Howard Was Talked Out of Singing "PIMP" Song that won a Oscar

NASTYNUPE said:
You should have told her that what's a disgrace is how a movie about 2 fag cowboys could even be nominated for movie of the year. THANK GOD for the movie CRASH!!!!

I feel you on that, friend.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
You have no clue. Crunk, which is an offspring of New Orleans bounce, has plenty of culture in it. New Orleans was the only city where slaves were premitted to keep their African culture. African music is big on chants and drums. Bounce music foundation is chanting and strong drums and so is crunk. There is a documentary on Mardi Gras, New Orleans music and culture, that you need to check out.

Where dey at hoot, Where dey at.
It must be the "P" because it ain't yo face, It must be the "P" because it ain't yo face

Do it baby, stick it baby, Do it baby, stick it.

Yeah, Yeah, yeah

That's the culture huh?

Now, what you know about steppin' and ya betta not mention R. Kelly either. :lol:

Aren't we some sensitive folks today. Say something about crunk and folks get maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddd. :lol:

In essence, all I said to sum it up is the situation that Robert Townsend addressed in Hollywood Shuffle regarding the roles in the entertainment industry and it's still applicable in today. Just because we get an award for sportin' gold teeth still doesn't justify the image. Jaime Fox last year was a set-up for this. For every Ray, There's a Training Day, Monster's Ball, and A Hustle N Flow. Man, I forgot and Glory.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
AAMU Alum said:
Actually, the theme from "Shaft" by Issac Hayes won best original score at the Oscars back in 1972, but the message in your post is on point. I'm not a big rap fan myself, but I said much the same thing about the Academy, in that they actually considered the score, and its context in the movie. That's how the Oscar for Best Original Score is supposed to be evaluated.

Looks like the Academy is getting out of its stuffed shirts, and staring to loosen up a bit.

I hea ya..... :tup:

I think sometimes we need to learn how to accept progress when it's presented to us. Instead of being angry it took so long, be (at least) thankful you got it. I'm sure the person happiest when Denzel and Halle won the Oscars was Hattie McDaniel(rip) and Sidney Poitier...

It's easy to say "it's about time". But saying that (easily) diminishes what actually occurred. Let's face it, the Academy has always been dominated by a bunch of stuffed-shirt white men, who couldn't care less about the ethnicity or authenticity of any of black films. But, over a period of time, as more and more black films are being produced, they've had to pay attention to the art form. And in time, they've begun accepting it, even if it's a little at a time.

And for them to seriously consider the movie, and understand the role the song played in the expression of the script, and then to vote for it and have it win??? Shiddd, that's HUGE!!!!

And whether or not they did it to increase the ratings (among young veiwers or among blacks), they recognized the ART. Who's to say that in the next few years, they may ever create a category for urban films (I'd hope they wouldn't, but they could). Look at what happened at the Grammys. 25 years ago there was no 'Best Rap Album' category. Now, the Grammys are basically dominated by our urban culture music...

So it's progress.....

Be glad it's happening.

Stop batching about every gott-dayum thing........ :mad:

Taylor-Made'90 said:
I hea ya..... :tup:

I think sometimes we need to learn how to accept progress when it's presented to us. Instead of being angry it took so long, be (at least) thankful you got it. I'm sure the person happiest when Denzel and Halle won the Oscars was Hattie McDaniel(rip) and Sidney Poitier...

It's easy to say "it's about time". But saying that (easily) diminishes what actually occurred. Let's face it, the Academy has always been dominated by a bunch of stuffed-shirt white men, who couldn't care less about the ethnicity or authenticity of any of black films. But, over a period of time, as more and more black films are being produced, they've had to pay attention to the art form. And in time, they've begun accepting it, even if it's a little at a time.

And for them to seriously consider the movie, and understand the role the song played in the expression of the script, and then to vote for it and have it win??? Shiddd, that's HUGE!!!!

And whether or not they did it to increase the ratings (among young veiwers or among blacks), they recognized the ART. Who's to say that in the next few years, they may ever create a category for urban films (I'd hope they wouldn't, but they could). Look at what happened at the Grammys. 25 years ago there was no 'Best Rap Album' category. Now, the Grammys are basically dominated by our urban culture music...

So it's progress.....

Be glad it's happening.

Stop batching about every gott-dayum thing........ :mad:

I agree with everything you're saying it is progress. Just like it was progress for us to get the right to vote, and to be able to sit at the front of the bus, and eat/use the same restrooms as our White counterparts. Did we stand up and say "Thank You" then? So why should we now, especially if it was way past due...

I don't think we need to put on our straw hats, pull out the banjo and start runnin round the camp fire screaming...."Thank Ya massa!! Thank Ya"!!
;)

:hat:

northern tiger said:
It must be the "P" because it ain't yo face, It must be the "P" because it ain't yo face

Yeah, Yeah, yeah

That's the culture huh?

You thought of the worst lyrics you could, huh? DJ Jubilee is the KING of New Orleans Bounce music and he doesn't curse AT ALL. Of course others will come with their spin on it, but he is the best at it.

What’s the oldest known profession again? Could somebody tell me the difference between the street pimps and the corporate pimps? Aren’t they both about money and getting paid? What about the women on the street trying to survive versus the one who slept with the boss man to get to the top? Doesn’t it all come back to the dollar bill? I guess it’s different if you educated huh?

CEE DOG said:
What?s the oldest known profession again? Could somebody tell me the difference between the street pimps and the corporate pimps? Aren?t they both about money and getting paid? What about the women on the street trying to survive versus the one who slept with the boss man to get to the top? Doesn?t it all come back to the dollar bill? I guess it?s different if you educated huh?

So does that make it alright b/c corporate folks are doing it?
Yes it is the oldest profession. Again, does that make it alright?

southsuburbs said:
So does that make it alright b/c corporate folks are doing it?
Yes it is the oldest profession. Again, does that make it alright?

That?s it, there is no point. We find fault in everything except ourselves. Pimping is not new. Why are we always talking about being ashamed when most of the people in America aren?t ashamed of the horrible conditions they force people in the ghetto to live in everyday. No one is in the news being ashamed that little Ray Ray went to bed hungry last night. No one is ashamed that his mother is on crack. No one is ashamed that he can?t read. If black folks are so ashamed why do you never hear or see these same folks out campaigning against Washington to change these conditions? Most of the so call ashamed people are so far out of reality of what goes on in the ghetto. These same people don?t volunteer in the ghetto or go near the ghetto unless they have to.

jag4life said:
You thought of the worst lyrics you could, huh? DJ Jubilee is the KING of New Orleans Bounce music and he doesn't curse AT ALL. Of course others will come with their spin on it, but he is the best at it.

Man, I was just teasin'.:winkgrin:

But you know that song was big when it was out.

Just like dem girls were dancin' of "Yo Pimp Daddy".

jag4life said:
DJ Jubilee is a graduate of Grambling State.

northern tiger said:

I was reffering to the way the song is structured,strong drum patterns and chanting, not the lyrics:lol: . But you know that song went hard as L in the club.

northern tiger said:

I was reffering to the way the song is structured,strong drum patterns and chanting, not the lyrics:lol: . But you know that song went hard as L in the club.:lol:

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
I was reffering to the way the song is structured,strong drum patterns and chanting, not the lyrics:lol: . But you know that song went hard as L in the club.:lol:

I ma'member bouncing my arse to that!!!

CEE DOG said:
That?s it, there is no point. We find fault in everything except ourselves. Pimping is not new. Why are we always talking about being ashamed when most of the people in America aren?t ashamed of the horrible conditions they force people in the ghetto to live in everyday. No one is in the news being ashamed that little Ray Ray went to bed hungry last night. No one is ashamed that his mother is on crack. No one is ashamed that he can?t read. If black folks are so ashamed why do you never hear or see these same folks out campaigning against Washington to change these conditions? Most of the so call ashamed people are so far out of reality of what goes on in the ghetto. These same people don?t volunteer in the ghetto or go near the ghetto unless they have to.

SAY THAT THERE CEE DOG!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
northern tiger said:
Da Brat (comin' straight from the 60644),
WE ALL
WESTSIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Brat got a body on her. Man she is cut up. Most cats don't even notice that about her though.

CEE DOG said:

:tup: co-sign!!!

Damn, why the "n i g g a moment"

Why can't we just give props to the guys for winning an Oscar? Plus the performance?

delock said:
Damn, why the "n i g g a moment"

Why can't we just give props to the guys for winning an Oscar? Plus the performance?

That is all I'm saying...

Northern Tiger there are so many flaws in your arguement that I don't even have the time to tell you about them. I'ma let you figure it out by arguing with yourself.

Aint nothing but love for 3-6 Mafia.

I didnt giggle when they won ("I dont beleive these "Ni99as" won).

:lmao:

Tripple6 is bout to be Tripple Platinum now!!!!!!
GET that money yall, get now before its too late.

The exceptance speesh was okay, seems like it came straight from their Ghetto hearts.

36 for president!!!!!!!!!!!!

CEE DOG said:
That Brat got a body on her. Man she is cut up. Most cats don't even notice that about her though.

Her acting masculine and dressing like a man with those ugly braids might have a great deal to do with it.

lyrics

[Chorus 2X: Shug - singing] + (Djay)
You know it's hard out here for a pimp (yeen know)
When he tryin to get this money for the rent (yeen know)
For the Cadillacs and gas money spent (yeen know)
[1] Because a whole lot of *****es jumpin ship (yeen know)
[2] Will have a whole lot of *****es jumpin ship (yeen know)

[Djay]
In my eyes I done seen some crazy thangs in the streets
Gotta couple hoes workin on the changes for me
But I gotta keep my game tight like Kobe on game night
Like takin from a ho don't know no better, I know that ain't right
Done seen people killed, done seen people deal
Done seen people live in poverty with no meals
It's ****ed up where I live, but that's just how it is
It might be new to you, but it's been like this for years
It's blood sweat and tears when it come down to this ****
I'm tryin to get rich 'fore I leave up out this *****
I'm tryin to have thangs but it's hard fo' a pimp
But I'm prayin and I'm hopin to God I don't slip, yeah

[Chorus]

[Djay]
Man it seems like I'm duckin dodgin bullets everyday
*****z hatin on me cause I got, hoes on the tray
But I gotta stay paid, gotta stay above water
Couldn't keep up with my hoes, that's when **** got harder
North Memphis where I'm from, I'm 7th Street bound
Where *****z all the time end up lost and never found
Man these girls think we prove thangs, leave a big head
They come hopin every night, they don't end up bein dead
Wait I got a snow bunny, and a black girl too
You pay the right price and they'll both do you
That's the way the game goes, gotta keep it strictly pimpin
Gotta have my hustle tight, makin change off these women, yeah

[Chorus]

Brave said:
That is all I'm saying...

Northern Tiger there are so many flaws in your arguement that I don't even have the time to tell you about them. I'ma let you figure it out by arguing with yourself.

It takes flaws to know flaws my man. It ashame when folks just can't admit when they don't know the whole story, they won't know the whole story. Going back and forth with a concept versus reality is a waste of time.

I don't know why we attract so many self-righteous folks on here. But oh well.

Back