I'm Done - Democrats add gay marriage to party platform

:lmao:

So Moses wrote of his own death and inability to cross over into the "Promised Land."

Hhhhmmmm.....How many self written biographies are ammended with the death of the subject (not that the bible is a biography). How much of the biography of Malcolm X was written by him or with him? So if Aaron, his brother and the person who took over leadership picked it up and wrote the account of his death, does that change the fact that Moses wrote the book? Would you read below and say Malcolm did no coauthor his biography with Alex because Alex wrote the last part after his death?

After Malcolm X was assassinated in New York's Audubon Ballroom in February 1965, the book's coauthor, journalist Alex Haley, summarizes the last days of Malcolm X's life, and describes in detail their working agreement, including Haley's personal views on his subject, in the Autobiography's epilogue.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Autobiography_of_Malcolm_X

You dont believe in God and that is your choice, but the same old battles get old. You say you arent changing and I shole aint, so what is the point?

Dude, just stop. It's obvious many of y'all are delusional and picking at straws.

Christ constantly says, "As it is written". He also specifically refers to the Book of Daniel in Matthew and referred to the written Law and what Moses wrote about divorce in the law. The NT refers to the reading of the law in the temple on the Sabbath and high holy days.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Hhhhmmmm.....How many self written biographies are ammended with the death of the subject (not that the bible is a biography). How much of the biography of Malcolm X was written by him or with him? So if Aaron, his brother and the person who took over leadership picked it up and wrote the account of his death, does that change the fact that Moses wrote the book? Would you read below and say Malcolm did no coauthor his biography with Alex because Alex wrote the last part after his death?

After Malcolm X was assassinated in New York's Audubon Ballroom in February 1965, the book's coauthor, journalist Alex Haley, summarizes the last days of Malcolm X's life, and describes in detail their working agreement, including Haley's personal views on his subject, in the Autobiography's epilogue.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Autobiography_of_Malcolm_X

You dont believe in God and that is your choice, but the same old battles get old. You say you arent changing and I shole aint, so what is the point?

I don't believe in Your God. I'm open to proof that isn't some poorly analyzed synopsis you think he says.

Christ constantly says, "As it is written". He also specifically refers to the Book of Daniel in Matthew and referred to the written Law and what Moses wrote about divorce in the law. The NT refers to the reading of the law in the temple on the Sabbath and high holy days.

You want to know what he says about marriage? He said because of the hardness of your hearts, Moses had to allow you all a method of getting rid of your wives. Jesus then upped the stipulations. stating that if one divorces their wives, except for adultery or sexual immorality, commits adultery themselves.

Now, he did state that God did create them male and female, so this is the only statement he made on who should be married, but not homosexuality.

I notice a trend where one questions certain beliefs, they're automatically an unbeliever. Count me guilty, because I rather expand my mind.

we would hope that no church could be forced to perform gay marriages. I also thought a buisness couldn't be stopped because you disagree with the personal opinion of the owner, but we see where rhom et al came down on that. when you're talking about satan trying to shut up the church you can't say what man will do.

Nor can a church be forced to marry an inter racial couple. On the chick fi la issue that's cultural. The government has to stay neutral unless discrimination is proven. I would think that as a black American you would oppose all forms of discrimination.

Nor can a church be forced to marry an inter racial couple. On the chick fi la issue that's cultural. The government has to stay neutral unless discrimination is proven. I would think that as a black American you would oppose all forms of discrimination.

Now this is how I feel.

but I'm fuzzy on how homosexuals are being discriminated against in terms of marriage. they have the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex with some restrictions, that I have. we have the same right. they are asking for a new right that in most states, no one has.
marriage from the point of view of the state, is not about love. it is a contract between 2 people that benefits the larger society because the contract most often results in new citizens, ensuring that the society will continue. that is what the state thinks of marriage.
now if you want to talk about love, currently if I'm in love with my first cousin, I can't marry her (don't laugh I'm from alabama....it happens..lol). If I love 2 women (you know that happens) I can't marry them both. so even if your straight you don't always get to marry who you say you love. so if were ammending marriage laws so that anyone can marry anyone they love, it has to expand beyond same sex, but to anyone. what if I love another mans wife! could we share her dog? I love her too! you might say that's ridiculous but it's an extension of the same argument I'm hearing and it's not outlandish.

Well, there are a number of theories behind that. One is that because the black community has historically been tremendously harsh toward homosexuals that it creates atmosphere where those individuals are ashamed to come out due to fear of being ostracized.

Then there is no or limited access to health care, lack of education about the illness and having unprotected sex are among the factors that contribute to what we see. Others would say there are too many cats double dipping or on the down low which creates all sorts of issues.

Good points but like the others have said I'd add prison. During the 80s - 2000s incarceration rates increased dramatically for blacks. This happened to be the time when our HIV infection rates started to climb. So now we have a delima, how do we reduce the HIV infection rate. To reduce the rate we need to implement policies to counter the thing you mentioned and change sentencing laws for nonviolent offenders. I don't see the republicans helping out with this problem.

I will stand my ground. How long ago was the first MARRIAGE contract written?

I don't think marriage contracts were "written" as much as they were an oral agreement between tribes or families.

The Code of Hammurabi, from ancient Babylon, has written laws on dowry payments for marriage, which I guess could be the first written contract law on marriage. Either way, the concept of marriage as a "contract" between families has existed for a long, long time, probably pre-dating recorded history.

Yea. I agree. Look at the issues they support that tick you off. Look at the issues they support that you support. Then do the same thing with the republicans and let me know what you come up with. Remember the ramifications (racial, economic etc,) of the repubs.

I had enough. I vote on the issues and lately the Democrats have been doing a lot of things that simply ticked me off. This latest one is the last straw..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...arty-platform/2012/07/30/gJQAkvqxKX_blog.html

I'm likely going to vote Republican or sit out this fall.

Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Bible, plus testimonies of the patriarchs. These were passed down as oral tradition before then. Please cite the beginning of written civil contracts prior to then please. Thanks

Marriage was not religious in those days. Marriage began as a business arrangement between families. Polygamy and incest were also the norm in Moses' day.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Marriage was not religious in those days. Marriage began as a business arrangement between families. Polygamy and incest were also the norm in Moses' day.

What you are saying is accurate depending on the society. Heck, polygamy is STILL allowed in the Bible, is practiced in other cultures outside of the Western world and practiced defacto in many parts of Europe. What is very telling for me is that even in Greece and Rome, where homosexuality and pedophilia was not only rampant, but celebrated especially among the rich and royal families, it NEVER came to redefine what marriage was. Marriage has always been between a man and wife/wives. The states defines marriage in such a way that acknowledges a preexisting practice that came into being thousands of years before the state. The state did not invent marriage, which very much predates any democracy or republic.

No church can be forced to perform gay weddings. That decision will be left to the church pastor, officers, and congregation. Marriage is a civil contract. Don't confuse the ceremony with the contract.

BINGO!!! And that's exactly why I asked that question!! :clap:

Folks confusing the two!!!

Back