Is this the perfect time for Valley to go to the SIAC?

I continue to beg the Valley alumni I know to push their athletic department to schedule more “win friendly” football schedules. While I understand that they definitely have to take money games, a good athletic director can mix and match.

Begging a ACC/PAC 12/SEC/Big 12 for a big time money game is possible when you program is at least coming off a 4-6 win season. It’s a tougher when you are a 0-3 win type program. Valley’s yearly expectations could change if they start scheduling “one” P5 money game, one traditionally losing FCS program and one non contending lower division HBCU program every year.

Desperate times call for desperate measures fellas, so Valley shouldn’t be above getting on a bus to travel to lesser division HBCU’s if they are trying to monitor their checkbook every so often as well. There is plenty of evidence out their that support this formula. Especially for desperate programs in need of a winning culture or just a plain ole winning season to bring back fans.

Shout out to the early-mid 2000s wise minds at PVAMU that carefully sent the SWAC a message once the scholarships starting coming in piece by piece. They understood that after years of a losing culture, it was going to take a few fights with teams like Paul Quinn, Lincoln (MO) and Edward Waters in order to change the program's mentality before moving on bigger and better things.

When I worked at South Alabama, I watched the leadership team in the athletics department feed off of military preps and training wheel colleges in order to sell tickets and promote winning football before taking major steps.

Unfortunately, the majority of SWAC Athletic Departments don’t work very hard at football non conference scheduling, but I am always hopeful that Valley finds the right AD who knows the college football world. I never want to see Division I HBCU‘S drop down to Division II. We are already limited. I am rooting for them to get things going.

Examples of a “Win Friendly” Schedule for Valley:

Example I
Presbyterian
Kansas
Texas College

Example II
Southwestern Assemblies of God
Johnson C Smith
Eastern Tennessee

(Even if these are all away games.)

Valley would at least give themselves a legitimate shot at taking on the SWAC with a 2-1 or 3-0 non conference record. While most believed that a weaker non conference schedule doesn’t nothing for a program, other understand that you have to build a winning culture when you are losing for so long. When you are a traditional FCS Conference stellar that’s not a FCS National Title Contender, FCS Top 25 Poll Contender, HBCU National Championship Contender or even a divisional contender, nobody cares about how difficult our non conference schedule is! Anyone smart AD would take advantage of it.

If an Valley team that is 0-3 or 1-2 outside of the SWAC can find a way to always win at least 1 conference game like they seem to do each year, let’s sit back and see how many upset wins a 3-0 or 2-1 Valley team can in a “any given Saturday” SWAC. 3 SWAC wins after 3 non conference wins would give Valley an impressive 6 win season and help with recruiting.

If Valley went 0-3 with the above schedules, then I would definitely beg my Valley Alumni Buddies to wave the Delta White Flag. However, I can’t see them not having better results following that formula.

Forgive typos.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I continue to beg the Valley alumni I know to push their athletic department to schedule more “win friendly” football schedules. While I understand that they definitely have to take money games, a good athletic director can mix and match.

Begging a ACC/PAC 12/SEC/Big 12 for a big time money game is possible when you program is at least coming off a 4-6 win season. It’s a tougher when you are a 0-3 win type program. Valley’s yearly expectations could change if they start scheduling “one” P5 money game, one traditionally losing FCS program and one non contending lower division HBCU program every year.

Desperate times call for desperate measures fellas, so Valley shouldn’t be above getting on a bus to travel to lesser division HBCU’s if they are trying to monitor their checkbook every so often as well. There is plenty of evidence out their that support this formula. Especially for desperate programs in need of a winning culture or just a plain ole winning season to bring back fans.

Shout out to the early-mid 2000s wise minds at PVAMU that carefully sent the SWAC a message once the scholarships starting coming in piece by piece. They understood that after years of a losing culture, it was going to take a few fights with teams like Paul Quinn, Lincoln (MO) and Edward Waters in order to change the program's mentality before moving on bigger and better things.

When I worked at South Alabama, I watched the leadership team in the athletics department feed off of military preps and training wheel colleges in order to sell tickets and promote winning football before taking major steps.

Unfortunately, the majority of SWAC Athletic Departments don’t work very hard at football non conference scheduling, but I am always hopeful that Valley finds the right AD who knows the college football world. I never want to see Division I HBCU‘S drop down to Division II. We are already limited. I am rooting for them to get things going.

Last I heard they cant schedule FBS games because they dont offer enough scholarships for it to count toward bowl eligibility. But I agree, they need to only schedule games they can win OOC.

Last I heard they cant schedule FBS games because they dont offer enough scholarships for it to count toward bowl eligibility. But I agree, they need to only schedule games they can win OOC.
They just played EMU not to long ago. I am telling you TP, we would see a different Valley if the Delta boys came into SWAC play with a 3-0 or 2-1 record early in the season. At least every other season, Valley has to put together a non conference schedule that gives them a shot at seeing those types of days. I am rooting for them .

They just played EMU not to long ago. I am telling you TP, we would see a different Valley if the Delta boys came into SWAC play with a 3-0 or 2-1 record early in the season. At least every other season, Valley has to put together a non conference schedule that gives them a shot at seeing those types of days. I am rooting for them .

Well maybe they had 50 scholarships that year or EMU didnt care. Either way, I dont think they are consistently over 40 and that is why you can only name ONE team.

Man, we still on this? I thought it was settled? Valley needs to help themselves by dropping down. There is no reason to keep embarrassing themselves.

People are worried about the wrong things....Valley will be fine.... Let's worry about our own programs.... We are all about to be "Deep in the Red" if there is no Football season....

People are worried about the wrong things....Valley will be fine.... Let's worry about our own programs.... We are all about to be "Deep in the Red" if there is no Football season....
Yeah, not having football will definitely hit the entire college football world financially. Especially us!

What makes you so confident that “Valley will be fine.“ Just curious.

Dr. McClelland just shared on the Mike Pricns show that there is possibility that SWAC football
would not be played during the Labor Day weekend.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I realize the budget is important, however is it how you spend your money as well. MVSU has always been competitive and they were last year their record just did not reflect it. The new coach especially in football has them moving in the right direction and it would show this season if not for COVID impacting all athletics. In all honesty there are schools with larger budgets but are only doing slightly better. Let’s find ways to support and not degrade.

I realize the budget is important, however is it how you spend your money as well. MVSU has always been competitive and they were last year their record just did not reflect it. The new coach especially in football has them moving in the right direction and it would show this season if not for COVID impacting all athletics. In all honesty there are schools with larger budgets but are only doing slightly better. Let’s find ways to support and not degrade.

That's why the Commissioner is looking at a long-term plan for FBS. That means more revenue for Valley and all SWAC institutions. Being able to charge $1 Million+ for FBS games would be huge.

Yall need to stop these lies. Competitive is not having a losing record 90% of the time in every sport. I want to see Valley win. You all want to keep an easy victory in the SWAC. It's shameful.

Yall need to stop these lies. Competitive is not having a losing record 90% of the time in every sport. I want to see Valley win. You all want to keep an easy victory in the SWAC. It's shameful.
TP not the issue at all, just don’t want to degrade them. I mean If you want to say MVSU is an easy win there are others as well so just don’t point at MVSU.

BUT yall ARE degrading them calling them competitive in every sport, saying give them time, etc.... Its been 70 years? How much time they need?
TP I know I can never win with you, but if we are looking for this conference that is very competitive 1-12 not sure that will often happens. It does not often happen in the FBS nor FCS conferences. MVSU is good for this conference, you will see.

I am starting to believe that their is some truth to this. However, I don’t want to see any HBCU regress.

Examples of a “Win Friendly” Schedule for Valley:

Example I
Presbyterian
Kansas
Texas College

Example II
Southwestern Assemblies of God
Johnson C Smith
Eastern Tennessee

They need to schedule 3 D2 programs in non-conference like Lane, Mississippi College, Arkansas-Monticello to get their confidence up. They could make the Lane game a classic at Crump in Memphis.

Back