...As I said before, it's a package deal....In addition to that, bandsmen prety much have to represent a true cross-section of an HBCU population...

Well put...

To add to that...

Go check out SU football team record in the 80's, then check out the attendance........Just as many attended....Now I wonder why?

We all know the answer.....

Why are you guys arguing with these idiots. We all know why they come to the football game. Just look after halftime and see where the crowd is.

Originally posted by SUtrp96
Well put...

To add to that...

Go check out SU football team record in the 80's, then check out the attendance........Just as many attended....Now I wonder why?

We all know the answer.....

If you want to take it there, so what else is there to do in Baton Rouge besides attending SU football games? Traveling to N.O. don't count. Lets be honest. Can we say, the only game in town. Don't get beside yawself.

Originally posted by SUTuba96
Why are you guys arguing with these idiots. We all know why they come to the football game. Just look after halftime and see where the crowd is.
You think Jag fans get to Mumford Stadium at 7am and tailgate all damn day to hear y'all play a song??? Get real!!!

Originally posted by Robber
You think Jag fans get to Mumford Stadium at 7am and tailgate all damn day to hear y'all play a song??? Get real!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao:

:lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Originally posted by northern tiger
If you want to take it there, so what else is there to do in Baton Rouge besides attending SU football games? Traveling to N.O. don't count. Lets be honest. Can we say, the only game in town. Don't get beside yawself.

So I guess that goes for all HBCU's right?

Jackson (everyone goes to the game when their football team is sorry because there is nothing else to do) Besides the Ole Miss games

Alcorn to....huh?

Bama St. to huh? remember they football team wasn't all that great before, but attendance was still up

Oh yeah no one goes just to see FAMU marching 100 go because there is nothing elase to do in Tally ho.

Dude get off that crap, when SU football team was down and out, people could have stayed home or went to see LSU, if they wasn't at all interested in seeing SU band.....

Like some one mentioned before look at the attendance AFTER halftime at a HBCU game, that will tell you the story!!!!!

Face it in the HBCU world BANDS are JUST as IMPORTANT then the Football team........

See what happens when you try to take the bands away fro that atmosphere.......Schools will be losing so much money, and that will be the FALL of HBCUs as we know it.. Please believe that.

Noone is saying they aren't there to see the team play....that is the main event.......But that don't take away from the FACT that there are a large group that are there mainly for HALFTIME....for most of them that's like taking their kids to the "Circus" for entertainment.......In the HBCU world kids crave to see the marching bands perform.... Not to count the people that are just there for the after party, that leave after halftime...WHICH means they would rather go to a Battle of the Band rather than stay the whole lenght of a football game...

Open your eyes...

(sigh)...I will come right out and say it...people don't come out JUST to see the band play, but it is the MAIN reason. If the band is relevant enough to make A.W. Mumford Stadium one of the 20 Top places to be On Saturday, then it's obvious to more than just a few people.

Originally posted by SUtrp96
So I guess that goes for all HBCU's right?

Jackson (everyone goes to the game when their football team is sorry because there is nothing else to do) Besides the Ole Miss games

Alcorn to....huh?

Bama St. to huh? remember they football team wasn't all that great before, but attendance was still up

Oh yeah no one goes just to see FAMU marching 100 go because there is nothing elase to do in Tally ho.

Man you catch on quick.

Back